Marathon Weekend 2020

I’m going to give the new course the benefit of the doubt except for the last mile or so in Epcot. We will need to detour off the route in order to get our finish line margaritas. ;)

Sounds like a possible new beginning to replace my M&M McFlurry detour. Maybe keeping with a "John" tradition??? :yay:

p.s. -- Thursday 12/12 was the Cold Full Moon at 12:12AM. Moonrise at 5:17PM Wednesday I was out beginning my bicycle CFM ride, was under the Full Moon at 12:12AM and out at 7:15AM for the Moon set. Total overnight ride was 160.15 miler. Shot knees put an end to my marathons but will not keep this 69yo geezer from biking.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2929051336
M&M McFlurry John (retired) wishes all ---safe traveling and successful events :cheer2:

Sounds like a possible new beginning to replace my M&M McFlurry detour. Maybe keeping with a "John" tradition??? :yay:

p.s. -- Thursday 12/12 was the Cold Full Moon at 12:12AM. Moonrise at 5:17PM Wednesday I was out beginning my bicycle CFM ride, was under the Full Moon at 12:12AM and out at 7:15AM for the Moon set. Total overnight ride was 160.15 miler. Shot knees put an end to my marathons but will not keep this 69yo geezer from biking.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2929051336
M&M McFlurry John (retired) wishes all ---safe traveling and successful events :cheer2:

Count me in!!

Seems like there is a discrepancy with their cartoon map then...

The 2019 marathon also had a water stop in that same location (albeit a different mile marker on the course). So maybe it's just missing on the interactive version? Hard to say definitively.

Much Thanks! I missed it on the cartoon map, which I believe is correct. If my memory is accurate (for the last 9 marathons), we've always had a water stop as soon as we turn onto Bear Island Road.

So, 19 beverage stops is correct!

Another interesting thing I notice, it appears the marathon does not run through the Magic Kingdom toll booths (green is the marathon course). Caution runners, speed bump not ahead?
I'll miss running through the MK toll booths, but we'll run through the Epcot booths in mile 2. So, we won't escape the speed bump warning message for this race.

FWIW: I drew a line (using mapmyrun.com) from the ramp curve through the toll booths to the next right turn into the Epcot parking lot.

So, if you want to run the tangent and the shortest path, the best lane is underneath the 'O' in 'W E L C O M E' -- of course, that seems pretty obvious from this picture:

Last edited:

I am very excited about the new map. Some thoughts:
1. Happy that the first 7 miles of the half and full aren't identical. I always disliked that about doing Dopey.
2. Very happy for the return of the morning loop in Epcot. My first couple marathons were with this setup and that time in Epcot was a highlight.
3. It sounds stupid, but I like running through toll plazas. So, sad to miss MK, but happy to see return to EC plaza.
4. While the time in the parks may not be as plentiful as many want, I think the backstage parts are a lot more interesting. We get to run behind Mission: Space, WoL, and UoE. Plus, behind the Land. I almost prefer that to the parts on stage in parks.
5. If the temps are warm, the earlier start and course route should keep us shaded for more of the course than before? Time along Bear Island Road, in Animal Kingdom, and perhaps in BB. I'm assuming Western Way is better than the sunrise in our eyes on Osceola Parkway.
6. I think Blizzard Beach will feel like the hardest part. It is an out and back, which are never easy. The parking lot of BB may be dull. Plus, it is right in that bonk zone where we may be hurting, but the finish is still 4-6 miles away.
7. I don't mind the HS part. I anticipate running down Sunset and out. Cutting through Fantasmic theatre seems fun, then a bit backstage.
8. I like the longer route around Crescent Lake by YC and BC. I wonder how the route around Boardwalk differs. Was that the route last year?
9. Happy to see the final part still in WS. Bummer to exit it so soon at Norway. A highlight is usually seeing folks in the park in the last half mile cheering you on as you know you are about to finish. The fact that the last half mile is backstage is a bummer.
10. Kept the same finish line area, so at least should be comfortable will that finishing chute.

Overall, I am looking forward to the new route. I am excited for almost the entire thing, except for miles 20-23.

8. I like the longer route around Crescent Lake by YC and BC. I wonder how the route around Boardwalk differs. Was that the route last year?

This is the same route as in 2019, which is the first year the course ran on the Boardwalk side and not the BC/YC side.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! @lhermiston has asked that I guest host this week for a walk down memory lane. On April 17th, 2019 (just after registration day), I posed the question asking what your goals were for Marathon Weekend.

"Now that registration is out of the way for most of us, I'd love to hear your goals for Marathon Weekend. Here's how I see goals. They're personal. You chose it because that goal means something to you. It's important to you. Which means your goal is important to me. No goal is too big or too small. The person's goal to finish their first 5K and another's to take down Michael Wardian's Dopey World Record are equally important to me. So, I'd love to hear yours. And yes, even the super secret I don't want to admit it goals."

Now that we're just entering peak week of training for most everyone, how do your current goals compare to those you made in April? And for those that either didn't answer in April, or weren't around then but have joined us since, what are your goals for the weekend? A specific character you're hoping to snag a pic with? Getting a drink on course? Riding EE? Riding TOT/RnR? Participate in DATW or the meetup on Friday? Overcoming an adversity? Rise of the Resistance?

@steph0808, @huskies90, @regul8ter18, @Disneyslowrunner, @jhoannam, @camaker, @BigEeyore, @Barca33Runner, @dodukes, @disneygpa, @DerTobi75, @NormaG, @rteetz, @Neon Cactus, @IamTrike, @GuinnessRunner, @C.beara, @PrincessV, @Bree, @Dis_Yoda, @TeeterTots, @MissLiss279, @bevcgg, @KevM, @Gemini1131, @flav, @FFigawi, @wdvak, @CDKG, @Baloo in MI, @broadstreet, @bellanotte10, @Mickey Momma, @JulieODC, @courtneybeth, @PCFriar80, @kirstie101, @WDWfeelslikehome, @The Expert, @rdiver, @lhermiston

Attachments

• Marathon Weekend Disboard Goals 2020.pdf
    84.7 KB · Views: 58
SAFD (Guest Host Addition!):

Fun to look back at these. Overall, my goals haven't changed that much from April but have definitely evolved:

1) Arrive at the start line healthy - still the goal for this race and on track (knock on wood)
2) 5-K/10-K - Enjoy them with my two DDs and get them to want to come back every year to do it together again - Looks like they will likely just be ready for the 5-K, but we've had fun just talking about it all and getting ready.
3) Win lottery to pay for goal above HM/Marathon - Unfortunately this hasn't happened (yet)
4) Just finish feeling good so I can claim my first Dopey (Secret goal - HM under 2:30 and full under 4:45) - Still very much the goal, although I am throwing any time goals out the window now. After pushing hard at MCM in October, I promised myself this would be only for fun with no time expectations
5) Not let the crowded parts on the course impact my attitude - This one is definitely still true but has taken on new meaning too. Good friend who has done a number of RD races got diagnosed with cancer in October and is going through chemo. So now every time my attitude turns the wrong way, I think of him and his current journey. My hope is to be able to give him my Dopey medal as a placeholder with a promise that when he beats this thing, he and I will do the race again together and he can give it back to me.

SAFD hosted by @DopeyBadger

In looking back at my goals from April, they are still on track with what I have in mind currently.
1-Arrive (and Depart) Healthy
I think this is always a goal and hope everyone can attain it
2-Have fun with my first Dopey
I've done more training for this weekend than any other prior Marathon, thanks to the help of @DopeyBadger I am now entering peak week of my second training plan of two back to back plans that he created for me starting back in May after downtime following SW Rival Run Challenge
3-Help DW to enjoy her first Dopey as well
Still working at this one, DW is not a fan of running, but @DopeyBadger has been a great help to her as well :worship:, she is a BIG fan of the bling though so once we get to the Expo and the weekend is finally here happy times will follow
4-Try to make it to at least part of DATW on Monday
The plan is to stop over to EP and meet some fellow Run Dis'ers for a little while. Mon is our check out day, and we go back to work on Tues, but we're locals so not too far to travel.

Have a great peak week everyone!

SAFD:
Thanks for reminder and putting that together DopeyBadger!

Our half for PoT in September didn't go well. My wife has plantar faciatis leading up to the race, and seems it made it worse. She finished the half, but set her back in training. We've dialed back our expectations for finishing time.

- Still plan on riding Everest, and with it at 17 mile marker it might help us a little more.
- Still want at least a couple of pictures on course, as we didn't stop for any pictures during W&D 2018.
- Planning has really come together for enjoying park days. Have great FP times for everyone and a sit down meal once a day. Biggest unknown at the moment is how many will want to wake up early and do RotR on Friday.
- Wasn't on my original list, but 5k with our nephew will be fun. Excited to run around WS in the dark.

• Arrive healthy and well trained (including flexibility) to Disney: On track with training, three weeks left to strrrreettcchhhh
  • Complete my first Dopey with a smile: Let’s do this!
  • Encourage DD for her 5k and 10k: Major challenge for her to run in winter, she will be ready but it took a lot of energy to cross the door for training.
  • Get a lot of good pictures including one with Mickey dressed as a runner and one with the castle (strategy is to purchase Memory Maker for the first time + carry my phone): MM purchased, plenty of storage left on my phone.
  • Enjoy the parks and resorts with DM, DU, DH, DD, DD and whomever might join... Including experiencing SWGE and TSL Meet with DISers. That will take some shuffling as not everyone will have the same pace and interest.
  • Have at least one alcoholic celebration drink: For sure! And some fried pickles too.
  • Spend only one little fortune on the trip: Budget is under control plus I saved a lot by dropping gym membership, making my lunches and limiting fancy coffees.

Thanks for doing this, @DopeyBadger. It's one of my favorite Disboard traditions.

SAFD: I didn't make my goals until June or July when I actually signed up for the 10K and Goofy -

- Make the marathon a fun run. The only time I care about is having a good time. Character stops, drinks in AK, Expedition Everest and a drink across the finish line. Looking for some fellow runDisney all stars to run with!
- Do DATW from beginning to end.
- Check out the expo more.
- Embrace my first solo Disney experience, but hopefully find some fellow DISers to hang out with.

My goals have basically remained the same. Obviously, the course change throws a little bit of a curve ball into aspects of the first goal, but I still want to focus on having fun and running with a group. I'm still on track to do DATW from beginning to end and I do plan on checking out the expo a bit this year. The meaning behind my final goal has changed quite a bit since I made it, but I am still committed to have a great solo trip.

Have a great week, everyone! See you in about 24 days.

SAFD: pretty sure I had no goals listed in April because I hadn’t planned on running in 2020. Now that I’m entered, my goal is pretty simple: have fun with friends, which may include some or all of the following...
- Beer at Thirsty River if it’s open
- Ride ToT and RnRC
- Finish line margarita
- Pre race shots
- Finish without injury

SAFD:

I didn't create marathon goals in April, which is a good thing; I was not overly optimistic about many parts of my life about 8 months ago. My job was consuming my life, and even though all my work projects were very successful, I was really burned out -- too many 70 and 80 hour weeks with high pressure. For the first time since I started seriously running in 2008, I was unable to consistently make my 'Tuesday to Sunday' daily run schedule. I never thought work would prevent me from running, but it happened. PLUS, running in the Florida heat had also crushed my spirit. I had basically given up on qualifying for Boston, despite missing it by 2 minutes at the Chicago Marathon in 2017.

So, I hit the reset button in August. I created a training plan for base building, and also a 16 week marathon training plan. I switched positions within my company to simplify my life. And then I registered for the Disney Marathon. I'm glad to say that after just 4.5 months of hard training, and a new attitude, life is good now. :-)

Goals:

I always go into every race with 3 goals (A, B, C). My 'C' goal is usually the same as my pre-race mantra: "Just do your best for today."

A goal: Sub 3:35 finish time. Ideally, I would like a sub 3:30, because 3:35 is my BQ time, and 3:30 would give me a BQ minus 5. But, I'm being realistic based on my training, and I have another BQ race (Tomoka Marathon near Daytona Beach) planned for 3/21. I'll aim for a sub 3:30 at Tomoka if my Disney marathon race goes well.

Side note: My older sister is also running the Disney marathon, and it would be super cool if we both BQ at Disney this year. This would be the A+ goal.

B goal: Sub 3:40. If the weather is warm like last year, I will still start with an 8:10 mile pace, but may have to reduce it later in the race if the heat/humidity is significant. Fortunately, with the earlier start time, I expect the temperature to stay the same for the first 2.5 hours of the race. I'd love low 40's, and I can deal with low 50's -- but 60+ at race start means the BQ goal is most likely deferred.

Good luck to everyone with your goals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!