Need Dining Assistance on Dream

nj2vagrl

Earning My Ears
Going on our first Disney Cruise in August with husband and both sons 12 and 11. Would like to know about rotational dining previous two cruises husband and I were on did not do this. How does it work, how do I alert them I'm gluten free, is there a dress code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
So excited to be taking our first family cruise with Disney!

Going on our first Disney Cruise in August with husband and both sons 12 and 11. Would like to know about rotational dining previous two cruises husband and I were on did not do this. How does it work, how do I alert them I'm gluten free, is there a dress code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
So excited to be taking our first family cruise with Disney!

You will be assigned a dining rotation, which will be noted on your key to the world card. It looks like a mysterious code, but it's just the first letter of the name of the dining rooms.

Yes, you need to tell DCL you're gluten free. Either phone them or have your travel agent do it.

Dress code -- is only enforced in Palo and Remy. Otherwise it's pretty much anything goes, except they request no shorts or bathing suits in the main dining rooms. Depending on the length of your cruise: 7-days or longer, there is a formal night, semi-formal, and the rest nights are cruise casual. Shorter cruises have an optional dressup night.

You will also have the same serving team at dinner each night.

It's also a good idea to go to dining changes on embarkation day to ensure the gluten restriction has, in fact, been noted on your ressie. Things sometimes get lost, miscommunicated, whatever.

I received this email from Disney today. I was looking for more specific info. But, I received a generic answer. It does talk about dress code.

Thank you for your interest in a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general,
most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- jeans, khakis and capris are permitted;
however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing shorts, swimwear or
tank tops in the dining rooms.

Below is the recommended attire for your cruise itinerary and is subject
to change:

On 8-night Bahamian cruises out of Galveston:
*Nights 1, 3, 4, 5, & 8: cruise casual
*Night 2: "formal night": formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for
women: gown or dress
*Night 6: pirate night with deck party: cruise casual or bring your
best pirate outfit!
*Night 7: "semi-formal night": semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket;
for women: dress or pantsuit

These requirements are not mandatory for the rotational dining
restaurants on the ship; however, in order to re-create a classic and
memorable dining experience for you and all our Guests, we recommend the
attire schedule that is planned for your upcoming cruise.

As far as documenting your need to be gluten free, we usually send an email (DCL.Special.Request.Medical@disney.com) and include the Reservation #, Sail date, cabin #, the name of the person who has the special need and what that special need is. (The medical form used to have a spot for allergies but doesn't anymore so we e-mail so I have a copy showing I put in the request.) You can call but I don't find that to be effective -- it's 50/50 if the information gets to the right spot and put on the record where the onboard staff can find it.

As far as rotational dining, you will visit 3 main dining rooms (MDRs) instead of going to one. Your table number will be the same in each (so you don't have to remember a different one) and your serving team will rotate with you so you will have the same team throughout the cruise (unless there is an issue and you speak to the head server about a change). You will rotate through in a set sequence (you get this printed on your KTTW card and a ticket in your stateroom). Even though there are only 3 dining rooms, on cruises longer than 3 nights, the menus will change each night. So if you are in Parrot Cay 4 nights (looked like you were on an 8 night sailing), you will get the Parrot Cay signature menu only once. The other 3 visits to Parrot Cay will be special menus (i.e. Captain's Gala, Pirate, 'Til We Meet Again, Prince and Princess, etc.)

As far as dress code, most nights are cruise casual which translates to something like dockers/polo shirts for men, casual sundresses or capris/tops for women. On formal night, you will see all variations -- some like to keep just the cruise casual all cruise, other's really dress up with tuxes and gowns and you'll see all variations between the two. Semi-formal night is similar in that there will be a lot of range, just usually less really formal.

Enjoy your DCL cruise experience.

I was on the Dream at the end of December and I am celiac so gluten free is a must. We noted it on our reservation and spoke with dining once onboard. They were very accommodating and could pretty much make anything I wanted gluten free. At the end of dinner, they would bring the menu for the next night so I would have a gluten free meal prepared for the next day. They do also have bread for you to enjoy the nightly bread service. I didn't eat at the buffets but I did have a special lunch ordered for me for the Castaway Cay BBQ and this was put it in by the wait staff the day before. Overall, it was a great experience.

PM me if you have any additional questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter