New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Which feeds would those be? :magnify::rolleyes1

Nothing secret sadly... but I am sure twitter will be full of live bloggers (is that still even the right term anymore?), The DIS will update us here as well as Facebook too I bet, and Disney itself will waste no time getting it up on their channels.

I'm not sure how I missed it but I'm just now seeing that Summer '22 itineraries have been released. More specifically, the Dream is being moved to Miami for Bahamas cruises. I know I'm late to the party, but this tells me the Wish will be taking over what the Dream did in PC. My next question is will the Dream stay in Miami when the Magic comes back from Europe?

I'm not sure how I missed it but I'm just now seeing that Summer '22 itineraries have been released. More specifically, the Dream is being moved to Miami for Bahamas cruises. I know I'm late to the party, but this tells me the Wish will be taking over what the Dream did in PC. My next question is will the Dream stay in Miami when the Magic comes back from Europe?
Wish is getting 1 of the 2 spots in PC. Right now looks like the 3s and 4s which is what traditionally DCL has done. The catch is, that assuming the original contract is still in effect, the Dream will only be in Miami for a few months before moving. Then the following year, shell be there a little longer, and finally year round. and also adding a 2nd ship somewhere along the line. Ill have to find the contract again. From what I remember of the original contract, it calls for large ships, with passenger counts that match the Dream class. ( I would consider the Wish class a sub class of the Dream and not a stand alone class. Similar to what Royal did with the Quantum and Quantum Ultra class. ) While that is happening, the PC contract is calling for 3 ships. So the Magic could move to PC for a few months or the Dream rotate back.

All excellent points. Is there not currently a contract for # of sailings from PC at this point then also for summer 2022..?

Found it. Currently, DCL has to make 150 PC sailings. Realistically, there 6 (104 for the Dream and 52 for the Fantasy = 156) over every year. 104 for the Dream and 52 for the Wish. Anything that the Magic or Wonder does, is surplus or covers a hole for drydock. After 2022, it goes to 180,(3rd ship part time) then in 2024 it goes to 216. I believe, each increase, corresponds or corresponded to a new ship delivery.

For Miami, starting in 2023, Disney is guaranteeing 360,000 passenger movements on a ship of at least 3500 passengers. (Dream class) on 4 and 5 day cruises, (5/5/4) and in Jan 2024, a 2nd seasonal ship, doing 3s and 4s. That contract expires in 2024, however, Disney was in the process of negotiating, and publicly said they were doing due diligence in exploring a competing port. With LHP a similar distance to Miami, as CC is to PC, I wouldn't expect them to go far.

Theres a lot of mud in the water over who is doing what and when, due to Covid. With the Wishes 2 sister ships delayed by a year each, things may change a little bit here or there, as Galveston is also in the mix of sailings.

Last edited:

Wish is getting 1 of the 2 spots in PC. Right now looks like the 3s and 4s which is what traditionally DCL has done. The catch is, that assuming the original contract is still in effect, the Dream will only be in Miami for a few months before moving. Then the following year, shell be there a little longer, and finally year round. and also adding a 2nd ship somewhere along the line. Ill have to find the contract again. From what I remember of the original contract, it calls for large ships, with passenger counts that match the Dream class. ( I would consider the Wish class a sub class of the Dream and not a stand alone class. Similar to what Royal did with the Quantum and Quantum Ultra class. ) While that is happening, the PC contract is calling for 3 ships. So the Magic could move to PC for a few months or the Dream rotate back.

I see. It would make sense for the Dream to eventually become the full time ship in Miami. Then you have one more seasonal ship in Miami and then the PC ships. Disney seems to like having the Wonder on the West coast for most of the year, so I bet that stays.

Or of course they could do something completely different since they have more flexibility than ever before.

I see. It would make sense for the Dream to eventually become the full time ship in Miami. Then you have one more seasonal ship in Miami and then the PC ships. Disney seems to like having the Wonder on the West coast for most of the year, so I bet that stays.

Or of course they could do something completely different since they have more flexibility than ever before.

Disney will have a lot of options, once the new builds are delivered and running. Question is, is there anyone at Disney that can think out of the box, and send them some where new? 5 day ultimate double dip of CC and LHP? Anyone? 8 day southern Caribbean's?
Disney likes the Wonder out there, but the Mexican instability is definitely on their radar, (and from what I understand the reason they havent been there in a while) and also, people love the canal crossings, so its a good excuse to mover her back and forth. And theres always Hawaii.

Disney will have a lot of options, once the new builds are delivered and running. Question is, is there anyone at Disney that can think out of the box, and send them some where new? 5 day ultimate double dip of CC and LHP? Anyone? 8 day southern Caribbean's?
Disney likes the Wonder out there, but the Mexican instability is definitely on their radar, (and from what I understand the reason they havent been there in a while) and also, people love the canal crossings, so its a good excuse to mover her back and forth. And theres always Hawaii.

Would it be realistic for the Magic to become full time in Europe? They'll have Florida/Bahamas and the West Coast covered.

I'd love it if DCL would put one ship in Puerto Rico (Old San Juan) so they could do multiple Southern Caribbean cruises, maybe even to South America. That would add new routes and encourage the Platinum members to try new things.

Would it be realistic for the Magic to become full time in Europe? They'll have Florida/Bahamas and the West Coast covered.
I honestly dont know. In theory, yes, but Ive never really kept track of what ships were over there full time, vs several months before moving. I was working on something with the DCL fleet disposition, and Ill have to go back and look again. but basically, DCL will have 7 ships. 3 in PC, 2 in Miami, Galveston, Alaska, and Europe. Those are givens. Things were ramping up in Miami and PC, so that may necessitate the Magic coming back to Fl. Im just going from memory here. It was like this ( This would be after all contracts are fully executed)
2 FT 1 pt PC (at least 2 Dream class)
1 ft, 1 pt Miami ( at least 1 Dream class possibly both just by the way the contract is worded) At least until 2024. That contract extension is still being worked out
Galveston up to 26 sailing of Magic class ship per year. This year would be 20 and escalates from there up to 2023. (even if DCL uses both 5 year options, starting in 2028, it would cap at 26 sailings per year. It also mentions or larger but, if the 5 are tied to PC and Miami, it may stay a Magic class)
Alaska Wonder
Europe Magic
Now, there was mention of the Fantasy showing up in Norway, so its possible that at some point, a Dream Class ship, could do a European instead of the Magic, freeing the Magic to explore new itins, in its off months from the pt Miami and PC trips. But, and Im surprised they didnt do this while she was over there for her dry dock, she still needs to do a proof sailing, if I remember correctly, and was supposed to be a 1 off sailing. Just from memory, the area she was supposed to go to, is a lot like Key West. Under ideal conditions, basically from the Freedom class and smaller can call on KW and this port, but should the weather turn, they cant make it in due to channel restrictions. Which is why only the smaller, 90,000 ton ships call on KW.

This is also not counting anything else DCL does along the way. Tampa, which was an early front runner back in the 90s for DCLs homeport, NOLA, NYC are all potential temporary or seasonal homeports for the fleet. Tampa, probably not that likely for a number of reasons, but NOLA and NYC would be strong potential future ports.

I'd love it if DCL would put one ship in Puerto Rico (Old San Juan) so they could do multiple Southern Caribbean cruises, maybe even to South America. That would add new routes and encourage the Platinum members to try new things.
That would be amazing

Disney could do a lot of things. And here I have to side with Abigail Disney in that Disney as a whole, is losing its creativity. I understand that 3s and4s are basically cash cows. But for those of us who have done the 3s,4s and 7s, were looking for something new.

Next year I am booked for Alaska, so will have been on 3 out of the 4 current ships. I would like to give Fantasy a try, but honestly have no interest in the ports it stops at, apart from Castaway Cay. I would love it if they switched the current ships around a bit.

Disney could do a lot of things. And here I have to side with Abigail Disney in that Disney as a whole, is losing its creativity. I understand that 3s and4s are basically cash cows. But for those of us who have done the 3s,4s and 7s, were looking for something new.

Problem is everyone keeps coming back - and the newer ships on shorter itineraries makes sense because everyone wants to say they have been on it.

I think for a while they were limited with so few ships. But I think now that there are a lot more they will have more flexibility. I'm probably Disney's bread and butter because I would be just fine with their "cash cow" Bahamian and Caribbean cruises. But there's a lot of people who have done those so much they probably are wanting for other destinations that were harder to get to before.

Problem is everyone keeps coming back - and the newer ships on shorter itineraries makes sense because everyone wants to say they have been on it.

They do, but they also get a lot of new cruisers also. The newer ships on the traditional 3/4s, helped pay off the Dream class early. I want to say the initial plan was for 5 years and it ended up about 3 years.

I think for a while they were limited with so few ships. But I think now that there are a lot more they will have more flexibility. I'm probably Disney's bread and butter because I would be just fine with their "cash cow" Bahamian and Caribbean cruises. But there's a lot of people who have done those so much they probably are wanting for other destinations that were harder to get to before.

Disney was limited by the number of ships, but also there own lack of imagination. Carnival and Princess both run 7 day plus southerns out of Miami and FtL. Doing Aruba, Bonaire etc. One of the DCL Capts was asked why Disney didnt do something similar. His response was we cant do that with out PR. Really? Explain Princess 6 and 8 day southern trips, that dont stop, end or begin there. Disney had the perfect opportunity several times when there was 3 ships in PC for several weeks, several times to at least try them and see what happens. They did additional 3s and 4s instead. 5 day trips could have been thrown in the mix also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter