Netflix..anyone cancelling?

My oldest daughter is now married so I'm cutting her off by changing the password. I live somewhere else during the school year but can live without Netflix there. I think they are being ridiculous.

I need more info on this.
We use it at home, at our summer house and when we travel. So, just one family using it in different locations. I will keep it if we can keep using it that way. If not, we would think about canceling.

Do you use the same device when you are home, at the summer house and when traveling? Probably Netflix has your device's info on file.

I bought a new smartphone recently. The first time I tried to log into my Gmail account when I was away from home and using the new phone, my Gmail's security went crazy. It send an alert to my old phone, even though that was at home, asking if I recognize the new device, and then made me double verify my account info, which it normally doesn't do, on the new phone, before actually letting me into my account. Once it knew it really was me logging in, I haven't had a problem using Gmail since.

I suspect that Netflix will just charge people the extra $7.99 for "add user" and make people call or write in to take it off. There will probably be a lot of customers who don't even notice the bill went up, and some who don't bother to fight it for that month, which may be what they are planning on.

Last edited:
From a Forbes article in Feb 2023: "Netflix will have ways of knowing if you are still sharing your account with someone outside of your household. That’s because the streaming service collects a lot of data about you, including what you watch, where you watch it, the location of your home, and device IDs. This information can be used to ascertain whether it’s you watching or someone in another household.

::yes:: Still catching up on this thread that is now 6 pages, so someone further up-thread may have addressed this already, but it sounds like some of you don't know that your IP location and your devices are logged by some websites and some companies.

Go to Google and type in "What's my IP address location" and go to the different sites it brings up to see what comes up. Some of these random sites will be eerily scary on being able to locate you, sometimes down to the neighborhood. :scared: And if you didn't already know how to mask your IP address, it will list it. There are a couple tricks for doing this in your browser. Yet, this is why many people use VPN services, so their real locations and IP addresses can't be tracked.

Here is a photo from when I just accessed my Gmail account on 3 different devices (2 phones and my PC.) I did use my same wifi, so it listed the same IP address for each device, but it did say the different browsers, (Chrome & Firefox) I used and my general location.

IP address pic.jpg

I tested out a couple VPN services a while back, had it mask and list me in Atlanta, or somewhere else. Then I logged into my Gmail and a couple other sites that I know are secure, after just having logged in from NYC 10 minutes earlier. Each account's security went NUTS and wouldn't let me log in, because there was no way I could suddenly be in Atlanta after logging in from my usual HOME location & IP address in NYC only 10 minutes before. :teleport: :thumbsup2 While, as a general rule, I don't like Big Brother tracking us, for these two sites, I was glad they are up on their security.

My brother and I share the standard account. We planned on cancelling. Then I was thinking of doing the ad version and adding the person so the amount would stay about the same. Not sure if that would work or not. We both watch a few shows so would like to keep it, but at the same time I don’t think it’s worth $25 a month for both of us to use it. Not sure, will have to do some thinking about the ad version.

No, not going to cancel. We don't share an account or password with anyone. We go through stages where we watch more than others. I probably could cancel for stretches at a time and go back whenever the shows I like come back on.
Manifest comes back soon, so I can't cancel right now.

Who are others? Is it me or my daughter watching at the different address? Is it me or my father watching when he's at the beach on cellular? They don't KNOW. The email I got specifically states that I can use my account my account when travelling and on my various devices ...that's the way I read it. Seemed clear to me. If we're talking two people using the same account, at the same time ...that would be a totally different story. That I can see them blocking.

You can easily watch Netflix on the go and when you travel — either on your personal devices or a TV at a hotel or vacation home.

This is why traditionally they would limit the numebr of simultaneous streams. That should be enough to police usage to a reasonable level.

So when my DGKs are here with all their tablets/phones watching 15 different shows on 10 different units over the course of a weekend.......how does Netflix see this?

Do they think I went crazy and used every phone/laptop/ tablet saved over the last 10 years?

Last edited:
This is why traditionally they would limit the numebr of simultaneous streams. That should be enough to police usage to a reasonable level.
Way back when, did Netflix limit the number? Sometime you hear, you gave the password to DD at school, who shared with boyfriend, who shared with his friends. so 20 people later.........

As far as I kow, they still limit it. We pay for 4 simultaneous log-ins. There are 5 of us living here and there have been instances where all 5 will try to watch at the same time, and someone gets a message that they cannot watch. When we dropped down to 2 logins, we had the same issue. That's why I don't understand why they care. If I'm paying for 4 people to watch simultaneously, does it matter if the 4 are in my house or not? I'm using what I paid for.

As far as I kow, they still limit it. We pay for 4 simultaneous log-ins. There are 5 of us living here and there have been instances where all 5 will try to watch at the same time, and someone gets a message that they cannot watch. When we dropped down to 2 logins, we had the same issue. That's why I don't understand why they care. If I'm paying for 4 people to watch simultaneously, does it matter if the 4 are in my house or not? I'm using what I paid for.
Yeah, but I am saying I might have the older grandkids sleeping in, while the younger might be watching on tables while I'm starting breakfast. Later younger kids are outside, older kids on phones, etc. Do I now have 27 active items that can only be used 4 at a time?

I feel like they're probably going to generate more hassles, confusion and ill will than it's really worth attempting to police all this. They're thinking like an old school, hard wired cable company - worrying about the physical location of each household. Just charge per stream and jack up the price if you have to make your business model more profitable/viable, then let the market decide if your service is worth it.

I have cancelled just about every streaming service. We haven't found enough to watch for the price. Most of the time we end up using the free ones. Like RokuTv and Pluto TV.

This is the way...you cancel after enjoying a service for a period of time, pick a new one on a deal and do the same...and then cycle back later.

With the writer's strike, this will be the way in the fall...no one will have much new material, so it will be time to enjoy other streamers.

I'll be dropping Hulu (Nov), HBO Max (July), and D+(Nov) (and already canceled my free year of Apple TV last month), and picking up Peacock and Paramount for round 2 on Black Friday, unless I see an unbeatable deal before. Not sure if I'm holding Amazon or also dropping after Black Friday shopping. And I have Netflix free, so that's my only ever certain "keep."

I got MLB.TV and MLS free with my phone for this year also, so I can drop a few extra streamers to enjoy sports...and at least, they'll always be new:).

Yeah, but I am saying I might have the older grandkids sleeping in, while the younger might be watching on tables while I'm starting breakfast. Later younger kids are outside, older kids on phones, etc. Do I now have 27 active items that can only be used 4 at a time?

Do their parents already have a Netflix account? They should just continue to use their same accounts at your place, even if they are using your WiFi. Especially if they've done that before. IF they've been keeping track of the locations their accounts are being used, Netflix will probably know the accounts are being accessed on mobile devices that move around, and they've been to your place before.

Netflix may institute something similar to the way credit card security works. For instance, I can walk into Best Buy once in a blue moon and drop $500 on a new laptop, then walk down the street and buy some clothing, then stop in at the drug store on the way home, and my card will not be flagged for the purchases.

One time, my credit card got skimmed so the thieves had my CC number. They made a new card and used it in the same vicinity I shop, but they dropped $500 in a sporting goods store, then went to a fancy restaurant I've never been in and then went to a drug store chain I rarely go in as they jack up their prices. My credit card was flagged immediately by fraud detection and I got a call verifying those charges. Netflix may do something similar to detect "suspicious activity" on an account.

I would think the bigger issue you will have is having 27 devices accessing your WiFi at the same time. It may not be able to handle all those devices at the same time, especially for streaming.

This is the way...you cancel after enjoying a service for a period of time, pick a new one on a deal and do the same...and then cycle back later. [...]

I'll be dropping Hulu (Nov), HBO Max (July), and D+(Nov) (and already canceled my free year of Apple TV last month), and picking up Peacock and Paramount for round 2 on Black Friday, unless I see an unbeatable deal before.

How are you able to get the deals the second time around? Most deals are for new subscribers, not people returning. While one can sign up again using a different email and name, some companies know when the same credit card is being used again.

DH and I rotate streaming services. Primarily 2 channels on Prime, then Disney+/HBO Max/Netflix. At any one time we have about 3 different streaming channels or services but none of them stay on year round.

I pay for the premium plan which is 4 devices and two of my kids don’t live at home.

Netflix's language is "Watch on your TV, computer, mobile phone and tablet". Technically you've been bending the rules since although your SO's devices could be argued as being yours, if you can't claim your children as tax dependents it's unlikely legally you can consider their devices 'yours'.

How are you able to get the deals the second time around? Most deals are for new subscribers, not people returning. While one can sign up again using a different email and name, some companies know when the same credit card is being used again.

Amazon Prime channels for us. I usually wait until the holidays and the discounted price goes live to re-activate.

Well we just got the email that Netflix will be charging an extra $8 a month for an extra person outside of your house to use your account. I pay for the premium plan which is 4 devices and two of my kids don’t live at home. I am not paying more per month for it and decided to cancel. I don’t see why they care “where” you are as long as no more than however many devices are on your plan are being used.

Anyone else cancelling?
Same. We use ours in our camp and at home. If we have to pay for using it weekends we are away then it’s not worth it. We have Apple TV so we will just watch that instead.

I got MLB.TV and MLS free with my phone for this year also, so I can drop a few extra streamers to enjoy sports...and at least, they'll always be new:).
A friend got in a bizarre situation with MLB TV. He wanted to watch Oakland A's games and all the home games were blacked out because "he lives too close to Oakland". Ah......he lives in Eugene, Oregon, 500+ miles and an 8 hour drive away. Yet, Seattle Mariners games are not blacked out. Seattle is half as far away as Oakland. Go figure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter