Mousekeeping quandary

okienick

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide about this tipping thing. We are staying at BCV for 9 nights. 2 adults. We don't usually have housekeeping clean our rooms anytime we go anywhere just because we don't normally like folks in our rooms. We prob will every couple of days on this trip. How often are they required to "clean" for health code? I know they are supposed to come in after so many days. Anyone know what they are required to clean? Just trying to decide how much to budget for tipping if we decide to do it. Still not convinced one way or the other. Prob let DH be the deciding vote. :). TIA!

Not sure if there is a code. For DVC they take the trash out and replace the towels on day four and clean on day 8. Not sure if this is the minimum. My guess would be if you put up the do not disturb on your door they will not disturb you for your entire trip.

If you are staying on points, they will only want to come in on the 4th day and the 7th day.

If you are paying 'cash', they will be available to you every day. You can let Housekeeping know that you don't want them to come in by calling when you arrive and set up your own schedule.

Personally, we've never had any problems with housekeepers in numerous trips to WDW and I like coming back to a room that has had the bed remade and the bathroom and sinks cleaned. (Plus we like fresh towels, since it's hard to tell who used which ones).

And since you asked about tip. People generally tip $1 a person per day of housekeeping.

Trying to decide about this tipping thing. We are staying at BCV for 9 nights. 2 adults. We don't usually have housekeeping clean our rooms anytime we go anywhere just because we don't normally like folks in our rooms. We prob will every couple of days on this trip. How often are they required to "clean" for health code?

i don't think it works like that... :)

DVC is a home-away-from-home concept. they clean between guests. i don't believe they are "required" to clean at all for a stay for one guest.

I know they are supposed to come in after so many days. Anyone know what they are required to clean?

tip what you deem appropriate (or not).

here's the basic info for stays on points:

Housekeeping Services

Trash & Towel Service

For stays of seven or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:

•Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
•Provide fresh bathroom linens.
•Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
•Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
•Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
•Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.

Full Cleaning Service

For stays of eight or more nights, Full-Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both. With Full-Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

•Change the bed linens.
•Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
•Clean the bathroom(s).
•Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

Pay As You Play

With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more for the following fees:

•Toiletries Package, $5.00 - 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
•Coffee Package, $3.00 - 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
•Towel Package, $6.00 - 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
•Laundry Detergent (only in One-, Two-, and Three-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1.00 - 1 box

Additional Full Cleaning Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $30.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $45.00 per day requested
•Two-Bedroom - $60.00 per day requested
•Three-Bedroom - $75.00 per day requested

Additional Trash & Towel Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $15.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $20.00 per day requested
•Two-Bedroom - $25.00 per day requested
•Three-Bedroom - $35.00 per day requested

If you are staying on points, they will only want to come in on the 4th day and the 7th day.

If you are paying 'cash', they will be available to you every day. You can let Housekeeping know that you don't want them to come in by calling when you arrive and set up your own schedule.

Personally, we've never had any problems with housekeepers in numerous trips to WDW and I like coming back to a room that has had the bed remade and the bathroom and sinks cleaned. (Plus we like fresh towels, since it's hard to tell who used which ones).

And since you asked about tip. People generally tip $1 a person per day of housekeeping.

If you are staying on a DVC reservation through Member Services (points or cash), you will get services every fourth day. So day 4, day 8 , day 12, etc. If you are staying on a cash reservation through Disney Reservation Center, you will get a daily full cleaning.

Housekeeping is a non-tipped position. So you would not need to leave a tip unless you choose to do so. Like you had a big problem in the villa and left a big mess (kid got sick, something broke and got all over the place). But for trash and towel service, the housekeeper will be in and out in less than five minutes. So all people don't "generally" tip. Some do, especially if they are on a cash reservation that gets daily full service.

RE: TIPPING RESORT ROOM MAIDS

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
. . . under normal circumstances and conditions
. . . changing towels, making beds, cleaning bathroom, straightening, re-stocking
. . . but, if we REALLY mess up the room, that is a different matter
. . . for creating mega-maid-work, I would leave a couple of bucks that day
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
5) WDW maids (per union contract) can
. . . make up to $13.48/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

NOTE: The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets treated the same,
whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did not want people to have
to tip everywhere they went or for every service they received.

We usually leave $5 a day if it is just Dh and myself and we leave $10 a day when it is all 5 of us. SOme ppl say to leave $1 per person per day but when there is just 2 of us there is no way I would leave just $2 or $3. I would leave no tip at all before leaving such a small one.

It is not clear whether you are staying on points or if you just booked on cash through Disney.

If you are on points they won't be coming in your room every day anyway so I wouldn't worry about tipping at all. That is what your maintenance fees pay for.

And as for Disney housekeepers CAN MAKE up to $13 an hour...I think you would have to work there about 10 years to make it up that high.

It's a lousy dirty job and they deserve a little something from the guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter