NEW 15th DVC hotel~ Riviera Resort/ Gondola~ Will there be air conditioning debate

There will be balconies. There will be units, presumably, that sleep more than 5.

The themes are not branches of each other (like the Wilderness Lodge themes, which flow together like a bubbling brook, ha). The renderings do not suggest in any way Mexican Riviera, which would be a stretch to attach to Caribbean but could happen. This looks Euro.

This is not a moderate resort. The transportation is not the only thing that defines moderate. Pop is going to be on the gondola after all, and a Pop guest could just gondola over to Riviera. Which is almost exactly like people taking the bus to MK in the morning and going to Chef Mickey or to 'Ohana.

I went yesteray on the gondola track in London and they were air conditioned. If they though it was necessary in London, I cannot see Disney not using air conditioned gondolas in Florida.

Florida. Summer. There will be AC.

Actually, multiple insiders at WDWMagic have said there definitely will not be AC in the gondolas. It was evaluated and deemed unnecessary; they move at a decent clip and will only have forced air ventilation for cooling.

These same insiders leaked nearly every D23 announcement over the past 12-18 months (Ratatouille, Mickey Ride, Tron, Guardians, DVC @ CBR, etc) so they are definitely at least somewhat in the know.

Actually, multiple insiders at WDWMagic have said there definitely will not be AC in the gondolas. It was evaluated and deemed unnecessary; they move at a decent clip and will only have forced air ventilation for cooling.

These same insiders leaked nearly every D23 announcement over the past 12-18 months (Ratatouille, Mickey Ride, Tron, Guardians, DVC @ CBR, etc) so they are definitely at least somewhat in the know.
FLYING BUGS.

DO THESE PLANNERS NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BUGS.

FLYING BUGS.

DO THESE PLANNERS NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BUGS.

And do they not remember when the Friendship Boats relied on open windows for ventilation? They're all air conditioned now.... I will concede that it's possible to have air forced via machinery rather than via vehicular motion, and to have vents that are small enough or blocked to keep out bugs, but I just can't see that providing enough ventilation in the Orlando heat and humidity. Obviously we all have to wait and see.

The Skyliner gondolas will have AC. Disney is not ignorant of the Florida heat and humidity. If they don't I wouldn't buy at the Riviera or stay at the other resorts that use the Skyliner. Others will fill the same way.

Per marni1971 (the most active leaker these days):

"The cabins will be enclosed behind solar coated plastic windows with air vents in the upper areas. There will also be floor vents."

"The [no] AC decision is the result of many meetings and a lot of environmental testing...for passenger comfort"

Of course we won't know for sure til it opens.

The Skyliner gondolas will have AC. Disney is not ignorant of the Florida heat and humidity. If they don't I wouldn't buy at the Riviera or stay at the other resorts that use the Skyliner. Others will fill the same way.

I don't see how they would pick up the power required to run AC. The cars are attached to a non powered cable. Interior lighting could be LED run by solar panels and a battery in each car but adding AC would be very expensive.

:earsboy: Bill

Somehow this does not seem like a very attractive resort at this stage. Non-air conditioned sky cars on a rope.. A hotel built right next to a value based hotel.... no walk way to parks... 300 units is not big enough if it does not rely on CBR amenities (food and shopping).

I know DVC has always build great resorts and I personally was not sure SSR would ever fly. But comparing the Riviera to Boardwalk or BCV it seems like it would be hard to get people pay that much more. The boardwalk resorts have the boardwalk, and walking, boats or Buses to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. At the Riviera you can walk to a value resort???

In my opinion, there is a larger plan. I bet the rest of CRB comes down and other DVC projects come in. I bet they have more to offer.

Somehow this does not seem like a very attractive resort at this stage. Non-air conditioned sky cars on a rope.. A hotel built right next to a value based hotel.... no walk way to parks... 300 units is not big enough if it does not rely on CBR amenities (food and shopping).

I know DVC has always build great resorts and I personally was not sure SSR would ever fly. But comparing the Riviera to Boardwalk or BCV it seems like it would be hard to get people pay that much more. The boardwalk resorts have the boardwalk, and walking, boats or Buses to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. At the Riviera you can walk to a value resort???

In my opinion, there is a larger plan. I bet the rest of CRB comes down and other DVC projects come in. I bet they have more to offer.

DVD wants to sell to newbies who don't know what they are buying and they can pretty much sell any resort they build at any price.

The concept art looks like it could easily compete with VGF, especially if they play up the idea many have of the exotic Riviera, ooh, la, la!

Landscaping will keep it away from CBR and make it feel like an independent resort. I just hope it doesn't feel "sterile" like BLT feels to me.

This resort is being billed as Epcot-area. There is the gondola. It's being targeted at the people who like the idea of BWV/BCV but are hesitant about 2042 RTU and/or drank the "resale is bad!" Kool-Aid.

In general, I have mild confidence that DVC will ensure this is a deluxe resort and perceived that way.

DVD wants to sell to newbies who don't know what they are buying and they can pretty much sell any resort they build at any price.

I'm not saying you're wrong but at the price per point of this resort when it starts selling in 2 years ($190 - $200), the newbies should do their homework.

I am excited about the new resort. What I would personally love to see there is rooms that cost a low amount of points per night. Since it's connected to a moderate, just make is less points per night, problem solved.

Also they will hopefully have 1 bedrooms that sleep 5 and 2 bedrooms that sleep 9.

I don't see how they would pick up the power required to run AC. The cars are attached to a non powered cable. Interior lighting could be LED run by solar panels and a battery in each car but adding AC would be very expensive.

I second this statement as I spend plenty of time in gondolas (skier). Additionally...

A great comparison to the Disney Skyliner is Ngong Ping 360 in Hong Kong. HK's climate is arguably more humid and hotter. Ngong Ping does NOT have AC in the gondolas, and the distance traveled is considerably longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter