Metal Tray "Environmentally Friendly Initiative" @ All-Star Music And All-Star Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree plates would be better, but it wouldn't bother me. I was surprised that while at CBR when we did mobile order it always came in to go packaging with to go silverware. I think there should be an option when you place your order for eat in or take out. It was quite wasteful. I'm not a huge environmentally friendly person, but I also don't believe in wasting when you shouldn't.

giphy.gif

While it isn't the end of the world, it does feel a little cheap to me. I prefer to eat off of a plate, not a piece of wax paper. Being served food on wax paper makes me feel belittled, like "Here you go peasant, be grateful for your $17 burger and fries on a piece of paper". Why don't we deserve plates?

You know the DIS used to be a nice place. Did you get tired of the other board and come here to jump people instead. My child has done dumb things and still probably do dumb things. I put that out there.

Apparently sending your purchases to your resort will soon be the only way to get a bag!

Good to know! I don't mind, will just bring old Disney store bags, but like knowing ahead of time rather than being surprised with the info.

I assumed on our visit last month that they would have done away with bags so brought my own. Totally forgot that we always have purchases sent back to the resort so I didn't need them. I think I'll probably still bring a couple of reusable bags next month just in case we're shopping on our last day and can't send back to the resort. It's just a matter of remembering to take it with me when I leave the room!

I don't like being treated like I'm stupid....

This isn't about the environment...it can be masked with the shroud of being green but the only green involved here is that of the dollar bill.

This is one of those things where they KNOW you can't protest too loud for fear of being called a killer of our Mother (Earth)....sort of how they removed all the brown bags from the marts because plastic was stronger (cheaper) and then banned the plastic unless you pay for it. How does that make sense? Paper, at least, biodegrades. Either do away with plastic bags or not. Do or not do....there is no try.

A while ago there (on a sister board) was a nice lady who was soooooooo worried about how DCL handled their waste (as if they weren't subject to regulations). I pointed out that, if she was truly concerned, she shouldn't fly or drive a fossil fuel consuming vehicle to get on a ship which cruises around in circles simply for her pleasure. Its nice to be environmentally aware, but you have to check yourself while you're at it. Splinter in the eye and all that........

Anyhow, someone pointed out that this, too, shall pass. True.

That doesn't mean that the slippery slope of a slow and gradual decline of what is "Disney-like" hasn't continued. It starts with the napkins and slowly....slooooowly, continues. It's like needing glasses....your eyesight declines so gradually that you don't perceive it until, one day, you can't read the damn labels on the medicine bottles.

I have rattled on much longer than I anticipated when I first began to press on these keys. We are visiting WDW in just a matter of days and I hope I am not sad with the other changes in service and attitude. Us old folks get cranky.

Now get off my lawn!!!!!!

I'm glad there is the option to send back to resort. I like reusable bags in my day to day life - when they're kept in my car and I just have to grab them out on my way into the store - but we try to go into the parks with no bags to skip that line most days. So, bringing my own bags or carrying a big purse is not happening. Having to continually buy reusable bags that I don't need is also wasteful.

HOw much are the bags anyway? Are there different sizes?

[
Reusable Bags in Disney World and Disneyland Debut With Exclusive, Location-Specific Designs!

By AJ 1 Comment

dedication to eliminating single-use plastics, including plastic bags, in 2019, and we’re starting to see even more reusable bag options in Disney World and Disneyland — this time specific to the locations where they’re found!

We saw some generic Disney reusable bags when World of Disney re-opened recently. But today in Disneyland we spotted these Disneyland-specific bags.

Disneyland Reusable Bags

Bags are $1.00, $1.50, and $2.00 depending on size, and you can see that the bags for each park show attractions in that specific park. On this Disneyland version, you have it’s a small world, Space Mountain, and Star Tours (or, the soon to be found in Disneyland Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge).

I'm glad there is the option to send back to resort. I like reusable bags in my day to day life - when they're kept in my car and I just have to grab them out on my way into the store - but we try to go into the parks with no bags to skip that line most days. So, bringing my own bags or carrying a big purse is not happening. Having to continually buy reusable bags that I don't need is also wasteful.

HOw much are the bags anyway? Are there different sizes?

I wonder if this will work out for Disney in the long run? Sure, those of us who stay on site can ship our purchases back to the resort. But what about the many, many people who don't stay on site? Most people pack lite when going to the parks. I myself leave my giant purse at home and only bring a very small crossbody to the parks. Who is going to want to carry a bunch of loose items around a theme park? Or buy bags to carry it all when they are already paying premium theme park prices for those items? How many people are going to say, "Forget this!" and leave their potential purchase on the counter?

Even with the Disney Stores, now I know to bring reusable bags but I guarantee I will forget to bring them. And who wants to carry a bunch of loose items around the mall or buy bags to carry their purchases? Not me. It's one thing to use reusable bags at the grocery store, a place people go on a regular basis and usually have a routine down. People don't usually go to the Disney Store in the mall and certainly not shops in the theme parks enough that they are going to remember or want to carry empty reusable bags around with them when they go.

I, personally, would e happy to have a nickel for every purchase made in WDW that required a plastic bag to carry it in.....Keep the admission ticket prices (I'm not greedy). just give me those nickels!!!!!!

I wonder if this will work out for Disney in the long run? Sure, those of us who stay on site can ship our purchases back to the resort. But what about the many, many people who don't stay on site? Most people pack lite when going to the parks. I myself leave my giant purse at home and only bring a very small crossbody to the parks. Who is going to want to carry a bunch of loose items around a theme park? Or buy bags to carry it all when they are already paying premium theme park prices for those items? How many people are going to say, "Forget this!" and leave their potential purchase on the counter?

Even with the Disney Stores, now I know to bring reusable bags but I guarantee I will forget to bring them. And who wants to carry a bunch of loose items around the mall or buy bags to carry their purchases? Not me. It's one thing to use reusable bags at the grocery store, a place people go on a regular basis and usually have a routine down. People don't usually go to the Disney Store in the mall and certainly not shops in the theme parks enough that they are going to remember or want to carry empty reusable bags around with them when they go.
It has been mentioned by merchandise CMs that plastic bags will still be available on request in the Parks, and of course, they'll still use the bags to ship to resorts. Whether or not, however, they'll eliminate the bags later on down the line is a moot point, but I seriously doubt they'd phase them out anytime soon, but then it does lead to the question of how purchases will be shipped, not to mention practicality, especially since not everyone is willing to lug around a heap of reusable bags all day, because it's difficult to anticipate what you're going to buy, and the largest reusable bag they're selling in the Parks doesn't always fold nicely into some bags/backpacks/totes/handbags. That said, it does make me wonder if they'll explore using plant-based bioplastic bags to replace the plastic ones, because again, there's going to be people that find carrying around empty reusables to be rather impractical and challenging.
If they are washing the trays, they can give me a plate and wash that.

If they aren't, yuck and nope.

Environmentally friendly, my bee-hind.
The term 'environmentally-friendly' is often thrown around too much, and yields dubious practices that appear to look good to the greenies, yet is tantamount to greenwashing. 90% of the time, they're not often backed up with an ecolabel and/or other certification such as ISO 14000, and often smells of bottom-lining. With their solar farm often praised, Disney could easily use that to power their dishwashers and also use soap that's also truly environmentally-friendly, backed up with proof, of course.

Come to think of it, the ribs at The Polite Pig in DS are served like this, but their wax paper is fancier so you just don’t notice.
I noticed. Impossible to cut on without cutting the paper. I've noticed more and more places doing this and I can't stand it. The food always get cold real fast too!
It has been mentioned by merchandise CMs that plastic bags will still be available on request in the Parks, and of course, they'll still use the bags to ship to resorts. Whether or not, however, they'll eliminate the bags later on down the line is a moot point, but I seriously doubt they'd phase them out anytime soon...
On my last trip in May 2018 at the Poly they wrapped a breakable item I bought and then went to hand me the wrapped shredded paper thing. I looked at her like she was crazy and had to ask for a bag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter