Netflix..anyone cancelling?

Way back when, did Netflix limit the number? Sometime you hear, you gave the password to DD at school, who shared with boyfriend, who shared with his friends. so 20 people later.........

It only limited simultaneous watching. Tehoretically any number of people could use it, just tnot all at the same time. That's really all they need to do. Say, you get two simultaneous streams, then pay extra for each additional.

A friend got in a bizarre situation with MLB TV. He wanted to watch Oakland A's games and all the home games were blacked out because "he lives too close to Oakland". Ah......he lives in Eugene, Oregon, 500+ miles and an 8 hour drive away. Yet, Seattle Mariners games are not blacked out. Seattle is half as far away as Oakland. Go figure.

I still cheer for my childhood hometown teams, so it's a nonissue for me for MLB...and for MLS, I just enjoy watching some soccer stars if I'm bored, so I cheer for the more exciting playing team:).

How are you able to get the deals the second time around? Most deals are for new subscribers, not people returning. While one can sign up again using a different email and name, some companies know when the same credit card is being used again.

Hulu sent me their deal, and combined it with D+ last Black Friday for $4.99/month for 12 months ad free. Needless to say, I picked it right up.

HBO Max also sent me a "please come back deal" last year after I'd been off 12 months - that wasn't as good, but it was about 40-50% off the annual rate so I took it.

I know Peacock has already sent me a "please come back for $19.99" total for premium for the year - I've passed for now, b/c I still have to finish out my other channels, but don't want it yet.

So, some channels, it's just wait long enough and they'll get desperate and welcome you back...you do have to wait, though...it's not cancel one day, get deal the next. Thus, the cycle through some every year...

With the writer's strike, this will be the way in the fall...no one will have much new material, so it will be time to enjoy other streamers.

It is being anticipated that SAG actors will probably be striking too at the end of June. With both the writers and actors striking, causing a (near?) complete shutdown of the industry, and each strike hopefully helping the other to get better negotiations, we will need a LOT of reruns to get us through the fall.

I was just about to finally binge through season 3 of The Orville and then all of Picard. Maybe I should put those off till I'm really desperate to watch something. :scratchin

Between reading the Netflix FAQ and this thread, I'm more confused than ever about this "crackdown."

I pay for Netflix and live about a 7-10 minute drive from my parents and brother (they live together). My college roommate still uses my account as well. It's something like 4 profiles (me, roommate, brother, parents) + a kid-friendly profile for when I babysit my niece and nephew. How can Netflix truly know who is and isn't in my household? I watch Netflix both at my house and at my parents when I visit. More than once a month. My college roommate never watches at my or my parents house. Maybe she'll eventually get kicked off? Or she has to come to my house once a month to login? What is she supposed to bring her Apple TV and plug it into my tv? It just makes no sense to me.

I don't think this + the strike bodes well for Netflix.

Also you (the royal you) can try to explain it to me but I promise it's going to go over my head and if I get to this bridge, I'll cross it.

Meanwhile, in Netflix customer service:

"Anyone read this thread on the DIS? Looks like more customers want to cancel Netflix. Guys, we need to speak with management, ASAP."
images

"Are you kidding me?? More cancellations? First the writer's strike, and now this?
GROUP HUDDLE!"
Human-Sized_Viras%2C_Kaijusaurus.jpg

"Ok Ok. Promise them a free month if they come back, I don't care. Then lie and tell them that Eddie's coming back to Stranger Things, and that we made a deal for Better Call Saul season 7..."

VirasGamera2014December02%2C_Kaijusaurus.jpg

I canceled ages ago because the price got too high and there wasn't much I wanted to watch. I sign up for a month maybe once a year or so to catch up on the few shows I'm interested in (Umbrella Academy, Witcher, and I'll watch Bridgerton while I have it but wouldn't sign up just for that) then cancel it.
I'm doing this a lot but some subscriptions don't seem willing to release when you cancel, Peacock, so I needed to it actually cancel the card and get a new number to cut it off. :idea: Seems I need to do all my normal record keeping AND designate one credit card as a throw away for all subscriptions meaning it should only be used for this subscription purpose so it isn't disruptive as I cancel it, doable but annoying.

How can Netflix truly know who is and isn't in my household?
From what I've read, they use IP addresses. The last I saw, any device that wasn't using the "home" IP address at least once a month would be considered to be somewhere else.

This will probably generate quite a bit of interest in folks setting up their own in-home VPNs.

I'm doing this a lot but some subscriptions don't seem willing to release when you cancel, Peacock, so I needed to it actually cancel the card and get a new number to cut it off. :idea: Seems I need to do all my normal record keeping AND designate one credit card as a throw away for all subscriptions meaning it should only be used for this subscription purpose so it isn't disruptive as I cancel it, doable but annoying.
Did you try just filing a dispute with your credit card for the charges that happened after you tried to cancel with Peacock? That seems like it would be the easier thing to do rather than cancelling the whole card. I've had a similar situation and it's amazing how quickly the company cancelled my subscription once the credit card company got involved.

I haven't decided yet if I want to cancel Netflix. I watch it for certain shows but none of them are actually netflix shows. And the netflix shows I did watch they have canceled. I can foresee them losing a lot of customers soon.

From what I've read, they use IP addresses. The last I saw, any device that wasn't using the "home" IP address at least once a month would be considered to be somewhere else.

This will probably generate quite a bit of interest in folks setting up their own in-home VPNs.
They've been trialing this in other countries for months to be ready for this so they've had time to figure out the how.

From Netflix:

How Netflix detects devices within a Netflix Household
We use information such as IP addresses, device IDs, and account activity to determine whether a device signed into your account is part of your Netflix Household.
We do not collect GPS data to try to determine the precise physical location of your devices.

They lost some money on me but not my business. I'm keeping it but I downgraded after I told my fam member across the country they had to get off my account or Netflix would make them pay up. They don't want Netflix enough to pay for it so the end result is less money for Netflix from us.

I want to know how this is really going to work. We live in our house, but we also have a cabin where we spend every weekend. Does this mean I'm going to have to pay extra to watch when I'm at my cabin?

I want to know how this is really going to work. We live in our house, but we also have a cabin where we spend every weekend. Does this mean I'm going to have to pay extra to watch when I'm at my cabin?
No. I believe you will need to “notify” them and they give you a code or something that is good for X amount of time before you have to log back in from your home network. More steps to watch when not home or traveling.

My son (26) is the one who pays for and set up our original family account years ago. DS has a profile, DH and I share a profile, and DD has a profile. Now we live in 3 different locations. I started watching the Season 2, 2nd half of Firefly Lane last night with no problems. This afternoon I tried to watch the next episode, but a screen popped up saying: This TV is not part of your Netflix Household. Then it gives me the option to create my own account. At the bottom of the screen it says: Did we get it wrong? You have options. Followed by 2 choices: Update Netflix Household or I’m Traveling.

I clicked the I’m Traveling option. It’ll send a code to my DD’s email address. I might try that. I wonder what would happen if her roommate also tries to watch at their house?

My son (26) is the one who pays for and set up our original family account years ago. DS has a profile, DH and I share a profile, and DD has a profile. Now we live in 3 different locations. I started watching the Season 2, 2nd half of Firefly Lane last night with no problems. This afternoon I tried to watch the next episode, but a screen popped up saying: This TV is not part of your Netflix Household. Then it gives me the option to create my own account. At the bottom of the screen it says: Did we get it wrong? You have options. Followed by 2 choices: Update Netflix Household or I’m Traveling.

I clicked the I’m Traveling option. It’ll send a code to my DD’s email address. I might try that. I wonder what would happen if her roommate also tries to watch at their house?
We were in the middle of watching Manifest. We also got the same message.

Did you try just filing a dispute with your credit card for the charges that happened after you tried to cancel with Peacock? That seems like it would be the easier thing to do rather than cancelling the whole card. I've had a similar situation and it's amazing how quickly the company cancelled my subscription once the credit card company got involved.
Yes, it was my credit card company that told me to close the card as the only way to make it stop.

Seems that my credit card can file a dispute for me with my proof, and did 3 months ago, but the subscription business is free to ignore the dispute indefinitely. So this is the current state of things, which is nice. Glad to see our representatives are fighting the good fight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter