Luck and Hard Work - March 2019 W.I.S.H. Goals

I've learned so much about this day thanks to this thread. I've only heard it called Fat Tuesday or Fasnacht Day. Never heard it referred to as Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday. I love learning new things. So I also had to look up the difference between fasnachts and paczkis. Determined neither are on my diet...but I did have a little piece of a fasnacht for tradition ;)
Around here we also call it Fat Tuesday, and there used to be a city sponsored celebration, until 2001 when there was a riot of drunken people beating each other up and it was canceled. I like the idea of eating pancakes better anyway.

Fasnacht is one I haven't heard of before, but it makes sense, with so much German/Dutch history up there in Pennsylvania. Fat Tuesday is the literal translation of Mardi Gras, and comes from the old tradition of using up all the "good" food (the fats, butter, sugar, etc) before the Lenten Fasts began (but before you feel too bad for those monks, remember they lived on "liquid bread"--beer-- for the whole lent season...) Pancakes were a convenient way of using up the last of those ingredients, or so the story goes...

My favorite tradition is the pancake races in England... *SO* wish this would catch on in the US!!!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/05/pancake-day-races-london-happening-times-8820924/

But for the topic... I do think it's a combination of both genetics and lifestyle... My husband loves coffee, creamer, red meat, and smoked for years. He hates all seafood--gags at the smell, let alone the taste-- and most vegetables... he'll eat lettuce with a ton of dressing, bell peppers, raw carrots and celery, green beans, potatoes, and peas (fresh/frozen.) Oh, and corn. He'll only drink milk if there's chocolate in it... you get the idea... His bloodwork is perfect, no cavities, nada. He's adopted, so I don't know if it runs in his family, but at any rate, he got lucky. His one really good habit is that he drinks a lot of water, though that only started in the last few years. Being Texan, he'll also guzzle sweet tea by the bucket if it's available...

Meanwhile, I have to work at it, always have, and when I don't, it shows. Even when I'm being really "good," my blood sugar sits naturally right at the cutoff line... but my family has a long history of horrendous health, so I've always known that it was coming. I feel lucky that after all I put my body through, it hasn't revolted on my worse than it has. :)

Last edited:
:woohoo:We've reached "Woohoo Wednesday" everyone - halfway through the week!!

What are you proud of; what's going well?

I've been keeping up with "natural exercise" - thanks to the snow (lot's of shoveling and playing outside with the kids in my life) and drinking water. Yesterday, I had way too much sugar, but other that that, portion control has been on track as well.

I will start the Woohoos as it is already Wednesday night for me o_O

I am struggling a little today so I need to find my "thrive' mindset.

• Firstly - I will :woohoo:that I meal planned and SHOPPED for most things on the weekend - so that means it has been much less effortful to meal prep this week.
  • Secondly I will :woohoo: the courtyard area I have been creating since we moved in - it is starting to come together and gives me a nice peaceful place that I enjoy to sit outside - I sat out there this afternoon in the fresh air to finish of some work on my laptop.
  • Lastly I will :woohoo: DS15 - He performed a stand-up comedy routine in a competition which is connected to the Melbourne Comedy Festival - kids try out in heats and it gets narrowed and progressed to Brisbane, then Melbourne. He did not win though - but I am still woohooing because I think he did really well - he got lots of laughs - there were 2 local radio presenters as judges and he got some good laughs from one of them who we listen to each morning on the radio - so that is cool. AND despite his disappointment he was very gracious and complementary about the boy that did go to the next stage. :love:my boy.

:rotfl2:@PollyannaMom we must have been typing at the same time - and you beat me to posting - so now it looks like I didn't jump the gun after all :-)

My woohoo is that I found a new workout that I'm enjoying. I use Beachbody and a friend introduced me to Cize (I enjoy dancing!). This is a great cardio workout for me, although I can't always figure out the routines right away to the tempo. I'm also trying LIIFT4. But those are pretty difficult, so I tried yesterday to do it in smaller sections. I did half of the lifting in the morning. Then I did the other half of the lifting after school. Another woohoo...I got my son to join me :) Also a woohoo and teaser...I think I have a recipe to share on Friday. Family liked it last night :)

I've learned so much about this day thanks to this thread. I've only heard it called Fat Tuesday or Fasnacht Day. Never heard it referred to as Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday. I love learning new things. So I also had to look up the difference between fasnachts and paczkis. Determined neither are on my diet...but I did have a little piece of a fasnacht for tradition ;)

I had to look up Fasnacht. I have never heard of them before. I am sure this one would have been healthier then the Paczki that i had with powder sugar and vanilla filling. I have learned a lot as well.

My genetics were awesome as a kid. Eat what i want and never gain a pound. I was 95 pounds when I graduated high school. Well then I had kids and then a desk job and now I gain very easily. I am luck in the fact that as of right now I have not inherited issues that run in my family other then eczema. My mom and Uncle have celiac, an aunt is diabetic and we also have lupus and RA in the family. I do have low blood sugar but as long as I watch what I eat for the most part I am fine.

My woohoo for today is that activities for the kids are pretty much on a break for the month. DS with have track but it is after school and I will pick him up on my way home each day and DD will have her riding lesson on Mondays. We will get some house stuff done. Yeah!!!

Woohoo - The Cow is back!

upload_2019-3-6_7-22-51.png

He's been a fixture in the neighborhood since that building was built in the 1920's and housed Mike's Meats, a butchery. The building has recently been rehabbed into a craft beer brewery which is opening this week, so they've just put the cow (who is technically a Pollard Hereford steer but everyone calls him The Cow) back on the roof. Everyone is happy... that he's back and that there's another place to drink beer in the 'hood. And yes, that is a bright blue winter sky in the background, but not to fear... we're expecting snow tomorrow. Yup.

Woohoo - I got 12,000 steps in yesterday, so now I'm only 7600 step below my target goal.

Another Woohoo - it looks like the go-live date for my next project is slipping from 5.1 to 5.13. I have friends who will be at WDW 4.26 thru 5.5 and was planning on joining them before I got this project, now I'm thinking I might go down 4.26 to 5.1.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Two late breaking Woohoos... I've been needing to get my brows touched up (they are micro-bladed) and figured I'd have to wait for several weeks, but got an appointment for tomorrow night! I'm also going to start putting color back in to my hair and decided to go back to a gal who used to do it and also figured it would be weeks and weeks before I could see her - but got an appointment for Friday!

Last edited:
Winter has been such a problem for me in years past-too much comfort food, glass of wine and cheese every night...and since I was always about 5-10lbs over my goal weight, by the time April came around my clothes didn’t fit and I was so annoyed with myself! This year I headed into the holidays below my goal weight and I have kept in a healthy weight range. So I am proud of that-heading into spring and not 20lbs overweight is a big accomplishment for me.

Well, my big woohoo for the week remains that I got to go out on the trail on Monday, did 6.3(ish, I got turned around a couple times and did a little extra) miles and physically survived. So aside from needing a few things gear-wise, I'm feeling really good about my upcoming road trip.

Alas, I remain firmly anchored here on the plateau... this morning I was back up 3 oz to where I was 2 weeks ago. Hopefully this won't last too much longer. I planned carefully for today, and did stay within my calorie range and get all my nutrients, but I was higher up in my range than I would have liked, and man, I have the munchies *SO* bad right now!!! But I've resigned myself to just live with them until bedtime... I've had plenty of snacks, and I don't want to go over. It was cold and windy today (cue Sweetpeama laughing and saying "y'all don't know what cold IS!!!") so I only did a mile at the park. DD15 was with me and the wind was burning our faces, since I didn't think to bring scarves with us in March...

I have all my meals planned for tomorrow, nothing very interesting, but until the scale starts moving again, I have to stay on the straight and narrow... (boo!!!) But I'm glad y'all suggested trying a new recipe each week. I've been poking around pinterest trying to find something my rotten family will agree to eat... so far, no luck, but I've found things I can try on my own, which is better than nothing!

@4Mickeys, that is totally cool about your son and the comedy show! Good for him!!!

Topic Thursday -

What's your favorite form of exercise?

(And keep it clean, folks - this is the DIS. :laughing: )

I like outdoor exercise when I can get it - walking with a friend, hiking in nature, really, really amateur sports...even shoveling snow. (DH can't believe I actually don't mind that!)

Boredom is my enemy in the exercise department! I need it to be social, or useful, or at least entertaining. (I'm the one with a yoga video on the TV, but a simultaneous funny YouTube video on the computer, because I can't "just breathe".)

I like walking. At the rec on the treadmill I get to watch TV. I have Netflix on my phone. Right now I am watching "Call the Midwife". Once I am caught up I will watch this last season of "Fuller House" and then the "Crown" if we ever get a new season. In the summer I do like to walk outside with either DH or a friend of mine. I don't like walking on my own as I get bored unless I am playing Pokemon Go but that still gets a little boring.

I love to get out and walk. We have a beautiful wooded trail behind our neighborhood. I don’t mind walking by myself because there are always other people walking or biking. I love hearing the birds, watching the leaves change. And when we’re at the beach we can walk to a park on the bay that has a great path. I wish I could download pictures, but it tells me the file is too big? Anyway, I love being outside, walking and thinking my thoughts. I get a lot of things sorted out in my head on these walks!

Last edited:
What's your favorite form of exercise?

I enjoy dancing. I used to do Beachbody's Country Heat videos as my cardio, but I recently discovered Cize. So that's my new favorite right now. I do like lifting as well, but definitely enjoy that more if I'm doing it with someone else. So I'm so happy my son wants to start joining me. We just use dumbbells at home. But I'm sure as he enters high school, he'll move onto the bigger stuff at the gym. When it gets nicer out, we like to go for bike rides or walks as a family. But its usually not consistent enough for me to count as my workout. I just look at those as bonus exercises!

I'm also a walker, and will do the neighborhood walks by myself but for some reason walking/hiking out in nature by myself makes me very nervous... possibly because not hiking alone is something my dad was adamant about. I need to find a walking buddy, which I know I've said many times here, but it just hasn't happened.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the week after Easter off, but I keep going round-and-round about whether or not to go to WDW, to meet up with friends. There's going to be so much more business travel between now and summer, that being away from home voluntarily just feels like too much. If I did a stay-cation I was thinking I could start with having the house professionally cleaned, do a spa day and day trips around the area. I was even thinking I could spend some of the vacation $$$ that would be spent going to WDW, on a couple new pieces of furniture. Hmmmm.... stay-cation is sounding better and better.

Oh, and we do have snow this morning. At my house it was about an inch when I left and the bus driver really struggled because the roads weren't groomed, but in the city it's just rain.

I wish I could download pictures, but it tells me their too big?

Yes it is a bit fiddly - sometimes you have to resize them - I use Paint that comes installed in the computer - I think some others download software to do it. I had to google to learn how to do it a few years ago :-)

Okay, I am trying to figure this out! I’m doing this from my phone, so bear with me :upsidedow!
Anyway, that’s my walking trail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!