New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

They do, but they also get a lot of new cruisers also. The newer ships on the traditional 3/4s, helped pay off the Dream class early. I want to say the initial plan was for 5 years and it ended up about 3 years.

Disney was limited by the number of ships, but also there own lack of imagination. Carnival and Princess both run 7 day plus southerns out of Miami and FtL. Doing Aruba, Bonaire etc. One of the DCL Capts was asked why Disney didnt do something similar. His response was we cant do that with out PR. Really? Explain Princess 6 and 8 day southern trips, that dont stop, end or begin there. Disney had the perfect opportunity several times when there was 3 ships in PC for several weeks, several times to at least try them and see what happens. They did additional 3s and 4s instead. 5 day trips could have been thrown in the mix also.

Yeah that's what I mean why I say I'm their bread and butter. They seem to try and get the ones who are still happy with being on those "common" itineraries. And while they will never stop doing that, and shouldn't, there's now a lot more clientele who are itching for something more. Eventually, when you have a large chunk of your base who are passionate Disney cruisers and have been on all four ships, you have to expand a little bit.

I will say that I do hope they have more five nights. 3 and 4s are too short and on the last 7 night I went on, it felt too long by night #6. 5 nights would be perfect, especially since you could do a double dip at CC (or the new island) or a 5 night West Caribbean. Carnival and RC, probably the two biggest competitors, have a good amount of 5 nights. I know the Dream is doing some of those in 2022 so hopefully those will happen more often. Like I said above, there's plenty of people who would want more, but I personally didn't like how they had 3, 4, or 7 for a while.

Does anyone recall from prior new ships about how far in advance they allowed booking? I'm hoping the announcement on the 29th will give some insight. We currently have a July 2, 2021 cruise booked, which is obviously about to be canceled, but we'd love to move it to a 3 or 4 night on the Wish.

Does anyone recall from prior new ships about how far in advance they allowed booking? I'm hoping the announcement on the 29th will give some insight. We currently have a July 2, 2021 cruise booked, which is obviously about to be canceled, but we'd love to move it to a 3 or 4 night on the Wish.
Usually Disney releases the itineraries 15 months ahead of time. Unfortunately, the pandemic has thrown a curveball into everything.

Yeah that's what I mean why I say I'm their bread and butter. They seem to try and get the ones who are still happy with being on those "common" itineraries. And while they will never stop doing that, and shouldn't, there's now a lot more clientele who are itching for something more. Eventually, when you have a large chunk of your base who are passionate Disney cruisers and have been on all four ships, you have to expand a little bit.

I will say that I do hope they have more five nights. 3 and 4s are too short and on the last 7 night I went on, it felt too long by night #6. 5 nights would be perfect, especially since you could do a double dip at CC (or the new island) or a 5 night West Caribbean. Carnival and RC, probably the two biggest competitors, have a good amount of 5 nights. I know the Dream is doing some of those in 2022 so hopefully those will happen more often. Like I said above, there's plenty of people who would want more, but I personally didn't like how they had 3, 4, or 7 for a while.
Miami is 5/5/4 according to the contract assuming it hasn't changed.

I get what your saying. I just think Disney should have more options available as far as lengths and itinerary. They had the chance several times, they just passed on it.

Well now we know why it wasn't showing up on the webcams: they hadn't even placed the first block to start building it! /sarcasm

It appears I'm late to a discussion of port agreements and long term plans.

A good explanation of the port agreements was given by @truck1, but I would clarify a few things.
In Port Canaveral, the agreement is based on the number of large ship calls per calendar year, with the requirement increasing to 216 by 2024. Due to their smaller size, the magic class ships only count as 2/3rds of a call for each visit. Two of the new class ships are required to have PC as their primary homeport for at least 5 years, and the berthing rights and call requirement indicate that Disney plans to have 3 large ships there year round with one doing 3/4, one doing 5/5/4, and one doing 7s, although none of that is required by contract.
In Miami, the requirement is based on passenger movements (embarks+debarks), using fiscal years starting in October with contract expiration at the end of April 2024. Despite the contract stating future intentions, there are no specific requirements for specific ships, certain ship sizes, or itinerary schedules. (The specified berthing rights do limit Disney's choices, however.) Indications are that Disney is currently negotiating with Port Miami and/or Port Everglades for a longer term berthing agreement, either using a new berth 10 in MSC's shared use terminal in Miami, or possibly using terminal 4 at port everglades, which it appears Carnival Corp has vacated. Additionally, all written indications are that Disney's south FL plans are for one year round large ship doing 5/5/4, and a large winter seasonal ship doing 3/4 regardless of which port they might end up at.
In Galveston, the contract is only for an increasing number of calls by a ship no smaller than the magic class, although in recent years it seems that Disney has already been running below the required number.

So, for longer term fleet deployment plans, in the winter all 5 large ships are planned for FL with 1 smaller ship in Galveston, leaving only 1 small ship for Cali and/or NOLA. In the summer, 4 large ships are planned for FL, leaving 1 large ship and both smaller ones to split between Alaska and Europe.

Regarding longer voyages, I think the primary barrier is price. Disney likes to charge significantly more than their competitors (per person per day), and extending that to an 8+ day cruise makes the total price unaffordable for a lot of people and severely limits demand. They could probably do more one-off longer cruises than they do, but can understand why the don't dedicate a ship to 8+ night cruises like other lines do. Instead, they're going to focus on the 3-5 market (at least out of FL). I do expect that once they have more ships and the second island built, 4 or 5 night cruises with multiple private island stops will be relatively frequent.

( I would consider the Wish class a sub class of the Dream and not a stand alone class. Similar to what Royal did with the Quantum and Quantum Ultra class. )

I don't understand this idea that a similar passenger count makes them the same class. We can clearly see from the various photos (conceptual & construction) that the Wish has a dramatically different layout than the Dream class. Like, the elevator banks are in wildly different places, which indicates that all of the internals are probably different. This isn't like the quantum class where they just upgraded some venues and added new features. The Wish is going to be noticeably bigger and vastly different.

So, wait ...
Does today’s official recognition by DCL of the Wish’s construction mean Meyer Werft can reactivate the Hall 6 Webcam? I love watching the progress!!
Possibly. The camera in that hall, hasn't updated since March 2nd. And its been pointed at AidaCosma. Theres no reason it shouldn't have done its weekly update. It may have more to do with Covid restrictions as to who's actually working on the property vs a lines desires.

Well now we know why it wasn't showing up on the webcams: they hadn't even placed the first block to start building it! /sarcasm

It appears I'm late to a discussion of port agreements and long term plans.

A good explanation of the port agreements was given by @truck1, but I would clarify a few things.
In Port Canaveral, the agreement is based on the number of large ship calls per calendar year, with the requirement increasing to 216 by 2024. Due to their smaller size, the magic class ships only count as 2/3rds of a call for each visit. Two of the new class ships are required to have PC as their primary homeport for at least 5 years, and the berthing rights and call requirement indicate that Disney plans to have 3 large ships there year round with one doing 3/4, one doing 5/5/4, and one doing 7s, although none of that is required by contract.
In Miami, the requirement is based on passenger movements (embarks+debarks), using fiscal years starting in October with contract expiration at the end of April 2024. Despite the contract stating future intentions, there are no specific requirements for specific ships, certain ship sizes, or itinerary schedules. (The specified berthing rights do limit Disney's choices, however.) Indications are that Disney is currently negotiating with Port Miami and/or Port Everglades for a longer term berthing agreement, either using a new berth 10 in MSC's shared use terminal in Miami, or possibly using terminal 4 at port everglades, which it appears Carnival Corp has vacated. Additionally, all written indications are that Disney's south FL plans are for one year round large ship doing 5/5/4, and a large winter seasonal ship doing 3/4 regardless of which port they might end up at.
In Galveston, the contract is only for an increasing number of calls by a ship no smaller than the magic class, although in recent years it seems that Disney has already been running below the required number.

So, for longer term fleet deployment plans, in the winter all 5 large ships are planned for FL with 1 smaller ship in Galveston, leaving only 1 small ship for Cali and/or NOLA. In the summer, 4 large ships are planned for FL, leaving 1 large ship and both smaller ones to split between Alaska and Europe.

Regarding longer voyages, I think the primary barrier is price. Disney likes to charge significantly more than their competitors (per person per day), and extending that to an 8+ day cruise makes the total price unaffordable for a lot of people and severely limits demand. They could probably do more one-off longer cruises than they do, but can understand why the don't dedicate a ship to 8+ night cruises like other lines do. Instead, they're going to focus on the 3-5 market (at least out of FL). I do expect that once they have more ships and the second island built, 4 or 5 night cruises with multiple private island stops will be relatively frequent.

I don't understand this idea that a similar passenger count makes them the same class. We can clearly see from the various photos (conceptual & construction) that the Wish has a dramatically different layout than the Dream class. Like, the elevator banks are in wildly different places, which indicates that all of the internals are probably different. This isn't like the quantum class where they just upgraded some venues and added new features. The Wish is going to be noticeably bigger and vastly different.
Thanks I was going off memory.
The Miami contract actually stipulates a ship of 3500 passengers or more. That much i do remember.

The reason I say that the Wish is a sub class and not a stand alone class, is we simply don't have enough information to say if there's enough deviation to call it her own class. We've really only seen a few little pieces that may or may not be different. Just from the artists renderings structurally, and Disneys penchant lately for making things the same,, or close to it,, there close enough to be a sub class. I would change that when the deck plans come out and we see more of what Disney has done. Just a wait and see.

Still not seeing her but gosh that would have been nice...! Ladies on the bow, stern and in the grand hall... cant wait to see what other details they have in store for us!
The Lillian Disney Theater? She was a prominent artist, after all. Maybe Daisy can take over "oversight" of the nephews and whatever water shenanigans they pull on the top decks. Clarabelle for Lido quick service dining? Moana is getting a lot of love lately in WDW, but Nemo's Reef's equivalent could easily fit her IP.

My personal favorite, O'Gill's, would be ripe for a Merida/Brave theming. Mordu's Meadery? A highland themed pub would be fantastic.

I realize it doesn't all need to be female-centric, just following the theme of your post.

Using March of 20 as a start date, in theory, with an 18 month build time, she should be done Sept of this year. So, in theory, her Maiden should have been early Jan 22, similar to the Dream. MW had builds down to abut 14-16 months, so this would be the latest ball park. (Fantasy Floated out the beginning of Jan 2012 and did her maiden March 31 Dream floated out Oct of 2010, Maiden was Jan 2011)That would be under normal conditions. So, using July 22 as a neutral example, That would put her about 7 months behind. Give or take.

Using her original November 2019 Steel cutting that was mysteriously delayed, would put her at a May 2021 float out, and an August 2021 maiden. That would be a delay of 11 months, using July 2022 as the example (figuring June July August as summer months)

Without knowing what the new build time is, she looks farther along, for a Summer 22 maiden. All things considered, without covid and its associated issues, looking at whats built, and the amount of blocks waiting, I would guess at a early 22 Maiden. That would be with out knowing DCLs delayed maiden. I think shes closer to 4 or 5 months ahead. Which makes me wonder if DCL and MW agreed to a delayed hand over, similar to the Iona, when they pushed her sisters back to 24 and 25. This would keep MW busy while the waters settled a little bit from going from 3 ships to 2 per year with a reduced workforce, while Ionas sister takes shape as the first inline for the slower build times. Something I just thought of, is that a lot of the long lead items, are already in the pipeline getting ready to be installed, or are installed, and with Ionas sister also set for a 22 maiden, could mean storage space is at a minimum at the yard.
So now that we have seen the keel laying, is there a better idea of the time frame?
And based on the other photos of how far they are along with the build, would you expect the keel laying at this time or would it normally have taken place earlier?

So now that we have seen the keel laying, is there a better idea of the time frame?
And based on the other photos of how far they are along with the build, would you expect the keel laying at this time or would it normally have taken place earlier?
Time frame really hasn't changed. Im guessing around a 18 to 24 month build, starting April of 2020, which is when first steel would have started for some of the smaller pieces that were credited to the Wish in Neptun. Assuming the pieces in the video weren't missing labeled for the Wish. That would put it roughly December 2021 to April May 2022.Id say closer to May for a next summer debut if it holds.

Keel laying is a funny thing. Technically there is no true keel like say the Queen Mary in Long Beach where they lay out steel ibeam end to end and build off that.. Now,, they build pieces up to a certain size and weight ( restricted by the weight capacity of the crane in the yard and amount of room to move them) like giant legos and stack them and weld them. I beleive, the new way is actually stronger. Theyve had smaller blocks for a while and with Covid, things got moved around. Under normal conditions, it would depend on the yard schedule, and Disneys as to what specific block they'll use for the ceremony.They. can use any block. This time, looks like a bow block,probably the bulbous bow with thruters in it.. Dream and Fantasy used a bigger section further aft, like a midsection block.
Normally the ship under construction is in the aft portion of the dock and the new start is in front of it. This reduces the number of moving pieces, and reduces the chance of something happening. And reduces time.. The last 3 ships or so, this has been reversed. Oddesey, Cosma, Iona that i know of where they swapped spots late in construction. Not sure why that happened, but it did. Wish seems to be following this same schedule.

Time frame really hasn't changed. Im guessing around a 18 to 24 month build, starting April of 2020, which is when first steel would have started for some of the smaller pieces that were credited to the Wish in Neptun. Assuming the pieces in the video weren't missing labeled for the Wish. That would put it roughly December 2021 to April May 2022.Id say closer to May for a next summer debut if it holds.

Keel laying is a funny thing. Technically there is no true keel like say the Queen Mary in Long Beach where they lay out steel ibeam end to end and build off that.. Now,, they build pieces up to a certain size and weight ( restricted by the weight capacity of the crane in the yard and amount of room to move them) like giant legos and stack them and weld them. I beleive, the new way is actually stronger. Theyve had smaller blocks for a while and with Covid, things got moved around. Under normal conditions, it would depend on the yard schedule, and Disneys as to what specific block they'll use for the ceremony.They. can use any block. This time, looks like a bow block,probably the bulbous bow with thruters in it.. Dream and Fantasy used a bigger section further aft, like a midsection block.
Normally the ship under construction is in the aft portion of the dock and the new start is in front of it. This reduces the number of moving pieces, and reduces the chance of something happening. And reduces time.. The last 3 ships or so, this has been reversed. Oddesey, Cosma, Iona that i know of where they swapped spots late in construction. Not sure why that happened, but it did. Wish seems to be following this same schedule.
Yeah, there is so much variability now in when they do the keel laying that "ceremonial keel laying" has no predictive power for the build completion date. Just looking at the most recent handful of ships from Meyer Werft, I've found examples where the keel laying ceremony happened at Neptun Werft for the start of engine block construction, examples where it was done at Meyer Werft with an aft block for the start of construction on the first mega block, and like the Wish, cases where it was done with a bow block at the start of the second megablock construction.

More usefully, this keel laying marks the start of construction on the second megablock, which normal happens about 9 months before float out, with delivery 2-3 months after that. So they still seem to be on track for a presumed maiden in the first week of June 2022.

Thanks I was going off memory.
The Miami contract actually stipulates a ship of 3500 passengers or more. That much i do remember.

The reason I say that the Wish is a sub class and not a stand alone class, is we simply don't have enough information to say if there's enough deviation to call it her own class. We've really only seen a few little pieces that may or may not be different. Just from the artists renderings structurally, and Disneys penchant lately for making things the same,, or close to it,, there close enough to be a sub class. I would change that when the deck plans come out and we see more of what Disney has done. Just a wait and see.
Would you have a link to some of the renderings? I have only been on the Magic class and need to expand my thought process for the new ships.

Would you have a link to some of the renderings? I have only been on the Magic class and need to expand my thought process for the new ships.

These are the only 2 I know of off hand. There may be a 3rd, but I haven't been able to track it down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter