MDR Tips and Tricks

We have done several cruises but rarely ask for anything special at dinner. I have seen a few comments about people making fun and interesting requests at dinner. That said, I would love to hear everyone's tips and tricks for changing it up in the dining room.

Here's a trick most people don't use: just because it seems "directed" meals, doesn't mean they are. You can literally start with desert, and go up the menu. You can have a 3-entree dinner, if you choose. You can even order stuff not in the menu at all. You can order a sample of all the deserts. You can order every one's meal and then ask them to take it to your stateroom. Your main and assistant servers will gladly oblige. That said, if you request any of the above, be cool and leave a nicer tip that you usually would.

My husband (who is Indian) orders Indian food every night of the cruise, except the first night (it's not available then). Just request it the night before and they will have it for you at dinner the next night. It's a set menu rotation based on what the chefs have on hand, but it's usually pretty good, according to my husband. It's typically chicken, fish, beef, or sometimes lamb, in a variety of mild curry styles. My husband's favorite is when they have biryani. If you like Indian food, you should try it!

Kruno Stublic from Croatia. We've had him twice and he is great. His assistant 2 weeks ago was Giovani from Jamaica and they were the best team we have ever had. If you can, get Giovani to sing for you. He has a fantastic voice.

Are these on the Dream? or Fantasy?

My husband (who is Indian) orders Indian food every night of the cruise, except the first night (it's not available then). Just request it the night before and they will have it for you at dinner the next night. It's a set menu rotation based on what the chefs have on hand, but it's usually pretty good, according to my husband. It's typically chicken, fish, beef, or sometimes lamb, in a variety of mild curry styles. My husband's favorite is when they have biryani. If you like Indian food, you should try it!

Really I love Indian food I'll have to try it.

Dream server/head server suggestions?

On the Dream is Simone Tosti from Italy for head server and Vladimir Tomovic server..

On the Wonder if he is still on the ship, ask for Sayid from Turkey.

Thy also have vegetarian. Our server really made our first cruise when he offered the Indian food option to me. And on the last night I got to meet the chef who had made it for me. It was a surprise and I was overwhelmed, but if such a combo of events happens again I'll see if I can offer a tip to the chef.

Head servers Oneal 1st choice, or Liam 2nd. You can tell them those two options, in that order. In case 1 is gone

First time DCL cruiser here! When do you put in your request? When you check in for dinner the first night? Or is it better to do that before at Guest Services?

TIA!

First time DCL cruiser here! When do you put in your request? When you check in for dinner the first night? Or is it better to do that before at Guest Services?

TIA!

In general, the earlier you make a request, the easier it is for them to accommodate. I don't know how often they respond to special requests for waiters/head waiters. I do know that if you have special dietary requirements, the more time you give them, the more they can plan to have special ingredients available. For instance, if you are lactose intolerant, they'll be able to substitute soy on the spot, but if you prefer almond milk or some other alternative, with notice, they can adjust accordingly.

They're *very* good about working with dietary requirements, but with notice, they can be proactive rather than reactive.

on our last cruise, a table near us got crab legs and steamed white rice served to them nearly every night. do you have to make a special request for something like that? for anyone who has made such a request, do you have to pay extra for that?

We are on the Fantasy next month so I would love any recommendations for that ship. Does anyone have any great off menu suggestions?

Toto as a server and Valine ("Val") as an assistant server. My kids wanted to take Val home! :)

Last cruise on the Magic (in 2010) we had Aswald (st Vincent) and Sudama (indonesia). Both were fantastic.
Does anyone know where they are now? We are booked on the Wonder Oct 31-Nov 5.

If you request a specific restaurant rotation can you also request a specific server? Or is that too hard for them to do?

If you request a specific restaurant rotation can you also request a specific server? Or is that too hard for them to do?

That may be too much, since the server is assigned to a specific rotation. You may get lucky, but having them arrange both is a very tall order, since there's a 2 in 3 chance it involves a schedule change for the server(s) in question.

That may be too much, since the server is assigned to a specific rotation. You may get lucky, but having them arrange both is a very tall order, since there's a 2 in 3 chance it involves a schedule change for the server(s) in question.

Also be aware that serving teams are not always the same, so it would be better to request ONE server (head, main, assistant) than a team.

I've always heard that if you put in more than one request, they often either randomly pick one or just ignore them all as it can create major issues trying to make all the puzzle pieces fit.

Where do I find a link to the menus for the restaurants the fantasy???
I'm a super picky eater and I'm scared to death I won't find food to eat :(

Try Googling "disney cruise menu fantasy", and you'll find plenty of postings.

For example:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-fantasy-cruise-ship-menus/
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

If you don't see something you'd like on the regular menu, you can branch out to the children's menu, which has things like: Mickey's Mac 'n' Cheese, Minnie's Mini Burger, Pizza - pepperoni and mozzarella , Golden Chicken Strips with Barbecue Sauce, Filet Steak Medallions on a rich Tomato Sauce, Baked Fresh Cod Filet

Loads of adults order from the children's menu. What's nice is that you can order from both. For example, I see a chicken and spinach pizza on the kids' menu that's might fit well between a caesar salad and tiramisu.
(Can you tell it's lunchtime?)

You can mark me down as one who orders a Mickey bar. I also order an adult drink called a BBC. Very good. It's a banana flavored drink.

Thy also have vegetarian. Our server really made our first cruise when he offered the Indian food option to me. And on the last night I got to meet the chef who had made it for me. It was a surprise and I was overwhelmed, but if such a combo of events happens again I'll see if I can offer a tip to the chef.

You're right! I forgot about the vegetarian option. My husband likes meat too much to order the veggie options, though. Sometimes he would even order the meat portion of an entree off the menu to go with his Indian food.

Try Googling "disney cruise menu fantasy", and you'll find plenty of postings.

For example:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-fantasy-cruise-ship-menus/
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

If you don't see something you'd like on the regular menu, you can branch out to the children's menu, which has things like: Mickey's Mac 'n' Cheese, Minnie's Mini Burger, Pizza - pepperoni and mozzarella , Golden Chicken Strips with Barbecue Sauce, Filet Steak Medallions on a rich Tomato Sauce, Baked Fresh Cod Filet

Loads of adults order from the children's menu. What's nice is that you can order from both. For example, I see a chicken and spinach pizza on the kids' menu that's might fit well between a caesar salad and tiramisu.
(Can you tell it's lunchtime?)

Thank you so much

Okay so another question
If I see something on the menu

Example:
Caramelized Sea Scallops
With Roasted Asparagus, Sun-dried Tomatoes, and Pearl Pasta, garnished with Caramelized Leeks and Veal Jus Reduction
Is it rude to ask for no glaze and say lemon butter instead and no tomatoes or pasta made a side of mashed potatoes or something instead???

That's pretty much how I order at restaurants at home. I find something and then just change the sauce (or remove it and eat it plain)

I don't want to be horribly difficult and come across rude.....not sure the cruise etiquette

Oh I didnt know that we could order Mickey bars at the MDR. I've never ever had one, so I will definitely have one on our cruise.

If we have had it noted on our reservation that my DH is gluten free, will we need to remind them again on the first night??

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter