Lotion or spray sunscreen for Florida?

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
:hyper: Only a little over three weeks until I leave for Disney World!!!! I've always used lotion sunscreen. I never cared for other kinds. My DD 11 likes the spray kind the best. I'm wondering because of the heat and humidity in Florida, does it make a difference what kind you use?

The particular sunscreen is more important than whether it's a lotion, spray, etc. I've tried some that were lotions but not sticky at all after sweating.

I don't like the sprays at all for ANYWHERE. They super drying because they're full of alcohol. That alone is irritating to my kids' skin nevermind a burn. We have been using this Coppertone lotion that comes in a light blue bottle for a few years now for all day swimming sessions and haven't had a single burn(with re-application of course).

DH likes the spray, but when he uses it in the room, it really irritates me and makes me cough, so I would rather he use the lotion

We actually use both.

Apply the lotion before leaving hotel room in the morning. Spray is easier, so that's what we use to reapply in the parks.

I don't like the sprays at all for ANYWHERE. They super drying because they're full of alcohol. That alone is irritating to my kids' skin nevermind a burn. We have been using this Coppertone lotion that comes in a light blue bottle for a few years now for all day swimming sessions and haven't had a single burn(with re-application of course).

Not all sprays are alcohol based. Some Coppertone sprays are basically just thin lotions. They're still flammable though.

I use NEUtrogena spray. I burn really easily, and I always seem to miss spots (even spots I KNOW I put lotion on). The spray seems to give me better coverage.

However, you can't apply it in the wind-- the spray blows away before it hits your skin. I usually take a bottle of lotion to the beach for reapplication.

I use NEUtrogena spray. I burn really easily, and I always seem to miss spots (even spots I KNOW I put lotion on). The spray seems to give me better coverage.

However, you can't apply it in the wind-- the spray blows away before it hits your skin. I usually take a bottle of lotion to the beach for reapplication.

Any kind of spray can be sprayed into the hand. I don't know of any sunscreen that's adequately applied without rubbing in, no matter what the manufacturer claims.

I like to use a lotion initially and then a spray to reapply, especially after swimming. I feel the lotion is better but the spray is so much easier to reapply that I'm far more likely to do it and more often!

Any kind of spray can be sprayed into the hand. I don't know of any sunscreen that's adequately applied without rubbing in, no matter what the manufacturer claims.

Any spray is adequately applied without rubbing in. We use spray, store brand (usually CVS or WalMart stuff). As long as it's not windy, it's easy and quick. No rubbing needed, no burns. But yeah, like Soldier's Sweetie said, it's drying. So I use spray everyone except the face, where I will use Nutragena (sp?) lotion with SPF.

We actually use both.

Apply the lotion before leaving hotel room in the morning. Spray is easier, so that's what we use to reapply in the parks.

This exactly. The lotion is better at covering so we start with that amd then reapply with spray.

Any spray is adequately applied without rubbing in. We use spray, store brand (usually CVS or WalMart stuff). As long as it's not windy, it's easy and quick. No rubbing needed, no burns. But yeah, like Soldier's Sweetie said, it's drying. So I use spray everyone except the face, where I will use Nutragena (sp?) lotion with SPF.

Again, highly dependent on what you're using. Some are thin lotions like Coppertone Water Babies. The can says it's a lotion spray. The directions specifically say rub into skin. And every spray sunscreen I've seen has instructions to spray into the hands for applying on the face. And that's also the only practical way to get it on the ears unless you want to deal with sunscreen in your hair.

WaterBABIES_SPF50_6oz_QuickCover_Lotion_Spray.png

My experience with any of the thin sprays is that they tend to drip. So either you end up overspraying and it drips off or you might miss a spot or have less over a particular spot. Rubbing it in help for me in that it might spread over a spot that the mist didn't cover. Mostly I spray into my hand, especially if I'm trying to get it under a shirt sleeve. There are a lot of doctors' recommendations to rub in spray sunscreens.

https://www.babble.com/body-mind/6-tips-for-using-spray-sunscreen/

Whether you’re doing laps in the pool, going for a sunny run, or simply staying active in the backyard, use these tips from Seattle, Wash. dermatologist Dr. Heather Rogers of the Madison Skin and Laser Center to make sure that spray sunscreen does its job properly.

Tips for Spray Sunscreen

1. Use enough. According to Rogers, spray sunscreens are as effective as lotions and creams, provided that you use enough. It’s recommended to use a shot glass full of lotion-type sunscreens, so be sure to spray enough of the sprays to feel like you have ample coverage.

2. Rub it in. Whether the instructions call for it or not, be sure to rub the sunscreen in once you apply it. Sprays can concentrate more in certain areas, so rubbing it in ensures more even coverage, Rogers says.

https://www.solrx.com/blog/applying-spray-on-sunscreen-need-to-rub-it-in/

Do I Really Have to Rub Spray Sunscreen In?

The short answer is yes. No matter whether the instructions call for it or not, you should rub your spray-on sunscreen in. This is because even fine sprays will coat your body unevenly, and rubbing it in ensures that you get more even coverage. Rubbing also helps your body absorb the sunscreen more easily. Make sure that you don’t rub too vigorously, because this may actually reduce the effectiveness of your sunscreen.​

The biggest issue I have with some sunscreens (especially the sprays) is the plastic bonding agents that are used to make them water resistant. It's not so much that they're bad but that you get these weird issues when reapplying sunscreen. It just kind of sloughs off like dead skin in the shower when reapplied.

I've been using spray sunscreen exclusively for at least five years now. I'm a fair skinned redhead and it works well for me. I don't rub it in, except for in and behind my ears.

Some of the store brands have a noxious smelling propellant.

Last edited:
Spray is fine unless you're putting it on in windy weather. I learned that the hard way at the beach a few years ago... Ouch! Spray just doesn't protect when it's being blown around everywhere but where you want it! I would pack a lotion, too, just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter