Makahiki Breakfast For Couple, No Kids - Worth it?

Off to Neverland 7

DIS Veteran
Hello all! DH and I are visiting Oahu next week. We’ll be staying in Waikiki for this trip (DH’s bday request) and we have 1 day planned for the West Side. I have the Makahiki Character Breakfast Booked for the two of us and am struggling to see if this is “worth it” given the cost and the drive (even though we’ll already be in the area-ish). Now I understand asking if it’s “worth it” is subjective, but I guess what I’m asking is the quality and taste of the food and the experience “worth it?” For a young 20-something couple without children? DH has always felt weird at the idea of a character breakfast as we don’t have children yet but I love anything Disney. Would so appreciate your thoughts. Thank you in advance!

If you aren’t staying at Aulani it is the only way to meet Minnie, Mickey et al, if that is worth the cost to you then yes.

If your not in it for the characters it’s not particularly nice food or atmosphere. I’d recommend AMA AMA over to for breakfast.

If your on-site I these characters are easy to meet onsite without the inflated cost of a Disney buffet.0

We did it on our honeymoon while staying at Aulani. It was very loud and very busy and chaotic, but the food was good and the character interaction was great. It reminded me of Chef Mickey's at WDW. We did prefer Ama Ama breakfast.

What are your other plans for the "west side" that day? There's not much in the vicinity of Aulani so if you weren't planning to visit Aulani for any other reason than Makahiki, then I would not say it's worth the trip. But if Aulani was included on your must sees for that day, then might as well enjoy a meal there to spend some time.

If you aren’t staying at Aulani it is the only way to meet Minnie, Mickey et al, if that is worth the cost to you then yes.

If your not in it for the characters it’s not particularly nice food or atmosphere. I’d recommend AMA AMA over to for breakfast.

If your on-site I these characters are easy to meet onsite without the inflated cost of a Disney buffet.0

Thank you for your response. Characters aren’t a priority, but we’re looking for a nice breakfast at Aulani before an eventful day. Thank you for the AMA AMA suggestion. Will look into it!

We did it on our honeymoon while staying at Aulani. It was very loud and very busy and chaotic, but the food was good and the character interaction was great. It reminded me of Chef Mickey's at WDW. We did prefer Ama Ama breakfast.

What are your other plans for the "west side" that day? There's not much in the vicinity of Aulani so if you weren't planning to visit Aulani for any other reason than Makahiki, then I would not say it's worth the trip. But if Aulani was included on your must sees for that day, then might as well enjoy a meal there to spend some time.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion! I think AMA AMA sounds like the direction we should go in if it’s anything like Chef Mickey’s (DH is not a fan!) We’ve got an afternoon swimming with dolphins in Waianae and are considering a stop in Aulani for breakfast.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion! I think AMA AMA sounds like the direction we should go in if it’s anything like Chef Mickey’s (DH is not a fan!) We’ve got an afternoon swimming with dolphins in Waianae and are considering a stop in Aulani for breakfast.
Since characters aren't a priority, Ama Ama would be a much better option for a nice, relaxing breakfast for adults. I would recommend making a reservation, but we never found it to be crowded there during the morning. The views are also wonderful, especially since there's no view at Makahiki. Ama Ama is pricey and its not all you can eat like Makahiki, but the mac nut pancakes were to die for!

Another vote for Ama Ama and the mac nut pancakes. Ask for an extra side of coconut syrup. We just got back and ate there 3 mornings and never had a wait. I would still make a reservation if you are traveling to get there. Also ask for a table waterside for the best views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter