Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: My running goal has been adjusted a few times since registering for the Marathon Week 10k. Originally it was couch to 10k without walking. That became sub-60min 10k, which was reached in September with @DopeyBadger 's generous help. I upgraded my marathon week registration to HM and set a new goal of sub-2 HM, again coached by @DopeyBadger .

I took a hard tumble last week. Hands vs concrete pavement; I lost. Running on grass until MW just to be safe. :crutches:

Other than that training has gone very well. I just ran a sub-2 HM during my long run! #awesome coach #best training plan.

Here is what I said in April:
My goal for Marathon Weekend, no matter what I run, will be to have another fun trip with my mom, see new things at Disney, try new foods, and enjoy the race. I run so long at Disney because of not doing the tangents, veering off for characters, etc., that it doesn't make sense for me to set a time/PR goal. But I could try for a runDisney PR (4:43 marathon; 2:06 half).

My goals are the same! Have fun with my mom, try new restaurants, and have fun at the race. So far, my training is right on track :P

I may or may not go for a Disney PR - we'll see how many characters need their picture with me! :rotfl2:

An update on my plantar fasciitis - I was able to get my 10.5 miles in yesterday (on the high school track due to snow/rain/ice - woo 42 laps around an oval!) in my old pair of shoes. My foot felt about 87% during the run, but I can feel the soreness in it today. So I'm shutting it down until my new shoes come in. I'll probably try for a light run on Wednesday or Thursday, as long as the foot isn't hurting me in daily life. I have no doubt that I could complete the race, even if I completely stopped training today. But I don't want to do that.

I somehow lost the quote re: to carry a water bottle or not, but here's my answer should anyone care! I carry my own for halfs and fulls. Because I like to sip every 1/2 mile and whenever I feel like it rather than down a whole cup at a time. I'd love to not carry the bottle, but in the end it's worth it to have fluids exactly when I want them.

There shouldn’t be any need to break shoes in. If they’re what you normally run in (brand/model) give them a couple of runs to ensure that the fit and feel is consistent with previous pairs and you should be good to go.
Bolding is mine and here's why: I've run through 3 pairs of the same shoe make and model: no problems. But I just pulled out a new one of the same make and model to get a few runs in before the marathon... and they feel very different. More roomy, less pop, as if they were already worn out, despite being brand-new out of the box. I'm glad to know now! I have two more new pairs, so I can see if one of them feels better, or I can give this wonky pair a couple more runs to see if they get better, or both.

Another interesting thing I notice, it appears the marathon does not run through the Magic Kingdom toll booths (green is the marathon course).
Oh wow, I totally missed that bit!

I am very excited about the new map. Some thoughts:
1. Happy that the first 7 miles of the half and full aren't identical. I always disliked that about doing Dopey.
I'm of two minds on this, and will be interested to see how it actually hits me. What gets to me most in WDW races is the mental exhaustion from being constantly alert for other runners, the tangents, looking for characters, etc. The great thing about the first 7ish miles being the same was that I could mentally "turn off" a bit during the marathon and not think about tangents and characters, at least - it made that first chunk go by really quickly and easily. IDK if the new route will be more tiring, or will keep me occupied in a way that also make the miles go by quickly.

4. While the time in the parks may not be as plentiful as many want, I think the backstage parts are a lot more interesting. We get to run behind Mission: Space, WoL, and UoE. Plus, behind the Land. I almost prefer that to the parts on stage in parks.
Same! I love seeing what goes on behind the scenes.

5. If the temps are warm, the earlier start and course route should keep us shaded for more of the course than before? Time along Bear Island Road, in Animal Kingdom, and perhaps in BB. I'm assuming Western Way is better than the sunrise in our eyes on Osceola Parkway.
I ran on Beuna Vista a couple weeks ago - around 11am, on the stretch from CSR to BB. Some nice shade on the sidewalk and far lane!

8. I like the longer route around Crescent Lake by YC and BC. I wonder how the route around Boardwalk differs. Was that the route last year?
Last year was BW, but all previous years I ran it was YC/BC. I MUCH prefer YC/BC. I don't know why!

Last edited:
Now that we're just entering peak week of training for most everyone, how do your current goals compare to those you made in April? And for those that either didn't answer in April, or weren't around then but have joined us since, what are your goals for the weekend? A specific character you're hoping to snag a pic with? Getting a drink on course? Riding EE? Riding TOT/RnR? Participate in DATW or the meetup on Friday? Overcoming an adversity? Rise of the Resistance?
SAFD: Lets' see...

Same as always: survive the summer heat here in FL, arrive to race weekend healthy, enjoy the experience! I might add a weird time goal down the road, but it will depend a lot on my mood come race weekend.
Survived the summer heat of FL? Check!
Arrive to race weekend healthy? TBD, but I'm doing my best.
Enjoy the experience? TBD, but that's still the plan.
Time goal? A very good possibility, but will ultimately depend on how I feel when I get there. I'm leaving the door open!
New "goal": I'd like to do a batter job of getting pics during the race - using my own camera (phone). I won't have PhotoPass and don't want or need a bazillion pics of myself, but I'd like to do a better job documenting what I see on course. This may or may not pan out: I have a really hard time mentally running and thinking with my photographer brain lol!

Who is stalking the historic link url for waivers? Not me because I don't know what it is... but I hope somebody!

SAFD: I didn't state goals in April because I'm pretty sure I hadn't decided to participate in Marathon Weekend way back then! As I've said earlier, just hoping to rehab my ankle so I can finish Goofy with little to no pain. Hoping to get into Rise of the Resistance on Marathon Monday but my "B" goal there is to just get to lookie-loo around Galaxy's Edge generally.

I didn't share goals in April, but here are my current goals for the trip:
1. My 8yo son is running the 5k with me. I hope that he really loves the experience and it hooks him.
2. Slow down and enjoy the trip without running from park to park/ride to ride like we usually do. ROTR and GE will make this a challenge, but I hope to relax a bit.
3. Get the whole family on ROTR and Smuggler's Run
4. Have fun and take our time at the expo
5. Enjoy the last 4 miles of the marathon. I hope that the bonk doesn't hit to where I wish away that part of the race.
6. Sub 4 hours is always a goal for marathon, but it depends on picture stops. My guess is I will be closer to 4:10 with pics.

Anyone have a good ad blocking program for iOS? I’ve tried getting on to the boards on my phone and iPad numerous times the last couple days and it’s nearly impossible to be in for more than a page or two before I get a “you’ve been selected” ad.

Anyone have a good ad blocking program for iOS? I’ve tried getting on to the boards on my phone and iPad numerous times the last couple days and it’s nearly impossible to be in for more than a page or two before I get a “you’ve been selected” ad.
I don't even try on my phone anymore.

I use AdBlocker its icon is a blue shield with a checkmark. 0 problems with it.

Someone mentioned this a while ago (maybe in another thread) when I was having crazy issues: Ghostery. It’s pretty much just a different app web browser (kind of like Safari, Chrome, etc.), and it blocks all the pop ups. Works great for me.

Who is stalking the historic link url for waivers? Not me because I don't know what it is... but I hope somebody!

SAFD: I didn't state goals in April because I'm pretty sure I hadn't decided to participate in Marathon Weekend way back then! As I've said earlier, just hoping to rehab my ankle so I can finish Goofy with little to no pain. Hoping to get into Rise of the Resistance on Marathon Monday but my "B" goal there is to just get to lookie-loo around Galaxy's Edge generally.

I'm stalking! I hope my PR half PoT was enough to move me up one corral this year.

This is driving me crazy! It had been okay for a while, but now is happening constantly.

I've been getting the same thing. Makes visiting the boards very difficult. And you never know when the pop-up will come up.

SAFD: Looks like I didn’t do goals in April but they are as follows

1. Complete Dopey and have fun!
2. Run alongside and support my friend who is running her first half marathon.
3. Hopefully ride Rise of the Resistance!
4. Enjoy my time in the parks with my friend!

I don't even try on my phone anymore.
I've been getting the same thing. Makes visiting the boards very difficult. And you never know when the pop-up will come up.

I was having the same problem and it was making the board unusable. I installed AdGuard on my phone and iPad and haven’t had any problems since.

I have no doubt that I could complete the race, even if I completely stopped training today. But I don't want to do that.
I am there too. I had to cut my longest long run yesterday to 2/3 its length due to the icy conditions. I will try to get my weekly volume by adding a few 5k to my plan but only if it is safe. I was tender/stiif today as well, probably because of a change of gait on slippery conditions or fear of slipping. That is the time to trust our base and not risk injuries. Good luck!

i use Adblock pro. Haven’t seen those pop ups on my phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter