Mouse keeping--is this just an issue at Poly?

I've never been in a hotel (worldwide) where hotel rooms aren't finished by 3-:30. The staff starts early and completes their work by check in. All of the work...not just new check ins. Disney gets this wrong, very wrong. They want you to spend time at their resorts. They want you to buy DVC. Their service must be top notch for people to consider buying in. Sloppy hallways, trays left, and rooms that aren't cleaned within a reasonable time frame won't attract repeat customers or potential buyers.

And I am advocating for both the workers AND the consumer. One does not exist without the other. Human error? No problem. Repeat problems occurring to many customers? Problem.
Maybe things are changing? We were in Gatlinburg 2 weeks ago and came back to our room in the afternoon and the maid was in our room cleaning it, she was just finishing our room but still had the rest of our floor to go. They were not finished by 3:00. We sat on the balcony while she wrapped up. It could very well be that it's an issue with staffing all the way around. It was just her and 1 other guy to do the entire hotel. Anyway, it's not just a Disney issue

We stayed at the Poly last week and had no complaints about the service. Our room was always cleaned by the time we got back in the afternoon, except one day when they were still in the room when we got back around 2:30.

We had the same issue last year at the POLY. All our stays at POP century and it was only missed one day and we have stayed there a lot. It was always really late when they were doing our room at the poly. We were in Hawaii last year.

How did it take 3 hours? Come back and room not touched. Requested service again, after it was already noted in the system by the manager, and they come another 2-3 hours later. And the housekeeping does not take 15 mins. My brother waited in the lobby area while they were cleaning, and they were in there for 45 mins. Hey, if you don't mind paying over $500 a night, and coming back to a room that hasn't been cleaned....more power to you. Like I said, we've been an annually guest at Disney for more than 20 years, and this has never happened before...EVER.

You can be in the room during that whole time, though. You don't have to lose time in the room.

There must have been some extenuating circumstances regarding the cleaning time...I highly doubt 45 minute cleanings are the norm, especially for a continuing reservation.

You can be in the room during that whole time, though. You don't have to lose time in the room.

There must have been some extenuating circumstances regarding the cleaning time...I highly doubt 45 minute cleanings are the norm, especially for a continuing reservation.

I've found some housekeepers are very hesitant about servicing the room when it is occupied. We've had to be extra encouraging more than once that it was fine.

I've heard Poly housekeeping can be hit or miss. Our last stay it was good. I have the same schedule. Park in morning, afternoon break etc. I phoned housekeeping and requested morning clean.

I'm totally doing this.... we'll be back by 1 so the baby can nap. Hopefully we can get a morning clean.

We've stayed at WL many times, often in the same room and mousekeeping was always starting in our section by 7am so our room was routinely cleaned very early.

Earlier this year, just DH and I stayed at the Poly for the first time. At around 7:30am, we were finishing up getting ready to leave the room when mousekeeping knocked on our door. We asked her give us 10 more minutes and she said, sure! When we left, there was only one cart on our floor. When we returned to our room around 4pm, no signs of mousekeeping anywhere (did not expect to see them) and our room was not touched. We figured they forgot us. Since it was just the two of us and we are pretty tidy folks, we didn't care. The rest of our stay, the room was never cleaned when we returned to our room - usually between 4-5pm, but was cleaned when we returned at the end of out day. I found that odd.

We have never had any problems with Mousekeeping, usually they go above and beyond what I would expect.
We are never back at our room early though so if they didn't clean our room until 6pm I'd never know.
That being said, obviously they are short staffed and they need to do something to attract and retain good employees, like another poster mentioned.
If they are not willing to spend the money it takes to have enough staff to keep the hallways clean then they will have to pay the exterminator to kill the rats and roaches feasting on room service leftovers. ...and if a Disney hotel develops a rat problem it will be on YouTube instantly.

Hard for Disney to pay enough to get decent /enough housekeepers when they are bleeding at ESPN because they obviously do not know their sports audience and yet still paying senior executives exorbitant salaries. :sad2:

Hard for Disney to pay enough to get decent /enough housekeepers when they are bleeding at ESPN because they obviously do not know their sports audience and yet still paying senior executives exorbitant salaries. :sad2:

You also have to factor in all of the requests. How much time does housekeeping waste going from building to building cleaning the special request rooms? Instead of doing a building at a time they have to go to building 3 for 2 rooms around 8 am, then to building 6 for 3 rooms at 9, then zoom to building 11 because those guests want a 10:30 cleaning. It is fine that people want their rooms cleaned at a certain time, but it also messes things up and causes delays.

Makes me value our DVC reservations even more. We make our own beds, pick up our own trash, do our own dishes. The room is ready when we get back from the park to head to the pool. Most of the time we'll just get trash and towel service and that takes about five minutes to finish.

You also have to factor in all of the requests. How much time does housekeeping waste going from building to building cleaning the special request rooms? Instead of doing a building at a time they have to go to building 3 for 2 rooms around 8 am, then to building 6 for 3 rooms at 9, then zoom to building 11 because those guests want a 10:30 cleaning. It is fine that people want their rooms cleaned at a certain time, but it also messes things up and causes delays.

The GF actually has a housekeeping manager within each building. There is no running around from building to building there. As I said, their timing was never an issue in previous years. This was the first time that it was a continuous issues throughout an 11 day stay. If it happened once or twice, no big deal. But every day? The staff is super hesitant to service a room when you are present. They request when they can come back. Service was so late one day, that the turn down service staff came in about 45 mins after or room was actually cleaned. I totally understand how some may not be concerned with the service. Many people stay out in the parks all day and night, and wouldn't even know what time their room was done. Our family, stays there annually for more than 20 years. We spend at least 3-5 hours each day at the resort, whether its relaxing in the room, by the pool or simply walking the resort grounds. So we were really surprised to see the decline in housekeeping.

Housekeepers are assigned by floors, not by buildings. Every occupied room needs servicing every day. A housekeeper may be assigning more than one floor but it is extremely doubtful that one moves from building to building to clean individual rooms.

Housekeepers are assigned by floors, not by buildings. Every occupied room needs servicing every day. A housekeeper may be assigning more than one floor but it is extremely doubtful that one moves from building to building to clean individual rooms.

If many people put in special requests they would have to move around, that is my point. They couldn't clean in an orderly manner, they would have to do a lot of zipping around.

When a housekeeper enters a floor, they service occupied rooms that patrons have left. They then backtrack to service rooms where patrons leave later in the day. This is the normal routine in every hotel. If a patron requests service by a certain time, they will be serviced earlier on the floor in which the housekeeper is working. When a floor has 20+ occupied rooms, it is doubtful that housekeepers run from building to building. They have enough to do on one or two floors of the building assigned.

When a housekeeper enters a floor, they service occupied rooms that patrons have left. They then backtrack to service rooms where patrons leave later in the day. This is the normal routine in every hotel. If a patron requests service by a certain time, they will be serviced earlier on the floor in which the housekeeper is working. When a floor has 20+ occupied rooms, it is doubtful that housekeepers run from building to building. They have enough to do on one or two floors of the building assigned.

If Disney has to fulfill a bunch of time requests the housekeepers will have to do a bunch of running around. And it will eat up more time then doing rooms in order. Even if it is the same building, if room 1 A wants a 9 am service and 4 C wants a 10 am service, they are not going floor by floor. Or someone is not getting their request. If they move around to meet the requests it takes more time. Which is my point.

If Disney has to fulfill a bunch of time requests the housekeepers will have to do a bunch of running around. And it will eat up more time then doing rooms in order. Even if it is the same building, if room 1 A wants a 9 am service and 4 C wants a 10 am service, they are not going floor by floor. Or someone is not getting their request. If they move around to meet the requests it takes more time. Which is my point.

I don't think you can specify a time for housekeeping. You can ask for a general time like late morning or early afternoon.

I DID buy into DVC and we don't get daily housekeeping. It was part of why I like it. We don't want or need housekeeping. No need for strangers in our room. Towels can be reused (and if for some reason they can't, we grab more). I can nap in an unmade bed and I can rinse out dirty glasses or even (gasp) throw away my own trash. I wouldn't mind even skipping

I DID buy into DVC and we don't get daily housekeeping. It was part of why I like it. We don't want or need housekeeping. No need for strangers in our room. Towels can be reused (and if for some reason they can't, we grab more). I can nap in an unmade bed and I can rinse out dirty glasses or even (gasp) throw away my own trash. I wouldn't mind even skipping

This is becoming a larger trend in alot of hotels, where they will even reimburse you with reward points or other ways by reusing/recycling and limiting housekeeping. I'm sure it has to do with staff costs but I also limit housekeeping unless I absolutely need something taken care of

We've had very subpar housekeeping on our last 3 stays at the Boardwalk Inn (2015, 2016 & 2017). We would be getting ready for dinner around 5:00pm & housekeeping would finally show up to do our room. It didn't matter if we called for early cleaning (by noon) or not they just wouldn't show. We were on 3 different floors over our stays & they were all serviced late or not at all. Most days we just took clean towels from them & asked if they could empty the trash. We are actually thinking of staying at different resort next year but it seems like most of them have the same issue.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter