Mom-Hugs and Magic: Planning our Summer 2021 Vacation - Updated - Completed, TR Started! 9/14

A Fail, a Win, and a Theme Park Mini-Trip!

Fail: Well, today I attempted to make a reservation for Oga's Cantina for our first full day and to no large surprise... no luck! Since we are on a split reservation, I will try again tomorrow for our second full-day, but I really have very little hope. I'll see if I can hunt it down, but if not - we won't let it ruin our trip! I am hoping 'Ohana opens before our trip and that I can snag an ADR for that one as well... keeping watch.

Win: Today I also got a phone call that Joe and I will be able to receive the vaccine tomorrow! :yay: I am thrilled that we will have one shot done before arrival in the USA. We will be receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is usually spread between 8 and 12 weeks here for the second jab, so chances are we will get the second shot once we get back to Germany after our vacation. I put us both on several lists with doctors last week after realizing we would likely NOT be getting a shot from the vaccine center (which has the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine) anytime soon. I had been trusting the system a bit too much I guess, in that yes - eventually I would get a call from the vaccine center (August? September, maybe?), but I hadn't realized how much more vaccine the local doctors had until recently. I researched first the AstraZeneca vaccine at the encouragement of our dear @Flossbolna, spoke to Joe about it all, then I researched doctors that spoke English and had plenty of vaccine. Hours and hours of pouring over websites and expat Facebook groups to find those doctors! Thankfully all that work paid off and I got the call!

Germany has 40% of its residents with at least one jab. The roll-out has not been smooth or perfect by any means, it's nothing like people have experienced in the States where you can now just roll-up to Wal-Mart and get a jab. Perhaps a tad more like when the vaccine was first released in the US and people struggled to understand how to get one and there were no appointments open. But, it has gotten better over the last two months, and if you are willing to take the AstraZeneca vaccine, which after much research I decided that I was, it's far easier to get. (It's a very controversial vaccine here). I did not expect a call this week, but I'm thrilled that I got it! Now to cancel our names off all the other lists we are on.... haha!

Just a point of clarification: the doctors have more than just AstraZeneca as well, but very small amounts and the list is loooong. So if you want a vaccine and don't want to wait - taking AZ via a doctor is the key.

There is a CHANCE Henry will get the vaccine (BioNTech-Pfizer) next month at school. But no solid word on that yet.

Enough about vaccines! :crazy2:

Mini-Trip: And in other exciting news, we will be going to Europa Park next week with @Flossbolna and Michael ! If you have been reading her never-ending TR from 2017 you already know this! I am really looking forward to exploring a new area of Germany AND seeing one of Europe's best theme parks. It will feel SO GOOD to be on a real vacation again! We'll be doing a joint TR - I'll share those details as we figure them out. 4.2 million pictures will be taken, and I'll be sharing on Instagram (if you don't already follow me there, DM me and I'll share the details).

Yes, that is part of Europa Park! There is a roller coaster in their "Spaceship Earth"

Not much else in the trip planning world going on. I keep hunting rental car prices and WOW are those scary. :scared1::rotfl2: I'd really love to avoid the busses, as I read a horror story daily of how long people are waiting.... but it's literally $100 a day for a roller-skate! We just might use Lyft all the time instead.

Last edited:
I'm slowly catching up! So far I made it through page 1.

It sounds like you have good solid plans for your first three days. They're rather ambitious for my touring pace, but I'm a lot slower and laid back, due to the fact that I'm old and tired. :laughing:

I'm glad to be reading about Florida trips again. It will be a while before we get back there, and it keeps me up on my game to hear about the new rides and restaurants.

I'll keep plugging away so I can catch up on all my German friend's threads!

I'm slowly catching up! So far I made it through page 1.

It sounds like you have good solid plans for your first three days. They're rather ambitious for my touring pace, but I'm a lot slower and laid back, due to the fact that I'm old and tired. :laughing:

I'm glad to be reading about Florida trips again. It will be a while before we get back there, and it keeps me up on my game to hear about the new rides and restaurants.

I'll keep plugging away so I can catch up on all my German friend's threads!

:rotfl2: Ya, we'll see how much we accomplish in the heat... usually I can lay out a pretty good plan and we get a lot conquered, but I'm not placing any bets this trip!!!

Love all the throwback pictures!! :-)

Thank you! They have been so much fun to go through!!

Page 2 down!

I didn't realize that WDW was allowing park hopping again. See? The things that you learn!

Doesn't CHH have some sort of chicken nuggets?

Loved the PP pic with you and your nuggets!

We are not big on water parks so I had never heard of the place you'll be spending Day 5. Yay for being "go with the flow".

We always seem to end up at Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium at Uni. Fran likes the themeing and the food.

Wow! Page 3 was jam packed with information! We never get our value out of Uni/IOA because so many of those rides are beyond my ability. I do want to try Hagrids Coaster. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Forbidden Journey made me ill, so if I'm going to try it again, I'll do it locally here and see if my first ride was a fluke.

We ate at Bumblebee Tacos and they were good. We wanted to eat at the QS but they were closed because of filming and we didn't want to wait.

Thanks for the info on the shoes. I also need shoes with good arch supports. Most of my recent shoe purchases have been from SAS, but I'm always looking for other brands.

I bet if I had moved to Germany I would return from the US with an entire suitcase packed with my favorite US packaged food items!

OK, all caught up, just before your big trip to Europa Park. I heard through the grapevine that you have had some side effects from your first shot.

Sorry you weren't able to get Oga’s for your first day. Ours is not open here yet. While its not my favorite place, I really miss it since it's been closed.

All this vacation talk makes me want to go somewhere....

Page 2 down!

I didn't realize that WDW was allowing park hopping again. See? The things that you learn!

Doesn't CHH have some sort of chicken nuggets?

Loved the PP pic with you and your nuggets!

We are not big on water parks so I had never heard of the place you'll be spending Day 5. Yay for being "go with the flow".

We always seem to end up at Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium at Uni. Fran likes the themeing and the food.

Yes, hopping is now allowed - but only after 2 pm. It's kind of odd... but nothing is quite normal in the world!

Toothsome's is great, isn't it? I really enjoyed a meal I had there last trip, I think I got the flatbread - just delicious.

Wow! Page 3 was jam packed with information! We never get our value out of Uni/IOA because so many of those rides are beyond my ability. I do want to try Hagrids Coaster. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Forbidden Journey made me ill, so if I'm going to try it again, I'll do it locally here and see if my first ride was a fluke.

We ate at Bumblebee Tacos and they were good. We wanted to eat at the QS but they were closed because of filming and we didn't want to wait.

Thanks for the info on the shoes. I also need shoes with good arch supports. Most of my recent shoe purchases have been from SAS, but I'm always looking for other brands.

I bet if I had moved to Germany I would return from the US with an entire suitcase packed with my favorite US packaged food items!

I can totally see why Forbidden Journey made you ill! It's a rough one. Once they offered me a second "freebie" ride on that as my magical bench flew back in.... and I declined. No way could I do it twice in a row!

Great to hear about Bumblebee Tacos!

Glad to help in regards to the shoes. I am hoping this newer, more affordable brand, is just as good as my trusty Vionics.

And yes... :rotfl: our list of US foods & random items keeps growing and growing. Yesterday we added baseball equipment to the list for Henry! Sadly, that will take up a ton of room, but it will be so much easier to buy there than here.

OK, all caught up, just before your big trip to Europa Park. I heard through the grapevine that you have had some side effects from your first shot.

Sorry you weren't able to get Oga’s for your first day. Ours is not open here yet. While its not my favorite place, I really miss it since it's been closed.

All this vacation talk makes me want to go somewhere....

Yes, it's been a rough one! But, I'm SO glad I got it!! So grateful. Today I'm finally feeling pretty much back to normal - just in time to start frantically cleaning the house, packing, and running all the errands before Europa Park!! We picked up the rental car this morning.

Do you have any future travel plans?

Great photos, wonderful plans!

Thank you!!! The countdown is on!!

Small Update

Nothing too major to share, but today we are off to Europa Park and we are all really excited - not only about a "theme park fix", but also about spending time with friends and just TRAVELING! The corona situation here in Germany has gotten MUCH better over the last few weeks, it's shocking actually how fast our numbers of have dropped and life has slowly started to return to normal. Or at least some shade of normal.

While we are away this weekend, our dog is in a local kennel. We dropped him off yesterday evening and the gentleman who runs the business is SO kind! We felt really good about leaving him there. It's out in the country, so lots of places for our pup to run and explore. He's going to have a great vacation, too! Of course being a fur mom... I was still worried about him last night. :crazy2:. But, hopefully all goes well and this is where he will spend the three weeks we are in the USA as well.

I still haven't found Oga's, but I'll keep on the hunt! I've had great success with doing the "test runs" of trying to get a boarding group for Rise, only 1-2 times I haven't gotten one, so my confidence has grown for our trip!

I cannot recall if I posted it here or not, but our flight back to Germany changed AGAIN and now we are leaving Orlando even earlier. :sad2: Our last day is pretty much going to be, "wake up, pack, leave". i do not like it, but there aren't other options.

Also, I know I mentioned in comments, but Henry's cousin sadly cannot come along on our trip due to sports. I am SO glad we didn't mention it to Henry and get his hopes up. We were really disappointed that he couldn't come, but hopefully it will work out another time.

We have just over a month until we leave for Minnesota!!! The time will fly by!

And a few pictures, because.... why not? :)

i-g6xtKj3-X4.jpg

Getting nailed with one of the jumping fountains in Epcot - 2012 (and I still own those jean shorts....lol!)

i-msrVWvZ-X3.jpg

2006 - our honeymoon, first trip, and what started the addiction! We were chosen to be part of the AK parade

i-NG9LkVQ.jpg

2008 - Henry's first trip :love:

i-mh6Xnf9-X5.jpg

Up Next:
And Just Like That...

Last edited:
How was your trip??? Welcome back! Always so bittersweet....

Trip was good with some pixie dust sprinkled in. It was bittersweet to come back but now we're rushing to get DD ready to leave to go back for her DCP. She leaves in 3 days.

Sadly... the cousin cannot come. :sad1: I was SO bummed when my SIL told me. They have state competition that week, so they can't commit to something when he might be there. I am REALLY glad we didn't tell Henry! But man, I was already dreaming of them laughing together, running around and being silly together.... :sad: Hopefully another time!

I'm sorry. We had this happen to us before. It's always great when they can have a buddy.

Love the throw back photos! Little Henry is so precious.

Did you see Ohana is opening back up. Will it be open for your trip?

Trip was good with some pixie dust sprinkled in. It was bittersweet to come back but now we're rushing to get DD ready to leave to go back for her DCP. She leaves in 3 days.

I'm sorry. We had this happen to us before. It's always great when they can have a buddy.

I will be looking for your DD during our trip!! I am so glad they restarted the DCP, now hopefully they will bring back the international CMs soon too.

Love the throw back photos! Little Henry is so precious.

Did you see Ohana is opening back up. Will it be open for your trip?

Thank you! :love: And yes.... I did, and YES it will be!! Update coming....! :yay:

And Just Like That...

As @vamassey1 mentioned 'Ohana is re-opening! This is Henry's favorite restaurant in all of WDW and when I asked him if there were any "Must Do's" for our trip, he said "'Ohana." and when I told him it wasn't open he said, "Then I don't want to go to Disney." :rotfl:

2015...I can't believe this was 6 years ago! A Mom & Henry solo trip

He was kidding, of course... but that's how much he loves it! The changes over the years haven't bothered us much, as this child eats his weight in the chicken wings and we've never left disappointed. Though, it is an EXPENSIVE meal, we still find it worth it. (And #OhanaNoodleGate made me laugh so much! We would have been happy with the fried rice, but I DO like the noodles and I'm happy to see them back! Remember the potatoes before the noodles though?)

Living in Europe has it's advantages with ADRs since it's Noon here when it's 6 am on the East Coast. So, on the day they released the 'Ohana bookings I was wide-awake and @Flossbolna noticed they were already available at about 11:30 AM our time / 5:30 AM Eastern and she had snagged me one! :banana: (she had my login information) I logged in and snagged a second one, since we were still undecided on our plans at that point and I was frantic. I typically try not to double up on reservations like that! :scared::sad2:

THEN... a couple friends offered to help me hunt down Oga's Cantina... and they BOTH came through!! I had been searching regularly without any luck, and both of them had luck! The first reservation was for 8:25 PM, which is after the park closes, on our second DHS Day (Day 3 of the trip). Not totally ideal, but I was still thrilled. Then another friend found a 3 PM on our first DHS day! That is PERFECTION as it totally opens us up to Park Hop to Epcot!

2019 with Jet Fuel, that drink packs a punch! This trip I'll be going for something fruity instead!

To summarize:
Day 1 - Arrival, arrive, relax, swim & settle in
Day 2 - DHS, try for Rise, Oga's, hop if we feel like it
Day 3 - DHS, try for Rise, hop if we feel like it
Day 4 - AK, dinner at 'Ohana
Day 5 - MK
Day 6 - Volcano Bay
Day 7 - Universal / Islands, Mythos
Day 8 - Universal / Islands, date night at Toothsome's
Day 9 - ✈ 🇩🇪

Just like that, all our plans fell into place. :love:

And Henry has NO IDEA 'Ohana is re-opening. :)

I've also made a few more trip purchases (MORE shoes and cooling towels), and our "To Buy in the USA" list has grown to include things like a new baseball bat for Henry. I'm sure glad we get free luggage with Delta!

I also bought Magic Bands, they are being shipped to my MILs in Minnesota. Before we moved to Germany I tossed almost all our old Magic Bands, except some special ones. Stupid, stupid. Even though I knew Magic Bands would no longer be free. :sad2: This trip, I decided that I was going to be cheap and just deal with the KTTW card, as I truly don't mind using it and the Band actually bothers me a bit since I wear a watch already.

But then I caved and purchased Magic Bands. I was just going to buy one for Henry and Joe, as the few special ones I have are mine and not their taste... but the system made me buy three. Okay, whatever - we'll use them for future trips, not a problem.

Purchase made. I tell @Flossbolna of my purchase, and she reminds me of the fairly new Disney Magic Mobile Pass where you can just use your Apple Watch or phone at no cost.

DOH.

I know many people still prefer Magic Bands, but we have never really been fans of them.

We ended up with two plain black ones and a cute Mickey one that Henry selected:

When looking at our Bands and Cards in MDE to snag this pic... I noticed that we had purchased Henry a cool Star Wars one during a previous trip, I have NO idea where it is though.... oh well.

I HATE it when I waste money like that, but I guess the Band will be good for Henry who often leaves his phone in the hotel room versus carrying it around. And they are nice to open the hotel room door and for charging. And, at least I bought cheap ones, so it doesn't make this mistake too costly of one!! :rotfl:

We had a WONDERFUL mini-vacation at Europa Park, so many fun stories to share there - coming soon!

That's not Epcot!

The weeks here are flying by, just a few more and we'll be back in the USA and Mom-Hugs and Magic will become a reality! I seriously cannot wait to hug my Momma!

And some throwback pics because that's what we do around these parts....

2015 at Typhoon Lagoon

i-FqSLLbr-X3.jpg

2018 - California Adventure

i-qHjXgNc-X2.jpg

In 2018 where I stood in line for 1.5 hours to meet the Dwarfs! One and done for this gal. :rotfl:

Up Next: Just scroll down! :)

Last edited:
Our Magic Bands arrived at my MILs the other day!!

I also noticed park hours at WDW extended a bit!! I am thrilled because we are not morning park people, and I have ZERO intention of being at Rope Drop on this trip. :upsidedow

It’s a shame you are doing WDW at the end of your trip because the side effect of jet lag is that you don’t have any issues getting out of bed in the morning for rope drop. Staying awake for fireworks on the other hand…

And don’t follow our example when we forgot to change the time for our phone and set an alarm for 7 am - German time. We got all ready to head to the park and we’re surprised how dark it still was at 7:45 am when we wanted to take a bus to the MK. It was 1:45 am in Florida…

It’s a shame you are doing WDW at the end of your trip because the side effect of jet lag is that you don’t have any issues getting out of bed in the morning for rope drop. Staying awake for fireworks on the other hand…

And don’t follow our example when we forgot to change the time for our phone and set an alarm for 7 am - German time. We got all ready to head to the park and we’re surprised how dark it still was at 7:45 am when we wanted to take a bus to the MK. It was 1:45 am in Florida…

:rotfl: Oh gosh, I can TOTALLY see this happening!!!

I'm 100% okay with missing Rope Drop. We'll be the folks rolling in around 10 / 10:30 AM this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter