Masks optional at WDW starting 6/15/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m mainly reporting on what we are seeing on the ground here, and that is a huge shift toward what it was like pre-Covid. We scheduled our trip on fairly short notice, once we saw things moving toward dropping restrictions. I’d guessed that most restrictions would be down by mid-June, so we arrived June 14th. Only one day with masks indoors, and it seemed loosely enforced (in Epcot).

As for reversing the decisions on lifting Covid restrictions, I really don’t see that happening. It could just be the people we chatted with, but we didn’t talk to a single person who thought things were moving too fast. Maybe the parks are full of people who feel a certain way, but they do seem quite full. I’m not sure why Disney would change course when they will eventually end up in the same place.

The only way I see the rules going backwards towards requiring masks would be if the number of cases started to increase dramatically. Right now that isn't the trend we've been seeing, lets hope it continues! :)

I’m mainly reporting on what we are seeing on the ground here, and that is a huge shift toward what it was like pre-Covid. We scheduled our trip on fairly short notice, once we saw things moving toward dropping restrictions. I’d guessed that most restrictions would be down by mid-June, so we arrived June 14th. Only one day with masks indoors, and it seemed loosely enforced (in Epcot).

As for reversing the decisions on lifting Covid restrictions, I really don’t see that happening. It could just be the people we chatted with, but we didn’t talk to a single person who thought things were moving too fast. Maybe the parks are full of people who feel a certain way, but they do seem quite full. I’m not sure why Disney would change course when they will eventually end up in the same place.
I'm honestly thinking we're having 2 different conversations. I was responding to a poster saying Disney would absolutely lose money if they kept up the mandate, I countered with unlikely. The pull is strong with Disney.

I can understand if you want to update the thread about your in real time experience :flower3: but it's not exactly applicable to my conversation regarding Disney losing money if they had kept up with a mask requirement. I never mentioned a reversal so I'm not sure what you're getting at there.

I'm just saying "if you build it they will come" in this case if Disney is open people will come and keep coming. Not much has deterred people and if someone says "hey I won't go with Disney having the mask requirement" there's another person who says "I'm game let's go" just how it is and how it has been with just about every decision I've seen Disney do that has ruffled feathers with the likes you've never seen (until the next big decision that is lol) from parking at the resorts, to stroller adjustments to even MNSSHP where people exclaim they won't go but are like "welll....this after hours event that is taking the place right now for MNSSHP is pricey but I want to go!!" to increased in dessert parties to honestly way too many to list. Like I said the MK tents are about the only thing I can think of (the $600 eye sore of tents that didn't last long even after they "discounted" them). The fact that people have been going since July with such limited experiences (and increases in costs all over the place) shows you how strong that pull is with Disney.

It seems as though it was only 1 party to a booth - I didn't look super carefully to know for sure though, but my experience has been even pre-pandemic that only larger parties (6 or more) were sat in the booths at Oga's in Hollywood Studios - could be wrong though! I've gone multiple times as a party of 2 and 4 and we always are "seated" at the standing tables or the bar.

There were also definitely more seats at the bar itself than previously though!
From what I've heard (and then experienced) it can be luck of the draw/random in that sometimes they put you at the standing tables and sometimes the booths with small parties. We went in September 2019 for DLR. I was pretty certain WDW also did the mixing of groups even at the booths but that may just be the luck/random bit (maybe they do it less at WDW). I think their preference could be to fill in small groups elsewhere than the booths. But then I think sometimes it may just come down to when you check in too and what they had available. When we were inside at DLR the standing tables were really full whereas there was room at the booth we sat at and another booth from what I saw.

If they are keeping it to one party that could still be affecting some availability though I think you're right that there's increased capacity with not having to keep everyone so distanced. Plus if you saw more seats at the bar yeah that would certainly help :)

Anyways...

My next trip isn't until September and then another in November. Does anybody feel that we need to take masks just "in case" Disney springs a mask requirement on us with little warning? They wouldn't do that... right??

I go in September.I only wear masks when I have to but will have some masks just in case they change the rules. Plus I will be taking the bus to the parks so need it than. Hopefully that will go away by September but I’m going either way.

Last edited:

"Disney didn't lose money there either"

Incorrect. You think parks being shut down, resorts closed, and then limited capacity with many resorts closed..they weren't losing money?
Again we were talking about them having a mask requirement. The comment you pulled that from was this "Clearly people came knowing what Disney's policy {mask requirement} was at the time of them going on the trip (regardless of whether they would abide by it or not) so Disney didn't lose money there either." That seems clear what I was talking about :confused: but I suppose it's causing confusion.

Last edited:
Again we were talking about them having a mask requirement. The comment you pulled that from was this "Clearly people came knowing what Disney's policy {mask requirement} was at the time of them going on the trip (regardless of whether they would abide by it or not) so Disney didn't lose money there either." That seems clear what I was talking about :confused: but I suppose it's causing confusion.
I don't get it, I'm understanding what you're saying just fine :confused3 Someone said if Disney was the only big place out there with strict mask requirements they would lose money. You disagreed and gave your opinion on why people seemed to not really care that much about choosing to go to Disney knowing masks were there. I don't think everyone liked masks but yes it did seem like people were coming and more of them. I'm sure Disney would have relaxed soon enough.

I didn't think you were talking about Disney's fiscal health at large so not sure where that was being brought up. I thought you were just meaning that people weren't staying away in a large enough group to cause Disney to say 'well we better relax this mask thing people aren't coming because of it' because it really doesn't seem like that affected people and it seemed like the first person to bring it up was saying that it will cause them to lose money just by keeping that requirement for longer. I understood what the original conversation was about between you and that first person so that's why I'm confused by some of these other comments.

**Edited to get the poster's edit to be considerate to them

Last edited:

I could have missed it but are they back to packing a lot of people in the ferries and parking trams? What about the monorail? I know the dividers are still up right? Have they reduced the amount of them?

I could have missed it but are they back to packing a lot of people in the ferries and parking trams? What about the monorail? I know the dividers are still up right? Have they reduced the amount of them?

The monorail dividers came down, they were taken away on June 15th - but masks are required on the monorail.

I haven't been on the ferry, but buses they are loading people onto the bus like pre-pandemic and allowing you to stand again (masks required on buses though).

The parking trams afaik are still closed.

The monorail dividers came down, they were taken away on June 15th - but masks are required on the monorail.

I haven't been on the ferry, but buses they are loading people onto the bus like pre-pandemic and allowing you to stand again (masks required on buses though).

The parking trams afaik are still closed.
Thanks for the information! I know some people liked the dividers but others did not. I would not be looking forward to standing again but I understand the need to have that capacity.

I wonder when the parking trams will start back up. At least they are outside with open air.

I was on the ferry yesterday. I wouldn’t say it was crammed. Masks were not required on it.

Have been at WDW since last week, the change over has been incredible, it has gone from nearly 80% of people following mask mandates while indoors to virtually everyone being maskless indoors - word travels fast! :)

Was at MK yesterday and HS today. We've been mostly wearing masks while indoors, just to play it safe since my children aren't vaccinated but it is so easy to fall back into normalcy and forget to put them on or leave them in the stroller now ... kind of funny how quickly you go back to being comfortable with the way things were.

On most rides there are no more social distancing markers, and even the ones with the markers are being completely ignored now. I got to unfortunately smell someone's BO in front of my today while waiting in line - certainly a negative aspect of returning to normal LOL!

I even had CMs telling us to fill all available space today on Rise of the Resistance as you entered the first pre-show room, wow it is definitely getting back to normal!

I took the friendship boats this morning and the CM announced that masks were optional on the friendship boats and other boats but were mandatory on the monorail, buses and skyliner.

Heat is certainly a lot more bearable without the masks outside (When I was last here in April masks were mandatory everywhere except while taking photographs outside).

BTW- There was a question on dining and spacing - I definitely noticed tables were closer together at different restaurants. For example we ate at Whispering Canyon Cafe - on the 14th, the night before masks were optional and the tables were pretty close together. At Oga's Cantina today every table was being used although they were not putting parties together at the same standing table area like they were pre-pandemic. So I do think restaurant capacity has increased.

All in all - a great trip so far!
Have you noticed other families wearing masks indoors? We were planning on it even though we are vaccinated since DD8 is not. Didn’t know if we would stick out or get hassled for it. And given the vaccination rate, if hardly anyone is wearing one indoors then there are definitely a decent number of adults who aren’t vaccinated and aren’t wearing masks indoors as they should be...

I think we all knew this was eventually coming...

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...making-face-masks-optional-in-most-locations/
Masks will be optional for fully vaccinated guests starting on 6/15/21 at WDW. Masks required for guests who are not fully vaccinated indoors, at attractions, etc (but likely not enforced).

Masks will still be required on Disney transportation (includes buses, monorails and skyliner)

Proof of vaccination is of course not required (Florida law prohibits asking for proof of vaccination).

Specific wording from Disney World's website ( https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/ ):
Ah to breathe again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter