Marathon Weekend 2018

Race track was gone and DHS construction had started last year, so there was an added "out and back" between the water treatment plant and DAK.

That stinks! No, it really does. lol

Then slow down! :P

I'd like to see the course have that, too. The 2017 marathon course didn't have a lot of HS, mostly due to construction, and it seems like this year's course may have less of it. The '17 marathon did not have the run around the speedway, but it was made up by adding an approximately 1/4 mile leg each way down Western Way, which is right before AK, which, as JeffW said, is the water treatment plant. There's also been more course inside WWOS, which looks fairly dull.

Isn't WWOS where quite a few people got caught cutting the course?

Unfortunately it seems the slower I go, the more likely I'll cramp. I have been forcing myself to train at slower speeds since this will be the first time I've ever ran a half and a full on back-to-back days. I've done half marathons in consecutive weekends and PR'd them both, but never anything like this. I also have a tendency to train too fast, but I'll most likely be in corral A or B which would put me coming through AK (if it's still around mile 14 or 15 like I remembered it being) just under 2 hours into the race so it'll just be daylight. I may be way off on my times, but that's how I remembered the course and comparing to corral start times in the past.

I've never been in AK when Everest was open so that's never been an option for me. I usually make it through there just before it opens. I agree the hills would not be optimal, but it would've been cool to see it during the race (and still include Everest) for more park time! Less views of the waste water treatment plant and more park time has to be a plus right? They have to revise this year's course anyway due to the removal of the race track. That was still there last year wasn't it? I didn't run anything in 2017 so I wasn't sure.
Race track was gone last year. We might see some changes due to road work on WDW property. Another possible change is just outside DHS where the gondola/skyliner station is being built.

I don't know if anyone has gotten caught, but I saw some people a few Dopey's back flip direction and skip Wide Waste of Space altogether...not that I blame them but it is the course and the miles.

My first full was WDW 5 years ago and my calves and quads started seizing up around mile 16 so I had to push through that entire wasteland that is WWOS (it's really nice and I'm a Braves fan but it was hard to enjoy under the circumstances) so I understand the temptation to do that.

They usually are pretty easy to tell since they are missing the 20 mile mat.

True. It's also that the interpolation between the timing mats in either side doesn't fit the rest of the data.

It looks like the timing mats are sparse on the last half of the course, being only the half marker, itself (inside AK), a 30k (18.64 mi, inside WWOS) and the finish line. If they placed a couple extra mats, say around mile 16 and mile 22, that would help catch people twirling around WWOS instead of running through it.

As neat as running through Pandora would be I don't think its realistic, from a course perspective I think getting us in and out of Pandora would be too dificult. Unless there's an unmarked back entrance into Pandora (which is possible I guess, the place we enter normally isn't marked on the map either). Plus it would probably mean losing some in park time since I would guess we would be exiting through DinoLand and I think its at least half a mile to a mile from where we usually enter to where we exit AK. So they would have to tack on distance somewhere.

True. It's also that the interpolation between the timing mats in either side doesn't fit the rest of the data.

It looks like the timing mats are sparse on the last half of the course, being only the half marker, itself (inside AK), a 30k (18.64 mi, inside WWOS) and the finish line. If they placed a couple extra mats, say around mile 16 and mile 22, that would help catch people twirling around WWOS instead of running through it.
Mats don't really matter for the majority of people though as all you have to say is your chip didn't work and that's why if someone called you out. Chips sometimes do mess up so could be legite. And if there's funky times then all they have to say is they were character stopping a lot then sped up. If you are a placer then they may throw your time out if you have discrepencies otherwise I don't think they bother to catch anyone for cutting. But I do agree more mats at easy cut spots like out & backs would be nice to keep people honest but I guess it doesn't hurt me so oh wells. Personally, I love running over the mats for some reason.

As for the course I agree doubt Pandora shows up, too many runners still in park when guests are there.

Last edited:
Mats don't really matter for the majority of people though as all you have to say is your chip didn't work and that's why if someone called you out. Chips sometimes do mess up so could be legite. And if there's funky times then all they have to say is they were character stopping a lot then sped up. If you are a placer then they may throw your time out if you have discrepencies otherwise I don't think they bother to catch anyone for cutting. But I do agree more mats at easy cut spots like out & backs would be nice to keep people honest but I guess it doesn't hurt me so oh wells. Personally, I love running over the mats for some reason.

As for the course I agree doubt Pandora shows up, too many runners still in park when guests are there.

There's one thing about stopping for characters and then deciding that getting to the finish line is more important. It's when you get from one mat to the one two after, and it says you ran a per mile time of 2:45. That's when things get suspicious.

Happy Sunday!

Today’s Sundays are for Disney question:

What character would you most like to see at a runDisney race?

My answer: I always love seeing the regular like fab 5 characters but in special outfits that they don’t normally wear in the parks. So any unique rare outfit would be cool to me.

What character would you most like to see at a runDisney race?

Great question! The Great Mouse Detective is one of my favourite Disney movies but it's so underrated and forgotten that Disney doesn't even have the costumes for those characters (at least I've never seen the characters come out in any park). Basil, Dawson, Olivia and Hiram Flaversham and Ratigan all together would make a great photo. After seeing photos of the entire cast of Sleeping Beauty at the Disney park this weekend, I have to say the entire cast of an animated film out at the same time would be awesome. It's really something else. I love Disney Princesses the most after GMD. Seeing any one of them is always very special.

Sundays are for Disney:

There are a lot of characters I haven't seen that I would like to see on the course at a runDisney race:

-Taffyta, Candlehead, and Rancis from Wreck-It Ralph
-Gadget, Zipper and Monterrey Jack from Rescue Rangers
-Eeyore
-Figment

There are a probably more that I can't think of right now and I don't stop for many characters, so maybe I'm not the best litmus test in this area. I would definitely take time to stop if I saw any from this group out during a race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter