New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Interesting discussion about anchor damage. I wonder if the GC port authorities have considered putting in moorings?

Landubber here. What are moorings and how will they help?

Moorings are floating platforms attached to the sea floor by a chain, which is anchored normally by an embedded cement or concrete pylon. The ship then sends lines over to moor to the platform. It is essentially the same as anchoring as the ship is still free floating about the mooring, but there is not anchor chain nor anchor dragging across the sea floor. The moorings for each ship have to be space far enough to allow the ships to have a free swing area about it.

Oh, okay. So there would still have to be tendering, since this wouldn't be a dock, but then they could choose an area that doesn't have the reefs or where there will be minimal damage to thriving areas?

Oh, okay. So there would still have to be tendering, since this wouldn't be a dock, but then they could choose an area that doesn't have the reefs or where there will be minimal damage to thriving areas?
They could do a floating pier, but with hurricanes, probably not a good idea. I was in Singapore after a typhoon had goon through and we passed two (!) floating piers exiting the harbor as we entered. They were just floating out on the ebb tide with four or five tugs in pursuit.

Yes, that's it. The part that is embedded in the sea floor is typically emplaced on a sandy bottom, not the reef itself. A reef doesn't just cover the entire bottom, but is normally in "clumps" with space around them. I've actually done a dive in the GC harbor (beautiful visibility) and the bottom there is a combination of reef and clear bottom.

DCL Podcast Just tweeted that a new Disney ship name was loaded into his third-party ship app. It’s the Disney Triton!

In the vert first post on page one it states the new ships will be called the Triton class. I can see this just as the Disney Dream is part of the Dream class of ships. I hope it’s true!

More than likely it is a placeholder where someone was testing something but accidentally released it into the live environment. I don't see them just slipping it out there without some fanfare and a big to-do. BUT as someone who works in IT with some not always bright folks, I will allow for the possibility that someone on the App team screwed up and it could be real.

Last edited:
In the vert first post on page one it states the new ships will be called the Triton class. I can see this just as the Disney Dream is part of the Dream class of ships. I hope it’s true!

The "Triton" thing started several months ago when Port Canaveral released plans for the DCL terminal renovation, that labelled the ship in the diagram as a "Triton class" ship. None of this information is new, and has already been discussed exhaustively in this very thread.

The other problem with moorings is that your still subject to the weather. You may still get a ship moored to the float but it's useless if the tenders cant get to you.

Oh! So not even a little platform to stand on and tie up the ship, as I was imagining, lol. How does the ship use the mooring then?

Oh! So not even a little platform to stand on and tie up the ship, as I was imagining, lol. How does the ship use the mooring then?

Generally speaking no.

Basically a ship would move up close and a small boat like they use now at most ports would take a mooring line and attach hit to the float. Then the current or wind would move the ship whichever way and basically the ship would rotate around the float.

Maybe so...? I mean the other ships aren't themed Florida so that's hard to say. I feel like west coasters like NOLA themed things though - at least the people I know here in Portland sure do - so we'd be happy for it when she is over here! :hyper: Mostly I bet it was just that the restaurant is doing well and they have a (in my opinion) bland bar they can spice up so why not? Let the band play on and the night continue!

What is NOLA?

DCL Podcast Just tweeted that a new Disney ship name was loaded into his third-party ship app. It’s the Disney Triton!

My friend works in the engineering world and met with a Disney representative on his last work trip a few weeks ago. The project is referred to as Triton and absolutely everything is being kept under wraps. They are not disclosing anything - even to suppliers - when he sent me a msg saying what he was doing I was please find out names etc for me any info but he just laughed and said no chance!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter