Marathon Weekend 2023

You might want to reach out to @DopeyBadger on these forums to see if one of his custom marathon training plans would be a good fit for you. His plans are, at heart, time-based rather than distance-based which can result in more manageable long training run mileages. For example, I train at basically a 4:00 marathon pace and my longest runs top out at 16 miles. At your estimated pace, you'd likely be under 15 miles for a maximum long training run. I'll let him get into more of the specifics if you choose to explore that route, though.

Assuming your HM time is around a 2:24 HM, then I'd put your long run pace around 12:30 min/mile if continuous and 13:30 min/mile if using run/walk. With a continuous duration limit of 2.5 hrs, the 12:30 min/mile would be maximally 12 miles. With a run/walk duration limit of 3 hrs, the 13:30 min/mile would be maximally 13.3 miles or so. Ideally your peak week ends up somewhere above 6 hours total. I prefer to see no more than 30% of the weekly mileage in the LR. I've done a higher %, but I get more iffy the higher we go. But ultimately based on your estimated pace, I'm fairly confident you wouldn't need to be 15-20 mile training runs to comfortably complete the marathon as long as you're willing to do about 4-5 hrs total during any of the other six days per week (keeping in mind you don't actually need to do 6-7 days per week). Ideally no less than five days per week, although I've done four days per week total on a few occasions with success.
Thank you both very much for the replies! I have been looking back at many of @DopeyBadger's guidance on older marathons, and I'm learning a lot about different training options w/ a slower pace. I appreciate your feedback!

I've been absent from this thread since shortly after the 2022 marathon. That was my first marathon, and this board was a huge support for me. I feel almost disloyal about having been away for so long, but...

I'm planning on attempting to register for Dopey tomorrow. I'm sure I've missed a ton of good information. Would anyone mind giving me a quick update on how quickly this is expected to sell out? Any pointers to make it more likely I get in?

I just found out power is off tmrw from 8 to 11 am! Hopefully I will registered by then. I live in the middle of nowhere, so cell phone service isn't always very fast. I'm trying for goofy, if not then just the full.

Good luck tmrw everyone!

Just a couple last minute reminders for tomorrow if you are using multiple browsers:

- Once you get into the registration page on one, don't close your other browsers until you are finished with your registration. After all, you are dealing with Disney's IT system and anything can happen.

- However, once you are finished with your registration, if you have other wait times that are close, consider offering them on this thread. You just need to copy the URL and send it directly to whoever is still waiting.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I know it's way too early to be thinking about this but with the retro theme this year, anyone think they might revert the courses back to what they were in the "retro" days. The earliest course map I could find was from 2011:

Attachments

• 2011_WDW+Marathon.jpg
    2011_WDW+Marathon.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 25
SAFD:

I’ve had less motivation to prolong my Disney or plan more Disney after returning from my last few trips. There are still so many things I love but I seem to get to do less of them and pay more to do them each time. I understand that’s life; I just wish it wasn’t encroaching so heavily on my happy place.

As for unpacking, I’ve lived in my current home for 11 years and still haven’t unpacked an unreasonable amount of stuff. If it weren’t for wanting to wear the things I packed again (and the necessity of not having dirty clothes stagnate) I could probably go weeks without unpacking.

I’ll be attempting to register for Dopey but will be happy with whatever I get tomorrow; even if things get crazy and there’s a sellout. My sister already registered with her Perfect Dopey link so I can head down for a vacation whether I sign up or not. She’s equally disenchanted with the current park experience, and New Year’s week while schools are out is the cherry on top of the crowded and unpleasant experience sundae, so our current plans are no parks this trip. She’s going to try to sign up my niece and nephew for the 5k and 10k. We’ve already got our Rescue Rangers costume assignments.

Omg - I have just noticed in the policies it says entrants must live in the US. We are from Australia and were planning on registering as it falls during our trip at the end of the year. Does anyone know if this policy is strict/enforced?!

Omg - I have just noticed in the policies it says entrants must live in the US. We are from Australia and were planning on registering as it falls during our trip at the end of the year. Does anyone know if this policy is strict/enforced?!

Are you sure that you are looking at the in-person races? The virtual are only available to those in the US, but usually the in-person races aren't limited to that.

Are you sure that you are looking at the in-person races? The virtual are only available to those in the US, but usually the in-person races aren't limited to that.
Oh dear - I was! Thank goodness I asked. I appreciate the quick response! Alarm is set for 11.30pm :)

The person I am planning on doing the Half Marathon with is working tomorrow and won't be able to register until her first break (which will be around noon). Would I be able to register for her? And if not, does the Half normally sell out quickly?

Words of advice....make sure she either has an account with all her information already populated--and you are logged in as her on some device, or else make sure she is already added to your account. This will save you time when registering. You will also need to add her expected finish time and shirt size.

Also, keep in mind that none of the registrations are finalized until you complete the entire transaction, i.e. any race in your cart is not guaranteed until you complete/pay for the entire cart.

I'm staying out for now, you can thank me for leaving you a spot :cutie:
same….
I was debating the logistics of taking off for race weekend followed by a cruise from the 16-20th but as much as I ❤️ Chip and Dale for the 10k vs Oswald and the overall aesthetic I think I’m going to save my $$$ to do Springtime Surprise pending distances/themes even though my AP is blocked out from park going during the weekend

Happy registration day! Some helpful links:

Historical Race Weekend Sell Out Timing

Registration Run-Down w/ Images! (A comprehensive run-down of the registration process) & Part 2

The ONLY things you can not change after registration are EMAIL ADDRESS, NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, and then GENDER (in that order). Everything else can be edited after the confirmation of your purchase. With that being said, you CAN NOT skip any question. You must put an answer on every question. So just put whatever is the fastest choice, and then MOVE ON. Speed. Speed. Speed.

Guess who's anxious? Although I got both my sister and husband helping, so I'm hoping we'll be ok? I'm already just staring at my computer having a really hard time getting any work done.

Good luck everyone! I hope everyone is able to register for whatever races they want, with no issues!
Hard same, nothing is happening before 10 AM. I'm trying, it ain't working 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter