Mall Stores That No Longer Exist

hentob said:
This End Up (furniture store) :thumbsup2
This store still exists. I was reading the newest Reader's Digest and that store was part of one of those real life jokes.

Wow! Maybe we are behind the times, but here in NC we still have The Icing, 5-7-9, Spencers, and Casual Corner.

Some I remember that are gone now:
Ups N Downs- Jrs clothes
Chess King and J Riggins- trendy menswear
The Nut House (I think)- they sold all kinds of nuts and candy
Caren Charles- misses career clothes
Petite Sophisticate
Koala Blu- Olivia Newton John's clothing stores
Thom McCan- trendy shoes (got my first pair of Yo-Yo wedgie heels there in the 70's)

I used to looove to go to the mall and shop all day! I even met my DH at the mall- I worked at Casual Corner, and he was the Assistant Manager of J. Riggins- we used to meet for lunch in the Food Court. :teeth: Nowadays, unless I go to the Disney Store, I almost never set foot in a mall.

grinningghost said:
Casual Corner I'm not sure - but Galleria still has Lerners - although it's not quite the same Lerners as it used to be - it's much more upscale now - in other words, alot more unaffordable. ;)

Wasn't that Lerners called New York and Co. for a while? Everytime we walk by that store I tell my kids how that was my favorite store when I was their ages. (back in the old Thruway Plaza days) they look at me like I'm nuts cause of the kinds of clothes it carries now. I miss the Old Lerners. I haven't seen Casual Corner in quite a while.

koopa said:
::yes:: Merry-Go-Round was the first thought in my mind too.
Orange Julious
Camelot Music (our mall had 2 record stores, can't remember the other one).

Orange Julius is still around in the Philly area.

Lit Brothers

Marianne

Famous Maid

The Wild Pair

Jeans Barn

Ormond

Lady Bug

Wow! A retail blast from the past!

I started working retail in high school and kept on for several years after so I was in the mall EVERY DAY.

I remember Brooks. I liked to shop there and almost went to work for them at one point. I dated a guy from Chess King for several months. I never bought anything at Merry Go Round because they were a little TOO funky. But I do remember thinking they must be on commission because the one time I tried something on the girl was literally flinging clothes over the door at me. I remember 5-7-9. I remember Body Shop with the car doors on the dressing rooms. I remember The Limited when they sold Outback Red and had amazing clearance sales. I don't shop there anymore. I also liked Strawberry Fields and 7th Avenue Warehouse. Ups & Downs sounds really familiar so we must have had those.

I bought the topper for our wedding cake at Wicks & Sticks. I hadn't thought about that store in forever.

A lot of the places I worked don't exist anymore. Kids Point of View, Mothercare, Parklane Hosiery, Hit or Miss. I don't know if Contempo is still around - it was a crummy place to work! I liked their affiliate store Pastille MUCH better but they weren't hiring when I needed a job! Limited, Too is still around but it is very different.

Casual Corner, Petite Sophisticate, and August Max were all the same company and I think they recently went under because they all closed. Caren Charles used to belong to them, too, but that was back in the late 1990's. Limited had a lingerie store called Cacique that I loved, but they all closed. When Limited was in it's hey-day they owned half the mall. Limited, Limited, Too and Cacique were one division. Lane Bryant and Lerner were another division. Express, Structure, Bath & Body Works, and Victoria's Secret were a division, and they also owned Abercrombie & Fitch. Not sure who is still considered a "Limited Brand" these days. The stores used to be all hooked together so you could pass from one to the other but they aren't like that now.

Lots of good memories! I adore the mall!

Thought of two more; Gimbels & John Wanamaker

Is the Magic Pan restaurant still around anywhere?

Blondie said:
Thought of two more; Gimbels & John Wanamaker

Is the Magic Pan restaurant still around anywhere?

And you can say goodbye to Strawbridges too.

Thought of another! Charming Shoppes.

I'm sure I can come up with a few more, give me time!

Charade said:
And you can say goodbye to Strawbridges too.

My mom told me that when I was up there last month. I remember when it was Strawbridge & Clothier.

Remember Clover and Korvette?

Robert Hall is another one that's long gone.

I just remembered two more, even though they weren't really in malls, Two Guys and Atlantic Thrift.

I told you I'd come up with more:

Montgomery Ward

Silo

Someone else mentioned Ormond. I shopped there when I was in middle school. When I would go visit my cousin in Kansas we would shop at Brass Buckle, which I think became just "The Buckle" later on. I used to like County Seat and Miller's Outpost for jeans. I can't remember where I bought my shoes. I can picture the store but I can't remember the name of the shop. It wasn't Wild Pair! :rotfl:

We used to have this store called Units I think. It was a bunch of different items that were interchangeable. For example, they had a cotton stretchy "tube" that could be used as a top, a skirt or a belt. They had a bunch of different colors and different items. Does anyone remember this?

I remember Units! One of the moms who used to bring her daughter to Limited, Too was a district manager for Units.

The stores were kind of weird because they were all white. The clothes were in bins and on shelves - nothing was on hangers. Kind of like shopping in the library! I didn't shop there until they were going out of business. I got some cute stuff really cheap!

Yep,, I remember the "Unit" store. A person really had to have the shape to
wear them. THey showed every bump and bludge a person had. Prolly
why they are not around anymore ,,,,,,,,,,,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter