Marathon Weekend 2018

You are correct. Parent or Guardian can do so from their account. Here's an excerpt of the disclaimer on Active.com:

Relationship
You are this person's parent or legal guardian.
You must be the parent or legal guardian to register someone under 18 years old. By registering a child under 13, you are consenting to the collection of the child's information you are providing for the purposes of registration.
Great! I have my son saved under my account. (I had already set him one up. So, I have just in case....) Thanks!

AKL is definitely our home away from home. It's so peaceful and we love the pool and the balcony size and the FOOD. Have tried quite a few others but they just don't speak to us like AKL.

Trying poly in the fall and possibly back to the Beach Club for marathon simply for location.

AKL is definitely our home away from home. It's so peaceful and we love the pool and the balcony size and the FOOD. Have tried quite a few others but they just don't speak to us like AKL.

Trying poly in the fall and possibly back to the Beach Club for marathon simply for location.

While we're on the topic of the Beach Club, I noticed today that the BCVs deluxe studios are sold out for Friday, 1/5/18. Days on either side are still available...for now. I didn't check the 1BR or 2BR availability.

First rD race, first marathon. YIKES. :scared: I'm in (AP) and since I'll probably be solo, I'll probably go for POP or AoA, even an AS. Looking now at the dates AFTER I already signed up, I'm getting worried for the crowds due to it being so close to NY's. Double YIKES. :worried:

Great place for your first marathon. Was in the exact same boat as you.
POP is great because there will be a bunch of other runners around. Plus the Dis meet on Friday will let ya meet some of the amazing people on this board in person. Crowds will be big, but definitely manageable. Just make sure you plan ahead for your dinner reservations and fastpasses. And use this board for any questions you have. Most likely there are a bunch of people with the same question, or who have done this weekend enough times to have an answer for ya.

I went to register tonight. Apparently it closed at 8PM? What is up with that? Why wouldn't it just simply be "the registration open for DVC members before it is open for everyone else." I don't get why they need to restrict it by the number of entries or time. I am very confused by this. I guess I will be registering with everyone else tomorrow. Oh well.

I went to register tonight. Apparently it closed at 8PM? What is up with that? Why wouldn't it just simply be "the registration open for DVC members before it is open for everyone else." I don't get why they need to restrict it by the number of entries or time. I am very confused by this. I guess I will be registering with everyone else tomorrow. Oh well.

They release a limited number of spaces for AP and DVC members, but keep the majority of slots available for general registration. If all slots were open to AP and DVC members it would encourage people to lie and abuse the system to ensure spots even more than already happens. As for the cut off time for early registration, I think they need time to retool the website to make the remaining slots available to the public and ready for the opening of general registration at noon tomorrow.

If all slots were open to AP and DVC members it would encourage people to lie and abuse the system to ensure spots even more than already happens.
I believe this statement is false. Every DVC member and AP holder is tied an account. A random person can't click on a link and register as an AP holder or DVC member without knowing the member's account and password.

I believe this statement is false. Every DVC member and AP holder is tied an account. A random person can't click on a link and register as an AP holder or DVC member without knowing the member's account and password.

I don't think that's true, or at least it didn't use to be - When I signed up for GSC 2014, I used a DVC/AP link that was posted somewhere and I was neither of those things.

It is not false given the level of control currently in place for the registration process. There have been a number of discussions about security around the links and apparently if you can access the link, which usually gets posted here or on social media, you are able to register. There is some debate as to whether RunDisney audits the registrations to ensure their validity, but speculation has been that, if done at all, it is sporadic at best. In addition, I don't think RunDisney wants races to be an AP/DVC exclusive club.

I am in for something, but haven't decided what yet. It will either be the full and the 10k or Dopey. I am leaning towards going for Dopey, so inspired by many stories I read over the weekend. I always run 48 hours before a race, and 10k is my favorite distance, so that is why 10k + full is my back up.

Just out of curiosity, I see lots of reports of beer stops at the end for people in EPCOT. Can one get a Margarita? I am not a big beer drinker (though DH has been working on that lately), but a margarita would be lovely.

I've decided to do the Dopey, and my plan is to have a family member waiting for me outside of Mexico with a Margarita as I pass by.

Not true. runDisney has the AP/DVC links on their website. I checked them earlier today to see if anything else sold out.

I was ready to sign my husband up (who is also an AP) for the 5K and 10K tonight and woops, the reg closed at 8pm EST, not PST.

I have a meeting until 915am tomorrow, so hopefully it won't sell out right away. This is what I get for not reading the fine print.

It is not false given the level of control currently in place for the registration process. There have been a number of discussions about security around the links and apparently if you can access the link, which usually gets posted here or on social media, you are able to register.
Well, thanks for clearing that up for me. Disney never ceases to amaze me. They can charge $560 for a race but can't build a simple SSO website that a high school student could build? And seriously, all of their other sites have this basic sign on technology - I can't register for a DVC event without logging into my account.

Well, thanks for clearing that up for me. Disney never ceases to amaze me. They can charge $560 for a race but can't build a simple SSO website that a high school student could build? And seriously, all of their other sites have this basic sign on technology - I can't register for a DVC event without logging into my account.

Until they learn how to spell and proofread, I'm not counting on rD doing much in the IT arena.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter