Lotion or spray sunscreen for Florida?

Spray is fine unless you're putting it on in windy weather. I learned that the hard way at the beach a few years ago... Ouch! Spray just doesn't protect when it's being blown around everywhere but where you want it! I would pack a lotion, too, just in case.

Like I said - spray into hand and apply. I generally don't spray it directly anyways because I don't like overspray getting everywhere. I frankly do like sprays, because often the ingredient list is just the active sunscreen ingredients, polymer (to help bond with skin), a few emollients, and the alcohol which goes away. There's typically fewer ingredients that will feel clammy or sticky with sweat. Most lotions feel clammy once soaked in sweat.

One of the biggest issues with spray on sunscreen is that not enough is used. It tends to go on thin and most people don't like the feel of too much sunscreen on the skin. Theoretically the equivalent protection of 1 oz of lotion sunscreen should be 1 oz of the spray liquid (before evaporation). I don't know if I necessarily buy the following recommendation, but what I get from the recommendation is that anyone using a spray sunscreen should pay attention to how much is applied.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2013/05/30/the-facts-on-sunscreen/

We asked Dr. Joseph Merola, a dermatologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and an instructor at Harvard Medical School, for some answers.

The spray-on sunscreens don’t work. “The problem with spray-on sunscreens…we don’t generally recommend them. They are convenient, but there’s about three reasons why we don’t recommend them. People tend to not use them enough. So you really have to spray your arm or whatever it is, whatever area you’re covering, until it’s really wet and saturated, and then rub it on. Most people do not do that; they mist their skin, and that’s not sufficient.​

We have used sprays for years with no problems or burns. You do need to deal with wind. And we try to be polite and not spray near others in a public place (like a crowded water park). We spray it into our hands to apply to the face so we don't have to 'hold our breath and run' to avoid breathing it in. lol.

Again, highly dependent on what you're using. Some are thin lotions like Coppertone Water Babies. The can says it's a lotion spray. The directions specifically say rub into skin. And every spray sunscreen I've seen has instructions to spray into the hands for applying on the face. And that's also the only practical way to get it on the ears unless you want to deal with sunscreen in your hair.

WaterBABIES_SPF50_6oz_QuickCover_Lotion_Spray.png

My experience with any of the thin sprays is that they tend to drip. So either you end up overspraying and it drips off or you might miss a spot or have less over a particular spot. Rubbing it in help for me in that it might spread over a spot that the mist didn't cover. Mostly I spray into my hand, especially if I'm trying to get it under a shirt sleeve. There are a lot of doctors' recommendations to rub in spray sunscreens.

https://www.babble.com/body-mind/6-tips-for-using-spray-sunscreen/

Whether you’re doing laps in the pool, going for a sunny run, or simply staying active in the backyard, use these tips from Seattle, Wash. dermatologist Dr. Heather Rogers of the Madison Skin and Laser Center to make sure that spray sunscreen does its job properly.

Tips for Spray Sunscreen

1. Use enough. According to Rogers, spray sunscreens are as effective as lotions and creams, provided that you use enough. It’s recommended to use a shot glass full of lotion-type sunscreens, so be sure to spray enough of the sprays to feel like you have ample coverage.

2. Rub it in. Whether the instructions call for it or not, be sure to rub the sunscreen in once you apply it. Sprays can concentrate more in certain areas, so rubbing it in ensures more even coverage, Rogers says.

https://www.solrx.com/blog/applying-spray-on-sunscreen-need-to-rub-it-in/

Do I Really Have to Rub Spray Sunscreen In?

The short answer is yes. No matter whether the instructions call for it or not, you should rub your spray-on sunscreen in. This is because even fine sprays will coat your body unevenly, and rubbing it in ensures that you get more even coverage. Rubbing also helps your body absorb the sunscreen more easily. Make sure that you don’t rub too vigorously, because this may actually reduce the effectiveness of your sunscreen.​

The biggest issue I have with some sunscreens (especially the sprays) is the plastic bonding agents that are used to make them water resistant. It's not so much that they're bad but that you get these weird issues when reapplying sunscreen. It just kind of sloughs off like dead skin in the shower when reapplied.

Thanks for the dissertation. At the end of the day, spray works great for us, no rubbing needed.

I tend to use lotion on my face because I'm very particular about using sunscreens with both chemical and physical active ingredients.

I do the same on my hands since I have to reapply every time I wash them.

Maybe a dumb question, but can you pack the spray in your checked luggage? Trying to decide what is easier to pack, or should we just buy when we get there.

I made a major mistake a few years ago with a spray. We were switching resort and I threw the can in the suitcase. Unknown to me, the top was not closed properly. Sometime during the moved something pressed on the button and released almost a whole can onto my clothes. I had to throw away a few things that absorbed the spray and the suitcase smelled like sunscreen for months.

I like spray, mostly because my kids are squirmy and don't like to get sunscreen applied. I can get spray on them faster and more efficiently than I can lotion.

Maybe a dumb question, but can you pack the spray in your checked luggage? Trying to decide what is easier to pack, or should we just buy when we get there.

Yes, you can. But if you have access to a car or a way to buy it off site, I'd save the room in your luggage and do that. You can buy on site but you'll pay through the nose.

Anyone have any solo sunscreen application on back tips? I normally use lotion then try and aim the spray at my back but always missing part.

Lotion. You end up inhaling the spray.

I had liked the sprays for ease of application and the fact they generally went on fairly dry, however the growing inhalation concerns have me going back to the lotions. Coppertone Water Babies and the Aveeno lotions for babies are some of the most highly rated for good results and good ingredients.

I like to travel light. I carry/use the sunscreen packets. Very convenient.

51vR23Dk11L._SY450_.jpg

How did I not know about these?!?

I will definitely be picking some up to have handy.

That said, I generally bring both on vacation, and also a stick. I prefer lotion, DS prefers spray initially and stick for quick re-applies to the face - and in the end, I'm for whatever gets us all to put some on!

How did I not know about these?!?

I will definitely be picking some up to have handy.

That said, I generally bring both on vacation, and also a stick. I prefer lotion, DS prefers spray initially and stick for quick re-applies to the face - and in the end, I'm for whatever gets us all to put some on!

The packets tend to be more expensive, and once opened it might need to be in a plastic bag if not tossed. Nothing wrong with them, but there's a cost for the convenience.

I don't know if the Banana Boat ones are sold in stores. I saw one place that sold them online, and some reviews claimed they were manufacturer's samples.

Both. I like the lotion (liquid shirt) for faces and spots not typically exposed to long term bouts in the sun. I do like the spray for re-application times though. The sticks are cool, too - but it got all melty in my bag last year...ick. LOL.

We use both for different purposes/areas
The lotions that I have are way less waterproof and sweatproof than the spray we use.
I have gotten burnt in areas where I only used lotions, and did not re-apply often enough.

The Neutrogena spray that we have used is GOOD, and it protects for a long time!
It was the one in the silver can... But, DH picked up the light/baby blue mist can last time?
I use the Liquid Lotion, mixed with a bit of foundation make-up on my face.
It has to be the 'liquid lotion'... Non greasy, and doesn't clog pores, cause zits, or break outs.

We use both for different purposes/areas
The lotions that I have are way less waterproof and sweatproof than the spray we use.
I have gotten burnt in areas where I only used lotions, and did not re-apply often enough.

The Neutrogena spray that we have used is GOOD, and it protects for a long time!
It was the one in the silver can... But, DH picked up the light/baby blue mist can last time?
I use the Liquid Lotion, mixed with a bit of foundation make-up on my face.
It has to be the 'liquid lotion'... Non greasy, and doesn't clog pores, cause zits, or break outs.

The "sport" sunscreens are in general more "waterproof", even though they can't use that term any more. The original Bullfrog used to be the standard for that, but it mostly used beeswax to help it bond to skin. It also wasn't great for acne prone skin. It not only stuck to the skin, but it also stuck to anything else. I heard it was popular with surfers, but sand would also stick to it. I used to wear it riding my bike, and if there was any dust or pollen I'd have a nice coating. I do remember when Coppertone Sport was kind of the standard for sweat proof sunscreen that wasn't quite as sticky. It's changed a lot over the years though. A lot of the spray sunscreens are nothing but the active sunscreen and some sort of plastic, so those will stay on aggressively.

There are some sunscreens that use silicone oil. It's good in a way, because it's somewhat of a lubricant that makes it feel less sticky. The main issue is that they will destroy polystyrene plastics, including ABS. The worst for me was when Neutrogena had a spray sunscreen that included a polystyrene cap that slowly started to warp from contact with the sunscreen. If you use that, you need to be careful what you touch. Here's a discussion on that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAd...creen_dissolving_plastic_electronic_products/

I use all the sunscreen! I start the day with a spray base on my entire personage, so no matter where my straps hit, or what position I'm in, in the sun, I've got it. I am careful about applying it over time so it dissappates a bit. I use a moisturizer, with high spf, then sunscreen lotion, and THEN my makeup with spf. I do lotion on my shoulders/chest/exposed back on top of the spray. I wear a wide brimmed hat. I leave the parks when they get crowded and hot for the pool and spray a bit more while changing into my suit. Then I get ready for the evening with a bath, actually do my hair and do the entire process all over. I've never gotten a suntan, more or less a sunburn in my adulthood.

Something that's great about the spray is when at the pool, if you apply it before dressing, you don't wind up with some weird place that got burned which can be more easily missed with lotion. I've had girlfriends that got some weird little burns from swimsuit position changes in the sun.

They both will work but I notice that we get a lot more usage out of a bottle of lotion then a spray bottle.

Thanks BCLA.
And, yes it is true that an expensive spray can of sunscreen can go VERY quickly!

My main thing is that, even though both the lotions and the sprays I use have the same water-resistant rating... They are NOT equal!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter