Magic Bands Upgrade

Now I'm thinking it probably would have been better if they didn't allow this except for new reservations. :rotfl:

Why do you think the Disney Store shows availability on all of the Magic Bands but none are showing as available when I try to upgrade for my upcoming trip?

Because they probably only earmarked a certain number of them to sell to guests at the discount.
Yep. Same concept with other items. An item might be available in a store but not online or vice versa. They give a certain allotment to each place.

So it's not a matter of physically being out of them. For some reason this is bugging me even more now that I know they physically have the bands to cover the demand which they created but are choosing to limit the allotment.

So it's not a matter of physically being out of them. For some reason this is bugging me even more now that I know they physically have the bands to cover the demand which they created but are choosing to limit the allotment.
It is a matter of the personalization facility (who may or may not be officially operated by Disney) being out of them. The quantities Disney has on hand are possibly just enough to cover the usual level of demand in the parks and online. There may be a whole separate supply chain for this program, with an initial quantity and replenishment rate that didn't account for so many people ordering immediately when their visit dates are several months away. So as I see it, the blame on this snafu is mostly on your fellow guests, not Disney.

Really annoying. I wanted the Stitch one, and was waiting on husband to tell me which one he wanted, we figured we'd just do it this weekend...

Didn't realize they were out.

16 days until my order deadline, so tick tock Disney, better get this sorted!

It is a matter of the personalization facility (who may or may not be officially operated by Disney) being out of them. The quantities Disney has on hand are possibly just enough to cover the usual level of demand in the parks and online. There may be a whole separate supply chain for this program, with an initial quantity and replenishment rate that didn't account for so many people ordering immediately when their visit dates are several months away. So as I see it, the blame on this snafu is mostly on your fellow guests, not Disney.

Silly. It's not a guests fault that they chose a new band for trips that are months away. No one knew Disney was going to send them out now. I'm sure everyone assumed they would arrive just as they normally arrive, a couple weeks before trip.

Sometimes things sell out. It happens.

I didn't order any and I am glad I waited. I figured I will have other choices by the time my trip gets close enough.

Checked our bands on the website last night. Two of them show what we ordered. Two show solid-color bands. I'm hoping the person who quoted the cast member is correct that it's just a visual glitch on the website. Maybe the bands they are out of don't show on your order screen for some IT-related reason.

I can't imagine Disney wants a bunch of people getting solid color bands after they paid the upgrade price. That's more work for their people trying to calm upset guests on the backend. At the very least they'd have to communicate if there is an actual problem. It's not out of the realm of possibility that it's an actual problem, but hopefully it's only the IT part that's buggy.

but hopefully it's only the IT part that's buggy.

I'm positive that the case. Disney has had IT problems since I started using their website about 2002 or so. I will never understand how they don't have a decent IT department with all the money they have. I've given up on it ever getting better after all these years. Same thing with FP+, half of them show, then go away, then show back up. It's just ridiculous, but nothing to worry about. In the end, I've always gotten what I reserved or ordered.

anyone else getting this message now? "Due to strong popularity, our MagicBand upgrade options are temporarily out of stock. Disney Resort hotel Guests and new and renewing Walt Disney World Annual Passholders may continue to choose from a selection of complimentary solid-color MagicBands. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are working to replenish our inventory as soon as possible."

anyone else getting this message now? "Due to strong popularity, our MagicBand upgrade options are temporarily out of stock. Disney Resort hotel Guests and new and renewing Walt Disney World Annual Passholders may continue to choose from a selection of complimentary solid-color MagicBands. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are working to replenish our inventory as soon as possible."
Yep!

That's great and I'm happy for you but it wasn't first come first served. It was whomever got the site to work was served. It should have been first come first served. Or even better it should have been that if you are within a certain window of your trip you get first pick because you're going in June and the people in November have to wait their turn.

I agree with this. People who aren’t going for 5 mths or later are getting their bands already while people who are going in the next couple months are not even able to order. This is definitely not first come first serve. I’ve been trying since Monday morning at 7am but keep getting the retry/dismiss issue and now there isn’t any except the complimentary ones. I still have 79 days to customize mine for my September trip so I’m just hoping they restock, I feel bad for those that go in the next month or 2. If they just waited to ship them at the normal timeframes I don’t think there would’ve been an issue with stock running out.

We ordered 4 upgraded bands for our trip at the end of June. We received three upgraded bands and one solid band (which was at least the color I had originally chosen before the upgrade availability.) I do wish they had sent a notice about the change so that we had a chance to choose a different upgrade. All in all, still content.

I still haven't gotten a shipping notification and still get a "page temporarily unavailable; we're working on it" error when I go to the edit screen for my magic bands, so I tried talking to a CM yesterday just to see if they had any insight into whether or not my order actually went through (since it's clear from other posters that the confirmation email doesn't really mean anything) and how to at least get solid bands customized if it didn't. They said there's no way for them to know anything until it moves from "order confirmed" to "shipped," so since mine appears to be hanging out in limbo between those stages, they can't tell me anything. I'll call back later this week and see if I can get any further with it; we're getting close to our customize deadline, and I'm going to be really unhappy if we end up having to pick up non-customized gray bands at the resort bc of the order being stuck in limbo and a website error.

We ordered 4 upgraded bands for our trip at the end of June. We received three upgraded bands and one solid band (which was at least the color I had originally chosen before the upgrade availability.) I do wish they had sent a notice about the change so that we had a chance to choose a different upgrade. All in all, still content.

I am afraid this will be us too. What annoys me is that I talked to three different CM's. Two told me it was a visual error on MDE and I would get the correct 4. One told me that they were coming from Shop Disney and if I get a solid color one there would be instructions on how to contact Shop Disney for the correct one as I should get what I ordered and what was on my confirmation email. Frustrating how poor the communication was in this progress. My son will end up with grey because I hadn't chose a different color for him yet and based on my MDE I am worried that they also changed the engraving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter