Magic Band/Card for children

Myothername

DIS Veteran
We won't be going until October, 2024 and likely things will change but.., how do the tickets work for children? I understand I can have a Magic Band, a hard ticket or use the app on my phone to get into the parks. Is that correct? But what about children? We will have 2 9 year olds, 2 4 year olds and 2 3 year olds (several families). The 9 year olds would be okay with a band but what about the others? And if the 9 year olds don't have a band or card will their tickets be linked on the parent's phone?

Even the youngest can wear bands and that is the best option for everyone. They can reach the tapstiles. Cards and phones will work but cards get lost and the phone will cause a traffic jam at the tapstile while you try to work the phone's magic.

I had a mom chastise me once as she tried to tap in 6 kids on one tapstile while we walked around her to use the other... "line breaker" she exclaimed!

My kids have worn the bands starting as soon as they needed tickets (so 3) and kept them on. I find it the easiest option if you're willing to buy them.

My 3 year old wears a band without any issue -so much easier to let them each scan in themselves IMO

I got my two older kids the new magic band plus but they’re 12 and 8 with their own cell phone for the extra games in line. My six and 3 year old wear there old regular bands. If the 3 year old didn’t have one she would definitely complain and feel left out. They really only need them if you plan on doing genie plus it would be a pain to pull out cards or your phone for them every ride.

One of the nice advantages to MB with young kids is that their bands are linked to their adults', which means that CMs can use them to get your contact info, should you get separated.

You can get cheap retainer loops on Amazon (designed for Fitbits) that will prevent kids from taking bands off easily.

I wear my kid’s MB on my other wrist, or just toss it into the bag.
Yep, this is the way to go. You can use your finger to scan in for your child so I just scanned us both in at the park entrance, and then again for LLs. SO much handier than having her wear it.

No one ever asked, but I usually told the CM which of I was scanning in as I was doing it. "This one's for her....now this one's mine."

For Lightning Lane one thing I noticed is if you try to scan too quickly it doesn't read the 2nd one. It needs a short bit to reset. So give it a second , or if it doesn't light up for the 2nd scan just pull your band away and try again.

This has been on my mind also. I find magic bands to be the easiest. The issue I am having is we are going with a large family that has never been, and there are very few magic band 2 choices available to choose. Magic band + is totally unnecessary for young children and I don’t need any more things to remember to charge. I used to be drowning in these things and now I can find some basic good ole 2’s for the kids. Right now there is one solid color choice (purple) which the boys don’t want and the MK land specific bands which- this family we are traveling with are not Disneyphiles so they don’t get it lol

Ideas?

Magic bands are easiest and my kids have never minded wearing them. They sell these little things that keep the band from falling off. However, every trip at least one kid has lost a band. When that happens we use cards or our phones but it does take more time. I do recommend having a redundant system. So magic band or ticket card AND download the electronic ticket into the parents’ iPhone wallets just in case the physical band/ticket is lost.

When we took DD at 3 and a half I just kept her band in my pocket so it didn't get lost. If the line wasn't too bad I would let her touch it to the tap spot, otherwise I just did it for her, and she loved getting to open the door at the hotel whenever we went back.

Truthfully, she could probably have worn it the whole time but we just didn't want to take the chance as it was a multi-family trip and she was very distracted playing with her cousins, so if it was lost she might not have realized it right away.

Keep in mind ONLY the Magic Band+ works at Disneyland - so if you intend to go there in the next few years, make sure those are the ones you buy for those family members. FYI, I don't wear mine at all, I bought a little holder for it on etsy (about $12) and slide it on my purse strap - it is invisible unless you're looking for it. I'm not a fan of the Size of the things, and would rather wear a watch that tells time ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter