Major Rehab Planned for Poseidon's Fury

hey coasterfev do they have any new names for it and when it gets closer to reopening after it closes can you tell us the new name. will this new theme fit in better with the lost continent better than PF.

cant wait for royal pacific resort !!!
:D :D

coasterFEV is there new things going on at the parks every week?
I was also wondering if want someone said on here is true. they said that universal will have a new attraction based on nickelodeon is this true?

Thank Jebeesus this is changing, it was one of THE WORST SHOWS I HAVE EVER SEEN! ...It was worse...than that movie "Bats".

GreenGoblinMadThrow.gif
It's Not easy being green......and everyone saying you wear pink.

One item in Coasterfev's description piqued my interest: new costiming for the Keeper.

I was a big fan of the old PF (I know a lot of people didn't like it) but one thing that always bugged me was the Keeper's tacky wig and beard. Here was an attraction that cost millions and they couldn't even come up with a few hundred extra bucks to give the Keeper a decent hairpiece and beard. All the more amazing because Universal is a movie-based theme park.

I was even tempted to start a movement here to collect money to pay for it.

Let's hope this time around they don't decide to save pennies in all the wrong places..

Kelly Monaghan
Author of "Universal Orlando: The Ultimate Guide to the Ultimate Theme Park Adventure" and
"The Other Orlando: What To Do When You've Done Disney & Universal""

im glad that they are changing the show. i was so disappointed the first time i saw it that ive never gone to see it again because i dont want to waste the time.

What was the reason for the change? Guest reaction? Bad Keeper wig? :)

guy.gif

Barry Hom
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

Click HERE for interesting Universal Orlando information!

Wow. I can't believe so many people didn't like it, I thought it was great, though a bit short.

Couldn't see much the first time we went. Was happy with the new platforms in the last room on our visit last month, but still don't really like the show. A change could be good.

We couldn't see most of the show. We were smashed next to people the entire time (sweat touching sweat is disgusting!). Every time we had to switch rooms, it was like a stampede (sp.?). I vowed I would never go back. Maybe the changes will fix these problems. I guess I'll have to give it another try in August! Thanks for the heads-up.

I am very interested to see the changes to this attraction. Although technically this ride appeared to continually improve, it always managed to leave you with the feeling that you missed something. It screamed for attention from it's creators in many areas including the highly important "Keeper" character. This one character had to carry the entire show. Too much emphasis on a redundant human performance in a theme park world, is like placing all of your hopes-for-ride-success eggs in one basket. Why do you think Walt Disney(et al) invented animatronics? There was too much risk that a "bad day" or even a "sick day" would cripple the attractions appeal/success. I can believe that this is one reason for the change of characters, "Keeper" to archelogical dig "worker". By doing this they are also not limited by the gender of the actor/actress that portrays that character.
I do not officially know how many actors actually played the keeper, but it had to be only a handful. With multiple shows, I would only speculate that the daily grind took it's toll on the very few "Keeper" actors.
Look over at "T-2,3-D" and you can tell that there are more than just a handful of actors that can play each of the parts. The lighting and proximity is such that just about any actor can be plugged in to any of the roles.
"Keeper" was a much more dramatically demanding role. He was right next to you. So close in fact that you could even see how bad his wig and beard were. He had to be good every time to make the story believable. Other actors, like in "T2,3-D" are essentially "human animatronics" and can just walk through their performance.
Now with the new "Archelogist" character, they are creating more of a tour guide type character(like the Jaws Boat Captains) that can be played by any person of any gender.
As far as effect improvements, I am interested to see how much better they will get. Upon first viewing(when it first opened) I knew that they had work to do, and they did. It has improved to be a very good effects driven show. I especially liked the vortex, water screen projections, the 3-d laser water screen projections, the explosive way they mixed water cannons/blasts and fire balls, and of course the mysterious finale.
However, the elements I did not like included most importantly the storyline. What a stretch. Like an idea that sounded good idea on paper but just could not be realized by it's screenwriter,director or show producer. I remember hearing RUMORS that prior to IOA's opening, this show went through a dress rehearsal for all of the park bigwigs and they were very unimpressed. And that's a BIG understatement. They delayed the opening and tried to re-work it but it seemed(again from an outside theme park fan, not a insider) like patch work and knowing this you felt like after viewing the attraction it was a "Lite" version of what it was supposed to be or maybe could have/should have been.
The show's whole set up was far fetched and too loosely based in legend/history to make such a giant leap from start to ending. And where the heck did the "Oracle" come from and why was it part of the show? The effect was even of lower quality than you can find in one of the travelling carnival laser shows. It just never created enough anticipation to lead to the incredible vortex effect. Then in the finale room(s?), the story fell short because there was just not appropriate set up. It was almost like each room was part of a separate attraction with it's only link being that they were under the same roof.
Maybe all of this is a little too much to expect of a marquee attraction that is the cornerstone of a heavily themed island in the best theme park in the world, but "They" are the one's that set our hopes so high to begin with.
Or maybe it just might be too much fan speculation mixed in with 20/20 hind sight, but news of this rehab/replacement is interesting to say the least.
Maybe next they will do the same(Rehab/Replace) to the Jurrasic Park River Adventure,
but that's another rant.
HAVE FUN

yeah tony i heard that rumor to that is why i didn't see the show when i went and cause it was to long of wait.i guess that might me a reason why they are changing it.

We made a point when in Orlando last week to visit PF. I have seen it 3 times previously, and love the attraction.

Whoever was doing the Thursday Morning show was VERY good. In the past the keeper character had stuck to the script a bit to much. This keeper took liberty with the part, adlibed and made jokes. It was great. This is also the first time that I have seen them hide the headset mic under the beard or in the Wig. (Earl/et all ...could you please tell me which mic they are wearing...I love the warmth of its pickup.)

I will miss this show, but am sure that Universal will come up with something even better. I can hardly wait.

One of the kids I work with wrote his own script for that show as part of an assignment for school. Interesting enough he wrote about an archeologist dig, and were transported to the story of Moses crossing the red sea...

Oh well...a final tribute to PF...
On to version 3.0

If so, I am Doomed!

Disney, USF, IOA, BGT, SW weekly since 1997
Quarterly since birth!

I liked Posiedon's Fury. I didn't think they needed to change a thing. It can't possibly be worse than the Steps In Time show over at Disney's California Adventure--Million Dollar Theater with a badly written stage show.

no it wasn't worse then that. I guess they just need a way to waste more money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter