My recent dining experiences....

MissMickee

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my tro
DH and I just returned from WDW and I wanted to share our dining experiences with you...

We made ADR's for The Concourse Steakhouse (CR), The California Grill (CR) and 50's Prime Time Cafe (MGM).

Our first was at the Concourse. We were seated 25 minutes AFTER our 8:40pm ADR was scheduled. Our waiter was HORRIBLE! I wish I remembered his name, I'd TOTALLY post it. He was VERY inattentive and even walked away as DH asked for ketchup. The food was ok but after that service, we wouldn't eat here again. Not a great start to our trip, that's for sure. We did hear a guest comment that they were sorry to hear that the Concourse was closing, and the CM said they weren't closing, just "getting a make-over"... ??

Our next was at the Prime Time Cafe. Thinking it couldn’t possible get worse, we were surprised that it did. We checked in behind a couple who had an ADR 5 minutes AFTER ours, but were seated a good 10 minutes AFTER them (and a good 20 minutes AFTER our ADR)! That just fired DH right up. Then we were seated on a curved bench, not even able to face one another while we ate, but instead we had to stare at eveyone else around us as they ate. The fire just got hotter. Plus, everything I'd read about this restaurant FALSLY advertised that there were TV on EVERY table. Not the case. There were 2 TVs in our ROOM (of 4 tables). And one was directly over our heads. DH was in a HORRIBLE mood by the time "Mama" (our waitress) came and her fun antics just didn't go over well with him. The food, however, was wonderful. Just like a home cooked meal! We both felt that the servings were quite small for the price though. And were both VERY unimpressed with the brownie sundae, as we've never had one with a COLD brownie. Ewwwww! DH stopped to speak with the manager on the way out, as he was still VERY upset with being seated after the other folks with the later ADR and the horrible table, but even after waiting 15 minutes, the manager never came out. We'll never eat there again either.

Our entire trip was redeemed by one man. Gary at the California Grill. This was the best place we've eaten since we visited the Rock Center Cafe at Rockefeller Center in NYC. Our ADR was for 9:30pm so we could enjoy Wishes while we ate. Having had all the problems actually getting seated anywhere near our ADR time, we arrived an HOUR early. We were IMMEDIATLY seated! And HOUR early!!! And we were one table off of the MK view windows. We had a GREAT view! Our server, Gary, was amazing. And not just because we'd had a terrible time up to that point, he was one of the best servers we've EVER had. The food was delicious. We started with the 3 cheese flatbread with sun dried tomatoes and pesto. OMG! It was to DIE for!!! I want more just as I sit here typing!! DH asked for some shrimp cocktail, that wasn't on the menu, but they were happy to make one up. He said it was the second best shrimp cocktail he'd ever eaten (the first is the Rock Center Cafe's). He said it would have tied had it only been a little colder. We then split a Hearts of Romaine salad and finished it up just as Wishes started. Gary was great about not interrupting Wishes, so our main course was served just after Wishes ended. DH had the Oak Fired Beef Filet and said it was one of the best steaks he’s EVER had. And he’s had A LOT of steaks. I had the Chicken Breast with Semonila Pasta. It was delicious. A little spicy, be delicious. We were then surprised with a “Happy Anniversary” slice of chocolate cake for dessert. We’re not 100% sure how they knew it was our anniversary, since we didn’t mention it, but we were staying at the Contemporary and they knew, so we can only assume it was on our reservation somehow. I was WAY too stuffed to eat any of it, but DH said it was good. A little sweet though. But that’s the whole point right? When we returned to our room, DH made sure to call up to the restaurant and spoke to the manager, praising Gary. This will definitely be a routine stop on every future WDW trip.

We also popped into Chef Mickey’s our last day without an ADR. The concierge told us that they took walk-ins between 7am-8:30am. True, true. We showed up at about 8:15 and were seated, WITHOUT and ADR, within 15 minutes… the only catch - they didn’t take our photo in front of the Chef Mickey’s plate, guess that’s just for ADR visitors. As always, the buffet here has a great selection but you definitely pay extra for having the character’s present. Buffet breakfast for the two of us costs $40!!

So, what have I learned from this trip? Make any ADRs 30 minutes before you actually want them, that’s for sure. When you’re seated WAY after your “reservation”, it just starts you off on the wrong foot. And yes, I understand that ADRs aren’t for a guaranteed time, more like getting your name “on the list”, but when your hungry and tired after a long day, 25 minutes is a long time wait when you’re not expecting it.

Oh boy I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experiences!!

I know you would have written a letter about the Concourse guy (as I would have too) for the bad service, but please by all means write a pleasant letter about Gary and how he really helped turn your vacation around. It's so much easier (and sometimes more fun! lol) to write a complaint letter-just think...you may be making Gary's whole day to get a letter of compliment. Just something to think about. :)

Have a great day!

Sorry about your wait..we go in the off season alot and are seated early if not on time. The worst was at H&V one Dec, we were seated almost and hour after our ADR time...we would have gone somewhere else but there wasnt any openings and we do not like CS places in MGM

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences at Concourse Steakhouse and 50s Prime Time. So glad that you had a great time at California Grill though - your server sounds great and it's good that Disney were able to redeem themselves, so to speak, with a good experience after 2 bad ones.

What a shame that bad service ruined what should have been a lovely meal.

So sorry to hear about your bad experiences at Concourse and Prime-Time...I'm very glad you had great service and a wonderful meal at Cali Grill though, as we have made ADRs for dinner there!!!

what a shame that your meal at concourse was ruined by rude staff, hope we fare better here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter