Marathon Weekend 2020

Well I didn't create any goals in April because I didn't register in April. But pretty much my one thing that hasn't changed with Disney over the years: finish what I started.

Which is hard at times when you and your trainer aren't exactly on the same page about you doing Dopey...Normally I tip my hat to him in the last nine months we've been working together. And there has been several in the past nine months (thanks surgery and chronic illness)But this is one thing I'm not budging on. I'm doing Dopey, whether he likes it or not.

But because of foundation or lack there of we're not planning to taper. Probably stick to around two hour long runs. Just got to make sure I don't go overboard. I was supposed to do 3 1/2 hours last night. But was looking at the clock and know I needed shower and sleep so pulled at 2:40 (though technically that was over what the original plan was at the start of the week). So I stopped there. If I had known just how much I was not going to sleep I would have just kept going.

Which is going to be even more interesting the weekend before Dopey since I got invited to go with a friend to MagFest in the DC area. Let me tell you packing when leaving this time was a bit more then a headache. I had to figure out Dopey, this trip I'm on a flight for right now, Christmas in Knoxville, and MagFest.

I'm pretty sure I forgot something. There's a couple of things I'm planning to get and ship to Knoxville but that doesn't count. Actually I do know I forgot something since I just realized I forgot long pants if the weather turns nippy. Crap. Well at least that won't be a problem this week?

Also its really weird to know that I'm not coming back from this upcoming Disney World trip without a medal (I actually thought about one of those fun runs but between Hagrids and ROTR, and my brain going essentially 'LOL what's sleep?' last night I decided sleeping until we had to get up on departure day was the better option).

SAFD:
Goals for Marathon Weekend:
  • Run a fun and healthy Dopey! I broke my RunDisney injury/illness curse this year with Goofy, now I'd like to extend that success to Dopey. This is looking less and less likely. I did something to my hamstring late in Space Coast training that is causing it to seize up during runs. It’s not strained, it’s just not acting properly. Unfortunately, I have to manage my pace carefully to keep it from worsening during runs. Two weeks off post Space Coast doesn’t seem to have helped, either. I’m getting very tired of dry needling and electrostim needles to loosen it up afterwards. I’m at a loss as to what to do at this point. It looks like Dopey is going to be slow and careful, though.
  • Attend and enjoy the Hurricane Hannah's meet up and pre-race meets. It's always great to put faces with the screen names, new and old! Still very much looking forward to this one!
  • Enjoy another DATW! I drink more during that event than I do during the rest of the year combined. It's a great way to finish off a race weekend. Also still looking forward to this one! All the margaritas!

SAFD:
My April goal may have been a little optimistic.
my main goal of completing my first 10k still stands, and training for it has been going pretty well. But the time goal has gone completely out the window, and I’m okay with that. I want to enjoy the atmosphere and just try and have fun with it.

Now that we're just entering peak week of training for most everyone, how do your current goals compare to those you made in April?
  • First, I want to run for fun! After this year’s heat warning, I threw out all time goals and decided to run for fun. It was the right call! This is still the plan! But, I’m hoping to shave some time off last year’s marathon. While I don’t plan on watching the clock very closely, I do want to keep moving with just a few detours.
  • Next, stop for photos when I want to stop for photos. I stopped 10 times for photos this year and walked Main Street so I could take a video of the experience. I won’t need to stop that many times next year, but won’t hesitate to stop for favorites like my guy Pluto! Yes, stopping for Pluto is a must! He was the only character I stopped for during W&D. We’ll see who else is out there, but I only plan on stopping for my favorites (I have the 5k and 10k to stop for character photos too.)
  • Next year I am stopping for a delicious margarita in Mexico! I didn’t want to stop this year because if it was a one-and-done, I didn’t want my finish line photo to be with a drink in my hand (NOT judging). Next year I will proudly cross the finish line in style! Ugh! I still really want to do this but the required detour from the course makes me nervous. I just hope I’m feeling strong enough at mile 25.5 to make this goal a reality!
  • Finally, I would like to improve on last year’s time. I won’t be running for time, but let’s just say I have plenty of room for improvement. Fitness wise, I think I am very much on track to meet last year’s B-goal. Again, with plenty of room for improvement I should easily improve on last year’s time!

SAFD:

✓- Train
So far, so good! I've kept up pretty well and PRd my check-in Half.

✓- Come up with great costumes for the 10K and full
I suppose "great is debatable, but I have two I'm happy with.

- Finish my first marathon in front of the balloon ladies
- Have fun and get photos
- Find someone my pace to run with
- Ride Everest
- Attend meetups and DATW
I'm confident these will happen!

- Finish line treat -- Dole Whip or Margarita?
The course doesn't really line up for either of these very well, but my family is at the Boardwalk, so I may recruit them for an on-course delivery!

All of my April Goals are still intact. I cannot believe that we are so close now to Marathon Weekend. Only twelve days and we are heading to Orlando!

Finish my first Dopey healthy - Training is going pretty good. I am just waiting for something bad happen, last minute. Like getting a cold or so, that happened so often to me :-(

Run the 5K with my Girlfriend - Ok, my Girlfriends knee allows us just a Walk! Anyway, doing the 5K together with her means a lot to me.

Do a DLS at the Half Marathon - Joined the Villians Club and looking forward to do the DLS.

Run the Full under 5h :rolleyes1 (maybe) - Still a goal ;)

Get another / better photo with Snow White, ... Got one with her when I entered Epcot for the last miles of the Marathon in 2017, but we both looked in different cameras :rolleyes: - Still a goal ;) And she is still the only Character I am stoping for. Ah, depending on my time, maybe I join Team Finishline Margarita or Beer :-)

Get my Medals and Bibs signed by Snow White & Dopey Celebrating my Victory on Sunday at Storybook Dining (?) - Still a goal, got an ADR for Storybook Dining, so the only thing I have to do, finishing Dopey ;-D

Meet @DopeyBadger in person, missed him in 2017, I was too late at the Disboard Meeting Point - Still a goal ;)

SAFD guest version:

• Celebrate my 25th in the best way possible by completing a Dopey together
  • All of my RD races are for fun and I have specific performance goals. We will stop whenever it strikes our fancy and both have enough experience to feel comfortable about finishing.
  • Starting the races healthy and did not think this would be the case. The end of 2018 and first half of 2019 were a bit challenging. Extra happy that I do no have any residual issues from my spinal fracture in Sep.
  • Eat lots of good food and make a light saber in Savi’s after the races. Very much looking forward to visiting GE for the first time.
  • Try not to be bummed about the current state of EPCOT as we run through.

This year, along with my immediate family making its third annual trip for marathon weekend, we have extended friends and family joining the fun for their first ever runDisney races. They are all doing different races so with me doing Dopey, while I may not be actually running with them, I will be there for all their races at the start/finish. So, my main goal is something I do not have much control over and that is that all my friends and family have as much fun in January as we have had the last few years.

huskies90 other goals (that I have more control over):

Finish my first Dopey
Do lots of park time and enjoy the races
Get lots of photos, especially with rare characters.
Have fun
(secret goal: Finish the marathon under 4 hours)
My main goals in April were to finish all 4 races and have fun with my immediate family and some extended family / friends who are coming down for their first runDisney races. Not much has changed since April. Training is going well. I have remained healthy and have completed all the runs on my training plan so far. Assuming things continue for the next 4 weeks, I am confident about finishing. As for breaking 4 hours on the marathon (secret goal), based on where I am in training, I feel it will be doable if the conditions are good - we have good running weather, I am healthy and I am rested enough from the other races and park time that precede it.

Most of my goals related to enjoying the experience, so I know that won’t be a problem. I just finished the Dallas Marathon weekend series - a 10k yesterday and half this morning so I am feeling better about next month. My time at the halfway point of this year’s marathon was 15:37/mile. Today was 13:42 and I deliberately walked the last four miles to see how my time would be with my Dopey strategy. This was my first timed 10k and half in several months and I felt very good.

I did not make goals in April, either!

Main goal is to enjoy the first three races and stop for every pic I want to stop for! I need to take the marathon more seriously because, honestly, the thought of being out there longer than I already am just sounds awful. But I would love to be brave enough to ride Everest during!

Let’s hear it for those of us that didn’t make goals in April!

My main goal is to have fun and finish Dopey with a true smile on my face. Aside from injuring my hip that has caused me to have to switch from running to walking all is going well. I’m also hoping I can overcome my extreme shyness and anxiety and meet some of you at the HH meetup or even DATW.

SAFD:
April goal:
My main goal always with runDisney races is to have fun!
I don’t know that I can ever repeat my PR all distances from 2018, but I would love to go into these races feeling as good as I did then, with each race effort feeling easy(ish).

Still my goal! Have fun! As for the second part, I’m hoping. I’ve had a tough fall. I was pretty burned out by the end of my fall marathon training plan, then I ran the MCM 50k two weeks later (most of which was in the rain), and then toured DC for three and half days - walking a lot. Then on to W&D 5k and half. Those were a struggle. I was tired. When I got back home, motivation was low. I skipped some runs and shortened others. I had one more marathon at the end of November. I ran it with some friends and we walked a little in the second half, which probably was good for me. I took Thanksgiving week off. I’m now back on my schedule. Most runs have been at an easy-ish pace. I’m trying to run as many of these miles with friends as possible to help me get out there and get them done. I think I’m feeling better, and things are starting to look up. I’m hoping I stay motivated for next week’s peak runs of 9 & 15 miles. There’s a lot of other stuff going on that weekend, so I’m really hoping I don’t talk myself out of running that 15 miles (which will be solo).
Long story, but I’m hoping my mojo is back and I enjoy and feel good for Dopey.

SAFD: Didn't make goals in April, but mine are
1) Have fun and keep any annoyances that may come up in perspective. To always remember the gratitude and excitement I feel when I first register for any runDisney race.
2) Prioritze sleep whenever I can. I have a very early travel day on Thursday, and then 10K on Friday and half on Saturday, and then an early wakeup on Monday to attempt RotR- is sleep possible? Not sure, but I know I'll have a much better vacation if I try!
3) Look out for any Disers to say a quick hello to! I cannot make the meetups, but I would love to say a quick hello to anyone I see in the parks :)

This is my second Disney race, but first-ever full marathon. I ran the Princess Half this year with a friend, and for the Marathon, my husband will be joining me, instead of spectating. Since it's our first marathon, our primary goal is purely to finish and have fun!

Secondary goals include, avoid hitting a wall or any major physical pain, get some great photos, and enjoy time at Epcot after the race! I just want everything to go well, and to stay far away from sweeper buses!

If any experienced marathoners wouldn't mind sharing, what is one thing you wish you knew before your first marathon? Or one thing you wish you would have done differently?

Any chance Blizzard Beach will be open and we can take the lazy river once around?
The park is closed for refurb on Marathon Sunday. It does reopen that week following though. I doubt they’ll have anything open as they would need life guards on duty.

The park is closed for refurb on Marathon Sunday. It does reopen that week following though. I doubt they’ll have anything open as they would need life guards on duty.
damn...too bad, that could be the new tradition - ala Expedition Everest.

SAFD: I'm mostly a lurker around here, and didn't set any goals back in April, but here's my story/goals.

I've identified myself as a runner for the past 25 years (since high school track/cross-country), running generally at least once/week. A lot of life events interfered with "serious" running for a loooong time (2 pregnancies/babies, med school, residency, etc). In 2014, I visited WDW for the first time as an adult, and happened to be there over Marathon Weekend. I swore right then and there that someday I would be one of those people with a medal walking the parks on Sunday afternoon. I discovered I was pregnant the very next day, so put that plan on hold for a little while. We visited WDW at least 1 - 2 x/year since 2014 and I never forgot about my marathon goal. I realized that in 2020, the marathon fell on my birthday and decided that it was meant to be!

Training for a marathon has been hard and wonderful. I've raced more in 2019 than I have in many years, and have even won a couple of local races. I joined a running team and got a coach (and met new friends!). So now with my first full marathon right around the corner, I've gone from having a goal of finishing the marathon to having a goal of getting a BQ in my first full marathon! I'm targeting a sub-3:30 finish time, and I think it's possible. I ran 22 miles yesterday, and did 15 of them at around 7:45 pace, with the total run coming in just under 8 minute pace. I'm so insanely excited about this trip/race!

btw, I'm sure someone has mentioned this already, but....damn, HOLY COURSE CUTTING - there are sooooo many points that look like will tempt many.

I feel like I can probably now win this race....in record time, no less. Kipchoge who?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter