Metal Tray "Environmentally Friendly Initiative" @ All-Star Music And All-Star Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the environment and want to protect it BUT I also want to eat off a plate- paper or real. Will they slop your oatmeal onto a wedge of wax paper too? I personally do not like to eat off a tray. I always remove my food off the tray and eat in whatever container it was in. We brought Panera home the other night and my sandwich was in a paper container. It is recyclable. I am taking a stand and saying NO to a tray!
I hope someone is keeping an eye out at the other food locations for metal trays. Keep us informed.

I admit, I do like to the print on the bags for purchase and will buy one for each park. But once I get one or two of each design, I don't think I will want to continue to purchase these bags.

It doesn't bother me for things like burgers, sandwiches, pizza, etc. But for anything you need to use utensils with it seems like a bad idea, since you'll probably end up tearing/poking holes in/cutting through the paper.

I love the environment and want to protect it BUT I also want to eat off a plate- paper or real. Will they slop your oatmeal onto a wedge of wax paper too? I personally do not like to eat off a tray. I always remove my food off the tray and eat in whatever container it was in. We brought Panera home the other night and my sandwich was in a paper container. It is recyclable. I am taking a stand and saying NO to a tray!

Paper that has been contaminated by food can often not be recycled. Composted, possibly.

It has been mentioned by merchandise CMs that plastic bags will still be available on request in the Parks, and of course, they'll still use the bags to ship to resorts. Whether or not, however, they'll eliminate the bags later on down the line is a moot point, but I seriously doubt they'd phase them out anytime soon, but then it does lead to the question of how purchases will be shipped, not to mention practicality, especially since not everyone is willing to lug around a heap of reusable bags all day, because it's difficult to anticipate what you're going to buy, and the largest reusable bag they're selling in the Parks doesn't always fold nicely into some bags/backpacks/totes/handbags. That said, it does make me wonder if they'll explore using plant-based bioplastic bags to replace the plastic ones, because again, there's going to be people that find carrying around empty reusables to be rather impractical and challenging.

The term 'environmentally-friendly' is often thrown around too much, and yields dubious practices that appear to look good to the greenies, yet is tantamount to greenwashing. 90% of the time, they're not often backed up with an ecolabel and/or other certification such as ISO 14000, and often smells of bottom-lining. With their solar farm often praised, Disney could easily use that to power their dishwashers and also use soap that's also truly environmentally-friendly, backed up with proof, of course.
Not to mention that if you are still in the parks, riding rides, etc., the plastic bags are waterproof for whatever is inside. Reusable, it so much.

It doesn't bother me for things like burgers, sandwiches, pizza, etc. But for anything you need to use utensils with it seems like a bad idea, since you'll probably end up tearing/poking holes in/cutting through the paper.

Paper that has been contaminated by food can often not be recycled. Composted, possibly.

Here in Suffolk County, NY there was a huge issue with moldy recyclables being sent to China....imagine! Mold growing on garbage!

But I digress........

We now do not include any glass in our recycle pails....you are, however, encouraged to gather your glass and drive it to the landfill and wait on lines in ordr to dispose of it. Or, as almost everyone else now does, throw it in the garbage can and away it goes.

More to the above point, we can now only recycle clean paper and cardboard. the example they use is "no greasy pizza boxes" which sounds a little xenophobic since there is no mention of Chinese take-out containers or taco wrappers. IDK, I guess I'm just too darned compassionate for my fellow man....

Anyhow, the point is that dirty garbage is often not recyclable. Please, only clean garbage.

Here in Suffolk County, NY there was a huge issue with moldy recyclables being sent to China....imagine! Mold growing on garbage!

But I digress........

We now do not include any glass in our recycle pails....you are, however, encouraged to gather your glass and drive it to the landfill and wait on lines in ordr to dispose of it. Or, as almost everyone else now does, throw it in the garbage can and away it goes.

More to the above point, we can now only recycle clean paper and cardboard. the example they use is "no greasy pizza boxes" which sounds a little xenophobic since there is no mention of Chinese take-out containers or taco wrappers. IDK, I guess I'm just too darned compassionate for my fellow man....

Anyhow, the point is that dirty garbage is often not recyclable. Please, only clean garbage.
Doesn't NY state have a container deposit system where you can bring back bottles and cans and you'd get a nickel back? Because when I was in NYC last year and the year before, I saw homeless people foraging in rubbish bins for cans and bottles so that they could get money from them.

Just when we are all set to book a trip, I am given pause. This will never fly as a 'high end resort' vacation with my Non-Disney spouse. I know that American's aren't known as the fanciest of eaters...but why not just introduce feed troughs that everyone can dine from and be done with it. I can see the advertising now, 'If it's good enough for the food your food eats, it's good enough for you.'

Feeling rather disgusted by this actually. Ugh.

Just when we are all set to book a trip, I am given pause. This will never fly as a 'high end resort' vacation with my Non-Disney spouse. I know that American's aren't known as the fanciest of eaters...but why not just introduce feed troughs that everyone can dine from and be done with it. I can see the advertising now, 'If it's good enough for the food your food eats, it's good enough for you.'

:rotfl2:

It's only at All Stars at at this point, no? I think it's in the food court type restaurants.

There's literally not been a SINGLE firsthand picture of this posted in the thread, and people are just falling all over themselves. The OP even said something like mac and cheese went in a bowl, not "slopped" down on the tray itself.

This thread is unintentional comedy gold.

Unless it's to the extent that they have exactly the same amount as Ariel's dinglehopper. That would be more in-fitting with Disney, especially at AoA.
*breaks a tine off a fork and bends the handle backwards, rendering the fork useless, hands it to a guest*
"What's this?"
"it's a dinglehopper! *said with emphasis*
*Disney charges you $7 for the Child's Premium Fork Upcharge*

You don't need to purchase more, you reUSE them. ;)
I know that, but I don't see me toting the bags back to Disney every time we go. So most likely I would just really utilize the purchase back to the resort feature more, until they cut that out.

They do this at 4 Rivers BBQ in Florida. Its odd.
Yes! We have 4 Rivers BBQ here in Atlanta, and this is exactly how they serve their food.

I've eaten out of these trays multiple times. They are washed between guests. It works fine for ribs and sandwiches and burgers and okra and green beans and fries. Not sure how well it works for saucier things.

About how this is more environmentally-friendly...

I suspect that the culprit is NOT the real ceramic plates, which we all know are environmentally-friendly, but the disposable dishes and even worse, the MELAMINE trays, which are really, really, really awful for the environment. Metal is recycled and re-used. Melamine, nope.

The problem with just going with a plate is that guests are going to ask for the trays. It would help over the paper plates, but then what about the trays?

From a cost perspective, there is less work in only having to wash a small tray, rather than a tray and plates. Plates break too and these metal trays are very sturdy. I suspect that Disney is looking at the bottom line and not just the environmentally-friendly aspect.

Of all the things Disney has done to piss me off as a consumer in the last few years (don't get me started), this one is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter