• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAY 2023 W.I.S.H. - May you have a healthy month

Hi all! I'm new to these threads but looking for some comradery as I try to focus on my health goals.

I'm a 37 year old mom of three who is currently 2/3 of the way through chemo for Hodgkins lymphoma. In my cancer beforetimes, I ran 15+ miles a week with two crosstrains and maintained a healthy weight (with some room for error, of course- we all remember the "there's a pandemic, I'll eat all the Cheetos I want" days!!). Then, the cancer caused me increasing fatigue and weight loss over the six months that I was searching for my diagnosis. When we finally figured out what was ailing me, I had been forced to give up all exercise and was still barely making it through the day to be awake later than my 9 year olds.

Fast forward through four months of chemo and I'm in a very weird sort of limbo. I gained back all of my weight plus ten pounds with the "Screw it, I have cancer, I'll eat what I want" mindset. My activity levels vary wildly depending on where I am in my every-other-week infusion cycle. I have 2-3 total crap days, 2-3 transitional days, and then hopefully 9 good, strong days before I have to go beat myself up all over again.

My goals are:
1) Be gentle with myself on my 2-3 total crap days. Eat what I need to in order to keep the nausea at bay, even if it's just junk food, and rest as much as I need to.
2) Use my 2-3 transitional days to reset into healthier choices. Once the nausea fades, make better food choices again. Once the fatigue lets up, start with yoga and pilates again. Start running when it feels right. (The earliest I've been able to run is a Thursday after chemo the prior Friday. I tried Wednesday this past infusion and hit a total wall after one mile.)
3) Use the rest of my good cycle days to stay active, run 5k, strength train, and make solid food choices.

I'm hopeful that keeping to these goals will allow me to finish up chemo with a good base to rebuild my strength and endurance, as well as a body that still fits into my current clothes. I'm not trying to lose weight right now, but I also don't want to allow my stress eating to push me any higher, as that's just more work I'll have to do this summer when chemo is behind me.

My next infusion is Friday, so I'm firmly in the good days right now. Yesterday was strength training, this morning was a 5k, and I'm limiting my snacking to raw broccoli or bell peppers with tatziki.

Here's to a healthy May!
:welcome:

TUESDAY TOPIC: Routines and Rituals

shutterstock_759600310_ehpamg.jpg

Having established routines for some daily activities can have the following benefits:
  • Lower stress levels and increased relaxation
  • Better physical fitness and higher energy levels
  • More restful and better quality sleep
How do you establish a new routine?
  • Make a list of the activities you want to include
  • Set a schedule for when you are going to do them.
  • Start doing them!
How do you turn a routine activity in to a ritual?

The big difference between the two is the intent. Something as simple as meal prep or walking the dog can become a ritual if you make a point of being mindful of what you are doing and present while you are doing it.

Choosing to be more mindful seems simple, but when you are starting a more mindful daily action less really is more. Start by picking just one activity or thing you do every day.

Some healthy living routines might be:

• Schedule daily exercise, which might just be stretching and breathing.
  • Daily meditation.
  • Drinking more water.
  • Long walks in nature.
  • Eating meals on a regular schedule.

What are some routines and/or rituals you already have? What are some you want to start?

I definitely do better with routines - I do better with my eating during the week because I have the routine of going to work every day. I pack my lunch and breakfast each day, so it's easier to control what I'll be eating for the day. My mom calls some days to do lunch, but otherwise, I eat my packed lunch and snacks throughout the day and it works well.

At work, I'm also very good at getting my water in. We have a water dispenser at work and my routine is to fill my cup every hour in the morning. It helps to keep me full and it makes me get my water in. We start at 7:00, so I have 6 glasses (they are 24 oz each) from 7-12. I usually eat lunch around 12:30, so it works well.

I still need to get into my exercise routine. That seems to be the hardest for me. I just get lazy when I get home. We have a nice neighborhood to walk through - mostly flat, but has some small hills to walk up which adds a little bit of a challenge during the walk. Walking through all the streets is about a mile. My goal is to start by walking one lap for a week or so and then slowly adding until I get up to two full laps. There's various cul-de-sacs so it's easy to add extra distance from our house if that makes sense.

Somehow I am both good and not good with routines. Overall my life has a fairly well defined "rhythm", but man when it comes to incorporating something new I'm all-in for a week or so, then at some point I'll remember I had intended to be doing that thing, yet somehow again I forgot.

I'm a month in to doing the hand weight exercises, and I'm getting to the point where I can't not do them because they make my body very happy. Same with Pilates, even at just once a week my body loves doing it (at least afterwards, during not so much), so I do need to find a replacement place to go when my current teacher leaves for New Zealand in June. With both I'm getting to the 'ritual' stage where I can be very mindful and tuned into my body and how it is moving.

I didn't make it a monthly goal, but I am starting with meditation right before bed, even if just to stand by the side of the bed for a few minutes and breathe.

My name is Stephanie and I am from Northeast Ohio. I am married with 2 kids (DS just turned 17 and DD is 15). My kids keep me really busy as well as work right now. I worked 9.5 hours on Friday and yesterday. Weather here has been awful. It has been in the 40's or 50's with rain almost every day. I am ready for some sun and at least 60 degree weather. Disney was at least warmer (in the low 70's but is was grey and drizzly that week too (here was sunny and 80).

I need to get a routine down. I did great over the pandemic but I just can't seem to get back to it. I am hoping that the 5k's will help.

I am writing my first trip report if anyone wants to follow. https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...ds-added-in-a-spring-break-2023-trip.3916738/ I will post more hopefully this week. It just has been crazy right now.

So sorry to hear that! It must be so stressful :grouphug:

I’m sorry you have the added stress of a sick husband. I’m well-versed in what you are going through between my parents and siblings. My parents are gone now, but would be 98 and 103 if they were alive. My sister is a breast cancer survivor. My brother has had multiple myeloma for years and is in his 70’s. His son and family moved in and my brother and his wife live in a separate in-law apartment on property. So everyone is together but because of Covid, my brother doesn’t have physical contact with anyone. I haven’t seen him since before the pandemic. We talk on the phone.

I hope your DH heals quickly so he can come home soon.

Thanks, friends. This is our fourth illness quarantine since I started chemo, but the first time that Hubby got sick. In January and February, the girls kept bringing things home from school so I'd have to be the one to go hide while he kept the house running. I'm glad it's happening now, when I'm high energy, and hopeful that he'll be home before chemo kicks my a$$ on Friday. If he can't be back by then, someone will have to take the kids.

What are some routines and/or rituals you already have? What are some you want to start?

Man, this is probably the hardest part about cancer treatment for me, is how hard it is to set a routine.

We're very good about doing a weekend shopping list where we decide on dinners for the week and restock on healthy foods. That keeps me from ordering out and dealing with that cost and calories. I also make myself have a glass of water in between each caffeinated drink, which keeps me hydrated.

I'm struggling more with exercise routines because I just don't know what my body will be up to day-by-day. Today, I'm going to walk on my lunch break and do pilates when the kids are in dance class. I used to always be up an hour before everyone else, so I could really take that time to myself, but I sleep in later on the chemo. If that's what my body needs, I don't want to set an alarm to disrupt it. But, I also find it much harder to go for a run or throw around some weights if it's not part of my first-thing-in-the-morning time.

Great topic!!

I rely on routines/rituals so much. - If I don't have that few minutes to myself in the morning with my coffee, the day just hasn't started correctly. :laughing: And I'm the ultimate early bird, so I absolutely exist on "autopilot" most evenings: dinner routine, clean up, treadmill, dishes, cat box... I pop a streaming show or YouTube channel on the iPad while I'm on the treadmill and then just carry it around with me while I do the other chores. It makes me look forward to the time instead of dreading it.

I just saw this quote:
1683044999432.jpeg
on Instagram this morning, and it really sums up my exercise philosophy. I try to keep that slot part of my routine, even if I don't have much time some nights and only do 10 minutes then. I know I'll have more time another night and it will all work out in the end.

Last edited:

Ge treadmill and then just carry it around with while I do the other chores. It makes me look forward to the time instead of dreading it.

I just saw this quote:
View attachment 757849
This is my philosophy losing weight this time. My goal for the month is 5 pounds - as much as I have to lose, I should be able to lose quite a bit more than that, but I know I can cut enough calories to hopefully lose 5 pounds this month. I should be able to stick with that. Most days I do better, but I know that overall, it's something I can stick to, good days and bad.

... and, my husband spiked a fever. Which, when you're completely immune compromised, is not great! (I'm at the point where a fever is an automatic hospital admission and chemo delay.) He's going to stay with his parents, so I'm solo parenting for the next couple of days. Really going to have to hunker down to lay off the stress eating.

Also, no early morning runs since I'd be leaving the sleeping kids home alone. Pilates it is!
I’m so sorry 😢 *HUGS*

Forgot my into!!
Danielle, 39 living with DH and DD15. We also have 2 DSs who are young adults and out on their own! I work in a branch of HR and our family does all things animal rescue (but mostly dog) in our spare time, to include dog walking at the SPCA which is excellent exercise thankfully!! My goal this month is to close my move ring everyday, that’s the ring I struggle to close most days!

Last edited:
@Oneanne I like this topic!!

I very much strive on routines almost too much honestly. If something can’t be done or I have to move it to another day I do feel a little stress if it is part of my routine but the flip side of that is I do stick to my routines!!

Meal planning and cooking at home is a routine I do every week no matter what! I think it stems from when DH and I were young with two kids and no money-I had to plan out every bite of food we were going to eat each week so I knew we had enough to pay for it!! But now it’s more about health for us-but saving $ is always good!!

Also exercise, I started doing it during the pandemic as a way to keep my sanity and now it’s just part of my routine! I can’t commit to a certain time because DDs schedule is insane but for at least 30 mins 5xs a week I do a YouTube video of some type of cardio/yoga/strength training. I also try and walk around the block at least 3xs a day since I work from home.

I love routines, but wouldn't say I've taken any of them to ritual level. I'm just not that mindful of things. That being said, one of the quotes I've always remembered from some high school teacher (now, that was a loooong time ago!) is "Be where you are." If you're washing dishes, wash dishes, if you're walking then walk. When my monkey mind kicks in and I'm having trouble starting/doing just one thing I quote that to myself.

Woohoo... got 13,000 steps in yesterday.

Woohoo... finally called about getting some lip filler in addition to the filler in the corners of my mouth during my appt next week and she thought they would be able to do both. There's a new lips product out that is very subtle, no bee sting lips for me I just want, well, lips.

Woohoo... I am close to getting the entire side yard mowed to the same height and weed wacked around the raised beds. When that is accomplished it will be much easier to keep up.

What is on your woohoo list today?

Not feeling very Wooohoo! today. More like, OK, that'll work.

Husband still has a fever, so I'm still solo parenting at least through tomorrow. I guess it's a woohoo that my mom can help me out tonight to take the kids to something at the school that I can't go to because it's too germy. More "problem solved" than genuine excitement, though.

shutterstock_759600310_ehpamg.jpg

Having established routines for some daily activities can have the following benefits:
  • Lower stress levels and increased relaxation
  • Better physical fitness and higher energy levels
  • More restful and better quality sleep
How do you establish a new routine?
  • Make a list of the activities you want to include
  • Set a schedule for when you are going to do them.
  • Start doing them!
How do you turn a routine activity in to a ritual?

The big difference between the two is the intent. Something as simple as meal prep or walking the dog can become a ritual if you make a point of being mindful of what you are doing and present while you are doing it.

Choosing to be more mindful seems simple, but when you are starting a more mindful daily action less really is more. Start by picking just one activity or thing you do every day.

Some healthy living routines might be:

• Schedule daily exercise, which might just be stretching and breathing.
  • Daily meditation.
  • Drinking more water.
  • Long walks in nature.
  • Eating meals on a regular schedule.

1. A relatively recent ritual I have is to get off technology by 8:30pm, go upstairs, shower, and read until I'm tired enough to fall asleep, usually by 9:30-10pm. I find that I'm getting a better night's sleep with this routine.

2. I always drink a ridiculous amount of water.

3. I usually eat meals on a regular schedule.

I would like to start adding more steps to my day. Today I did pretty well with that. I have so little time to myself right now, but in the summer, I will add chair yoga, the treadmill, and of course, swimming to my exercise routine.

Last edited:

Great topic!!

I rely on routines/rituals so much. - If I don't have that few minutes to myself in the morning with my coffee, the day just hasn't started correctly. :laughing: And I'm the ultimate early bird, so I absolutely exist on "autopilot" most evenings: dinner routine, clean up, treadmill, dishes, cat box... I pop a streaming show or YouTube channel on the iPad while I'm on the treadmill and then just carry it around with me while I do the other chores. It makes me look forward to the time instead of dreading it.

I just saw this quote:
View attachment 757849
on Instagram this morning, and it really sums up my exercise philosophy. I try to keep that slot part of my routine, even if I don't have much time some nights and only do 10 minutes then. I know I'll have more time another night and it will all work out in the end.
Excellent quote!!!

WOO HOO! I was able to get two stubborn colleagues to compromise with each other by being very diplomatic (one of my gifts).

WOO HOO! I finished the first leg of standardized testing, except for one student who has been absent all week. Next week, round two.

WOO HOO! In five weeks from today, I will be in Cape Cod with my childhood friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter