Netflix..anyone cancelling?

Why should there be an exception for students and only students? The world isn't filled with just students who are living away from home with little to no income. I'd also argue it's a paltry amount per month. I was a student when I got Netflix back in what 2006 or 2007 it wasn't like I was making bank either. I would think it was silly (respectfully speaking) that I should get a break over my friend who just happened to not be in college but was in the same similar financial strain as I.

I'll put it this way Netflix is the monthly cost of what one crunchy chicken cheddar wrap with chips was at my college and if I couldn't afford that I had bigger problems.
Why students? Well, as a parent of two. that don't support themselves yet, I really don't understand why I should have to pay an additional "fee" on top of their already overpriced product just because they live away from home a few months out of a year. No matter, I've cancelled already as this really just helped me make the decision.

I think I'm misunderstanding what "IP addresses" are - I thought they were device-specific, not location-specific.

DH tends to watch Netflix on the TV in the den, I tend to watch it on my iPad while using the treadmill. Does that mean Netflix already thinks we're watching in two different "locations" and is just waiting to shut one off?

Why students? Well, as a parent of two. that don't support themselves yet, I really don't understand why I should have to pay an additional "fee" on top of their already overpriced product just because they live away from home a few months out of a year. No matter, I've cancelled already as this really just helped me make the decision.
IDK Prime is the same way. It only allows two 18 and up in an Amazon Household.

I may not agree with your viewpoint but I think it's disingenuous to make this out like it's a plight against students. It's not really. It's because you as the parent don't want to pay anymore than you have to. Which I get, I think we all get, but it has nothing to do with your children being students. You don't have to be a student and yet still be financially taken care of by your parents.

I have the Premium plan currently. If my adult kids are unable to watch it then I won't cancel but I will downgrade. DH and I don't need 4 streams if they can't use it. It honestly feels like poor business to me but it's their business so they can change the rules, I guess. It just seems like a lot of customers might cut back to a lower plan.

I upgraded to premium with kids in college. I needed the additional streams allowed.

I don't kick them off because they share their Paramount, HBO Max, and Disney Plus, and Brit Box with us. Honestly between them, they share with us much more than we would get and use on our own.

Who are others? Is it me or my daughter watching at the different address? Is it me or my father watching when he's at the beach on cellular? They don't KNOW. The email I got specifically states that I can use my account my account when travelling and on my various devices ...that's the way I read it. Seemed clear to me. If we're talking two people using the same account, at the same time ...that would be a totally different story. That I can see them blocking.

You can easily watch Netflix on the go and when you travel — either on your personal devices or a TV at a hotel or vacation home.
If your father is watching on his phone at the beach when he normally doesn't connect to your network at your house they can reasonably assume you've shared your login credentials with your father. Would they block him immediately? IDK but that is a case of when he is another person.

Yes you can watch while you're on vacation because you are using your device to do so..either by your computer, your phone, your tablet or your own firestick, roku, etc. I could see a blip in their procedure if you're connecting via a smart tv located elsewhere not using your own device. That said from other countries there seems to be a 30 day timeframe here so I'm not sure if they'll be using that or not.

From a recent article: "A household as it relates to Netflix, is a specific location like a house, an apartment or other building. Netflix uses IP addresses, device IDs and account activity to determine a household." "Netflix has a few different ways to determine who is in your household. According to this support document here, the company uses the IP address of devices, account activity, and device IDs to determine who is in whose household. A Netflix household can also be set manually, but Netflix will know if you are adding people to your household who actually don’t live there due to device IP addresses and what wireless networks the devices are connecting to."

I think you're too focused on actual persons when what I am talking about and what Netflix is looking at is tech-related stuff and background information they've been collecting on you for forever. They don't need to know if it's your daughter or you, what they are looking at is more raw generic information. For example if we shared our Netflix password with one of my sister-in-law's they don't know that it's that one sister-in-law, but they do know what it's an abnormal device, abnormal IP address and likely although not 100% foolproof abnormal viewing patterns. If you're the primary on the account it's going to be looking at you, if your daughter was the primary account it'd look towards her and you could been seen as the other.

They clearly don't enforce this at all. My family shares with three different shipping addresses and saved credit cards for at least three different people.
Are you talking about Amazon Household or just where someone logins into your account and purchases something from it (which is essentially password sharing)?

What is an Amazon Household?​

A Household allows you to connect and share Amazon benefits with the whole family. Two adults and up to four teens and four child profiles may link in a Household.

Adults (18 and up)​

Two adults in a Household can share digital content and if they are Prime members, Prime benefits.

Teens (13-17 years old)​

Teen logins allow teens to shop on their own and parents approve the order with a simple text. Teens may also access certain Prime benefits if their parents are a Prime member. Learn more

Teen logins are not currently supported on Kindle

Children (12 and under)​

Parents can add children to a Household to manage parental controls on Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers through Kindle FreeTime. Personalize each child's experience by selecting what content they are able to see, and set educational goals and time limits. Children can access digital content that their parent allows on their child's device but are not enabled to shop.

The Amazon Household Program enables two adult family members to share streaming access to thousands of movies and TV shows with Prime Video

_______
FTR saved CC's has nothing to do with an Amazon Household. This is where you are literally sharing your Prime benefits with those in your household. I have shared benefits with my husband as I'm the one with the Prime account. Having multiple shipping addresses is also not related at all either. You can ship to wherever you want really or pay with whatever method you want really.

I think I'm misunderstanding what "IP addresses" are - I thought they were device-specific, not location-specific.

DH tends to watch Netflix on the TV in the den, I tend to watch it on my iPad while using the treadmill. Does that mean Netflix already thinks we're watching in two different "locations" and is just waiting to shut one off?
According to Netflix they don't gather GPS information

"We use information such as IP addresses, device IDs, and account activity to determine whether a device signed into your account is part of your Netflix Household.

We do not collect GPS data to try to determine the precise physical location of your devices."

Not canceling as this change does not effect me. But in practice I think it sucks and don't mind complaining to them about it.

I have received no email and I assume that is because my usage fits what we do. We have multi login for two of us and we are definitely logged in at least 1X per month.

We do travel to separate places and we've never had any problems logging in remote on devices. At least once I paid for the ability for two us to be logged in at the same time that is.

IDK Prime is the same way. It only allows two 18 and up in an Amazon Household.

I may not agree with your viewpoint but I think it's disingenuous to make this out like it's a plight against students. It's not really. It's because you as the parent don't want to pay anymore than you have to. Which I get, I think we all get, but it has nothing to do with your children being students. You don't have to be a student and yet still be financially taken care of by your parents.
When did I say it was a plight against students? Your reading WAY to into a very simple comment,

When did I say it was a plight against students? Your reading WAY to into a very simple comment,
Uh because you said this:
there really should be an exception for students not even earning and income living away from home.

Your gripe isn't about students being away from home with little income. It's just you not wanting to pay for their account when before you could just share your password with them. And I totally get that, but their financial status nor the financial status of other students out there prevents you as a parent or any other parent from just paying for it. In other words their financial status isn't this large barrier such that Netflix should make exceptions for. That's why I said why just students, because your crux is they aren't earning an income living away from home. You don't have to be a student for that to be the case or otherwise be dependent on your parents.

Are you talking about Amazon Household or just where someone logins into your account and purchases something from it (which is essentially password sharing)?

What is an Amazon Household?​

A Household allows you to connect and share Amazon benefits with the whole family. Two adults and up to four teens and four child profiles may link in a Household.

Adults (18 and up)​

Two adults in a Household can share digital content and if they are Prime members, Prime benefits.

Teens (13-17 years old)​

Teen logins allow teens to shop on their own and parents approve the order with a simple text. Teens may also access certain Prime benefits if their parents are a Prime member. Learn more

Teen logins are not currently supported on Kindle

Children (12 and under)​

Parents can add children to a Household to manage parental controls on Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers through Kindle FreeTime. Personalize each child's experience by selecting what content they are able to see, and set educational goals and time limits. Children can access digital content that their parent allows on their child's device but are not enabled to shop.

The Amazon Household Program enables two adult family members to share streaming access to thousands of movies and TV shows with Prime Video

_______
FTR saved CC's has nothing to do with an Amazon Household. This is where you are literally sharing your Prime benefits with those in your household. I have shared benefits with my husband as I'm the one with the Prime account. Having multiple shipping addresses is also not related at all either. You can ship to wherever you want really or pay with whatever method you want really.
We all log into my dad's account, just one profile.

We all log into my dad's account, just one profile.
Yeah that's just password sharing.

What I was paralleling my example to was that Amazon limits their Household to just two 18 and up (then you have the minors) so in the PP's situation where you have a student away at college they would not allow you to have that student be a part of the Household to share benefits including Prime if you've exceeded the limit of 18 and up.

Amazon Household is just to make it so you don't have everyone having to pay for Prime. They didn't used to have that feature. As it stands with my husband and I living in the same house he doesn't have to pay the yearly Amazon Prime membership in order to get the Prime benefits. My account is the Prime account and with the linking he now gets those benefits. He has his own Amazon account and I have my own.

Because most college students are still listed as dependents on their parents tax returns. The parent is still providing the majority of the dependent’s support. And the parent is the primary Netflix account holder.
You asked why should there be an exception for college students
What does that have to do with a voluntary streaming service? No one is saying a parent can't pay for their kid's Netflix account on their behalf (which assumedly the parent is paying for many other things if this is a student without income themselves). IF it is truly THAT big of an issue. Really..what is stopping a parent, who says their kid is so dirt poor they cannot afford it themselves, to not just fork over the money themselves. At that point it's just the parent using their student to fight some principle value...

This isn't a necessity and there are plenty of more serious things where you have to split off despite being a dependent on taxes 🙄
You asked why college students should still be on their parents Netflix account and I explained why some people feel that way.

It’s the same reason the college student is still on their parents health insurance, auto insurance, AAA accounts, dental insurance and tax returns.

They are still dependents as full time college students and their parents are already paying a subscription fee for so many “Screens” as per Netflix requirements.

No one said Netflix is a necessity. Simply that college students are still dependent members of the household.

And of course, you are free to feel differently.

IP addresses are provided by the service provider. So you have a different IP address when you're on a cellular network than when you're on your home wifi, even if you're both home at the time. It would get even more difficult to track using a VPN. My point, is that this is a much ado about nothing situation -just my opinion. Netflix can gather all the info they want and make reasonable assumptions till the sky falls ...but enforcing this is going to be a mess for them. I don't believe they have any actual intention of doing that. This is a money grab ...if 10% of their subscriber base(23,000,000 people) share their password, and 10% of them are honest and pay the $8, that's an extra $18,000,000 per month of "profit". I'm guessing their actual number sharing is even higher than 10%. For the record, I've already paid my $8....

Last edited:
You asked why should there be an exception for college students

You asked why college students should still be on their parents Netflix account and I explained why some people feel that way.

It’s the same reason the college student is still on their parents health insurance, auto insurance, AAA accounts, dental insurance and tax returns.

They are still dependents as full time college students and their parents are already paying a subscription fee for so many “Screens” as per Netflix requirements.

No one said Netflix is a necessity. Simply that college students are still dependent members of the household.

And of course, you are free to feel differently.
I'm not disagreeing that people don't want to pay anymore but I think that's really it. All the other stuff is just stretching something out to rationalize it.

Even your reasons above aren't really actual reasons, but rather annoyances at already paying for other stuff..which is in a nutshell the actual issue.

College students aren't dependent members of the household by definition. Even car insurance companies depending on the student's status (such as living in another state, never visiting home, etc) don't qualify as being a dependent member taxing or otherwise. You gave the reasoning of tax status, well that really has no bearing. For example the (ETA: car) insurance company I was with when I was a college student considered me still part of my mom's household due to the distance until I graduated college but I was according to the IRS independent. Then when the ACA was passed (ETA: after I had graduated college as before ACA you were kicked off the parents plan and if you didn't go to college you were also kicked off) I was able to be back onto my mom's health insurance as her dependent despite the fact that I was independent according to the IRS. One of my sister-in-law's was/is financially dependent on her parents and she never went to college, and she would have been covered under her parent's health insurance except she got married and they had TriCare which does have the married clause in there. If people are really complaining about that part then she also should qualify for Netflix to not force her off.

I'm just trying to say the issue really is just peeps not wanting to pay for something they don't have to right now which I completely get, but it doesn't really help to try and come up with all these other reasons.

Last edited:
Yeah that's just password sharing.

What I was paralleling my example to was that Amazon limits their Household to just two 18 and up (then you have the minors) so in the PP's situation where you have a student away at college they would not allow you to have that student be a part of the Household to share benefits including Prime if you've exceeded the limit of 18 and up.

Amazon Household is just to make it so you don't have everyone having to pay for Prime. They didn't used to have that feature. As it stands with my husband and I living in the same house he doesn't have to pay the yearly Amazon Prime membership in order to get the Prime benefits. My account is the Prime account and with the linking he now gets those benefits. He has his own Amazon account and I have my own.
I guess my point is that Amazon doesn't really care to crack down on password sharing like Netflix is trying to.

I guess my point is that Amazon doesn't really care to crack down on password sharing like Netflix is trying to.
For sure I got your point, it was just your comment to me was about something I wasn't talking about. I was talking about the limitation to 18 up people connected to one's account. Amazon doesn't allow more than two 18 and up members to link accounts to be considered a shared Amazon household, it doesn't matter the IRS tax dependency of others nor the educational status (topics of prior discussion).

There are def. companies that do and don't care about password sharing but just because one does and one doesn't or one doesn't and one does doesn't mean much to us. Each company is allowed to do things differently and change over time.

The IP Addresses that Netflix is talking about are public IP Addressees. The IP Addresses that are assigned to your devices are private IP Addresses. Typically there is only one public IP Address per household and it's assigned to your Internet Modem or Router. That's the one they track and public IP Addresses are location-based because they are divvied out in blocks/bundles by your local Internet Service Provider.

**It is possible to have multiple public IP Addresses in a home. It's just not typical.

The IP Addresses that Netflix is talking about are public IP Addressees. The IP Addresses that are assigned to your devices are private IP Addresses. Typically there is only one public IP Address per household and it's assigned to your Internet Modem or Router. That's the one they track and public IP Addresses are location-based because they are divvied out in blocks/bundles by your local Internet Service Provider.

**It is possible to have multiple public IP Addresses in a home. It's just not typical.
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter