Marathon Weekend 2016

Do you feel prepared for the race you are signed up for and are you looking forward to making the trip to Disney? One last set of question. Where are you coming from? Are you driving or flying? How long will your trip take you?
1. I figure I'm as prepared as I'm going to be do there's no point in fretting over it. My goal is really for fun and completion, so I know I'm good there. Being that its my first full, I'm guaranteed a PR.
2. Totally looking forward to the trip. First trip with DH and without kids in 14 years plus hitting Universal, so I'm really getting excited.
3. Flying in from Kansas City, about 3 hrs.

With a base of 30-60 mpw, you'll be fine, even if you haven't gotten in that many long runs. I did my first ultra (50K) a few years back on a similar base, but with no long runs past 14 miles. I was fine. You're building your endurance over the course of the week, just not in a single run. Also, congratulations on qualifying for Boston! Enjoy the experience. I was supposed to run my first Boston this year, but my job sent me on a trip instead. I'm qualified for 2017, so I'll get there eventually.
Thanks @BikeFan! I'm not really worried, mostly excited to actually run a race "for fun" for once. Congrats on running an ultra, that's pretty huge...and good luck in Boston 2017!

Physically I'm in top gear, mentally...well I'm still a bit shaken by the near head on we had with an idiot trying to pass on the curve this morning. But I'll be good by race day(s).

I feel pretty much prepared. I keep stalking ADRs hoping a slightly later California Grill one will open up on Friday since the 5:20 is a tad bit early for Wishes viewing (even if it is at 8). And continue to be frustrated by the lack of FP for the Star Wars fireworks (yeah no I am not paying 70 bucks for food I will barely be able to touch and can't take home no thank you, and I don't drink)

Well I'm from CO but I've been in England for the holidays. So that's where we're flying from. It's a 5 hr flight, plus a 2-3 hr drive to London.

You may already know this, but if you go to the earlier dinner time at Cali Grill..save your receipt. They will let you back up to sit on the special deck outside or at the bar (at least they did last time I went, someone can update if that has changed) to watch the fireworks. So if you want to eat and then stroll around the resort or what-not and come back...you can do that.

You may already know this, but if you go to the earlier dinner time at Cali Grill..save your receipt. They will let you back up to sit on the special deck outside or at the bar (at least they did last time I went, someone can update if that has changed) to watch the fireworks. So if you want to eat and then stroll around the resort or what-not and come back...you can do that.

That I actually didn't know. So thanks!

My costume components for my Minnie outfit should be ready by Thursday this week. Would it be weird if I posted a picture of my dress rehearsal so people could kind of see what I will look like on race day? Or along the marathon course by the Contemporary when I'm cheering?

Do you have an idea whereabouts you'll be cheering in front of the contemporary? I've attached an image of where we will be running.

Yellow arrows = Runners Path
Orange Box, Blue Box, Purple Box, and Red Box = places where I have seen spectators stand to watch from the contemporary

I am estimated to be there around 6:20am.

Slide1.jpg

Boards been a little slow lately... How is everyone doing? Only a few more days to the big weekend! Do you feel prepared for the race you are signed up for and are you looking forward to making the trip to Disney? One last set of question. Where are you coming from? Are you driving or flying? How long will your trip take you?

LSUlakes: thanks for the "quiz":

1) I'm trying something "experimental" in my training... so confidence level is about 90%
2) Looking forward to the trip... while we were at the mouse house six months ago (it was stressful with too much drama).
3) Minnesota/Flying/4+ hours. We're landing before noon on Saturday and need to pickup my packet by 4pm (ugh). Could be tense.

Do you have an idea whereabouts you'll be cheering in front of the contemporary? I've attached an image of where we will be running.

Yellow arrows = Runners Path
Orange Box, Blue Box, Purple Box, and Red Box = places where I have seen spectators stand to watch from the contemporary

I am estimated to be there around 6:20am.

View attachment 141797

Our thought was at that turn where the red box is because we are staying at BLT and it is the easiest place to say "hey we will be here" to our friend who is running. It's so hard to know this far ahead what time we will be out for everyone. She is in corral L (edited my earlier post, she ended up in L..we just though N because it matched up with last years chart.) But I have your list printed to take with me in case I make my way downstairs earlier. I can't promise anything. I tend to wake up early at Disney because I get SO EXCITED, but it will be our last day and we may be beat at that point :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Almost verbatim what my doctor told me almost 4 years ago to the day. "If you want to be able to appreciate the lives of the children you wish to have some day, and be there for them as you get older, then you need to make lifestyle changes. This includes eating healthier and making sure you exercise." I owe a lot of my accomplishments since then, to that very brief 60 second conversation. It was one of those pivotal moments in my life that I will always look back on and smile.

:: high ten :: for the hard work and :: high ten :: for a the rewards associated with that accomplishment. I've lost 40 lbs in the last three years (did wonders for my marathon time) :)

Any good news websites I should look into for the Orlando/Disney area? I prefer the local reports than a national website.
Honestly, they're all about the same anymore, because very few news stations collect and/or analyze their own data. I'll take a look at WESH, but it's almost always identical to what Weather Channel is showing, so I suspect they use the same data. I use Bay News 9 where I live, and they do forecasting for central FL, too, but not 10 days out - only 7. Over the years I've found Accuweather to be shockingly, well... accurate lol! I'll often watch Accu forecast something that seems nutty (the W&D monsoon, for example), in direct opposition to the Weather Channel... and then see WC change at the last minute to what Accu had been forecasting all along.

Thanks @BikeFan! I'm not really worried, mostly excited to actually run a race "for fun" for once. Congrats on running an ultra, that's pretty huge...and good luck in Boston 2017!
That's what I enjoy most about RunDisney events - just doing them for fun with friends and family. I did Goofy in 2013 with my brother, and at the time it was only my second marathon, but I knew my training was good and I had no worries about finishing. I just remember sitting in the corrals talking to other runners, soaking up the atmosphere, and feeling great about the complete lack of pressure and expectations. It's going to be the same this time. I'm running along with several family members, three of whom have never run a half. I'm just going to focus on cheering them on toward the finish and running around the World. Can't wait!

Honestly, they're all about the same anymore, because very few news stations collect and/or analyze their own data. I'll take a look at WESH, but it's almost always identical to what Weather Channel is showing, so I suspect they use the same data. I use Bay News 9 where I live, and they do forecasting for central FL, too, but not 10 days out - only 7. Over the years I've found Accuweather to be shockingly, well... accurate lol! I'll often watch Accu forecast something that seems nutty (the W&D monsoon, for example), in direct opposition to the Weather Channel... and then see WC change at the last minute to what Accu had been forecasting all along.
Well lets hope accuweathers trend of being correct holds, because as of this morning, they had the cooler temps for race day. Thanks for the info!

Boards been a little slow lately... How is everyone doing? Only a few more days to the big weekend! Do you feel prepared for the race you are signed up for and are you looking forward to making the trip to Disney? One last set of question. Where are you coming from? Are you driving or flying? How long will your trip take you?

1. I'm prepared as I'm ever going to be! I feel one more emotional moment coming - it will probably be after the Expo on Wednesday or as I'm putting everything together before bed on Wednesday night.
1B. I've been dealing with some slight injury setbacks, but as long as I keep focused, I know that I will finish and complete the challenge in front of me. I will not be setting any land-speed records, that's for sure!
1C. I've already been at Disney for a week! Enjoying Typhoon Lagoon today on this beautiful December day.
2. We drove from DFW - it's a two-day trip for us (we bring our dogs since we usually stay a month or so), so we break up the 18 hours with an overnight in New Orleans.

My friends start arriving Friday! @mbwhitti is first, and then S later that evening. Two more friends are coming in Saturday morning right after the half!

1. I am doing OK. Trying my best to avoid any contact with sick people! I had my last long run on Christmas Eve and it was a humid slog. I am looking forward to the early morning cooler temperatures! (but not the wakeup).
2. I am very much looking forward to the trip, it's a girls weekend sans kids so should be fun. I feel relatively prepared to complete the run, (my first half), but am forever comparing myself to everyone else posting their runs on FB, with times faster than mine. This is my first Disney Race and I have been compulsively watching race videos on YouTube to see what people wear, and how they do the run/walk Galloway intervals. I am so afraid of getting run over or causing a collision!
3. Flying in from Houston, nonstop, only 3 hours. Only 8 more sleeps!

A lot of good responses! I like reading about how everyone is doing and the travel plans. I guess it helps seeing that other people are having similar issues as others and the reassurance that we will all do fine. Also nice getting some responses from folks that don't post often.

Boards been a little slow lately... How is everyone doing?...

1. Fairly healthy. Dealing with one issue that I would rather not elaborate on at the moment. Suffice it to say it won't keep me from running.
2. I feel much more prepared for this marathon than I did for my first two years ago. That said, my training took a hit this month due to an unplanned basement renovation, my twin daughters' birthday, Christmas, and non-stop rain. The longest run I managed to log was 18 miles. At least that 18-miler went fairly well!
Regardless, I am super excited about my trip!
3. Flying from Tennessee on Friday with a 37 minute layover in Charlotte. Send good vibes my way for no delays and a strong tailwind.

My answers.
Still a little sick, but improving ever so slowly.
I trust my training has prepared me for the distance despite a few set backs. A little concerned about hitting my time goal. Very excited about the trip and spending time with my family!
Baton Rouge, LA. Driving, about 11 hours of car time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Great questions!! It has been a bit slow lately, I've been one of the many that have been hit with a bad flu but slowly getting back to normal!

1) I'm doing alright apart from the flu! I've just been so exhausted lately and in constant need for a nap but I'm glad I got this now and not in a weeks time!
2) I trust my training... I feel as prepared as I could feel and I'm just hoping now that I can really enjoy the races... I'm SO EXCITED for Disney I could BURST :goofy:
3) I'm flying from Dublin on New Years Day.. our flight is indirect via London and we leave at 8.45am and arrive at Orlando at 4.15pm so in total it's about 13hrs (Orlando is 5hrs ahead)

Can. Not. Wait. To get to Disney. We haven't been since Nov. 2014, but it feels like forever! Lol. We leave in 6 days!!

As for my half, I wish I would have done more long runs, but I am glad I have two half marathons under my belt. I don't know if another 15 main PROBLEM is my future, but hoping to improve on my Avengers 3.15 time. I did something weird with my running form on Saturday , so my calves were sore all weekend. I'm going to just go back to basics for the next few runs. :) Lastly, we're coming from Los Angeles, so about 6 hours (with layover) next Monday! Woo!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter