Magic: January 24, 2013 - 3 night Bahamas

Hello Everyone. My wife and I just booked this cruise this week. We were looking for a quick getaway, saw the balcony GTY rates and decided to book. Plus I'll be in Florida on business the week following, so it was convenient for me.

We've cruised a lot on other lines, but this will be our first time on Disney. We'll be interested to compare.

Just curious ... do Disney cruisers not use the roll calls on the other cruise site (i.e. the one for "critics")? Not a lot of action going on over there.

John & Beverly

Hello Everyone. My wife and I just booked this cruise this week. We were looking for a quick getaway, saw the balcony GTY rates and decided to book. Plus I'll be in Florida on business the week following, so it was convenient for me. We've cruised a lot on other lines, but this will be our first time on Disney. We'll be interested to compare. Just curious ... do Disney cruisers not use the roll calls on the other cruise site (i.e. the one for "critics")? Not a lot of action going on over there. John & Beverly

I don't think that Disney cruisers are as active over there. Although I have been looking at the Ports of Call section to see if there were any recent suggestions / reviews on activities for Nassau. :)

Welcome aboard! I am sure that you will have a fabulous time. Disney cruising has become quite a bit addictive to our family.

I tried to book Palo on nights 2 or 3, but both nights are fully booked. Just wondering ... is it possible to get a reservation once onboard?

John

I'm also wondering (forgive the Disney newbie), the menu are Carioca's doesn't really appeal to me. If you want to make plans to dine elsewhere on that night, how do you know which night to make the reservation for? :confused3

John

I'm also wondering (forgive the Disney newbie), the menu are Carioca's doesn't really appeal to me. If you want to make plans to dine elsewhere on that night, how do you know which night to make the reservation for? :confused3

John

You won't know what your assigned dining rotation is until you get your Keys to the World card. You can call and request a specific dining rotation if you have one in mind. However, I don't believe that they'll guarantee that you'll receive the requested rotation.

In regards to your Palo question, DCL does hold back some of the reservations spaces for on board booking. You'll just want to make your reservation once you have boarded the ship. They'll have the information about where to go in the Navigator that they'll hand you after they have called your boarding group number.

For what it is worth: your server can (and will) bring you food from one of the other restaurants on board if you prefer. As long as the items you are ordering are being offered elsewhere on the ship, they can bring it to you in the dining room that you are eating in. Of course, there are multiple other places on board to get dinner but I just figured that I'd point that out in case you weren't aware. I personally plan on asking for Creme Brûlée on multiple nights. I asked our server on the Fantasy for it on the first night of our sailing and he brought it to our table (for myself and my table mates) each and every night. :cool1:

Anyways I hope that helped a little bit. :)

Thanks, that does help. It's good to know that you can order off the menus from the other dining locations. Will they bring you the menus from elsewhere, or do you have to know what the other locations are offering before you start?

I think we still want to try Palo, so we'll try to get a reservation once we board.

John

I would imagine that you'd need to know in advance what you wanted / liked from the other restaurants. Sorry that I'm not 100% there. :confused3 As I mentioned, I've only done it with dessert and I specifically asked for it at the very beginning of meal service to try and make it as easy as possible on the server. Of course Mickey Bars would have been an acceptable alternative if creme brûlée wasn't an available option. ;)

DCL will make off-menu items if necessary. I've read about passengers mentioning curry to their servers. Their servers must have spoke to the chefs about it because they had it made specifically for them on another night of the sailing. We experienced this on our first trip with DCL. Our server, Doan, wanted us to try some desserts from his home country of India and he brought them out one night for us. On that same sailing, my daughter (who was four at the time) would only order grilled cheese sandwiches when we'd go to dinner. They aren't on the menu but the chefs went ahead and made them specifically for her each night. I was shocked that they even made them on Castaway Cay! I feel that our head server really went above and beyond with that one since it obviously wasn't necessary but was appreciated. Thank goodness she grew out of that stage. :rolleyes1

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Mickey Bar? :confused: John

It is an ice cream bar with vanilla inside and chocolate coating on the outside. You can get them at the Disney Parks for several dollars a piece. They are similar to a Dove Ice Cream bar but in the shape of a Mickey Head. Mickey bars are free on the cruises; you can get them from room service or as a dessert at dinner. The difference being that they come out decorated at dinner with Mickey sprinkles and a little bit of chocolate sauce on them. Whereas room service will bring them in the wrapped container (please note that they aren't on the room service menu but they do bring them and for dessert they are on the kids menu so you won't see it listed there either). You should try one. :)

It is an ice cream bar with vanilla inside and chocolate coating on the outside. You can get them at the Disney Parks for several dollars a piece. They are similar to a Dove Ice Cream bar but in the shape of a Mickey Head. Mickey bars are free on the cruises; you can get them from room service or as a dessert at dinner. The difference being that they come out decorated at dinner with Mickey sprinkles and a little bit of chocolate sauce on them. Whereas room service will bring them in the wrapped container (please note that they aren't on the room service menu but they do bring them and for dessert they are on the kids menu so you won't see it listed there either). You should try one. :)

I love Dove bars, so I'll be sure to try one (or more). Thanks. :yay:

We decided to join you guys!! We are Florida residents also!! What areas of Florida is everyone from? We are from the panhandle!! It is me, DH DD 8 DS 6 and DS 2

I'm a little confused about the whole MDR rotation thing. Maybe someone can help.

I found some "Pirate Night" menus online somewhere and the menu didn't appeal to me. So that might be the night to try Palo. Then I read somewhere else that they don't use the Pirate Night menus in the MDRs on the 3 day cruises. So maybe not. :confused:

Does anyone know how the menus work on 3 day cruises? Does each restaurant keep its menu throughout all 3 days?

John

I'm a little confused about the whole MDR rotation thing. Maybe someone can help. I found some "Pirate Night" menus online somewhere and the menu didn't appeal to me. So that might be the night to try Palo. Then I read somewhere else that they don't use the Pirate Night menus in the MDRs on the 3 day cruises. So maybe not. :confused: Does anyone know how the menus work on 3 day cruises? Does each restaurant keep its menu throughout all 3 days? John

This is my first three night sailing but from what I have read, it appears that you are correct and there won't be a pirate night menu for our sailing. :) The Pirate night menu has always been the least appealing one to me so I will not miss it. Of course there are a few good items on there but I prefer the regular menus to the pirate one.

The answer to your last question is yes each restaurant serves the same menu every night. The difference lies is which diners are contained within the restaurant. You will have one night in each of them unless you end up going to Palo. The restaurant that you are assigned for the last night of the cruise will be the one that you dine at for the disembarkation breakfast.

Hello all, I'm new to these boards but have been on the "critic" ones for a while on different lines. Anyhow, I'm up to something sneaky. I can't go but my parents are. This will be their 31st anniversary. I don't know that mom knows about this forum or I'm busted. They are both in their 60's. Is there a FE happening for tis group? If so I'll coordinate the parts and pieces for them and gift everything for them a couple days before they leave. I'm working on several other things to make this a fantastic trip for them.

They will be going with me and DW, DS, and DD (their dime :) ) on the Fantasy on the week of Thanksgiving, so this is a getaway and a preview for them.

Whoever it was that created the FB group, when you see my join request you should be able to match it up to my forum name pretty easily.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Whoever it was that created the FB group, when you see my join request you should be able to match it up to my forum name pretty easily.

Is there a FB group for this cruise? I missed that, somehow, and I know my wife would love to hook up with that!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter