March Break at the Yacht Club! - UPDATED 07/21

Enjoying your trip report. We, too, are a family of three, with a 13-yr-old DS, so I enjoy the common ground we share. (And I, too, coddle my "ever responsible" son, and am not ashamed to admit it:thumbsup2). Also, I'm an oatmeal lover, and the simple pleasure of finding a good bowl of real (not instant) oatmeal (with butter and brown sugar;)) while travelling a thing that rates high up there on my "favorites" of the trip list!!

Enjoying your trip report. We, too, are a family of three, with a 13-yr-old DS, so I enjoy the common ground we share. (And I, too, coddle my "ever responsible" son, and am not ashamed to admit it:thumbsup2). Also, I'm an oatmeal lover, and the simple pleasure of finding a good bowl of real (not instant) oatmeal (with butter and brown sugar;)) while travelling a thing that rates high up there on my "favorites" of the trip list!!

And cranberries, and raisins. Mmmm.

I loved mixing the brown sugar with some dried cranberries in my oatmeal. :)

It is high time for another installment!

On Monday morning we woke up and the rain was gone and the weather was gorgeous, and it stayed gorgeous for the rest of our time at WDW. First up I took some room view pictures with the sun shining. The view was definitely growing on me.

179_small.jpg

178_small.jpg

177_small.jpg

When I looked down I was excited because I thought this might be the Matthew McConaughey tree, but sadly we didn’t see Matthew's or Johnny Depp’s face in the tree at any time during our stay.

180_small.jpg

Today we were heading over to HS, so after our morning routine we went out to the boat dock to take a wonderful morning boat ride. Love riding the boats at Disney. Our only complaint about these boats is that the seating is mostly inside and we prefer sitting in the open air seats on the boats.

On this day I used one of the great tips picked up from the DIS. In this case, special thanks go to Dee for taking the time to educate me on the best bag to use for our style of park touring. We don’t take much with us to the parks since we only spend a few hours in a park at a time. I do like to have my wallet, sun glasses and camera though, so I do need some sort of purse/bag. This means that my husband and son carry nothing and get to go through the no bags line, I usually have to wait for the bag check and meet them on the other side. Not anymore! Using the wisdom gained on these boards I came prepared this morning with a drawstring bag which was easily folded up and stashed in my pocket. This meant that I could easily carry my wallet, camera and sun glasses in my hand until we were in the park and then they went into the bag which had two straps like a backpack. This is a very good tip!

Here is the entrance and line for guest with bags.

182_small.jpg

Here is the entrance we used.

183_small.jpg

I love seeing the Sorcerer’s Hat. It is almost as welcoming as walking down Main Street.

185_small.jpg

First up at HS is this…

187_small.jpg

Our family loves Tower of Terror, but my husband loves it a little less each time, so he only rode it once this trip. I love the queue, both outside and in. This has to be one of the best queues at WDW.

195_small.jpg

Here is our red-neck ride photo. We are the three on the left in the middle row. My husband looks relaxed, my son has the typically nonchalant pose of a teenager, and I look like I’m freaking out a bit.

196_small.jpg

We had a lunch reservation at Sci-Fi, so after TOT we wandered through the park in the general direction of the restaurant.

Along the way we stopped at the umbrella. Thanks to the DIS we knew to step on the grate to activate the rain.

199_small.jpg

Next up we stopped by one of our Disney growth charts. We have a few different spots where we have the same picture taken on each trip. I love seeing how my son has changed over the years. Anyone else have Disney growth charts?

Here is my husband and son in 2010.

202_2010_small.jpg

And here they are in 2012. This was both a growth chart and an attitude chart, since they were more willing to pose in 2010.

202_small.jpg

My husband looks exactly the same, right down to the wardrobe. I didn’t realize he had a uniform for trips to HS.

Took a moment to admire the Muppet fountain along the way.

211_small.jpg

And they we arrived at the Sci-Fi.

213_small.jpg

The food at the Sci-Fi isn’t that great but we all love the atmosphere. It is so much fun. There was a great waiter who would talk along with some of the clips and it was quite funny how he had the entire show memorized.

223_small.jpg

237_small.jpg

276_small.jpg

For lunch my husband and I had the smoked turkey sandwich with cucumber salad. The sandwich was very good, but we could easily have shared the meal as they served a lot of food. The salad had too much dressing but it still tasted good. My son had the hamburger and onion rings which were good, and we both had a milkshake which tasted great but was so thick that it was difficult to drink with the straw.

At the end of the meal our waitress came over and apologized for the slow service. We hadn’t noticed it was slow and we hadn’t complained, but it was still nice of her to apologize if she felt it wasn’t good enough. Along with the unnecessary apology she handed us a fast pass for any ride. (I’m sure you can guess where we used it.)

After lunch we headed over to see Lights, Motors, Action. I love this show and think it is a great way to spend some time. We last saw it in 2007 and I missed Herbie this time.

After the show we wandered over to the Pixar area and used the Fast Pass to ride Toy Story Mania. The stand-by line was 150 minutes so it was great to have the pass. We thought this was a fun ride, but not so great that I would want to wait 150 minutes for it.

286_small.jpg

After Toy Story we headed back to the boats for a ride back to the YC. These two guys greeted us on our return to the resort.

293_small.jpg

Well that is enough prattling on for one day. Next up, wandering around the world in search of supper.

Awesome, Janet! I have to look for the umbrella - where is it??

I have a tiny drawstring bag and I am SO gonna use it!

Awesome, Janet! I have to look for the umbrella - where is it??

I have a tiny drawstring bag and I am SO gonna use it!

The umbrella is in the Streets of Americas section, not far from the Lights, Motors, Action Show (or at least on the same street as the show, I think)

The drawstring bag isn't necessary for the World Showcase entrance to Epcot, but it is a must for Hollywood Studios.

I've been counting down your trip for you. Have a great time!

Glad to have you back Janet. We're planning on taking a trip (well several trips, we'll be there 10 days!) to DHS. I'm planning to take a picture of my kids by that snowman. Thanks for the idea!

10 days! How wonderfully soon. :cool1:

LOL!!! Ah, Internet misunderstandings! Actually we won't be at the World until mid June.... but we'll be there FOR 10 days when we go! I wish it were only 10 days because the waiting at this point feels very tortuous. Anyway, sorry for the confusion! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

LOL!!! Ah, Internet misunderstandings! Actually we won't be at the World until mid June.... but we'll be there FOR 10 days when we go! I wish it were only 10 days because the waiting at this point feels very tortuous. Anyway, sorry for the confusion! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Ah, that little word "in" makes all the difference. :)

On this day I used one of the great tips picked up from the DIS. In this case, special thanks go to Dee for taking the time to educate me on the best bag to use for our style of park touring. We don’t take much with us to the parks since we only spend a few hours in a park at a time. I do like to have my wallet, sun glasses and camera though, so I do need some sort of purse/bag. This means that my husband and son carry nothing and get to go through the no bags line, I usually have to wait for the bag check and meet them on the other side. Not anymore! Using the wisdom gained on these boards I came prepared this morning with a drawstring bag which was easily folded up and stashed in my pocket. This meant that I could easily carry my wallet, camera and sun glasses in my hand until we were in the park and then they went into the bag which had two straps like a backpack. This is a very good tip!

Here is the entrance and line for guest with bags.

182_small.jpg

Here is the entrance we used.

183_small.jpg

Fantastic update Janet!

Not a bad view by day... Can I take these yet for my view file or do I still have to wait?

Thanks for the shoutout on the drawstring bag tip. I am a reformed pack mule. I think I may have been Queen of the pack mules- why, yes, I DO have sticky notes and a calculator in my backpack ...

But the whole skip-the-bagcheck-line-with-a-drawstring-bag method has shown me the error of my former ways. Love being able to spread this piece of wisdom to others.

Next up we stopped by one of our Disney growth charts. We have a few different spots where we have the same picture taken on each trip. I love seeing how my son has changed over the years. Anyone else have Disney growth charts?

Here is my husband and son in 2010.

202_2010_small.jpg

And here they are in 2012. This was both a growth chart and an attitude chart, since they were more willing to pose in 2010.

202_small.jpg

My husband looks exactly the same, right down to the wardrobe. I didn’t realize he had a uniform for trips to HS.

THAT is hilarious!

Sounds like fun at the Sci Fi. :woohoo: on the surprise Fast Passes! Close scores there.

Oh, my, I was just getting ready to post when I discovered I missed a couple of updates while I was away. Going back to check those out now.

Dee

All caught up, even if it was out of order.

You are allowed to say that oatmeal was one of your favorite things about Disney if I can say that the CMs sharpening my pencil was one of the things that most impressed me about club level.

I love your description of your meeting with Teena. She is such a gem! :hug: I love the missing Noodle flyer. Well, not what it represents, but the execution.

What a great night at MK, with the parade, some classics, some never before tried rides and some haven't done it for awhile attractions.

I love that you let your son have some freedom and loved even more that he was back before you were. We gave our teen a lot of freedom in Atlantis. He was always back before his deadline and he really appreciated that we trusted him.

You have never been on Peter Pan?!? We love that ride! But we will NEVER wait in line for it. The queue is boring. The queue is really hot. And the wait times lie. We only ride this first thing in the morning or with a fast pass.

We haven't seen the Country Bear Jamboree in years, I don't think the kids have ever seen this show.

Can't wait to read more about your trip!

Fantastic update Janet!

Not a bad view by day... Can I take these yet for my view file or do I still have to wait?

Dee

You now have my blessing to take my room view pics (although I expect to add one more night shot in a future update. ;) )

All caught up, even if it was out of order.

You are allowed to say that oatmeal was one of your favorite things about Disney if I can say that the CMs sharpening my pencil was one of the things that most impressed me about club level.

I love your description of your meeting with Teena. She is such a gem! :hug: I love the missing Noodle flyer. Well, not what it represents, but the execution.

What a great night at MK, with the parade, some classics, some never before tried rides and some haven't done it for awhile attractions.

I love that you let your son have some freedom and loved even more that he was back before you were. We gave our teen a lot of freedom in Atlantis. He was always back before his deadline and he really appreciated that we trusted him.

You have never been on Peter Pan?!? We love that ride! But we will NEVER wait in line for it. The queue is boring. The queue is really hot. And the wait times lie. We only ride this first thing in the morning or with a fast pass.

We haven't seen the Country Bear Jamboree in years, I don't think the kids have ever seen this show.

Can't wait to read more about your trip!

I love that you list the pencil sharpener. It does seem like a perfect partner story to my love of the oatmeal.

Meeting Teena was fantastic, and she is a good sport. As soon as I pulled out the flyer she was right up for the pose.

It is so much fun watching a teen grow into a responsible adult. I knew that if we let him go with unlimited freedom he would come home ridiculously early. We had a meeting at the school today with the special ed. teacher and the vice principal and they had so many glowing things to say - it was nice to hear. He will be done high school in 3 more years, so all we need to do is keep this responsible streak alive for the next few years and then all will be right with the world. (As long as we don't do him in for the sulky teen attitude that seems to rear its head every other day.)

As for not having been to Peter Pan before, I can't explain why. Maybe we thought it was a little kids ride or a spinner, but somehow it never made our list. Of course I couldn't convince the sulky teenager that he should try it, so he is still leading a life free of Peter Pan memories.

Thanks to everyone who is reading along.

love the report! the growth chart snowman pictures are adorable. you've inspired me to pick a landmark of some sort to take pictures of M&P when we go in a couple weeks. it's our first trip, and i love the idea of starting a tradition from the very beginning. thank you, dear janet!! :)

Fun trip report!! :)

My step daughter has just turned 13. We are officially changing her name to MOODY JUDY. :rolleyes: it's also a chore keeping her in age appropriate clothing. I think that is the one thing that gives teenage boys the edge over the girls. My step son is 10. He would wear a paper bag if I put it out for him!!

Our growth chart picture is in front of Mickey in the gift shop just outside of Mickey's Philharmagic! Every single year!! love it!

can't wait to read more!!:goodvibes

love the report! the growth chart snowman pictures are adorable. you've inspired me to pick a landmark of some sort to take pictures of M&P when we go in a couple weeks. it's our first trip, and i love the idea of starting a tradition from the very beginning. thank you, dear janet!! :)

We have a better growth chart at Epcot. I was digging out the pictures last night so I can use them in a future installment of this report. It was fun to look back at them.

I like the idea that even though it is your first trip, you are already talking about it being a tradition for your future trips. Clearly you are very wise!

Fun trip report!! :)

My step daughter has just turned 13. We are officially changing her name to MOODY JUDY. :rolleyes: it's also a chore keeping her in age appropriate clothing. I think that is the one thing that gives teenage boys the edge over the girls. My step son is 10. He would wear a paper bag if I put it out for him!!

Our growth chart picture is in front of Mickey in the gift shop just outside of Mickey's Philharmagic! Every single year!! love it!

can't wait to read more!!:goodvibes

Whenever I see the teenage girls at my son's school, I'm grateful to have a boy! He too will wear anything.

Great report so far. We are going in sep with our 2 kids and by reading your report made me realize my 15 year old will probably have same problems with the sleeping lol..i definetly need to do the growth picture..we havnt been back there since 2004...so will be huge difference...very funny :rotfl: about husbands uniform
Good tip about the bag :thumbsup2

I'm confused about the drawstring bag at DHS. Why a drawstring bag? And what exactly is a drawstring bag? And why only at DHS?

Great report so far.

Thanks! Glad to have you reading along.

I'm confused about the drawstring bag at DHS. Why a drawstring bag? And what exactly is a drawstring bag? And why only at DHS?

It doesn't have to be a drawstring bag, just a bag that can fold up flat and fit in your pocket. There are lots of drawstring bags out there now that have two strings so you can wear it as a backpack - those are just extra handy because they are easy to carry.

For us it was only DHS that had line ups long enough to matter. I also used the bag trick at MK, but the bag check line wasn't that long.

And since we stayed at the YC, getting in to Epcot was always a breeze, since the world showcase entrance never had a line up. :love:

Here is a picture of the world showcase entrance that we used to get into Epcot. Not a great picture, but it does show what the crowds are like at that entrance - no crowds at all! Since there was never any line up, it was easy to bring a bag into Epcot since it only took a moment to have them check it.

566_small.jpg

Here is a hideous picture of me, showing the drawstring bag I use on my trips. This one was made by a DIS member, Mickeystoontown. She has lots of custom fabrics and on most of her bags she stitches a mouseears pattern, but I asked for mine to be generic.

P1000403.jpg

The idea is if you carry/wear everything in (camera, waterbottle, sunglasses) and fold the drawstring bag and carry it in your pocket, you don't have a bag to check and you won't be bogged down at the bag check line. Then, once you are in the park, you can throw anything you no longer want to carry and you are now hands free.

Here is a hideous picture of me, showing the drawstring bag I use on my trips. This one was made by a DIS member, Mickeystoontown. She has lots of custom fabrics and on most of her bags she stitches a mouseears pattern, but I asked for mine to be generic.

P1000403.jpg

The idea is if you carry/wear everything in (camera, waterbottle, sunglasses) and fold the drawstring bag and carry it in your pocket, you don't have a bag to check and you won't be bogged down at the bag check line. Then, once you are in the park, you can throw anything you no longer want to carry and you are now hands free.

Love this picture! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter