New Dining Rules

cindy_k

Living Warm and Happy in Florida
New Dining Rules
New dining rules start on August 4th. If you have a package booked with the Walt Disney Travel Company with a PAID deposit, then you can make a PS for MOST locations 180 days in advance. If not, then you can make your PS 90 days out. This is a HUGE change. It now means that AP reservations, FL resident reservations, Cast reservations, AAA reservations or room only booking in Central Reservations can only make PS after WDTC guests have made theirs. To be clear, there will no longer be a 120/60 days out policy. It's now a 180/90 days out policy depending on what kind of reservation you have booked. Disney will now have a two tiered dining schedule it would seem. Where you fall in the tiers depends on how much money you spend (ie. book a package).

I got this off another board that I read and Deb has put it up on her site.
http://www.wdwig.com/restnews.htm

Good Luck!
Cindy in NY

OKay, so how does that affect DVC members who stay at DVC resorts on points and don't have a "deposit"?

Good-by CRT ressies. There's no way for us AP holders then. Are those deposits refundable?

What about those of us that book through CRO and pay in full when we book? I think that Disney just made a big mistake on many levels. But, time will tell. I would rant on this, but I have to go to work. Mickey

I don't usually post to complain about new policies, but this one I think, has gone too far. I am an AP holder and a DVC member. As another poster said, there goes any chance at CRT breakfast. No one will probably be able to get those reservations now except for people who book packages. I am guessing that the rest of us will have a hard time getting the times we want for our dinners now as well. This winter we are going with another family, and I wanted to book early eating times, to increase our chances of getting tables together. I have heard it's harder to do at later seatings because everything is full. I am betting this will be much harder for us to do as well.

This takes effect August 4th, and of course my first day to book my 120 day ps's was August 8th.

Erika

This is a way of encouraging people to buy Disney's packages. Packages, which usually include the Ultimate Park Hoppers, are more profitable for Disney than a room-only reservation.

Why are packages more profitable? Consider:

Packages assure Disney that you can't buy your park hoppers from anyone else (i.e. Connections or Ebay).
You can't save your unused days for a later trip, thus you'll have to spend again on tickets.
If you have Ultimate Park Hoppers for Disney, you're not likely to run over to Sea World or Universal and pay again.
Some packages include food, which assures them that you're not eating at McDonalds.

I think most people on this board have agreed that IN GENERAL, packages have been more expensive than piece by piece bookings. Disney would rather see us all book packages, and they're encouraging us to do so with this new policy.

What if you make a WDTC reservation and then cancel it to go to a code or AP rate? I assume all the PS's made will be automatically canceled.

I cannot believe this new policy. I chose this year to be the year that we purchased annual passes for my family and it seems that my timing could not have been worse. The FairyTale package certainly blows away any AP discounts and the new priority seating system does not do anything to make me feel better about my annual passes. I will definitely attempt to book when my window of opportunity opens, but if it is difficult to get reservations at decent times then I will have no problem with eating at the many great restaurants in the Universal Studios resort area. I really think that this was a bad decision on the part of Disney.

Why can't they just make this a perk for all on site guest?

If you stay at a disney resort, you can make your PS 180 days out, off site guest 90 days out.

If they HAVE to change the way PSs are booked, why not take hard to book places out of the mix?

Allow whoever the targeted group is the abiltity to book all PS 180 days out except Cindy's, V&A...,leave these as they are so that everyone has the same chance of getting a PS.

I wonder how this will effect booking the Illuminations Cruise, tours, kids clubs, Pirate Cruisie, Adventures in Cooking......?

I'm on hold with CRO right now. The CM has no idea what I'm talking about. The supervisior said they just found out about the change yesterday. They're calling dining to see if someone can give me some answers.

This will not make any difference for most places. The only issues will be for those very hard to get PSs such as CRT, illuminations cruises, California Grill at fireworks time, Rose and Crown around illuminations time, etc. Besides most people do not know where they want to eat at 180 days out (not everyone is as fanatic as we are on the dis). So no, this would not be a real reason for me to book a package (unless it's priced like the FTP was this year) I'll keep my AP (and don't tell me Disney makes more money off one package deal for someone who comes once every 5 years or me, an AP holder who's there at least 4 times per year)

This is a real slap in the face to DVC members. By buying DVC we've in effect guaranteed WDW that we will becoming and spending money with them for decades to come.

They've cut off their noes to spite there face on this one. They've now created a disincentive to buy into DVC. With the BCV being almost sold out, and by all accounts most feel that SS will be a harder sell, they just made it even harder.

Anne

Does anyone have any idea what this will do to those of us who have PS' for after Aug 4th?

Originally posted by crs7568
I cannot believe this new policy. I chose this year to be the year that we purchased annual passes for my family and it seems that my timing could not have been worse. The FairyTale package certainly blows away any AP discounts and the new priority seating system does not do anything to make me feel better about my annual passes. I will definitely attempt to book when my window of opportunity opens, but if it is difficult to get reservations at decent times then I will have no problem with eating at the many great restaurants in the Universal Studios resort area. I really think that this was a bad decision on the part of Disney.

Ditto! I thought these APs were going to be such a great thing and I feel like I made a mistake. :rolleyes: Im thinking if I cant get decent times(which I already have problems with for August...no later than 4:30 at Mama Melrose when calling exactly at 60 days), we wil just skip the sit down meals and pick up burgers. At least Ill be saving money since we usually have a few drinks each with sit down meals, and appetizers, salads, etc..

Well, remember everyone...when EE was cancelled people thought our email efforts were useless and look what happened. I think its time to start another campaign. ;)

ok....so I am clear on this....the new date for this is MONDAY, August 4. correct? The policy remains as it has been until then, right? My 60 day call date for my daughter's birthday is this Saturday, so it looks like I'm ok to try for Cinderella or Pooh for breakfast on 10/1. August 6 is the date for calling to get reservations at the Crystal Palace for the 10/5 MNSSHP, hopefully it won't be a problem!

Along with the AP and DVC people, the guests eligible for SoG won't be able to book anything early, either. If you stay at SoG, then you aren't on a WDTC package and the overflow reservations go through CRO :(

Do you think this will take effect for booking of the Illumintions cruises too??? I hope not.

Erika

Originally posted by DebbieB
What if you make a WDTC reservation and then cancel it to go to a code or AP rate? I assume all the PS's made will be automatically canceled.

I was wondering the same thing.

Well, the person I spoke with in dining wanted to how I found out about the changes. She said she didn't think they were going to include Cindy's in the new policy. She would forward the guestion about AP holders, and DVC members to another department.

She really wasn't able to give any positive yes or no answers. Maybe people should call to let them them know how they feel about the new policy.

I may not book any of disney packages, but they still get all of my money while we're there. Once we arrive on site, we only do disney parks. We do not go off site to have dinner. Heck, we don't even bring our own water and soda.

Our next trip is a short one to celebrate DS's birthday and do MNSSHP. There's no way we'll be able to take full advantage of an UHPP.

:(

I am also not one to usually complain but I have to agree with the others that this does NOT sound like a good idea. AP holders, DVC members, etc. really do bring in a lot of business and IMHO are perhaps more likely to eat at Disney than your average WDW vacationeer. I know on our first trip we didn't want to "waste" time doing too many sit down meals, etc. but on subsequent trips we are more relaxed since we have done so much previously and we love going to new restaurants - I would imagine that many AP and DVC members are the same. If I was having trouble getting into those places I really wanted to try I would be a little ticked off.

This change could really effect me personally on our next trip because we will have DS who likes to eat on a pretty regular schedule. Being 30 minutes late on a meal can make him one grumpy camper. I was really hoping to get my PS's for around 11 for lunch and 5 for dinner....I hope I don't have trouble getting those times now. I guess if I can't get them then will will do more counter service (less money for WDW), buy groceries for the room and do sandwiches for lunch (no money for WDW), etc. and/or just eat some off-site (no money for WDW).

Alright...those of you with more experience....tell the rest of us what to do. Who do we call, e-mail, gripe and complain to? I have been prepared to not have breakfast at CRT or get the Illuminations cruise if I don't get through in time, but I'd at least like the *chance* to try!

Disney has been disappointing me alot lately- and this is the MOST disappointing change yet! We go to WDW about 4 times a year, eat EVERY meal in their restaurants, stay concierge......Apparently I do not spend enough money there, however - so I should be shut out of getting good dining reservations? That's FINE - if they want to entice people who buy packages - and probably go to WDW once every few years or so- They are alienating people like me! I think they are going lose alot of money in the long run! Time to send yet another letter to Disney expressing my disappointment! Jill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter