Masks back on the Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not idea what you are referring to.
You can find the numbers and headlines on pretty much any new website out there. Cases of RSV are substantially higher this year than in the average year and a number of states have already run out of beds in pediatric hospitals. Some schools have already closed temporarily and other communities are considering masks again.

Where exactly are the pediatric beds running out exactly because it was revealed that the news reports this people call the hospitals and they say it isn’t true.

No doubt they weaker immune systems after everything that's happened the last two years.
While I know that Covid can cause immune disregulation among some folks dealing with "long covid" type issues, it's not super common so that seems unlikely to be the issue here.

We should probably stop with the conspiracy nonsense before we get the thread locked, though.

Anyone else on the Dream to confirm or refute the original report?

Where exactly are the pediatric beds running out exactly because it was revealed that the news reports this people call the hospitals and they say it isn’t true.
Los Angeles for one. My DIL spent 14 hours in the ER with my 9 month old Granddaughter with RSV because there were no beds to admit her. Fortunately, in the time she was there they were able to stabilize her enough that should could go home instead of being admitted.

While I know that Covid can cause immune disregulation among some folks dealing with "long covid" type issues, it's not super common so that seems unlikely to be the issue here.
I was actually just referring to kids not being in school and more isolated over the last two years. That’s all.

I work at a Children’s hospital in CT and we’ve been in critical bed status for at least a couple months. I’ve worked here 20 years and have never seen anything like it. So yes, RSV has been around forever, but it usually affected only the most fragile patients. Now even “healthy” kids are coming in for respiratory support.

If the ship is experiencing a high rate of transmission of illness, and if the cast members could be spreading it, then I’m glad the ship’s captain is being proactive in reinstating a mask mandate. It protects both the cast members and the guests. And for anyone who doesn’t think kids aren’t getting hit hard this year just try to find children’s or infant liquid Tylenol in your local store. This may not be a huge deal for other cruise lines but for Disney, with the number of children that cruise with them, if they can’t find a place to evacuate a sick child with RSV or flu then it seems reasonable they would try to cut down on the spread a bit.

As long as the passengers don't need to wear them, I don't care what the crew does. I assume if there is somewhat of a outbreak within the crew, they would do that out of caution, to not lose many members of the crew for down time, which makes sense. Losing crew due to quarantine could cancel entire ship trips. Personally, I'd cancel my trip if they were required for guests. Thousands of dollars to wear a mask is just not for me

Is this only on the dream?

Last edited:
Just to clarify something - wearing a mask isn't primarily to protect the wearer, it's to protect others FROM the wearer. Yes, the wearer does get some protection also, but that's not the reason for wearing it.
It did work when most people wore them, collectively. As a provider, I can definitely say that as a personal observation.

We are in a HUGE increase in viral and bacterial/infections currently. In some ways I am feeling more burnt out this year than the last two years….

Its a madhouse right now.

Wash your hands ….

If the ship is experiencing a high rate of transmission of illness, and if the cast members could be spreading it, then I’m glad the ship’s captain is being proactive in reinstating a mask mandate. It protects both the cast members and the guests. And for anyone who doesn’t think kids aren’t getting hit hard this year just try to find children’s or infant liquid Tylenol in your local store. This may not be a huge deal for other cruise lines but for Disney, with the number of children that cruise with them, if they can’t find a place to evacuate a sick child with RSV or flu then it seems reasonable they would try to cut down on the spread a bit.
Half my FB time line is friends with sick kids with either RSV or Flu.

Thankful I don’t have kids.

LA is talking about going back. Not because of covid, but because of RSV. And RSV could be a bigger problem for Disney with so many kids on board.

It is literally because of Covid. Any googling will show all the articles of why the health department there is thinking about it, and its cause of Covid. Yes RSV is prevalent, but its not the reason they are thinking about mandates.

Then again, it is LA and they will never learn live with covid..

Don't mind the cast wearing masking. Forcing guests would be the issue.

Lets hope for the best and good health for all.

I would hope families with children who are sick with flu or rsv would keep them off the ship, but being there are no refunds for kids being sick with those issues, that is probably unlikely. (EDIT: I am wrong on this one I think because any covid like symptom allows a change in sail date on the website apparently ) I recently went to a show where the kid behind me was coughing non stop, and her mom giving her things for her throat cause she kept saying her throat was hurting. Obviously was sick and feeling crappy, but still went anyway

Last edited:
Maybe masks are coming back for crew, not just for Covid but of other viruses going about. Sick is sick and I dont thing we want a server, serving up coughing up a storm because of a cold. I know so many ill right now.. It's crazy.. some covid, but many with the standard cold/flu and they are miserable. I personally have learned in flu season I am masking on my crowded train commute to avoid the other nasty stuff. The other day a woman who was obviously ill, was commuting and hacking up a lung and was obviously miserable. Felt bad for her, she should have been on her couch.

Just off the wish and crew weren’t wearing masks, honestly not sure I saw any wearing on. Felt great to finally cruise again since Feb 2020 and have it be normal.
I'm glad you got to cruise again and enjoyed yourself. How did you like the Wish?

Last edited:
As long as the passengers don't need to wear them, I don't care what the crew does. I assume if there is somewhat of a outbreak within the crew, they would do that out of caution, to not lose many members of the crew for down time. Losing crew due to quarantine could cancel entire ship trips. Personally, I'd cancel my trip if they were required for guests. Thousands of dollars to wear a mask is just not for me

Is this only on the dream?
Same I cruise in January and if they go that route I would cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!