Lunch on Embarkation Day

cnunley424

Mouseketeer
Where do you typically eat lunch on Embarkation Day? Is Cabanas the only option? Going on the Disney Wonder, First DCL cruise, next week

We just did our first Disney cruise a couple of weeks ago (Magic) and we went to the table service restaurant for lunch once we were on board. Cabana's was also available but we wanted a waiter ;) It was noted in our Navigator (that we received at port) which restaurant was open.

The table service restaurant did have just a buffet - not menu service - but it was not crowded and the wait staff brought drinks/cleared plates.

It was a great way to start our cruise!

Where do you typically eat lunch on Embarkation Day? Is Cabanas the only option? Going on the Disney Wonder, First DCL cruise, next week
Since you will be on the Wonder, you have the option of the buffet lunch in Cabanas or a table-service lunch in Tritons, ordering from a new Embarkation Day menu. With the dining room remodel for Tiana's Place, there is no longer a buffet set-up in one of the main dining rooms on the Wonder.

I have done both Cabanas and a main dining room and I prefer the main dining room. More spacious and not as crazy as Cabanas. You're given an assigned area to sit whereas Cabanas is a free for all.

Actually, we skip both the buffet at Cabanas and whichever of the Main Dining rooms is open for lunch. Both can get crowded and crazy. We usually just grab something from the quick serve places on deck (a lot of people don't realize they are open for embarkation lunch), grab drinks from the drink station and find a table a little further away from the crowds heading to Cabanas. Even though the food choices aren't as exciting as seafood at the buffet, it gets us fresh air and a quicker, calmer start to our vacation.

We just did our first Disney cruise a couple of weeks ago (Magic) and we went to the table service restaurant for lunch once we were on board. Cabana's was also available but we wanted a waiter ;) It was noted in our Navigator (that we received at port) which restaurant was open.

The table service restaurant did have just a buffet - not menu service - but it was not crowded and the wait staff brought drinks/cleared plates.

It was a great way to start our cruise!

Just as a note, the "service buffet" restaurant (Carioca's on the Magic) DOES fill up. We always do Cabanas but were outside of Carioca's after for the restroom (we were wandering) and the greeter at the door was turning people away (well, they could wait but not being table service, the turnover was even more unpredictable, so they were really being encouraged to go up to Cabanas) because it was full.

We enjoyed the sit down lunch at Tritons on the Wonder. I do not like finding my own table while carrying my bags.

We prefer to eat at the buffet/Cabanas on embarkation day. I know a lot of guests prefer the dining room option for lunch, but for us, its the fun of being on a cruise, being outside up on deck (weather permitting) and seeing the port, that we enjoy. I don't want to get on a cruise and then be inside a restaurant.

We prefer to eat at the buffet/Cabanas on embarkation day. I know a lot of guests prefer the dining room option for lunch, but for us, its the fun of being on a cruise, being outside up on deck (weather permitting) and seeing the port, that we enjoy. I don't want to get on a cruise and then be inside a restaurant.
Same here. We prefer up top, outside. But, we have done the buffet option in the past when traveling with older family members. That's nice, also.

I've done both...I prefer the MDR buffet/sit down lunch vs Cabanas, in my experience b/c of the crowds. I was sad that the Wonder lost her buffet to Tiana's, but that's ok. I LOVE embarkation lunch.

We were on the Wonder a few weeks ago and Triton's is open for lunch on embarkation day. It is formal with white linens, quiet music and full service. It was not crowded at all. The menu is four courses. We loved it, especially traveling with a one and 4 year old. It was a very elegant way to start the cruise.

Last edited:
There are a couple of options, Cabana's and one of the Main Dining Rooms (MDR). Both are buffets with the same food choices. We prefer the MDR because you are seated at a table and a waiter brings your drinks. In Cabanas you go through the line to get your food and then walk around looking for a place to sit. Oh yes, doing that while wrangling your carryon luggage too.

Anyone know what time Cabanas closes on embarkation day? I was thinking of hitting the pools 1st and then going to Cabanas after 1:30 PM when staterooms are available. Will there be any food left if I wait to eat lunch until later?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter