MAY 2023 W.I.S.H. - May you have a healthy month

Oneanne

DIS Veteran

Welcome to the May 2023 W.I.S.H. thread!

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers. So, hop aboard and post your personal goals.
We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

MOTIVATION MONDAY - TOPIC TUESDAY - WOOHOO WEDNESDAY - THANKFUL THURSDAY - FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY - SOCIAL SATURDAY - SELF-CARE SUNDAY

May Schedule:
5/1/23 - 5/7/23: Oneanne
5/8/23 - 5/14/23: PAsFab5
5/15/23 - 5/21/23: Summer2018

5/22/23 - 5/28/23:
hello-spring-banner-season-vocation-weekend-holiday-logo-spring-time-wallpaper-happy-spring-day_721791-946.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, hi... I'm Lizanne a single lady on a quest to get healthy.

So far 2023 has been very good: I moved out of the city to a small town which has been a boon to my mental health. I'm getting a lot more exercise, mostly thru walking which is a joy with so many awesome choices close at hand, And I've lost enough weight to be down a couple sizes in clothing.

Goals for May:
Continue my hand weight arm exercises and get up to 5 lbs weights at some point during the month
Lose 6 pounds, which is a lot. Not sure why I mapped my pre-cruise goals out like that but I'll leave it as a stretch goal and be happy with -4.
Keep my step count up between 8000 and 10000 per day.
Try a new form of exercise and/or hike a new to me trail.

Hi :wave: I'm Nicole, 52, in southeastern Massachusetts. I live with my DH, DS(22) and several pets.

My goals this month are:
- to up my treadmill speed and time a little
- to try out two new healthy recipes
- and to continue decluttering

(I'm going to hold off for now on taking a week, as I'm already hosting the exercise thread and the gratitude thread this month.)

Happy May Day!

DSC03051cr-520x1024.jpg

When we were little we used to do these every May Day: picking flowers from my Mom's garden, ringing the doorbell and then running around the house to come in the back door. I don't think she ever figured out it was us...

Is there a specific routine or resource you use for this? I'm wondering if it's something ai should start.
I'm doing YouTube videos by FIT by Mik, and love them. She does routines 10 to 15 minutes 45 seconds exercising and 15 second breaks, just the right amount of energy and correction tips.

I'm going to branch out and do some of her other exercises as well.

Welcome to the May 2023 W.I.S.H. thread!

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers. So, hop aboard and post your personal goals.
We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

MOTIVATION MONDAY - TOPIC TUESDAY - WOOHOO WEDNESDAY - THANKFUL THURSDAY - FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY - SOCIAL SATURDAY - SELF-CARE SUNDAY

May Schedule:
5/1/23 - 5/7/23: Oneanne
5/8/23 - 5/14/23:
5/15/23 - 5/21/23:

5/22/23 - 5/28/23:
hello-spring-banner-season-vocation-weekend-holiday-logo-spring-time-wallpaper-happy-spring-day_721791-946.jpg
I can take the week of the 8th!!!

Hi all! I'm new to these threads but looking for some comradery as I try to focus on my health goals.

I'm a 37 year old mom of three who is currently 2/3 of the way through chemo for Hodgkins lymphoma. In my cancer beforetimes, I ran 15+ miles a week with two crosstrains and maintained a healthy weight (with some room for error, of course- we all remember the "there's a pandemic, I'll eat all the Cheetos I want" days!!). Then, the cancer caused me increasing fatigue and weight loss over the six months that I was searching for my diagnosis. When we finally figured out what was ailing me, I had been forced to give up all exercise and was still barely making it through the day to be awake later than my 9 year olds.

Fast forward through four months of chemo and I'm in a very weird sort of limbo. I gained back all of my weight plus ten pounds with the "Screw it, I have cancer, I'll eat what I want" mindset. My activity levels vary wildly depending on where I am in my every-other-week infusion cycle. I have 2-3 total crap days, 2-3 transitional days, and then hopefully 9 good, strong days before I have to go beat myself up all over again.

My goals are:
1) Be gentle with myself on my 2-3 total crap days. Eat what I need to in order to keep the nausea at bay, even if it's just junk food, and rest as much as I need to.
2) Use my 2-3 transitional days to reset into healthier choices. Once the nausea fades, make better food choices again. Once the fatigue lets up, start with yoga and pilates again. Start running when it feels right. (The earliest I've been able to run is a Thursday after chemo the prior Friday. I tried Wednesday this past infusion and hit a total wall after one mile.)
3) Use the rest of my good cycle days to stay active, run 5k, strength train, and make solid food choices.

I'm hopeful that keeping to these goals will allow me to finish up chemo with a good base to rebuild my strength and endurance, as well as a body that still fits into my current clothes. I'm not trying to lose weight right now, but I also don't want to allow my stress eating to push me any higher, as that's just more work I'll have to do this summer when chemo is behind me.

My next infusion is Friday, so I'm firmly in the good days right now. Yesterday was strength training, this morning was a 5k, and I'm limiting my snacking to raw broccoli or bell peppers with tatziki.

Here's to a healthy May!

Hi all! I'm new to these threads but looking for some comradery as I try to focus on my health goals.

I'm a 37 year old mom of three who is currently 2/3 of the way through chemo for Hodgkins lymphoma. In my cancer beforetimes, I ran 15+ miles a week with two crosstrains and maintained a healthy weight (with some room for error, of course- we all remember the "there's a pandemic, I'll eat all the Cheetos I want" days!!). Then, the cancer caused me increasing fatigue and weight loss over the six months that I was searching for my diagnosis. When we finally figured out what was ailing me, I had been forced to give up all exercise and was still barely making it through the day to be awake later than my 9 year olds.

Fast forward through four months of chemo and I'm in a very weird sort of limbo. I gained back all of my weight plus ten pounds with the "Screw it, I have cancer, I'll eat what I want" mindset. My activity levels vary wildly depending on where I am in my every-other-week infusion cycle. I have 2-3 total crap days, 2-3 transitional days, and then hopefully 9 good, strong days before I have to go beat myself up all over again.

My goals are:
1) Be gentle with myself on my 2-3 total crap days. Eat what I need to in order to keep the nausea at bay, even if it's just junk food, and rest as much as I need to.
2) Use my 2-3 transitional days to reset into healthier choices. Once the nausea fades, make better food choices again. Once the fatigue lets up, start with yoga and pilates again. Start running when it feels right. (The earliest I've been able to run is a Thursday after chemo the prior Friday. I tried Wednesday this past infusion and hit a total wall after one mile.)
3) Use the rest of my good cycle days to stay active, run 5k, strength train, and make solid food choices.

I'm hopeful that keeping to these goals will allow me to finish up chemo with a good base to rebuild my strength and endurance, as well as a body that still fits into my current clothes. I'm not trying to lose weight right now, but I also don't want to allow my stress eating to push me any higher, as that's just more work I'll have to do this summer when chemo is behind me.

My next infusion is Friday, so I'm firmly in the good days right now. Yesterday was strength training, this morning was a 5k, and I'm limiting my snacking to raw broccoli or bell peppers with tatziki.

Here's to a healthy May!
Welcome! This is a great group and I hope you will find the support you are looking for with us while you're dealing with so much.

Welcome:butterflyThe One with Triplets!!! :grouphug:We are here for you.

I'm Summer...58 years old, married 30 years this July to my DH, 63. We have one DD, 25, who still lives with us...not looking forward to the day we become empty nesters. I'm a veteran early childhood teacher in an inner city public school currently teaching kindergarten. I am on NOOM working hard on my goal to become healthier and in better physical condition. My ultimate goal is to lose 70 lbs. total, 10 more by June for my 40th reunion with my childhood beach friend.

I can take the week of the 15th.

Welcome @TheOneWithTheTriplets !
Shannon, 40 from RI. Mom to DS10, DS8 and DD4....busy with work and life and all things in between.
The last month was me trying to keep my sanity while trying to get used to the new normal of having both my parents gone. And I made it through with my pants still zippering...so win?
This month it's time to get back into the swing...more salad and healthy(ish) snacking. More movement when schedules allow. Looking forward to being able to open the windows and sit in the breezeway on Saturday nights. Fall and winter were extra long...looking forward to some fresh air and light, goodness knows we could all use it!

Welcome @TheOneWithTheTriplets! I'm pretty new here too and everyone is so friendly!

I'm Becky - 52 year old mom of 3 great kids - DD26, DD25 and DS20 - married to DH for 32 years this summer. I lost 50 pounds in 2020 and then gained it all back :o . I did it once, I know I can do it again! After that, I still have at least 30 to go after that, but I'll get to that in due time.

One of my longer term goals is to be able to feel ok in dresses. I have a true apple shape and carry my weight in my tummy area. Honestly, I could wear maternity clothes and if I wasn't 52, everyone would for sure think I was pregnant. I want to change that and I know to do that, I need to lose a decent amount of weight because that will be the last place to lose.

My goals for this month:

Lose 5 pounds
Track everyday - even if it's not perfect
Get at least 7,500 steps 5 days a week

... and, my husband spiked a fever. Which, when you're completely immune compromised, is not great! (I'm at the point where a fever is an automatic hospital admission and chemo delay.) He's going to stay with his parents, so I'm solo parenting for the next couple of days. Really going to have to hunker down to lay off the stress eating.

Also, no early morning runs since I'd be leaving the sleeping kids home alone. Pilates it is!

Welcome @TheOneWithTheTriplets

I'm Linda, an empty-nester from the Pacific Northwest and very sporadic poster here! :rotfl2: I do read most everything, but just poop out when it comes time to answer!

Right now I'm very proud of @Oneanne for entering onederland. I've been eating terribly and was way too close to leaving it. Hoping I'm doing better now, but was out of town on my weigh in day. Eating is better, but exercise is severely lacking. I started getting up at o'dark thirty again to do yoga, but then got to feeling under the weather and have put it off for a couple weeks. Know I won't do it this week because my allergies are killing me! It was all I could do to make it through the entire day at work. Fingers crossed tomorrow is better!

... and, my husband spiked a fever. Which, when you're completely immune compromised, is not great! (I'm at the point where a fever is an automatic hospital admission and chemo delay.) He's going to stay with his parents, so I'm solo parenting for the next couple of days. Really going to have to hunker down to lay off the stress eating.

Also, no early morning runs since I'd be leaving the sleeping kids home alone. Pilates it is!

So sorry to hear that! It must be so stressful :grouphug:

TUESDAY TOPIC: Routines and Rituals

shutterstock_759600310_ehpamg.jpg

Having established routines for some daily activities can have the following benefits:
  • Lower stress levels and increased relaxation
  • Better physical fitness and higher energy levels
  • More restful and better quality sleep
How do you establish a new routine?
  • Make a list of the activities you want to include
  • Set a schedule for when you are going to do them.
  • Start doing them!
How do you turn a routine activity in to a ritual?

The big difference between the two is the intent. Something as simple as meal prep or walking the dog can become a ritual if you make a point of being mindful of what you are doing and present while you are doing it.

Choosing to be more mindful seems simple, but when you are starting a more mindful daily action less really is more. Start by picking just one activity or thing you do every day.

Some healthy living routines might be:

• Schedule daily exercise, which might just be stretching and breathing.
  • Daily meditation.
  • Drinking more water.
  • Long walks in nature.
  • Eating meals on a regular schedule.

What are some routines and/or rituals you already have? What are some you want to start?

I’m sorry you have the added stress of a sick husband. I’m well-versed in what you are going through between my parents and siblings. My parents are gone now, but would be 98 and 103 if they were alive. My sister is a breast cancer survivor. My brother has had multiple myeloma for years and is in his 70’s. His son and family moved in and my brother and his wife live in a separate in-law apartment on property. So everyone is together but because of Covid, my brother doesn’t have physical contact with anyone. I haven’t seen him since before the pandemic. We talk on the phone.

I hope your DH heals quickly so he can come home soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter