Need to buy a DVC AP ASAP.Have ?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I need some help on getting the best deal on a DVC AP. I usually spend time researching but just don't have any...We are visiting Disneyland next month and decided to spend a few days at WDW at the end of that trip. I wasn't planning on buying a new AP (mine expired in March) until my January trip but now need one ASAP. DD is pressuring me to just buy through Disney so we can make fastpasses but I don't want to miss out on any financial savings. I usually buy through UT and then upgrade while there. I believe there is a Premium AP for the price of the regular Gold but I won't use the water park passes so I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy through UT like I usually do?? Thanks for any help

Ok. just snuck in some research on lunch break... UT is selling a 7 day PH for $470 including tax. Disney's price for that ticket is $517 so a $47 savings. Just want to make sure I can upgrade while there to the DVC AP...it should cost me another $80 to upgrade.

Ok. just snuck in some research on lunch break... UT is selling a 7 day PH for $470 including tax. Disney's price for that ticket is $517 so a $47 savings. Just want to make sure I can upgrade while there to the DVC AP...it should cost me another $80 to upgrade.

If you bought into DVC prior to April 2016 then you are entitled to the perk that Disney is currently offering. Iirc a new platinum plus pass is 559$ plus tax a 25% saving.

You should be able to. Right now the gold and platinum plus passes are the same price due to the promotion. The platinum plus: in addition to including the water parks, some golf courses, and the ESPN sports complex; it has no blackout dates.

The amount you pay depends on when UT got their tix. If the tix are from before Feb., it will cost more to upgrade to an AP. If the tix are after the last ticket price increase, then you'll just have that $42 price you'll need to pay to get an AP.

FWIW, for us, it has seemed that buying discounted (or fuel points promotions) Disney Gift Cards , then using those gift cards to buy tickets direct from Disney (that are instantly on MDE) has worked out to the same or better savings than UT.

I went ahead and got an e-ticket from UT and was able to link it to MDE and make fastpasses in under 10 minutes. Since there's no actual ticket do I print out the confirmation page to upgrade or can they do that through MDE at guest services?

I went ahead and got an e-ticket from UT and was able to link it to MDE and make fastpasses in under 10 minutes. Since there's no actual ticket do I print out the confirmation page to upgrade or can they do that through MDE at guest services?
They can do it thru MDE at guest services. I had a ticket from a package attached in MDE (never got a physical ticket) and was able to upgrade it to an AP last fall just by having them scan my MB.

We upgraded to a Gold from an UT ticket this past January, and while they were able to do it at guest services (in Disney Springs--very nice!), the CM who initially helped us had no idea how, and he had to get a manager. Then it was lickety-split. We had nothing printed out, just our magic bands. They scan them, check your photo i.d., and check again to make sure they've upgraded you correctly. Then you're on your way. Enjoy your trip!

Do you still need to use one day of your UT ticket before upgrading? DH and I bought 5 day PH, for next month and plan to upgrade to the Platinum DVC pass while there. We are arriving after 7pm to Epcot on our first day. Can we do it at the International Gateway entrance that late in the day, or is it better to wait until the next day after we have used our tickets at AK?

Do you still need to use one day of your UT ticket before upgrading? DH and I bought 5 day PH, for next month and plan to upgrade to the Platinum DVC pass while there. We are arriving after 7pm to Epcot on our first day. Can we do it at the International Gateway entrance that late in the day, or is it better to wait until the next day after we have used our tickets at AK?
There is no need to use a ticket before upgrading. (Several ticketing CM's have said that was outdated advice)

You can perform any AP transaction at IG through park closing. By performing the upgrade on the arrival day, your AP would expire 1 day earlier (vs upgrading the following day),but any AP discounts would start 1 day earlier...if that is a benefit.

We upgraded to a Gold from an UT ticket this past January, and while they were able to do it at guest services (in Disney Springs--very nice!), the CM who initially helped us had no idea how, and he had to get a manager. Then it was lickety-split. We had nothing printed out, just our magic bands. They scan them, check your photo i.d., and check again to make sure they've upgraded you correctly. Then you're on your way. Enjoy your trip!
FYI, you should always ask for AP discount cards. Many discounts (especially non-Disney ones) require that card.

FYI, you should always ask for AP discount cards. Many discounts (especially non-Disney ones) require that card.

I'm not sure what you mean by an AP discount card--when we got the upgrade, we got the cards as well. In WDW, we take turns each day carrying a few things, i.e., only one of us has a phone, some cash, id, and a DVC/AP cards. We ask everywhere if we're going to buy something, do they give discounts for either of those? Then one of us has id and one of those cards if needed.

I'm not sure what you mean by an AP discount card--when we got the upgrade, we got the cards as well. In WDW, we take turns each day carrying a few things, i.e., only one of us has a phone, some cash, id, and a DVC/AP cards. We ask everywhere if we're going to buy something, do they give discounts for either of those? Then one of us has id and one of those cards if needed.
I had to ask for the AP card (when I upgraded last month).

Since you mentioned nothing printed, I wanted to make sure others knew that they wouldn't want to walk out of Guest Relations with just Magic Band scanning and a CM saying they were upgraded.

It was an issue in the past, that CMs weren't giving the cards. You didn't mention getting a card so I'm sure the previous poster was making sure.

Ap on the band doesn't give you the discount unless you get a really nice cm. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter