New Dining Rules

Originally posted by peachgirl
You should go back and read the posts when the FTP was first announced. It didn't really affect DVC, but there were plenty of AP holders who thought it was terribly unfair that you had to purchase UPH's to get the 7 days for 4 rate.
I can only speak for myself and *I* was never unhappy about people getting good deals with the FTP. If someone else was, that's their issue.

Please do not get so defensive.

As you can see, I deleted my response because I could see where this was leading.

Since I don't see anything wrong with what is supposedly going to happen, I think I'll leave this thread to those that do.

Wow. I had something really relevant to say about 3 pages back but now, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was!!! Anyway. My first trip to WDW in '99 I knew no better. I used a TA. I asked the TA to include CRT for my dd's 6 b-day. Well, she called me 5 days after the 60 day mark had passed and told me she couldn't get it! Well, duh. Now, after finding these terrific boards, I plan all my stuff myself. Last trip down, booked room only, bought hopper passes and booked my ps's. For my trip in 3 weeks, did the same thing. I just hadn't gotten around to passes yet when FTP came along. So of course I jumped on that puppy! Thank heaven I hadn't bought my passes yet.
So, will this possible change impact my future plans?? Maybe. We probably just wouldn't eat at any of the places we have in the past. Hopefully, Disney will come up with something that will enable those with AP's and DVC members to partake also. We sure don't need anything else to bicker about, do we. I just don't think that anyone is more 'entitled' to eating at the nicer places than someone else. Am I right in thinking it will be basically only the park restaurants that will be impacted? Aren't the resorts and WS places already 120 days out?

Originally posted by peachgirl
Exactly!

Why some DVC members /AP holders seem to think that they are in a special class of loyalty that no one else can compare to is beyond me, but it isn't true.

Ok, maybe "loyal" wasn't the right word..how about a guaranteed repeat customer. It's not that I think I am better then anyother guest AT ALL!!!! But it is a special "class" regarding WDW knowing they've GOT us, not that we're better.
It has nothing to do with money, I bought DVC because it was more cost effective for soemone like me who vacations there 1-2 a year, not b/c I had alot of money to spend.
Like I said before I am 100% happy with my DVC and would never sell it. I don't know why anyone would make the leap from me not being happy about a newly implemented service to me not liking my timeshare.
This is not a huge deal to me(though the amount of time I am spending answering posts makes it seem otherwise LOL)..I just think it shouldn't be done and am expressing my thoughts on the matter. I don't know if I mentioned it here, but I maybe make 2 PS's a trip and go in the off season where they aren't really necessary, so it's not so much a personal thing as that i just don't think it's the right thing to do.
I used the example of DVC members and AP holders because that's what i am. I can't speak for anyone but myself.

I have a hold right now on a room at CR with the AAA discount because when I called DC the rate was not available. I too am hoping for AP rates and will buy a pass if they get released. Now I have 14 days to make my deposit of $225 for 1 night at the CR. People who book the room only package only pay $100 or $200 deposit in which I'm giving Disney more money to hold my room. At the 180 day mark which I'm way past now I cannot make ps's because I do not have a package, but I've paid more money.

I understand the DVC and AP holders getting upset as I am too as this is very unfair playing field for ps's. Discounts are totally different. It all depends on how Disney is doing and when you are going as to when/if they offer them. At least with ps's everyone was equal. Though I've felt for a while that it should have been an onsite perk, this move just blows my mind. Maybe when Disney calls and writes back to me they can explain to my 2 DD's why it may be impossible for their mother to get them in to have breakfast at the castle because I didn't book a package that I would have to pay for 2 days of passes we cannot use.

I am a DVC member and at the risk of being flamed, I am going to add my 2 cents....
I don't consider DVC members in a different class than others.
I do, however, feel that the new rules (if they are enforced as speculated) are unfair to DVC members. Here is my reasoning:
I spent a lot of money to purchase a right to vacation at WDW for the next 39 years.
I also committed to paying annual dues for the next 39 years to maintain the resorts that I vacation in. This money is paid directly to Disney on a montly basis.
Why shouldn't I receive the same perks as someone booking a package through WDTC?
Maybe I am bias in my opinions.
If you think so, feel free to point out why. But please don't be mean! :D

I have to agree completely with mickey crazed. Well said again it seems that DVC members are second class. I would think that the fairest thing is to allow all onsite guests the same booking dates-- Barb

I agree the most fair thing would be allow it for all on site guests. No matter how you are paying for it, you are occupying a WDW resort room. That deserves a special priority over offsite.

I read somewhere that CRT is not included but I don't know if that's correct. Also, I was on the phone with a CM today making a PS for September and I asked about this new policy out of curiosity. She had no idea and hadn't heard of it. She asked if I had been reading some kind of Disney related websites :rolleyes: and I said yes. She said only believe what is on the official Walt Disney website but I've found deb's page to be pretty reliable in the past so I'm guessing the CM just didn't know about it yet.

I totally agree that all on-site guest should have the advantage of making PSs. I just had a problem with the "loyalty" issue.

This has gotten way out of hand. I think we should end the debate nastiness now.

I agree completely with Mickeycrazed. We may not be booking with the travel company but we are already paying dues, and payments. I do not think anyone asked for pity but were simply pointing out that the new policy makes no sense. It seems a few people on this board have decided to take aim for reasons I am unsure of. I think people were simply venting. Cut them some slack.

Peachgirl - You keep saying that you don't really care about DVC and that you will wait to see what happens but yet you seem eager to rip into anyone with a different opinion. Nobody ever said that DVC members were in a different class I believe all that they were saying was that for the tens of thousands of dollars they are investing in Disney they do not understand why they are being excluded. They are after all investing in vacations as well. They are voicing an opinion and an issue they have. I hope that if you ever have to vent about anything that disappointed or bothered you when dealing with Disney that people are nicer to you than you have been to anyone here.

They used to have the onsite guest rule. I've been anticipating them putting it back to fill their hotels for a few years now.

However, Florida residents often "day trip." Shouldn't they - especially Florida AP holders, also have some ability to make PSs.

Here's my two cents - AP holders should be able to take advantage of the 180 days since CRO is combining with WDTC so therefore all "room only" packages will be booked with a paid deposit.

When you decide to use your DVC points don't you have to call to make the reservation and are given a confirmation number. I don't know much about the process but I'm sure you have to make some type of reservation. If it's through CRO/WDTC you may get that same confirmation number which I think you would be able to use when you call for a PS.

While I don't doubt that a new policy will be in effect next week it might be a good idea to wait until disney operators have the full info before we all get upset b/c AP or DVC can't take advantage of the new program. You won't know if your confirmation number will allow you to make a PS until you actually call next week and try to make one. Then, and only then should people get upset.

This new policy will just encourage me to spend less at the nicer restaurants if I cannot get the ps I want. I am a dvc member and AP holder who goes 3 or 4 times a year. I am sure there are many in the silent majority who will let their wallets do their talking for them

From my newsletter. I got this info just before I was ready to send it out so I couldn't confirm it but, if true, should solve the DVC and AP complaints:

NEW INFO: Looks like anybody booked at a WDW Resort will be
able to call 180 days in advance. This is not fully confirmed
yet so stay tuned!!!!! So, this should cover the above groups
I just mentioned but again, this is not confirmed.

This includes room only reservations but you still will have to have a deposit down and have your reservation number with you when you book.

Plus, only 50% of the space will be made available at 180 days with the rest opening up at 90 days.

Just to clarify...DVC members don't make reservations thru CRO or WDTC. We have our own reservations center with Member Services.

Good and sensible news! Thanks for posting Scott.

Hi Friends,

Just two things.

First, I also called and talked at length to someone at Disney Dining. He was indeed very aware of the changes that are about to occur. I asked specifically about CRT and he said that he thought that it was included.... Given what I have read on this post, I think that I will be checking again come Sunday to see what the real story is... I am just thinking all of it is too new right now.

Second. Wow, I am just realizing what a huge impact this is going to have on people staying off-site. It will be extremely difficult to get specific Disney Dining PS's if you are not staying at a Disney property. Disney is really "clamping down" on their marketing approach. They must think that people will stay on-site just to be able to easily make the dining reservations that they want... I know in future trips I will definitely take that into consideration. I have a friend that is going in January with lots of extended family. They are staying at a nice Marriott time share to accomodate all of the family. She wants me to help her get her dining set up.... Whoa! She just may not have a chance at any popular dining locations. If Disney finds a "hook" to get more people to stay at their resorts, we may not see discount codes.... Hmmmmm... kind of like what we are facing right now (although I really doubt this will have that much impact in the short term). Lots of changes.

Hang in there everybody!!!

Tithonia

Originally posted by zulaya
Just to clarify...DVC members don't make reservations thru CRO or WDTC. We have our own reservations center with Member Services.

But we do have confirmation numbers and our reservations are at WDW resorts albeit "Home away from Home" resorts.

Thanks zulaya and bcv - I wasn't really sure how that worked since i'm hot a DVC member. Hopefully Scott's news is true and as long as you have that reservation/confirmation from onsite with deposit (or not for DVC) everyone staying onsite should be happy.

I'm not trying to be insensitive but I can't really feel sorry for off site guests losing out on the PS's. That is just another perk for on site guests. Disney really wants to keep people inside the magic spending all their time and money in the parks/resorts and this is just another incentive like EMH. While the All Star resorts aren't as cheap as some offsite hotels, the prices are still great for onsite and allow more families onsite access. I remember when there were no value resorts and you had to pay either deluxe or moderate rates.
I'm also not sure that offsite guests won't be able to get PS's except for the really popular stuff like CRT, however many onsite guests won't get it either. So many people have stories about getting a PS a few weeks in advance or even days in advance. I know those all can't be cancellations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!