New DDP- Servers not happy!

I was kinda thinking the same thing, I mean what did servers do before the DDP? :confused:
;) Not everybody under the sun has used the DDP before(i know it seems like it if you are a disser:goodvibes ) So yes there will be customers that dont know about the change or whatever but I am sure it will be clear on all dining info that tip is not included. So wouldnt you think if the servers did ok prior to the DDP they will do ok again?:confused3
And for party's over 6 it will be added to the bill, you pay it of course but still added none the less, so those will be (most of the time) your highest bill total's, one would think.;)

mhouse is right--if you hustle, are friendly, work a lot of hours, work in a busy restaurant, and have enough tables to wait on--you can make good money.

I'm all for pushing my stock value up...but customer satisfaction should be considered too!
However, customer satisfaction isn't for its own sake. After all, if that were the case, wouldn't companies charge nothing and give customers everything they could want? Rather, corporate managers are legally obligated to manage corporations deciding how to achieve customer satisfaction while achieving maximal long-term shareholder value. If the 2008 Dining Plan, as offered and priced, wouldn't be satisfactory to customers, then they would either change or (more likely) drop the offering.

I think disney needs to be the one telling people
Disney has, in the past, provided courtesy cards regarding gratuities. Hopefully, they'll continue to do so, and starting in January again start providing them to Dining Plan patrons.

The union and Disney came to an agreement.
That's what I've been saying.

My point is the decision to increase the cost of the dining plan, the value of the cutbacks far exceed the $1 price reduction, was solely made by Disney.
Indeed, and as you've noted, I've been saying all along that this was likely because the Dining Plan has been underpriced.

The evidence is Disney, not the servers, was the party that wanted to drop the included tip.
That's not evidence. It is you typing words -- words you want to believe. No matter how many ways you try to say it, it still is nothing more than that. You ARE making your point clearly -- just not convincingly, and that's not your fault: You simply don't have the evidence to prove what you want to be the truth.

I have to say something here.

Up until last year I was a waiter I would have four tables in my zone and those tables would clear out every hour or so. The average bill would be between $50.00 to $100.00 per table per hour at 15% tip I was making about $45.00 per hour in tips. Now I did have to share about 30% of my tips with other wait staff but I still took home at least $30.00 per hour for my efforts.

Now that I have finished college and have found a job I only make $20.00 an hour.

I know that waitering is hard work but you do make GREAT money. I DO NOT feel sorry for the wait staff. I promise you if they work hard and give good service they will make more money that the majority of the people on this forum!!!

Even tipping 10% which I will do for bad service they will make out just fine.

There is a reason that there are many applicants for each of these positions at WDW-it isn't because you can't make a good living as a server. I will always remember the server at 'Ohana-he still works there-chatting with us early one not crowded evening. He asked what I did, told him I was a teacher and he said he was a certified teacher too--he found out that he made more part time while a student working at 'Ohana and after a few years of doing that and teaching he took a full time position and quit teaching-said it would take 30 years of teaching to pull in what he made a year waiting tables at 'Ohana. This was pre DDP, and he wasn't complaining then!He's still there and happy so I dont' think he is unhappy with his choice.

At least 3 servers told us union reps told them Disney wanted to remove the included tip. One of them started a thread hoping complaints would cause Disney to reverse its decision. One poster said this information was in written information that was posted. At least one regular poster, with connections, said Disney wanted to drop the included tip in response guests complaints due to service issues. It also doesn't make much sense to think the union would ask to drop the included tip and then ask for other offsets to compensate. It does make logical sense that Disney asked to remove the included tip then negotiated "automatic tips" for parties of 6 and DDE guests.

That's enough to convince me. I don't see any evidence to support the claim that "greedy servers" demanded the removal of the included tip.

Who's idea it was is really irrelevent. Disney could have reduced the cost of the plan by the cost of the tip. I am 100% sure that Disney not the union is responsible for the price increase of the plan. Customers that don't like the 2008 DDP shouldn't purchase it.

That's not evidence. It is you typing words -- words you want to believe. No matter how many ways you try to say it, it still is nothing more than that. You ARE making your point clearly -- just not convincingly, and that's not your fault: You simply don't have the evidence to prove what you want to be the truth.

When you leave serving its usually not because you can't make good money, its to get out of serving tables. You put up with a lot for the money you can make and its not a set amount on payday. So one week you may bring home 500.00 in tips for 40 hours or on a slow week bring home 350.00 in tips for 40 hours..Like I said I don't do bad usually, but I have been doing it for 9 years, next year will be 10 but I am hoping next summer to end my serving days..:angel:

I have to say something here.

Up until last year I was a waiter I would have four tables in my zone and those tables would clear out every hour or so. The average bill would be between $50.00 to $100.00 per table per hour at 15% tip I was making about $45.00 per hour in tips. Now I did have to share about 30% of my tips with other wait staff but I still took home at least $30.00 per hour for my efforts.

Now that I have finished college and have found a job I only make $20.00 an hour.

I know that waitering is hard work but you do make GREAT money. I DO NOT feel sorry for the wait staff. I promise you if they work hard and give good service they will make more money that the majority of the people on this forum!!!

Even tipping 10% which I will do for bad service they will make out just fine.

Sorry but I don't agree with you. Unless you work at a fine dining restaurant your not going to bring in that kind of money. It all depends where you work and how many hours you work. Can't compare Ohana with IHOP or DENNYS, the check average it nothing compared to them..But even so if they made that much and gave good service, they deserve every penny they earned in my book.

I wish that Disney would put a note on the bottom of the receipt that reads "DDP users please be reminded that tip is no longer included" also have the tip calculated at different levels like many places do.

At least 3 servers told us union reps told them Disney wanted to remove the included tip. One of them started a thread hoping complaints would cause Disney to reverse its decision. One poster said this information was in written information that was posted. At least one regular poster, with connections, said Disney wanted to drop the included tip in response guests complaints due to service issues. It also doesn't make much sense to think the union would ask to drop the included tip and then ask for other offsets to compensate. It does make logical sense that Disney asked to remove the included tip then negotiated "automatic tips" for parties of 6 and DDE guests.

That's enough to convince me. I don't see any evidence to support the claim that "greedy servers" demanded the removal of the included tip.

Who's idea it was is really irrelevent. Disney could have reduced the cost of the plan by the cost of the tip. I am 100% sure that Disney not the union is responsible for the price increase of the plan. Customers that don't like the 2008 DDP shouldn't purchase it.

At this point in the game does it really matter? It is said and done, who said what, when, how and about whom doesn't even factor in. It is kinda like trying to get the egg back in the chicken, at this point it is out and we just have to deal with it.

It really doesn't even matter to me who did what or who wanted what, or who got what for that matter. The fact is it is costing ME. Now, that being said it is up to me to buy the DDP or not. I have to tip (or NOT depending on service) if I am on the plan or not, if I want an appy I will pay OOP if I am on the plan or not.

Disney is like any other industry costs rise then so do prices. Do I like it, well NO. But, I do like it when my salary goes up and where does that increase come from.............increase to the consumer.

I am not a union worker because we don't have a union here in the South for my profession but, I don't know that it is the best thing out there for the workers. I have seen too many people lose too much during strikes.

So that all being said, I still LOVE Disney and always will and I will continue to return as long as I can afford to do so, once that time ends then I will(like most do) move on to some other venture.

OK, just my .02. Please don't flame me too hard I had a hard day in the neonatal intensive care nursery today. :(

At least 3 servers told us union reps told them Disney wanted to remove the included tip.
So again you're relying on second-hand or third-hand reports. Lewis: Why are you belaboring this? You simply don't have the evidence to prove what you want to be the truth. By repeating practically the same exact statements, you're trying to parlay your own state of "convinced-ness" into a bludgeon to try to convince others -- that's not like you (and pretty-much ineffective).

All we know is that the union and Disney came to an agreement. After-the-fact, both sides will, naturally, present themselves as the gallant party. Believe none of it. Both sides in a negotiation are equally responsible for the results.

At this point in the game does it really matter?
That's a really good point. What is the constructive purpose intended by this speculation about who is to "blame"?

Now, that being said it is up to me to buy the DDP or not.
Precisely! :thumbsup2

Disney is like any other industry costs rise then so do prices. Do I like it, well NO. But, I do like it when my salary goes up and where does that increase come from.............increase to the consumer.
Right on-target! It actually amazes me, sometimes, how many folks fail to make this very logical connection.

mmc12.jpg
DisneyDad.gif

Well you can believe what you want, but its Disney who decided to yank the grat.

I read this topic with great interest.

I understand the concern of the servers very well but also must point out that its a great shame that in such a rich nation like America people must relay on a tip to become a normal income.

In Europe were just not used to this kind of enforcement. A server gets at the most 8 till 10 dollar and that’s a big tip as a matter of fact its quit common you don’t tip at all.

This problem should be put on the plates of the Unions and not on the shoulders of the servers

I can see servers providing good service but rushing people through their meals so that they can handle a larger volume of guests, thereby increasing the number of tips they receive in a given night...

I actually wish they would get rid of the dining plan... lately I have heard nothing but complaints and it seems like more headache than it is worth to me. I think the DDP has created chaos at TS restaurants, poor service, food quality to go down, and menu changes.

I do feel bad for the servers that may not get tipped fairly because people may not realize the change but I think MORE people complained about the included tip because if service was poor they had no control over the tip. Servers should be tipped appropriately and bad service should = bad tip.

I do feel sorry for them
I am sure it will be a financial lost for most
we tipped extra at every place we went except for momma melrose
and it was whe worst meal and service in out 10 day trip

Bicker, boy did you pick the right name!
Valid points on both sides, but it was a cororate decision to drop the tip and the union got a few tip concessions to balance it.
I've been a cook for 25+ years, the first 22+ with Crackerbarrel. I was paid decently and even got a few tips. Servers were paid lousy and the company kept making it harder for them to make money, so the good ones would leave, they'd hire more that stunk, and service spiralled downward. A hundred bucks was a great day for any server, and usually meant working 10 hours.
justanotherguy, how is that server at WDW going to pick out a hillbilly family? Do you believe we wear overalls with our snotrag in the front pocket on vacation?(God. I hope the tag fairy doesn't see that) Do you really think Olive Garden is our idea of fine dining? Do you think me and my friend KyCruiseCrazy are too ignorant to comment on this? And do you think someone who makes $30000 a year has to save years for a WDW vacation? I go every year on well less. I'll be there with 3 other hillbillies, try to pick us out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter