Mom-Hugs and Magic: Planning our Summer 2021 Vacation - Updated - Completed, TR Started! 9/14

I got the dreaded "Flight Schedule Changes" email today... and one change is good, and one is not good.

I'll be spending some time later today chatting with Joe and seeing if we want to deal with the changes, or check if Delta has anything different that we can change to. The main issue is that we want an actual Delta flight, not a partner airline, over the ocean... and those can be pretty limited.

Not going to get worked up over it now, it's 8:52 am and I need to make my second cup of coffee and face the day. I'll deal with this later! And must repeat to myself, I'm just happy to be going!!!

Hi Brooke!
I finally made it! Super excited for your trip!popcorn:: :banana::cheer2:Loved all your TR in the past! Henry has gotten so BIG!

We'll be there Sept. 12th - 20th followed with a cruise on the Dream! :boat:We were suppose to do this last year for DH and mine 30th anniversary! But postponed due to Covid. We are now taking our son and his girlfriend! They are so excited to go!:earsgirl::earsboy:

That is GREAT news about the coffee, but very disappointing about Rivers of Light. I hope they bring back something eventually! It was so short lived. :(
We really enjoyed the original Rivers of Light so we hope they come up with something to replace it.

Here! Took me a few tries but I logged in!! 😅 Will go back and catch up. So excited for this!!!

:welcome: glad you made it!!! When I logged in for the first time a couple months ago it took me a while too! I get it! :rotfl2:

Hi Brooke!
I finally made it! Super excited for your trip!popcorn:: :banana::cheer2:Loved all your TR in the past! Henry has gotten so BIG!

We'll be there Sept. 12th - 20th followed with a cruise on the Dream! :boat:We were suppose to do this last year for DH and mine 30th anniversary! But postponed due to Covid. We are now taking our son and his girlfriend! They are so excited to go!:earsgirl::earsboy:

YAY! Glad you are here!! And yes, it's crazy to see how much Henry has grown - as I go through the pictures, seeing him literally grow up going to WDW! It's so fun.

Your trip will be AMAZING!!! Land / Sea are the best kinds of trips!

We really enjoyed the original Rivers of Light so we hope they come up with something to replace it.

Yes! I hope so...! Surely they won't just go without a show at all after all that time and money were poured into it! :(

That is GREAT news about the coffee, but very disappointing about Rivers of Light. I hope they bring back something eventually! It was so short lived. :(

:welcome: It's been so fun to look through old pictures and share some of those memories! Many of our trips have sorta blurred together, but looking through the pictures and videos take me on a virtual vacation! 😂 When will you be headed back?
December! Booked the room and ordered our tickets (we are retired military & get a better rate going that way!) So excited!

Oh my goodness! I remember reading your TRs from your honeymoon and when Henry was just a little one! Last I read anything from you you were in Brooklyn! Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures.

Yay! I'm so excited to see you're doing another trip report. I used to love your reports and reading your blog about moving and living in NYC. Looking forward to reading all about your plans and your trip.

So... I found out I have some LURKERS. Come out and play lurkers! Figure out that password reset! :rotfl2: You know who you are!!! 😉

Park Plans, the Method Behind the Madness
Park Day Four

And our last day at WDW… saving the crown of the MK for last! Though, chance are very good we will have hopped here at some point during the trip already.

I am really looking forward to walking down Main Street USA.

i-GnBtPjj-XL.jpg

Yes, one time I laid down in the street. I’m a major germ-a-phobe, so this was some serious dedication to the pic! We were the last people out of the MK, I HAD TO!

One of my favorite things is the Trolley Show, but just the full ambiance of it all… feels like HOME! Clang-clang!

i-9bgZLHG-X2.jpg

i-xFB5DKd-X3.jpg

Not sure we’ll do the carriages, or if they are even running, but this is a fun shot, so I wanted to include it!

i-VdKNZdM-X2.jpg

i-TGpzmWd.jpg

Hello beautiful.

There will be tears.
I am sure of it.
Tears of sheer happiness and tears of sorrow from over this last 1.5 years... it's been surreal how upside down my life has been since November 2019.

And most of all, tears of gratitude.
Thankful for life!

Park Day Four Attractions:

THE PEOPLEMOVER! This is my favorite, favorite, favorite ride! I’m so happy it’s open again! And I’ll be spying that Tron construction real hard. My SIL lives in Shanghai, she’s not a big “Disney person” but has been to Disneyland there! Her pics of Tron look so awesome. I also have a few friends that have been. I am very, very, very much looking forward to that coaster.

i-SFgbRLq-X3.jpg

The Carrousel of Progress

Triple Mountain Whammy: BTMRR, Splash, Space

i-zrVHmj8-X2.jpg

i-P5G4jZG-X3.jpg

Henry most definitely doesn’t hide anymore on this ride!

i-83g4kHG-X3.jpg

i-x2VrPxc-X3.jpg

Back when you could see Space Mountain from the Peoplemover, once we caught it with the lights on!

Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin

i-M9CNVr9-X4.jpg

i-NpFf58d-X4.jpg

Pirates of the Caribbean

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

I can very much see us doing the Tomorrowland Speedway… I hate that line. It’s always in the blasted sunshine and moves at a snail's pace, but it’s still a favorite for Henry. And I will indulge him. Plus, I again get to spy the Tron construction!

As we walk around, we will remember the time Henry called The Magic Carpets of Aladdin the “Flying Blankies”. And if we ride, he’ll try to make sure I get spit on by the camel! He's usually quite successful with that attempt.
i-MSBvm9w-X4.jpg

Is the Dole Whip stand an attraction? Might be.

Joe mentioned riding the Liberty Bell. He’s never ridden it!

i-vL5Wctf-X2.jpg

We also all really like the Jungle Cruise, and it will be interesting to see the changes. (This ride also reminds me greatly of my friend from Canada who passed away last year… tears might be shed. It was one of her favorite rides)

i-9RfZgpm.jpg

You might have noticed we kinda skipped a good chunk of Fantasyland… those are all definitely “if we have time” type of rides. We used to spend HOURS in this land when Henry was smaller, but now just stroll through. We might hit up a ride or two, we’ll see.

i-qpwKqh9-X4.jpg

i-8STJSBV-X4.jpg

We really like the Astro Orbiter and haven’t ridden in many years, so that might make the cut, but is definitely not a must do.

i-8KdVD87-X4.jpg

Park Day Four Eats:

This park is the worst when it comes to food, IMO. It used to be DHS, now MK takes the cake.

For whatever reason, in this park we almost always stop at the Main Street Bakery. Which I liked so much more before it was Starbucks. But… I do like the decent coffee. I don’t miss the days of the Nescafe contract. That was just swill. So wrong. So, so so wrong.

Moving on… if you know me, Casey’s is one of my “must do’s” in the MK, those Corn Dog Nuggets are like a siren call.

(Ya'll knew the Nuggets would make an appearance, didn't you?!)

i-S4fjrFz-X4.jpg

i-2QpVDHz-X2.jpg

i-7bnqGf8.jpg

I once did a PhotoPass with my and my Nuggets.

BUT....
IT’S CLOSED.
I will be stalking it to see if it opens. I totally understand why it’s closed. Close quarters in there. Covid likes close quarters. So, I very much prefer Disney to be cautious, of course! Keep those CMs safe!

So, what is a girl to do when her precious Golden Nuggets of Joy are unavailable?

Visit Sleepy Hollow for the hand dipped corn dog. I once did a taste test between Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets and the Sleepy Hollow Hand Dipped Corn Dog... but I cannot find the pics!

The Sleepy Hollow dog is good. Not gonna lie. It’s not QUITE the same, and doesn’t hold the tradition Casey’s does for me… but it’ll do. The boys won’t mind the waffle sandwiches either.

The previously mentioned Dole Whip will be enjoyed by Joe and Henry. Joe might get wild and try the orange, but chances are he'll stick with the classic. I like Dole Whips, but they aren't a must for me. I did really enjoy the Kakamora Float.

Is this loading sideways for you? I cannot get it to be vertical! :badpc:

I will very likely stand in line at the spring roll cart if they are doing the Cheeseburger or Pepperoni Pizza rolls. I had the Cheeseburger ones a couple years ago at the MNSSHP Dessert Party and about ate my weight in them! Maybe I'll wait here while the boys Mobile Order Dole Whips.

And 100% I will be having a Mickey Bar! I most often get them at the MK for some reason, but I’ll get one whenever the fancy strikes.

i-WvZGrg3-X4.jpg

I am not a fan of Pecos Bills or Cosmic Rays… they are both just too busy and frantic feeling for me. I actually have a touch of claustrophobia and large crowds can get to me with that enclosed / trapped feeling. (Says the girl who did Galaxy’s Edge opening… Ha! Really, while it was BUSY, everyone kept their space, and I was mentally prepared for the worst.)

So, if we eat another meal in the park, might be at Pinocchio's, or perhaps we’ll wander back to the Grand Floridian on the new walking path. Wingin’ it!

Any snacks that I’m missing?

And before we switch gears into Universal, I will also add a couple Outside the Parks Must Do’s, aside from riding the Skyliner and exploring Riviera Resort.

I most definitely want to see the Electrical Water Pageant. We have a Lagoon View villa at the Grand, so hopefully we can enjoy this right from our balcony!

i-wQnjZCC-X4.jpg

Enjoy the pools at the Grand Floridian

If we make it to Disney Springs, we will try to get Gideon's cookies, but this is a big IF we make it. Not going to skip park time for Disney Springs.

Resort hop - because that's what we do! While exploring Riviera, we'll likely mosey over to CBR since Joe has NEVER seen this gorgeous resort! And we'll see what other resorts we end up exploring. Chances are we'll at least do the monorail resort exploration loop.

i-cccVQw4-X2.jpg

I would also like to take the boat from the GF at least once. I am not sure I have ever boated to / from the GF. I don't even care where we go, or if we just ride for fun!

Up Next:
Park Day Five - It's Time for Universal!!!

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I remember reading your TRs from your honeymoon and when Henry was just a little one! Last I read anything from you you were in Brooklyn! Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures.

:wave2: Hello, hello!!! Time has flown, hasn't it?

We just moved to Germany in November... moving overseas during a pandemic is interesting. LOL!

Hey Brook! Following along.

Why, hello there!!! :goodvibes

Yay! I'm so excited to see you're doing another trip report. I used to love your reports and reading your blog about moving and living in NYC. Looking forward to reading all about your plans and your trip.

:welcome: It's good to be back! I really should update that blog... A few things have changed. Ha! I did a couple updates as we were moving to Germany here, writing really helps me organize my thoughts. But, I tend to end up being lazy and just using Instagram Stories and Facebook.... :rotfl:

Tomorrowland Speedway… I hate that line
Now that Fast Pass is not being used. Might I suggest checking out AllEars on YouTube? They have tons of videos out there on navigating the parks, advice, tips, tricks, history etc... I LOVE all of Molly's videos! She fantastic and so funny! They recently have out there ultimate challenge videos, where they have a basically a bingo board and they go head to head with others from AllEars. They are at the parks everyday and really have the most up to date info! Check them out!

Now that Fast Pass is not being used. Might I suggest checking out AllEars on YouTube? They have tons of videos out there on navigating the parks, advice, tips, tricks, history etc... I LOVE all of Molly's videos! She fantastic and so funny! They recently have out there ultimate challenge videos, where they have a basically a bingo board and they go head to head with others from AllEars. They are at the parks everyday and really have the most up to date info! Check them out!

I might do that! Thanks for the tip!

Wait you have a BLOG! Ummm.. I would love to read this if you update!

:rotfl: It's so outdated... I never keep up on it! One post every three years! I always meant for it to be a good source of our trips, what is going on in our daily lives, etc for family that lives all over the globe. Ah... maybe someday I'll do it! lol

I am really looking forward to walking down Main Street USA.

Me tooo! MK is my favorite park.

Yes, one time I laid down in the street. I’m a major germ-a-phobe, so this was some serious dedication to the pic! We were the last people out of the MK, I HAD TO!

Maybe try the castle hub fake grass instead. We did this in October. So nice.

One of my favorite things is the Trolley Show, but just the full ambiance of it all… feels like HOME! Clang-clang!

Love the Trolley Show too. I'm hoping it comes back soon.

Joe mentioned riding the Liberty Bell. He’s never ridden it!

DH has never done it either. I did it for the first time 1/2020.

You might have noticed we kinda skipped a good chunk of Fantasyland… those are all definitely “if we have time” type of rides. We used to spend HOURS in this land when Henry was smaller, but now just stroll through. We might hit up a ride or two, we’ll see.

You have lots of great choices of rides. I know you're skipping Fantasyland but I do suggest Peter Pan. It's my Fav.

So, what is a girl to do when her precious Golden Nuggets of Joy are unavailable?

You can get them as a side at Pecos Bills. We're headed to DW on Saturday and will be in MK on Cinco de Mayo and naturally plan on eating there and getting a side of nuggies.

will very likely stand in line at the spring roll cart if they are doing the Cheeseburger or Pepperoni Pizza rolls.

I want to try these too.

Any snacks that I’m missing?

Cheshire Cat Tail or cream cheese Mickey pretzel.

If we make it to Disney Springs, we will try to get Gideon's cookies, but this is a big IF we make it. Not going to skip park time for Disney Springs.

This is on my list for Saturday.

Maybe try the castle hub fake grass instead. We did this in October. So nice.

I once napped in the hub grass! :rotfl: We are big fans of the hub grass too. But for that pic, I had to be right in the middle of Main Street! :)

You have lots of great choices of rides. I know you're skipping Fantasyland but I do suggest Peter Pan. It's my Fav.

We will ride Pan if the line is short enough... I've never actually seen the queue since they re-did it. We haven't ridden it in YEARS since I never want to use a FP on it either.

We have ridden in Disneyland though. It's such a charming ride, isn't it? Very classic Disney.

You can get them as a side at Pecos Bills. We're headed to DW on Saturday and will be in MK on Cinco de Mayo and naturally plan on eating there and getting a side of nuggies.

Nuggets at Pecos Bills?! That is so strange. I guess they gotta do what they gotta do right now. It might be worth braving Pecos Bills for. Or if I spy that it's actually empty in there...

Cheshire Cat Tail or cream cheese Mickey pretzel.

Neither are my thing.... :scared: LOL I know people go crazy over the Cheshire Cat Tail... but it's just too much for me! I do think Henry would like it though, and I think it's one he hasn't tried yet! Might have to add it to the list!

Have fun at WDW!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: I'm sure you in are in all those last-minute to do's!!

The Method Behind the Madness
Park Day Five

The day has come to move to Universal Orlando! :yay::yay::yay:

I am hoping to wake up bright & early and finish any last minute things around the villa and have our bags packed and ready to roll.

We will use a private transfer (which reminds me, now that we have flights, I need to contact him again!) and check-into our resort, Portofino Bay!!

i-ZbPX2mx-X2.jpg

i-ShH4JLq-X2.jpg

I am hoping our room is ready, but if it’s not we will leave our bags at Bell Services and get on with our day.

Today we will take the bus to Volcano Bay, and hopefully we are organized and arrive early enough to take advantage of the Early Park Admission.

i-ztvPjDS-X4.jpg

i-FkNhzDv-X5.jpg

i-7CwMPjZ-X4.jpg

Ahhh, I LOVE Volcano Bay!!

Tickets printed and Tapu Tapu wristbands acquired, we will rent a locker, then find some loungers for our towels and beeline for the Krakatau Aqua Coaster!

i-Dn2fccw-X4.jpg

We should be able to get in a few rides on this during EPA before the line builds.

Other Must Do Volcano Bay Attractions:
Ohyah and Ohno - I missed this one last time, I was back at the lounge chair giving my feet a rest when the boys rode. They came back raving about it, so I have to be brave and try it! I will be going for Ohyah, the smaller drop. I am not sure I'm brave enough for Ohno! The purple slide in the pic below is Ohno... the drop just freaks me out too much!

i-NNRqW3b-X4.jpg

TeAwa the Fearless River - we all LOVE this action river and could spend hours zipping around it! If you haven't been before, it's like a lazy river... but really not at all. :rotfl2: You don a life vest and float around without a tube - the current of the water moves you around, sometimes quite fast! I believe they have a similar attraction at Aquatica (which I have never been to!). It is SO much fun. We all laughed and laughed our way around this river last trip and have been talking about it since. We'll be spending a lot of time here!

And, we have to go have a conversation with the Volcano, of course! I think this is such a neat element and totally took me by surprise on my first visit to Volcano Bay.
i-BNxP4VV-X4.jpg

We'll get to much more than this, but these are the must do's! The boys I'm sure will do the crazy drop slides where the floor opens from underneath you. NoThankYou.

Volcano Bay Eats:
The food here is really good, last time we ate at Kohola Reef Restaurant...and I can totally see us going back to this same QS! It's a nice variety of options on the menu and everything we like.

But, overall... we are wingin' it! Nothing is a "must" for food here.

All my food pics from last trip are actually videos (I do a lot of Instagram), so nothing to share... but just imagine sandwiches. A jerk mahi mahi, a pulled pork and a burger... there you have it! :teeth:

Eventually, we’ll be tired and waterlogged and head back to the hotel. For the evening we are wingin’ it - we might jump into one of the theme parks, we might walk through City Walk, we might try for a Walk-Up somewhere for dinner, we might just stay in our hotel room and watch TV! We’ll see how we feel after our day at Volcano Bay.

I am SO SO SO excited for our day here!

Up Next:
Islands of Adventure

Last edited:
That Ohno reminds me of a slide they had at River Country. My husband foolishly went on with his glasses, and our son had to dive to the bottom to retrieve them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter