Lunch on Embarkation Day

There are a couple of options, Cabana's and one of the Main Dining Rooms (MDR). Both are buffets with the same food choices. We prefer the MDR because you are seated at a table and a waiter brings your drinks. In Cabanas you go through the line to get your food and then walk around looking for a place to sit. Oh yes, doing that while wrangling your carryon luggage too.

And at Cabanas if you like brewed iced tea, you're out of luck as they only have the crud from the fountain! So, I'd also be adding the chore of brewing my own tea and getting multiple cups of ice to make my own brewed iced tea. That's why I'm always at the MDR!

Anyone know what time Cabanas closes on embarkation day? I was thinking of hitting the pools 1st and then going to Cabanas after 1:30 PM when staterooms are available. Will there be any food left if I wait to eat lunch until later?
I am interested in knowing this as well, for the Enchanted Garden on the Fantasy. We are taking DCL transportation from Animal Kingdom and I am worried we won’t get through checkin and photos, etc before it closes.

I am interested in knowing this as well, for the Enchanted Garden on the Fantasy. We are taking DCL transportation from Animal Kingdom and I am worried we won’t get through checkin and photos, etc before it closes.

I believe its open till 3ish...... It could change from ship to ship, port to port though.

We always have lunch upon embarking in whichever MDR is open. In our experience, the MDR stop seating at 1:30. Last time we were on the Fantasy then lunch was in Animator's Palate instead of Enchanted Garden. Big improvement in my book as the elevators are so busy at that point, getting a wheelchair on the midship elevators to get to EG was a challenge and not a relaxing start to the cruise. Cabanas is open later than the MDR. Concierge guests had an option of lunch in Royal Court.

OK, it looks to me like the seated dining room closes at 2:00 (but likely stops seating earlier) and Cabanas is open until 3:15.

We just traveled on Disney transportation to the Dream and had plenty of time for lunch at cabanas. We left CBR at 12:30. When we got to the port we checked in and got right in. Our room was already ready and had plenty of time to eat at Cabanas. We chose cabanas because we wanted to sit outside and take in the view.

If you skip Cabanas and go to one of the main dining rooms for lunch, is that an extra charge?

If you skip Cabanas and go to one of the main dining rooms for lunch, is that an extra charge?

No, that's included with your cruise fare.
Only uncharge restaurants are Palo and Remy (Dream & Fantasy for Remy only).

We rarely do cabanas. Just grab a table and watch disney trivia on the big screen and get food from the grill or other fast food places. You can also get wraps and salads at one of the places out there by the pool. Personally I don’t want to be stuck inside.

We rarely do cabanas. Just grab a table and watch disney trivia on the big screen and get food from the grill or other fast food places. You can also get wraps and salads at one of the places out there by the pool. Personally I don’t want to be stuck inside.

For us, the best start to our cruise is being out on deck with our lunch just taking in the scenery. Then you're on vacation!!!

Walk by the different places and then decide. We love Cabanas because everyone has a favorite they can get. I love the peel and eat shrimp. DD1 loves the crab legs and DD2 loves the chicken fingers and fries. We can take it outside or stay in.

It never quite feels like I’m on vacation until I’m sitting in (or out) at Cabana’s smelling the salt air, enjoying lunch on embarkation day. Especially digging in to that big pile of peel-n-eat shrimp. It’s our tradition. Since we usually are in one of the first boarding groups, we pretty much head right there and it is quiet at that point. We have our pick of seats (and food )

Anyone know what time Cabanas closes on embarkation day? I was thinking of hitting the pools 1st and then going to Cabanas after 1:30 PM when staterooms are available. Will there be any food left if I wait to eat lunch until later?

This is not only possible, it is a great idea. We ate a big breakfast that morning in the hotel, brought some snacks for the kids, and then intentionally didn't go to Cabanas until 1:30. When they announced that the cabins were open, Cabanas EMPTIED. No lines, no trouble finding seats inside or out. Yes, we still had our carry-on bags with us, but one person stayed with them at the tables and then when they first person came back with food, they went up. Oh, and they never came anywhere close to running out of food.

As a bonus, when we finished and went to our rooms, the hallways were empty too. (I had passed by the hallways with the room earlier and it looked like WDW pre-ropedrop with the number of people lining the halls waiting to get into the rooms.)

I prefer Cabanas and DH prefers a hamburger by the pool.

That's another good point. Not too many people mentioned it on this thread, but pool-side fast food options are also available if you like that sort of thing. All included in the price you already paid.

The reason I like to eat at the buffet on embarkation lunch time is because the wind is less than when the ship is in motion makes lunch more enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter