Marine Corp Marathon

This will be my third MCM. I think the packet pick-up issue is really a matter of timing. My first year I went late afternoon on Thursday and didn't have much of a wait, last year I went for the opening and ended up in a long line that just got longer by the time I left. I'll probably go first thing again just to get it over with and not have to worry about it. Like Disney, the rush for the official merchandise is amazing, and this year is the 40th, so will probably be bigger than usual.

For the race - that first mile is crazy. The corrals are not assigned, so you have to self-seed and hope the people around you have put themselves in the right corral. I just use that bit to make sure I got out slow and wait until things open up after the big Rosslyn uphill before I pick up my pace. Don't be like the yahoo near me last year who got impatient, bounded up onto the grass median loudly grumbling his disdain for us slow runners and promptly stumbled in a hole and rolled into a sign post. Ended his race less than a quarter mile in.

The distances you have to walk before and after the race are deceptive. Bag drop is in the Pentagon parking lot...but you have to get there and the slog from the street or the metro is significant, then you still need to cross the giant parking lot and work your way up the freeway to your corral. It will take longer then you think it will, so plan for that. Same thing at the end of the race. You cross the finish, get your medal, pic with the monument, and food...then you have a long forced march partly uphill to get to a place where you can meet up with others. The metro is a great way to get around but the platforms will be jam packed with people and they sometimes close the stations when they get to capacity at the end of the race. Last year I bought a parking spot just outside the finisher's village with Parking Panda and parked there Saturday evening so it was just a quck walk to the car at the end of the race. Way easier than waiting for a shuttle or to get into the metro station.

There's great support everywhere but the threee-ish miles on the 14th St Bridge, which is pretty empty. I carried my own water both times and that's the only place I actually used it.

Congratulations on your 3rd MCM! Thanks for the great information :)

I'm flying in, so I plan on being there on the first day of the expo.

The morning trek reminds me of the Princess start, but longer. I'm hoping it will be a good warm up for my hamstring. I always try to get to races early because I hate being in the very back of my corral. I would rather get there and people watch. Much less stress.

Excellent tip on the parking!

Guy who fell into the hole? Just wow.

I just ran the Marine Corps 17.75 to get my entry into the 40th MCM. The Marines definitely like to plan challenging hilly courses. I have done the Marine Corps Half twice and Hospital Hill is definitely a challenge at mile 11, the hills on the 17.75k course puts that to shame. Hopefully the MCM isn't as hilly.

I just ran the Marine Corps 17.75 to get my entry into the 40th MCM. The Marines definitely like to plan challenging hilly courses. I have done the Marine Corps Half twice and Hospital Hill is definitely a challenge at mile 11, the hills on the 17.75k course puts that to shame. Hopefully the MCM isn't as hilly.

Congratulations! I heard it was a really challenging course.

The MCM isn't too hilly. There are some gentle ones as you leave the river, a few bridges, and that one last short & steep climb to the finish.

I agree that the MCM isn't too hilly and those hills are spread out. Out of the 3 local Marine events (17.75k. Historic Half, and MCM) it probably has the least severe terrain.

Thanks John and Slogger!

I feel a lot better knowing that the terrain isn't quite as terrible as some of the blogs make it seem. I'll make sure to keep the hill training about once a week. I think it will just benefit my overall conditioning.

pigletliz----probably the hardest parts are the long walk to the corrals in the morning, the finish line festival walk, and the bridge at mile 20 back to Virginia..otherwise known as "the longest mile".
So much awesomeness from start to finish that it's hard to remember a real negative.

pigletliz----probably the hardest parts are the long walk to the corrals in the morning, the finish line festival walk, and the bridge at mile 20 back to Virginia..otherwise known as "the longest mile".
So much awesomeness from start to finish that it's hard to remember a real negative.

It's funny how everyone remembers that bridge at mile 20. You're tired and after so much great support along the mall it's just kind of quiet and desolate. But just push through and you'll get to some great support in Crystal City.

The bridge isn't all bad. For one, if you're on it, you know you made it past the Beat the Bridge cutoff (assuming you're not running for that woman who sent her team across a park to save time, that is). Plus, I liked being able to wave at the people in the boats, take some time to check in with myself to make sure I was ready for the second half of the race, and listen to the sounds of nature considering nearly every other time I cross that bridge I hear nothing but car engines and horns. :)

Last edited:
The bridge isn't all bad. For one, if you're on it, you know you made it past the Beat the Bridge cutoff (assuming you're not running for that woman who sent her team across a park to save time, that is). Plus, I liked being able to wave at the people in the boats, take some time to check in with myself to make sure I was ready for the second half of the race, and listen to the sounds of nature considering nearly every other time I cross that bridge I hear nothing but car engines and horns. :)

I wasn't worried about the beat the bridge deadline, but I was totally zoned out on the bridge and hardly remember seeing the water or boats. Definitely in my own personal fog at that time.
Thankfully Dunkin Donuts was handing out donut holes just a few minutes after the bridge and the last mile or two seemed to be filled with Marines shouting their "encouragement" to get your butt to the finish.

What happened with the woman going across a park, I haven't heard that one?

It's funny how everyone remembers that bridge at mile 20. You're tired and after so much great support along the mall it's just kind of quiet and desolate. But just push through and you'll get to some great support in Crystal City.
My friend calls that bridge "The 14th Street Soul Sucker" and I have to agree, at least on race days. It's about two miles from the time you get on the bridge to the time you turn off the highway into Crystal City. It's the only place I have ever felt like I needed my own water and I was really glad to have it. I run the bridge at least once a week April-October and it still doesn't help me get over it. This year I will look for the boaters.

The last hill going up to the finish isn't all that steep; the hills in Rosslyn (mile 2) and Rock Creek Park (mile 6?) are worse, but they come when your legs are fresh.

I do think the walk after the finish line is that hardest part of the race.

DH and I will be doing MCM this year. It will be the first marathon for both of us and we are very excited! He grew up around there and still has family and friends in the area so it will be a great trip.

Wow, just read the story. Unbelievable. So this is one of the few marathons on my list and the only one the my wife has pledged to run. How does the lottery work and what are the realistic chances of getting in? Also, didn't know about the cut off times. I know every races has got a time limit, but seems that over 8 thousand were plucked from the course last year. I'd hate to be one of those but that make the race and medal and accomplishment even more special. What is the pace that has to be maintained?

Thanks

Wow, just read the story. Unbelievable. So this is one of the few marathons on my list and the only one the my wife has pledged to run. How does the lottery work and what are the realistic chances of getting in? Also, didn't know about the cut off times. I know every races has got a time limit, but seems that over 8 thousand were plucked from the course last year. I'd hate to be one of those but that make the race and medal and accomplishment even more special. What is the pace that has to be maintained?

Thanks

You have to maintain a 14 min/mile pace. I looked at my runDisney Marathon times from 2013 and 2015 and I probably would have been pulled in 2013 (I was averaging 14:10/mile at the 20 mile point) but I was about 11:50/mile this year at the 20 mile point. Hopefully the weather cooperates this October (not too hot or raining) and I can at least maintain the same pace from this January.

So when is everyone starting their training and what plans are you using?
I'm a 3 times per week runner (and also crosstrain at least 3 times) and plan to stick with that, but increase the mileage from the 15-18 miles per week I'm currently running starting in June. 15 miles is the longest I've ever run at a time, so I'm a little nervous about how well my knees and shins are going to take the longer runs. I'll be doing a beginner type plan that peaks at one 20 mile run.

I have already started, I am using the runDisney marathon time improvement plan. I used the runDisney Dopey plan for this years races and it worked out well so I figured I would try this plan out to see if I can lower my time. If it gets to be too much I will just go back to the standard Disney training plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter