Missing the ship from excursions

In 2008 we did an EBPC and the Magic waited in Acapulco for 45 minutes for one of the DCL excursions to finally return (bus flat tire). They nearly laid rubber trying to get to their place in the queue for the canal. There might be a time limit for waiting, but $$ is a big issue (was told it cost DCL $450,000 to travel the canal one way east that year...yikes!).

I think anyone reading this thread is likely to miss the ship.

We regularly book excursions with other operarors or tour on our own at dozens of different DCL cruise stops and have never come close to missing the ship.

If you research and find a reputable excursion there shouldn’t be much issue making it back on time. These companies rely on good reviews and missing the ship would ruin their business. Just keep an eye on the clock to make sure you give yourself ample time to get back to the ship. I personally prefer cruise excursions for peace of mind knowing the ship will wait

If you are worried about missing the ship, I would buy trip insurance. They will compensate you for your travel expenses getting to the next port and rejoining the cruise or to the next destination of your vacation (back home or wherever)

We always book excursions with Disney. On our last cruise my waterproof watch stopped working. I had just put a new battery in it and had it several years with no problems. My dh never takes a watch, we also don't take our phones. I'm glad we were on a DCL excursion so not knowing the time didn't matter. We just packed up when we saw those around us doing so. If we ever go out on our own I will probably bring 2 or 3 watches plus a phone. I don't think you will have a problem since you are already making sure you won't be late, it's those who don't think about it who are more likely to miss the boat. (I have family who would totally miss it) Have fun!

Last year on our British Isles cruise we were on DCL excursion from Greenock to Edinburgh.The traffic was bad and a lot of tours were late getting back.The cruise staff actually called our bus to check where we were. They had to wait for a lot of DCL tours but I think some non DCL tour people were actually worried because they got back late.

On our Alaskan cruise we watched people running to try and get to the ship in time. Once the ship doors were closed they would not reopen them. We watched the people arguing with the dock personnel as we sailed away. And some regular cruisers at our table say watching people miss the ship is one of their favorite activities. So yes, they will leave you. The cruise lines face big fines if they leave the port late, from what I’m told.
What port was it? The only port I am nervous about having booked alone is Skagway because our rental jeep could theoretically break down or have a flat tire or something. But now I'm wondering if I should buffer in more time to the other ports too.

we always do a book tours from the ship

a few years ago we were on RCL and were one of the last 25 people to scan back on the ship

they kept counting to make sure the number of people in line matched the number needed to scan

another time we were on DCL and waiting to leave when I heard a slight bump under our window

I looked out and saw the pilot boat with someone on it

I needed to go the laundry to iron DH shirt which was on the other side of the ship

when I went around to the other side I saw security talking to a guy who didn't look very happy as it was his wife on the pilot boat

just like on I love lucy when she missed the boat going to Europe

My understanding was that DCL would delay the departure as long as they can, but sometimes they just need to leave. If it was a DCL booked excursion then DLC's port agent would work with you to get you to the next port, if you did a non-DCL excursion you are on your own.

We are heading out on the Fantasy this Saturday with a tour planned for Jamaica booked outside of DCL. Still a little worried- only because it’s Jamaica and we’ll be over an hour of travel from the ship. We read a lot about people being afraid to book outside of DCL for fear of something happening and missing the ship, but I’ve never heard of anyone who actually did miss it. So I’m wondering- has anyone here or anyone you know ever missed the ship from an excursion? And I’m not talking about people who miss or almost miss because of losing track of time or forgetting all aboard time. I’m thinking of people who missed because of circumstances beyond their control.
If you search on YouTube you will find plenty of funny videos of people chasing their ship running down the pier waving their arms. It definitely happens.

Out of 100+ excursions we've only gone with the cruise line maybe 5 times. We've never missed a ship. :-) And neither have hundreds of thousands of other passengers who go on their own. Yes, something unexpected CAN happen. But these companies know that their livelihood and reputation depends on getting you back to your ship on time. I think most people overreact and worry too much about missing the ship but that's just my opinion.

Since you will be doing a private tour in Jamaica, you should consider bringing your passports with you just in case you miss the boat and have to fly to the next port or home. Based on PP here, it sounds like you should be fine as long as you book with a reputable firm. However if there is an accident on a major road or a breakdown that delays your return and the boat leaves without out you, it will be easier and much less stressful with your passport in hand.

I can't speak to Jamaica, but I've done many, many non-cruise (DCL, MSC, Oceania) excursions and was never even close to missing the ship. I don't think it happens often, in the world of TripAdvisor, etc, as too many "they made me miss the ship" reviews would doom a company. I think you increase your chances of getting back to the ship on time if you 1.) choose a company that has a good reputation - do your research ahead of time,2.) plan on getting back 90 minutes before last call (hard to ensure on a larger group tour, admittedly. We do private tours as we travel as a large family group, so we can say when we want to be back), 3.) be a good tour participant - don't wander off and make the group late, and 4.) be realistic by what is possible in any given port.

That's not exactly what you were asking, but I really don't see many people posting about how a tour company made them miss the boat. I'm pretty sure the folks that miss on their own fault aren't going to post anyways. If you want a larger sample size, ask over on Cruisecritic. Or if you want more BTDT on if your particular excursion is likely to run late. LOTS of cruisers over there.

This!! Do your research and you'll be find. Most reputable companies will have a clause in there as well that says if you miss the ship they will pay for you to get to the next port of call. Behooves them to get you back on time. I too prefer private excursions, less waiting around, and more intimate experiences.

I can only speak from personal experience. We've done many private tours as well as tours booked through the cruise line. We actually did a private excursion in Jamaica (booked private cars to take us back and forth to a "resort for a day" experience). I just always make sure we are scheduled to be back to the ship about 2 1/2 to 3 hours before all aboard. I've been on 11 cruises and have never had an issue.

I think if you don't plan to cut it close you're fine. I would not book something that got me back a half hour or less before all aboard. I did a private snorkel thing in Nassau and was back hours before we had to be, it was not remotely stressful.

Do you know where they are listing the port agent contact info, now that they don't automatically bring paper Navigators to your room anymore?
Great question and one I don't think I've seen an answer to. I'd be sure to pop by guest services.

Since Jamacia is typically the last port before Castaway Cay and then Port Canaveral, might as well have an all inclusive to spend a few days at before flying onward. :)

We are heading out on the Fantasy this Saturday with a tour planned for Jamaica booked outside of DCL.

What is said about the tour company on the ports of call section of cruisecritic? How about on TripAdvisor? I don’t normally trust TA, but if something even remotely negative happened with the tour company that’s where people go to tell others.

When using a non cruiseline tour, I start with cc. There are enough users there for a good sample.
Someone mentioned construction on the main road in Jamaica. Does your tour go along there? Email the tour company and ask if it impacts you, and what their plan is.

The reason they missed the ship makes a difference to me because I’m not going to lose track of time, so those occurrences don’t matter to me.

Ah, do you think that anyone plans to lose track of time?

And people are talking about the cruise line not caring about the reason because you are differentiating the reason. And people are, IMO, saying that bad things happen, watches break and phones die, or amazing fun days happen, and responsible people sometimes behave irresponsibly by accident, but it doesn’t matter to the cruiseline.

So my bottom line is *how trustworthy is the tour company*?

Alternately, in Puerto Rico one year, we saw a family of 4 ALMOST get left behind after they were delayed getting back to the ship. Their luggage was packed on the pier and waiting for them and the officers had lifted all but one gangway in preparation for us to leave. About 20 minutes after the last time they called on the public system for these guests...who do we see running for the ship but this family of 4.

Hmm. They weren’t yet late but the employees had already packed bags? Sounds a bit like a medical emergency had happened and the family had been in contact and weren’t sure they’d make it back. Packing bags up isn’t a normal thing they do, from the years I’ve been reading about this.

On our last cruise on the Fantasy I heard from a CM that we left people behind at two different ports. He said it happens more often than you know. We were also late leaving from those ports. In addition, we nearly left an entire family behind in Cozumel. I was watching form Deck 4 as they came down the dock in one of those big tricycle things at the very last minute.

Looking at all of these posts, I'm not sure anyone has answered the OP question about what actually happens if you miss the boat or if anyone had actual "missed the boat" experiences. While all of this is great advice about how to not miss your return time, does anyone have a story of them actually missing the boat and what happened?

Looking at all of these posts, I'm not sure anyone has answered the OP question about what actually happens if you miss the boat or if anyone had actual "missed the boat" experiences. While all of this is great advice about how to not miss your return time, does anyone have a story of them actually missing the boat and what happened?

starvenger posted a link to someone's experience, back on the first page, post #19; it's a pretty detailed report. Others have posted seeing people "running the pier" while the ship sails away. I'm guessing nobody on DIS has been late -- or not willing to 'fess up :upsidedow

There was a post a year or so ago about an Alaska excursion that got delayed overnight due to fog. It may have been DCL or another cruise line, or a mix of both. People on cruise-sponsored excursions were helped to the next port; people on the same excursion but booked privately were on their own to catch up to the ship. I'll see if I can find the story.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter