Mall Stores That No Longer Exist

golfgal said:
Cinnabon is still around.

Must be a local franchise then. The corporate stores were shut down with no notice. Some big wigs took off with the profits and the employees found themselves unemployed with no notice.

I know the brand name still exists in grocery stores and Target has something made by them - but all the stores in Richmond closed abruptly

Beth76 said:
We used to have this store called Units I think. It was a bunch of different items that were interchangeable. For example, they had a cotton stretchy "tube" that could be used as a top, a skirt or a belt. They had a bunch of different colors and different items. Does anyone remember this?

Another store like that: Multiples

Also:
Chas A Stevens
Madigans

Wow, this must be a regional thing. We still have some of the mentioned stores around here. 579, Wicks & Sticks, Spencers, & Debs are still around. United Colors of Benetton just came back recently. And Bakers and Wild Pair still exist. It is just kind of strange to see people mention that they aren't in their local malls, when I see them here all the time. I believe we still have a few Casual Corners as well, but I never really paid attention.

I miss Woolworths. We used to have a big one in the mall with a good little diner next to it. My mom used to go shopping and dad would take me and my brother to get some hot dogs at the diner. I believe it was themed like a dining car on a train. I could be mistaken, I was really young when it closed.

As another poster mentioned, I miss the original Express. They used to have some really nice clothes and jeans. Now, it is just like every other store.

Does Comtempo still exist? I never shopped there, but I noticed that they closed down here, then opened up with a new name.

MomofKatie said:
Chess King and J Riggins- trendy menswear

When I was writing my post for this thread, I was wracking my mind trying to remember these two stores. I used to get my brothers and dad sweaters from Chess King every Christmas. LOL...I think everyone did this also!

Obi-Wan Pinobi said:
Must be a local franchise then. The corporate stores were shut down with no notice. Some big wigs took off with the profits and the employees found themselves unemployed with no notice.

I know the brand name still exists in grocery stores and Target has something made by them - but all the stores in Richmond closed abruptly

Well Dang, when did that happen? Last time I was in a mall there was one still, but that was a couple months ago.

I loved The Wild Pair. How about Northern Reflections. Not sure if it was a chain store or not but I know they used to be in several malls in Michigan. :sunny:

We used to have Stuarts and Mariannes, both owned by Charming Shoppes I believe.

I used to be an asst. manager at Off the Rax, which is now called Dress Barn. I believe they are still around.

Madigans for Men for and Gantos were two of my favorite stores.

For those who mentioned Lerner, I worked there as well. They eventually became New York and Co., and are a little more upscale.

How about..

Natural Wonders
The Warner Brothers stores
Battlesteins
Palais Royal

I don't know if someone mentioned them yet but those come to mind immediately.

There's a Cinnabon in one of the malls by my house. There's also one at the STL airport. I saw one at the Vancouver airport when we were there 3 years ago. I always get a cinnabon whenever we fly somewhere.

We still have Cinnabon's in several malls around here, too, and at least one Orange Julius.

I remember Two Guys, 5-7-9, Gantos and Contempo Casuals. Contempo was one of my favorites when I was a teenager. There was another store I loved called FoxTrot or Foxy's or something like that... I'm not sure, does anyone remember that one? I think they even had a little fox face logo. :lmao:

I don't recognize many of the other stores mentioned. I think it's because so many are regional. Even most of the department stores were all different when I first moved out of state, although with all the acquisitions, that is changing.

D&L
G. Fox

There was a store in the mall called G. Whiz or Gee Whiz or something like that. They basically sold things like sparkly pencils and neon colored everything. It was a 10 year old girl's dream store in the '80s.

Banana Republic used to sell safari-looking clothes. I still have a Banana Republic t-shirt from the '80s that has an Old World style map on it.

Someone mentioned Contempo - I think they're Wet Seal now.

Crankyshank said:
Jordan Marsh
G.Fox
TJ Cinnamon

Ask someone over 50 about downtown Providence:

Shepard's
Gladdings
Cherry & Webb
These three were connected by a "bridge"

The Outlet Company

I think some of them moved out to the malls.

I'm old enough that my friends and I went downtown on Saturdays, rather than to the mall. (they hardly existed) We would shop, have lunch, and then buy a 45 or LP recorded by the Beatles, etc at Woolworth's.

I miss Pasta/Paul Harris SOOOOOO BAD!!!!

I worked there on and off for a long time. I started when I was in college and would work on breaks and in the summer. I then went back even after I got married. I had been there for such a long time and the manangement knew they could depend on me, so I pretty much set my own schedule. I didn't have to work Friday or Saturday nights at all. I could work as little or as much as I wanted (worked lots of extra hours for Disney $ !!) I so wish they were still around, I miss the clothes and the extra $. I tried to do a couple of other stores after Pasta closed, but I couldn't take it. I tired B.Moss and they were a pain in the rear and Eddie Bauer wasn't much better. They both kept you in the store at least an hour after closing, I was used to having the registers counted and store straight and being out 20-30 minutes after closing.

I miss Bennetton as well, I would get their sweaters at the end of the season when they put them on sale.

I remember the Magic Pan! When I was a young teen, I considered it a "really fancy" restaurant :rolleyes: -in the mall.

I also loved Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor- it was kind of turn-of-the-century style.There were straw boater wearing waiters, and they had a monster sundae (kinda like the Kitchen Sink at B&C).

Gyro Wrap. Sbarro, Corn Dog on a Stick, and Orange Julius were all in the Food Court.

Ruby Tuesday! They used to be only in the malls- now they have mostly stand-alone restaurants.

BeNJeNWaFFLe said:
I miss Woolworths. We used to have a big one in the mall with a good little diner next to it. My mom used to go shopping and dad would take me and my brother to get some hot dogs at the diner. I believe it was themed like a dining car on a train. I could be mistaken, I was really young when it closed.

Weren't they called Hot Shoppes?

I also remember Der Dog Haus.

What about Wilson's House of Suede and Leather? I think they closed and dropped the House of Suede and Leather and reopened as just Wilson's, but they didn't last too long around here.

Ohhhh...Farrells!! :cloud9: Used to get hot fudge sundae and they gave you the hot fudge on the side in this silver cup and it was the BEST!!! As for other restaurants, Swanky Frank, Pampered Pup, Choo Choo and my friend and I used love having lunch at Olga's Kitchen! :goodvibes

Olga's Kitchen, wasn't that at King of Prussia?

Oneill's went to May Co which changed to Kaufmann's which is now going to Macy's.

Halle's-remember Mr Jingaling in the Cleveland area.

Harts
Hills
Hecks
Nichols
Gold Circle
"Monkey" wards
Woolworth

Little Professor books
Doctors Pet store with all of the dogs in the window.
Camelot Music

Really miss the Warner Bros Studio store-and the way the Disney Store used to be. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter