New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Interesting take. I'd quibble with some of your points, but they do make sense to the average reader.

Yes, Disney will do everything to get the best possible loan terms when they do any long term financing. Short term as well. Its just good business. Disney being such a large, well respected company can usually negotiate for better rates than other less qualified companies.

By spending a dime on their ships I believe you are referring to the up-front cost. Of course the ships aren't free. They are paid for from the proceeds of a long-term loan and then the loan itself is paid off by Disney. They spend many, many dimes on their ships. It just goes through a middle-man.

Yes, they pay off loans from the revenue on the sailings. That's the only way they get the money to make payments. The only reason to pay off a loan early is if Disney has better use of that money. Disney might be able to borrow at a lower rate than the loan carries. Or the other possible uses of those funds don't provide a return large enough, so the excess cash is used to buy-down the loan.

Please understand that these comments are from a recovering bean counter who just wants to be sure that the realities of the world of corporate finance are better understood.
Yould have a better understanding then most people when it comes to the financial things. I dont mind it at all.
When I mentioned the Dream class being payed off early, I believe that initally DCL had anticipated say based on 70% occupancy. When the ships came out they were closer to 100% so they could make a larger payment over a shorter period of time. So the loan got played off earlier Could Disney have other uses, it's entirely possible I dont think anyone fully knows what Disneys up to outside their corporate offices

The upfront costs if it's not by 1 single loan from multiple sources, I'd guess and say they may have smaller loans. Rather then sitting on 2.4 billion for between 5 and 10 years. Though I wouldnt put it past them to rank it for interest. (Each Dream class ship cost 1.2 billion per Bob Iger.Not the 950 million each as reported.Watched him say it in the same sentence as no new ships) Say 15 million for the inital r and d, say 50 million for a down payment and then the balance when the ships are delivered. Yould probably have a better handle on that then I do. I agree that Disney ultimately pays for it, there just not paying the whole cost up front. There doing it over time. If I understand this correctly.

I just hope they have decent size pools and not the bathtubs they currently have on the Dream / Fantasy.
Based on the other lines' latest ships, I would not hold my breath waiting for bigger pools. Most of the lines are putting the bulk of their upper deck space into things that they can charge extra for, like go-carts, laser tag, roller coasters, adult-only clubs, exclusive areas for high-dollar passengers (i.e, NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club), etc. The newer ships are becoming a la cart priced resorts on the seas.

Based on the other lines' latest ships, I would not hold my breath waiting for bigger pools. Most of the lines are putting the bulk of their upper deck space into things that they can charge extra for, like go-carts, laser tag, roller coasters, adult-only clubs, exclusive areas for high-dollar passengers (i.e, NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club), etc. The newer ships are becoming a la cart priced resorts on the seas.

RC's Oasis class have 4 pools (not including adults only pools) for families AND great splash areas. They also don't charge for their extras like Flowrider, Zip Line, etc. That's NCL that does that - AND their pools (Breakaway/Getaway) are as bad as Disney's!

Most of the lines are putting the bulk of their upper deck space into things that they can charge extra for, like go-carts, laser tag, roller coasters, adult-only clubs, exclusive areas for high-dollar passengers (i.e, NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club), etc. The newer ships are becoming a la cart priced resorts on the seas.

I hope Disney does NOT go this route! One of the best benefits to a cruise is that (almost) everything is already included in the cost. :sad2:

Not really, as another poster stated many lines have great pool space and decks, Princess ships have a lot of pools, I have been on Navigator of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas plus all new Royal mega ships and all have pools much larger. You can take the three pools on the Dream / Fantasy and it would equal the size of one pool on these ships. Are there others, as you mentioned, which are not any better? Of course but most cater to people wanting that outdoor space / lounging, enjoying the sun. Many also have indoor pool area to enjoy during cooler / colder weather climates or time of year.

This is one of the reasons that I'm looking forward to Virgin Voyages coming out. Unlike going more towards the 'a la cart,' they are going all inclusive.
No idea what to expect from the new DCL ships though.

What I hope most is that they don't go the charge-to-play route. One of my favorite things about Disney is that they haven't done that, with only a few minor exceptions. One of the things I love about cruising with them is stepping on the ship and not thinking about money for a week.

Not really, as another poster stated many lines have great pool space and decks, Princess ships have a lot of pools, I have been on Navigator of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas plus all new Royal mega ships and all have pools much larger. You can take the three pools on the Dream / Fantasy and it would equal the size of one pool on these ships. Are there others, as you mentioned, which are not any better? Of course but most cater to people wanting that outdoor space / lounging, enjoying the sun. Many also have indoor pool area to enjoy during cooler / colder weather climates or time of year.
Check out the deck 16, 17, 18 & 19 plans for the NCL Encore coming out this fall. Very little space is dedicated to "free" activities and very tiny pools for the 4,000+ passengers. Also, look at the new Carnival Mardi Gras coming out next year.
Encore Decks
Mardi Gras Decks

I understand what you are saying ksdave but there are many others who do offer a lot of deck space. I am not a fan of Carnival or NCL to begin with. I appreciate you sharing the deck plans.
I was just on the Symphony last fall and it had wonderful deck space and pools. This was the newest RCCL ship.

Check out the deck 16, 17, 18 & 19 plans for the NCL Encore coming out this fall. Very little space is dedicated to "free" activities and very tiny pools for the 4,000+ passengers. Also, look at the new Carnival Mardi Gras coming out next year.
Encore Decks
Mardi Gras Decks
I wonder if the smaller pools are because they realize a pool isn't something that a lot of people are reeeeeaaaalllllly interested in. Maybe I am projecting some since I don't havemuch use for a pool, but I will dip into satellite falls when it gets warm. Ships have so much more ENGAGING entertainment, that a pool isn't engaging. The water slids and water parks are, as are splash zones. They might have figured that so many people are off doing other things, or using the deck space for sunning rathering than kid soup, that for those lines, it isn't necessary to have tons of pool space. Disney might need to keep the kid soup for tunnel vision movies.

I wonder if the smaller pools are because they realize a pool isn't something that a lot of people are reeeeeaaaalllllly interested in. Maybe I am projecting some since I don't havemuch use for a pool, but I will dip into satellite falls when it gets warm. Ships have so much more ENGAGING entertainment, that a pool isn't engaging. The water slids and water parks are, as are splash zones. They might have figured that so many people are off doing other things, or using the deck space for sunning rathering than kid soup, that for those lines, it isn't necessary to have tons of pool space. Disney might need to keep the kid soup for tunnel vision movies.

Could be but when the chairs are at a premium it means there are just as many others where the pools are important. My kids were never much for kids clubs and enjoy the pools. They were too old for the splash zone but too young for the adult pool area. One day in the pool was enough as they felt they were crowded if there were more than six people in it. Well at least that was our experience. They love the pool area on RCCL ships.

Well i will say when it comes to Disney that $10,000 family balcony includes a lot of the stuff that other cruise lines may make you pay for. one example is on Carnival the ocean suite is about the same thing as a family verandah on Disney. On carnival the suite on the newest ship in December 2020 would include priority boarding and disembarkation, the only things you have to pay extra for are some of the specialty restaurants, drinks ie soda, and internet. On Disney most to all stateroom come with all of the above included the main extra cost is internet and adult restaurants. so same itinerary in December 2020, Disney would cost around $7,240.60 and carnival will $4,386.08. On carnival by the time you may add up the extra costs you might still be under Disneys price. While the experience is what you make of it going into Carnival it can sometimes be a little better while spacing out you cruises on Disney.

Well i will say when it comes to Disney that $10,000 family balcony includes a lot of the stuff that other cruise lines may make you pay for. one example is on Carnival the ocean suite is about the same thing as a family verandah on Disney. On carnival the suite on the newest ship in December 2020 would include priority boarding and disembarkation, the only things you have to pay extra for are some of the specialty restaurants, drinks ie soda, and internet. On Disney most to all stateroom come with all of the above included the main extra cost is internet and adult restaurants. so same itinerary in December 2020, Disney would cost around $7,240.60 and carnival will $4,386.08. On carnival by the time you may add up the extra costs you might still be under Disneys price. While the experience is what you make of it going into Carnival it can sometimes be a little better while spacing out you cruises on Disney.
another thing is, now i may get criticized for this is that Disney does not always need to include there private island on Caribbean cruises that way they can do what they want with the lengths of the cruise and get different ports on the itinerary

I understand what you are saying ksdave but there are many others who do offer a lot of deck space. I am not a fan of Carnival or NCL to begin with. I appreciate you sharing the deck plans.
I was just on the Symphony last fall and it had wonderful deck space and pools. This was the newest RCCL ship.

We've been on 3 of 4 of the Oasis class ships and LOVE them! So much great deck space and so many pools! And on RC things like Flowrider, Zip Line, Rock Climbing Wall, etc. don't cost anything extra so I have no idea what some of these comments are about. 8-)

It's a FAMILY cruise line, with...you know KIDS! Not every kid wants to spend the entire cruise in a kid's club. Some actually like to swim, like my daughter. The lack of pools and "active" activities is what pushed us away from Disney. We still cruise but more on other lines.

Could be but when the chairs are at a premium it means there are just as many others where the pools are important. My kids were never much for kids clubs and enjoy the pools. They were too old for the splash zone but too young for the adult pool area. One day in the pool was enough as they felt they were crowded if there were more than six people in it. Well at least that was our experience. They love the pool area on RCCL ships.

Spot on. That's our experience as well.

The ONLY thing free to me on Disney that I would have to pay for on another line is soda. That's it. You must be drinking A LOT of soda to get close to a $3,000 difference. :-)

Would love a mexican coco theme restaurant!!

So, here we go again. Thought I throw in a new thread so we can start talking about the new ships.

What ship names would you like to see, who would you like to see in the atrium and aft, restaurant theme ideas, etc. So have at it..........

FOR NEW SHIPS:

Meyer Werft link:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwe...ffe/disney_cruise_line/disney_cruise_line.jsp

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/werft/das_unternehmen/webcam/webcam.jsp

News:

New Ships now being referred to as "The Triton Class"

NEW: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...-for-disney-cruise-line-terminal-renovations/

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/03/first-look-at-disneys-next-ships/

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/medien/presseticker/pressemitteilung_detail_22081.jsp

http://dclnews.com/2016/03/03/disney-cruise-line-announces-two-new-ships-2/

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...-lng-fueled-cruise-ships-beginning-late-2021/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/disney-cruise-line-plans-year-round-miami-presence/ar-BBNceBT

Estimated Launch Dates (more details will be added as they are released):

Ship 1 ~~ 2021 [rumor is it might be as late as November]
Ship 2 ~~ 2022
Ship 3 ~~ 2023

Rumors:

One of the new ships may sail an Asian itinerary

One of the ships may stay on West Coast and do Alaska and Hawaii

Rumors of trips to/from Australia

Suggested Names (alphabetical):

Disney Adventure(s)
Disney Atlantis
Disney Believe
Disney Black Pearl
Disney Bliss
Disney Castle
Disney Charm
Disney Discovery
Disney Empress
Disney Enchanted
Disney Enchantment
Disney Enchantress
Disney Endeavor
Disney Experience
Disney Falcon
Disney Fancy
Disney Festive/Festivity
Disney Figment
Disney Flight
Disney Flying Dutchman
Disney Frontier
Disney Galaxy
Disney Glee
Disney Grace
Disney Happiness
Disney Heart
Disney Hope
Disney Horizon/Horizons
Disney Imagination
Disney Imagine
Disney Jollity
Disney Kingdom
Disney Legacy
Disney Legend
Disney Liberty
Disney Lillian
Disney Marvel
Disney Merriment
Disney Nautilus
Disney Ocean
Disney 'Ohana
Disney Pearl
Disney Princess
Disney Spirit
Disney Splendor
Disney Star
Disney Tomorrow
Disney Triton
Disney Vision
Disney Whimsy
Disney Wish
Disney Wishes
Disney World

Suggested Atrium Characters:

Ariel
Blue Fairy
Captain Hook
Cinderella's Fairy Godmother
Daisy
Elsa/Anna/Olaf
Figment
Goofy
Mary Poppins & penguin or Bert
Pirate Mickey
Pluto
Roy Disney
Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs
Steamboat Mickey
Tinkerbell and Peter Pan
Walt Disney
Wendy and Peter Pan

Suggested Bow Art

Figment
Helmsman Mickey
Tinkerbell
Tuxedo Mickey

Suggested Aft Characters

Aladdin and Genie/Aladdin on Magic Carpet
Chip and Dale
Figment
Genie
Gepetto and Pinocchio
Mary Poppins and umbrella
Peter Pan and Tinkerbell
Stitch (upside down painting name)
Tarzan and Jane
Ursula

Suggested New Main Stage Shows:

Coco
Mary Poppins
Moana
Peter Pan

Suggested New Restaurant Themes:

Alice in Wonderland theme
Asian to honor Mulan
Big Band themed restaurant based on the 20's, 30's or 40's with dinner shows & dancing!
British (like Rose & Crown) to honor Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, etc.
The Brown Derby
German to honor Show White
Hawaiian themed to honor Moana
Mexican to honor Coco
Norwegian to honor Frozen
A Steakhouse!

{I would like to add that putting in one or more of these restaurants for dinner should require that the character it represents make regular appearances ::yes::}

TO HONOR CURRENT SHIPS (thanks to mmouse37):

Disney Magic - Godmother Patricia Disney, Atrium statue Helmsmen Mickey, Bow art Sorcerer Mickey, Aft statue Goofy with paintbrushes

Disney Wonder - Godmother Tinkerbell, Atrium statue Ariel, Bow art Steamboat Willie, Aft statue Donald and nephews

Disney Dream - Godmother Jennifer Hudson, Atrium statue Admiral Donald, Bow art Captain Mickey, Aft statue Sorcerer Mickey with Mops

Disney Fantasy - Godmother Mariah Carey, Atrium statue Mademoiselle Minnie, Bow art Sorcerer Mickey, Aft statue Timothy Mouse and Dumbo

Also check out mmouse37 post #22 in this thread to see the pictures of the art.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter