New adventures?

I thought the same thing. Why so many adult departures?

At what point will they announce new dates in late 2021 or 2022 for existing itineraries?

Maybe ABD is anticipating a lot of families with kids not wanting to travel so far? Who knows...

I’m wondering if it because of school schedules - the December departures would be winter break and the March is around spring break. Other NZ departures seem to be during school times for most kids.

My guess is due to the opposite seasons, i.e. NZ summer is our winter so they are taking advantage of the good weather and realize kids will be in school?

Yes, I think it has to do with the seasons being opposite and spring/fall being the optimal times to visit. This just happens to be when most U.S. schools are in session which is what leads to so many adult only departures I think. I momentarily got excited about a potential couples trip in Feb/March 2022 before I remembered DS doesn't start college until Fall 2022. Doh! But I could be tempted by an adults only version of the NZ trip sometime in the future.

Not sure if this matters to you but I read if you have or had a July trip, you could already rebook right now for the new 2021 itineraries. I asked because I had a Barcelona short escape booked which I parked the deposit for. I’m guessing they are eventually going to cancel the July trips because of this offer.

I was told yesterday that I would have to wait until May 12 when they were opening bookings up for past ABD guests because my trip hadn't been officially canceled by ABD yet. It did sound like if my trip was canceled prior to May 12, I could call then. I didn't really press the issue, though, because I have no clue what dates will work for us in 2021 and which trip we want to choose now!

Also, this info is on the reservation for 2021 trips:
  • Refundable Deposit: This reservation is eligible to be cancelled at any date prior to the established Final Payment date and will receive a full refund if cancelled before that time.
Is this for anyone booking a 2021 trip or only those who had a trip canceled due to Coronavirus?

Is this for anyone booking a 2021 trip or only those who had a trip canceled due to Coronavirus?

Kind of. This is if you book a new reservation for 2021 trips now...Your ABD being cancelled bc of COVID only matters in that you can call now and book a new 2021 trip for either the new places or an existing ABD with a new date. You don't have to wait until May.

My ABD last month was cancelled bc of COVID, but since I'm moving a deposit for another ABD this December that I had already had to December 2021 (Egypt), I don't get the new policy because that's technically an "old" reservation.

Its wonky and confusing. But I'm glad ABD is changing *something* in their policy.

And yes, after saying in a previous post somewhere here that I would never book another ABD 18 months in advance, I just booked one for 20 months out! But of course that was just shifting around a deposit. I definitely don't feel comfortable going on a cruise in Europe this winter, esp if no vaccine available.

This is for anyone making a new booking prior to June 30, 2020, so it could be a new guest or someone whose trip was affected by the virus. As long as you make the reservation by June 30, you qualify for the refundable deposit until PIF. If you want to make a booking for a trip currently on their site, you can do it now. If you want to book one of the new itineraries or an existing itinerary for a future date that is not currently advertised, you can do that based on this timeline:

Guests with ABD itineraries that were canceled due to the virus can start booking on April 20
Previous ABD guest can start booking on May 12
General bookings begin May 19

I hope that makes sense. I'm really hoping they update the website with all new itineraries and dates prior to May 12 so, maybe, I can make some decisions!

Kind of. This is if you book a new reservation for 2021 trips now...Your ABD being cancelled bc of COVID only matters in that you can call now and book a new 2021 trip for either the new places or an existing ABD with a new date. You don't have to wait until May.

My ABD last month was cancelled bc of COVID, but since I'm moving a deposit for another ABD this December that I had already had to December 2021 (Egypt), I don't get the new policy because that's technically an "old" reservation.

Its wonky and confusing. But I'm glad ABD is changing *something* in their policy.

And yes, after saying in a previous post somewhere here that I would never book another ABD 18 months in advance, I just booked one for 20 months out! But of course that was just shifting around a deposit. I definitely don't feel comfortable going on a cruise in Europe this winter, esp if no vaccine available.
If you really want the new policy in your new Egypt trip, can you put the deposit of your old trip on a placeholder and book Egypt with new money?

Did ABD offer you a refund since trip was cancelled eventhough the trip being cancelled was booked with a placeholder deposit?

Did ABD offer you a refund since trip was cancelled eventhough the trip being cancelled was booked with a placeholder deposit?

Nope it’s a different thing. I had two ABDs booked for 2020. One last month, which was refunded and one in Dec that I’ve moved to 2021

Nope it’s a different thing. I had two ABDs booked for 2020. One last month, which was refunded and one in Dec that I’ve moved to 2021

So just so I am clear your placeholder trip was NOT refunded they just gave you ANOTHER year to use the trip? Was there a deadline to book this trip or how long was your credit could for? Did they honor any opening price or do they still hold fast to the no promo on the placeholder? What scares me is I think ABD needs money from person x to pay person y back. Like a cash flow problem.

So just so I am clear your placeholder trip was NOT refunded they just gave you ANOTHER year to use the trip? Was there a deadline to book this trip or how long was your credit could for? Did they honor any opening price or do they still hold fast to the no promo on the placeholder? What scares me is I think ABD needs money from person x to pay person y back. Like a cash flow problem.

I'm not sure what your current situation is in terms of a trip booked/deposit placed, etc., but I can tell you what my experience was when I called ABD on my PIF date yesterday.

When I called on Monday to see what my options were, I was told I could either transfer my deposit and book a new trip now with any discounts currently available or I could "park" my deposit for one year from my original booking date, but I would not qualify for any discounts. When I called yesterday, they had changed the policy for my travel date (July 19) and offered to put my trip on "Displacement" status which meant I now had to re-book by December 31, 2020, but I COULD take advantage of any discounts offered at that time. The vacationista said my date qualified for "displacement" even though my trip hasn't officially been cancelled yet. I am not sure which dates qualify at this point (all of July? July and August?) If you have a trip coming up in the next few months and aren't comfortable paying PIF when your balance is due, I would highly recommend asking if your trip can qualify for the "displacement" terms and conditions.

I'm not sure what your current situation is in terms of a trip booked/deposit placed, etc., but I can tell you what my experience was when I called ABD on my PIF date yesterday.

When I called on Monday to see what my options were, I was told I could either transfer my deposit and book a new trip now with any discounts currently available or I could "park" my deposit for one year from my original booking date, but I would not qualify for any discounts. When I called yesterday, they had changed the policy for my travel date (July 19) and offered to put my trip on "Displacement" status which meant I now had to re-book by December 31, 2020, but I COULD take advantage of any discounts offered at that time. The vacationista said my date qualified for "displacement" even though my trip hasn't officially been cancelled yet. I am not sure which dates qualify at this point (all of July? July and August?) If you have a trip coming up in the next few months and aren't comfortable paying PIF when your balance is due, I would highly recommend asking if your trip can qualify for the "displacement" terms and conditions.

THank you. My trip is booked in early August. If they offer this policy thru August, if I understand you correctly, I can say I am not comfortable traveling to Boston in AUgust 2020. Can I put this deposit towards say Arizona for May 2021and use any booking incentives current for May 2021 Arizona? Just making up dates etc. But is this what you plan to do since your trip is July and IS covered up this displacement option?

What you're describing is a Ponzi scheme!!!

We're all tough on ABD but I don't think they're that bad :)

So basically, back in 2019 I booked England/France for March 2020 and Christmas Danube for December 2020. England/France was cancelled and they refunded. Christmas Danube I decided to move the deposit to something in 2021...which I was able to do as a courtesy because they cancelled England/France. The Christmas Danube trip, however, since it was booked in 2019 doesn't qualify for the new deposit -refund policy, so the deposit on that trip can't be moved anymore or refunded.

I did get the early booking discount on Egypt in December 2021, which they're honoring for anyone whose ABD was cancelled as long as you call by May 15?

Who else loved the epic Pete rant about ABD on the DIS unplugged yesterday!

What you're describing is a Ponzi scheme!!!

We're all tough on ABD but I don't think they're that bad :)

So basically, back in 2019 I booked England/France for March 2020 and Christmas Danube for December 2020. England/France was cancelled and they refunded. Christmas Danube I decided to move the deposit to something in 2021...which I was able to do as a courtesy because they cancelled England/France. The Christmas Danube trip, however, since it was booked in 2019 doesn't qualify for the new deposit -refund policy, so the deposit on that trip can't be moved anymore or refunded.

I did get the early booking discount on Egypt in December 2021, which they're honoring for anyone whose ABD was cancelled as long as you call by May 15?

Who else loved the epic Pete rant about ABD on the DIS unplugged yesterday!

Ponzi Scheme! Lol yes I guess that is what I described! I missed the Pete rant..how do I find? I could guest star on the next episode! Ok so if my PIF is due 5/8 and I pay and they cancel me later, I receive my BALANCE I JUST PAID back but they once again take the deposit and float it another year etc. I am just confused when you state your Christmas trip can't be moved but that is only b/c they haven't cancelled that correct? Should they cancel your XMAS trip you would get a refund and then the floating deposit.... Correct?

Ponzi Scheme! Lol yes I guess that is what I described! I missed the Pete rant..how do I find? I could guest star on the next episode! Ok so if my PIF is due 5/8 and I pay and they cancel me later, I receive my BALANCE I JUST PAID back but they once again take the deposit and float it another year etc. I am just confused when you state your Christmas trip can't be moved but that is only b/c they haven't cancelled that correct? Should they cancel your XMAS trip you would get a refund and then the floating deposit.... Correct?
If ABD cancels, you get a full refund including the deposit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!