Marathon Weekend 2021

For those who went last year...the shirts were pretty terrible quality right? I'm going medal only for my virtual if they give those who registered already the option to choose.
Yep, shirts were bad last year. If I sign up for the half, it’ll be medal-only.

I'm disappointed, as this was my first time registering. 💩
I don't know if I want to do the virtual option ? (Has anyone ever done that)??
The only possible bright side of this might be that someone cancels their DVC stays at BWV or AKL-V, and I can get my wait-list wish.:goodvibes
DH has done the virtual races. He can't have incomplete sets tho, and since he was signed up for every race this year, he *has* to do them (according to the rules he's set in his own mind). He actually does run them though. I think he likes that it forces him to get out and run (he's always very busy), but it's obviously not at all the same as far as atmosphere, camaraderie, etc. And it's mega hot here during the day, so he has to run after sunset (and risks run ins with wildlife where we live).

I've already run one virtual full this year with another likely happening next month.

Someone talk me out of doing another virtual full.

In January.

In Iowa.

Just for another medal and t-shirt I definitely don't need.

‘I’m not going to try to talk you out of it. I’m thinking of doing just the virtual marathon myself. Looking at the pricing, it’s much more in line with other virtual races if you go with the no shirt option. I think I paid $60 for the NYC virtual and Disney is coming in at $65 without a shirt. Not sure in what world that crappy new material shirt RunDisney has gone to is worth an extra $55, though!

I‘m looking at a March ultra and think the Disney virtual may help me keep a focus on my training between now and January, so I don’t slack off too much after the NYC virtual in late October. Maybe I’m going to have to stop saying I don’t like virtuals...

I'm gonna do the Virtual Dopey - I'm not a perfect Dopey so that's not the reason, but I've done Dopey the last 5 years and want to keep my streak going, so I'm doing it. I wish they would have kept it a live event since they cut the number of registrations and after what I saw visit the parks last week (I was there for 5 days) I figured they had a good control of the covid situation. Darn, I'm bummed though!!!

Not sure in what world that crappy new material shirt RunDisney has gone to is worth an extra $55, though!
And can someone explain why the 5K shirt - also a long sleeve tech shirt - is only $39 when the marathon one is $55? I don't understand how the medal is $25 more either. I mean, maybe it is a bit nicer...but $25 more?? Crazy.

For this virtual, I would actually prefer the shirt over the medal (even though I didn’t like the material of the shirts this past year). I might actually wear the shirts, where the medals just go in a shoebox at the moment.

Last edited:
May have missed it, but I'm assuming if we ordered the LE Magicband with the register we wouldn't be getting that even if we continue with the virtual option?

I am so sad....

Is anyone still planning on going to WDW that weekend anyway? We may still go and I was so looking forward to DATW...

I am. I cancelled a september free dining from star wars cancellation since I knew I had this january trip planned and I still plan to go. Still make some adjustments since that itenerary is based around Sat/Sun being run only/no parks days (first year I did dopey I did do parks after the half - regretted that on sunday. Had planned parks after full - didn't want to get out of the pool. So now I just plan for Sat/Sun to be race and rest days).

I am so sad....

Is anyone still planning on going to WDW that weekend anyway? We may still go and I was so looking forward to DATW...

Thinking about it. We had booked a quick trip for the holidays so we may consolidate back to just December.

May have missed it, but I'm assuming if we ordered the LE Magicband with the register we wouldn't be getting that even if we continue with the virtual option?

I am hoping for more information in the official email where we select what we want to do. I didn't pre-order any merch for W&D but maybe someone knows what was done for that?

Thinking about it. We had booked a quick trip for the holidays so we may consolidate back to just December.

I am hoping for more information in the official email where we select what we want to do. I didn't pre-order any merch for W&D but maybe someone knows what was done for that?

Pre-order merchandise is automatic refund. No virtual option.

I will get it a few days before I make my decision. I am sad that it is no happening right now.

I will have to look into the minutia, but on the surface, it looks like I will not even be given an option to run it virtually...Only US residents.

DH and I are still going. It’ll just be a calmer trip this year. We are both disappointed because we were finally running together and had great costumes planned. 2022 here we come.

I will get it a few days before I make my decision. I am sad that it is no happening right now.

I will have to look into the minutia, but on the surface, it looks like I will not even be given an option to run it virtually...Only US residents.

That has been the case for all races that went virtual - US only.

I am so sad....

I was really hoping runDisney wouldn't go virtual. This was to be my first marathon. My trip is already paid for with points/miles/free night certificates, so I still want to go. However, my running friend may not want to go now. She was already wavering about the airline travel. Ugh! Totally stinks. :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter