Losing my patience... should I just move on?

Dollywood is a local park to us. We've held AP there
It's very redneck
We are very redneck here
Like it or not we must face that fact
Dreammore is a lovely resort
It is not better than anything Disney offers.
It's really impossible to compare Disney and Dollywood. I hope you enjoy your trip to my neck of the woods
I usually stay at the poly. Dreammore was much better! The Free parking and complete daily room service alone beats Disney. Loved the park.

Disney didn't lie about parking. They said it was the industry standard in Orlando. Disney was the last major hotelier to charge for parking. It was already implemented at The Swan and Dolphin and most of the hotels in Disney Springs (Downtown Disney actually, that's how far back the Hilton was charging for parking).

Even the Marriott Village across I-4 from Disney is charging $17 per night per vehicle. Plus the Courtyard charges an "amenity fee" of $5 per night. Every major hotel along I Drive also charges for parking, some as much as $35, and they also charge resort fees.
I was talking about Dollywood when I made my statement which is not in Orlando. There are plenty of theme parks outside of Orlando. Hotel Hershey at Hershypark is an upscale hotel and has free parking, Breakers hotel which is just about located inside of Cedar Point has free parking. Disney didn't claim it was Orlando standard, they said it was industry standard

That's a dishonest statement. Industry standard doesn't require 100% of the hotels charge for parkng.

The Universal Hotels charge for parking. Swan and Dolphin charge..Gaylord Palms charges. The hotels in DS charge. The big Marriott hotel charges. Disney was one of the last resorts in the Orlando area to charge.

I'm surprised Disney waited so long. Disney aims to lead the industry in coming up with ways to charge more and give less
You are correct it doesn't have to be 100% to be considered industry standard; however, the only time I have had to pay for parking for a hotel is if it is in a downtown area where the hotel doesn't own the parking or there parking lot is open to the public not just the hotel. Even in the case the hotel owns the parking, I have not had to pay for the parking at all hotels. It has been 50/50 based on my experience. They usually have a way to validate the parking for hotel guests. If a hotel has plenty of land for the parking, I have never had to pay for parking. For this reason, I believe that Disney charging for hotel parking to hotel guests is just a money grab and using the term "industry standard" is a lame excuse. I have never seen any of the hotel lots even close to full to warrant them trying to limit the parking.

Been doing both parks since we started going to Orlando regularly in 2000. Love both. Different vibes, and have always done Disney more often than Universal. We've been getting Disney APs since buying DVC in 2011. Usually work in 2-3 Disney trips in a year, then take off a year to 18 months, and often did Universal or beach during the 'off' times.
Not having ANY access to APs is totally affecting everything we do as for planning Disney trips now. Never imagined in our wildest worst-case scenarios that Disney would not sell APs at all (except to FL residents.)
Our original June trip changed from all of us going, to just 2 of us (plus DD's friend,) going for DD's graduation trip. Likewise, we're going in Oct, and so far only DH has tickets. Since I went in June, I may not buy any Disney tickets, and only get like 2-3 days for DS. we have absolutely no intention of buying day tickets on a regular basis in the coming years. If Disney doesn't offer APs, we'll look at skipping Disney, renting out our DVC points, or trading them for other locations.
We bought Universal APs last Oct, and have LOVED, LOVED our trips to Universal. went to HHN for the first time last year, and totally hooked. Our Oct trip this year will be using 2 days at Universal, APs expire during the trip, and 1 night HHN. Universal has a LOT to offer, great resorts, great new rides, just a lot of fun. It's not the vibe of Disney, and only 2 parks compared to 4, but it's a destination for us for sure.
we're still hoping Disney APs might be offered before October, but not holding our breath.

Last edited:

You are correct it doesn't have to be 100% to be considered industry standard; however, the only time I have had to pay for parking for a hotel is if it is in a downtown area where the hotel doesn't own the parking or there parking lot is open to the public not just the hotel. Even in the case the hotel owns the parking, I have not had to pay for the parking at all hotels. It has been 50/50 based on my experience. They usually have a way to validate the parking for hotel guests. If a hotel has plenty of land for the parking, I have never had to pay for parking. For this reason, I believe that Disney charging for hotel parking to hotel guests is just a money grab and using the term "industry standard" is a lame excuse. I have never seen any of the hotel lots even close to full to warrant them trying to limit the parking.
Disney was literally the last place I travelled regularly that didn't charge for parking.
Every hotel I stay at in City centers has charged, and this is hotels with parking garages within their buildings, not public outside the hotel. Never have I had a hotel validate parking either. Some offered packages that included discounted parking, which we've used if it was a good deal. We check in to a hotel tomorrow night and it charges for parking. Valet parking is the only option on top of that. No self parking period. That is becoming more and more common in City centers, taking it one step further than paid parking. But when I've stayed in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, Denver, Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Charlotte, DC and I'm sure some I've forgotten, over the past few years, I paid for parking. I have no doubt you can find free or validated but I think NOT paying for it, or having it validated is the exception, not the other way around.
Now, when you get out to suburb hotel areas I do not find they charge for parking as a norm.

I'm not sure if it matters whether or not it is "standard." Disney charges for it.
Absolutely!
It wasn't just specific film titles, either. The themes of the various Lands were chosen to be evocative of the movie genres produced by the studio. Neal Gabler's excellent biography of Walt Disney goes into some detail about this around the history of Disneyland.

Disneyland was 100% corporate synergy from the jump. It was also high-quality family-friendly entertainment, as it is possible to be both.

Disney was literally the last place I travelled regularly that didn't charge for parking.
Every hotel I stay at in City centers has charged, and this is hotels with parking garages within their buildings, not public outside the hotel. Never have I had a hotel validate parking either. Some offered packages that included discounted parking, which we've used if it was a good deal. We check in to a hotel tomorrow night and it charges for parking. Valet parking is the only option on top of that. No self parking period. That is becoming more and more common in City centers, taking it one step further than paid parking. But when I've stayed in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, Denver, Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Charlotte, DC and I'm sure some I've forgotten, over the past few years, I paid for parking. I have no doubt you can find free or validated but I think NOT paying for it, or having it validated is the exception, not the other way around.
Now, when you get out to suburb hotel areas I do not find they charge for parking as a norm.
Sorry I didn't make this clear in my post. I do consider Disney's hotel parking more like what you called the suburb hotel parking. They are not garages and there is plenty of land and plenty of availability for parking. It is not in a City Center type space. Just because it is near to Orlando does not make it a city center.
We can agree to disagree on this point.

Point: Disney hotel rates are high and it was nice that parking was included

Counterpoint: A parking fee was effectively built into the room rate, and shared by everyone including those who did not bring a car

When Disney decides to raise prices, it's more about the "how" than the "why". If resort parking was still "free", they would have goosed the room rates another $10 per night for everyone while still claiming "we offer free parking!" Instead they chose to apply that fee only to those who actually have a vehicle.

Point: Disney hotel rates are high and it was nice that parking was included

Counterpoint: A parking fee was effectively built into the room rate, and shared by everyone including those who did not bring a car

When Disney decides to raise prices, it's more about the "how" than the "why". If resort parking was still "free", they would have goosed the room rates another $10 per night for everyone while still claiming "we offer free parking!" Instead they chose to apply that fee only to those who actually have a vehicle.
They also raised the room rates, though. They've never stopped raising the room rates while taking out amenities to charge additional fees.

They also raised the room rates, though. They've never stopped raising the room rates while taking out amenities to charge additional fees.
And people are still buying the product...

I have an AP for Disney and an AP for universal. The cost of the universal AP was covered by the discount I got on the room I booked in January. That room got everyone in our party a front of the line pass for every ride but Hagrid’s motorbike adventure and the Velocicoaster. We also got a 10% discount at pretty much every food booth, not just the sit down restaurants. Universal Studios has an AP lounge, where we picked up passholder magnets and grabbed sodas that we could use with the Arctic Chill machine (which didn’t work great, but we appreciated being able to make the sodas somewhat slushy). Are some of the rides similar to the offerings at Hershey Park or Six Flags? Yes. But the newer rides have theming similar to the newer Disney rides (and they’re just as smooth). I still love Disney, and I have a hard time imagining a trip to Orlando without a few days at WDW. But I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by Universal.

This has been a very interesting discussion if nothing else. Disney is a unique situation. Most hotels & motels are franchises. The "brand" doesn't control what they charge. On the land Disney owns there are 27 hotels. Not franchises, Disney owns them. In addition, there are (I think) eleven hotels which are other brands, Hilton/Waldorf, Four Seasons, Wyndham, Marriott (Dolphin & Swan) plus all the hotels in Disney Springs. Plus there is Shades of Green. Around 40 in total.

All of them charge for parking. The Disney owned resorts started charging for parking last. I know the Hilton in Disney Springs has charged for parking at least since the 1990's. All the larger resorts near Disneyworld charge for parking; The Gaylord Palms, Marriott World Center, and The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress all charge for parking. Travel on down to I Drive and start at Seaworld. The Doubletree, the Hilton, the Hyatt and all three Rosen hotels all charge for parking. Travel down Palm Parkway. More than half of the hotels charge for parking between Disney and Universal. Every hotel that is part of Universal charges for parking. All hotels in The Marriott Village across I-4 from Disney charge for parking.

It has nothing to do with being a "downtown" hotel or who owns the lot. All the hotels in DS own their lots. Same thing with those down Bonnet Creek Dr. and with The Four Seasons and Shades of Green. It has to do with what the market will bear. And from what I see with the crowds the market doesn't mind paying the parking fees.

Universal has wonderful rides. I was sad the Disney annual pass isn’t being sold right now but we’ll go to universal in the meantime.
Ironic you mentioned that. Just posted this in another thread on the subject of a Disney AP

Only hope is maybe, just maybe, once WDW sees just how much the Universal AP sales increased they may want to open sales back up again. Just depends on if they care about how many customers they loose to a competitor. Because loosing them they are. Only remains to be seen if that makes any difference to Disney.

I'm kinda thinking it may take till it's much closer to Epic Universe opening for Disney to pay any attention. That's still a few years away

Disney DOES care about their customers, and doesn't want wall-to-wall crowds with 3 hour waits for all rides. That's why Disney stopped season pass sales, which helps weekend crowds, and also put in the reservation system which helps control the crowds.

Universal isn't a destination like Disney is. They aren't being slammed like Disney post-covid. Once Disney feels like they aren't being slammed anymore, they'll loosen the restrictions. Probably not until spring 2023 at the earliest.

Universal only cares about the dollar. Not the customers. They have 2 parks which can be done in 1 day, a lot less entertainment - yet ticket prices are the same as Disney. Their fast passes cost 10-20x what Disney's do. Universal is just Disney-lite at the same prices. If you like that, you do you.
If you don’t think TDO cars about the dollar…..

I currently have UOAPs. The problem with Universal and has always been for me is I get bored pretty quick there. After a couple of days I'm ready to do something else. I buy UOAPs about every 4 or 5 years.

To the OP. If I'm not mistaken you can buy the weekday pass and when it comes up for renewal, you can upgrade to a higher tier pass.

I currently have UOAPs. The problem with Universal and has always been for me is I get bored pretty quick there. After a couple of days I'm ready to do something else. I buy UOAPs about every 4 or 5 years.

To the OP. If I'm not mistaken you can buy the weekday pass and when it comes up for renewal, you can upgrade to a higher tier pass.
We find that we offset the less time needed in the parks with more pool time at Universal. Their pool is more appealing with the bar service right at poolside. We do shorter park days combined with more pool time so it works out to be about the same in the end. I get bored at Disney pools really quick but even my sun hating DH will spend a day lounging and indulging in adult beverages in the pool at Universal.

Been waiting it out for quite a while now and starting to really lose my patience on being able to purchase Florida resident annual passes that are more than just the weekday ones. As a family we talked and are thinking of doing Universal passes instead. Anybody have any insight or opinions on the rare possibility Disney will actually give a crap about the customer and not their bottom line for once in the last few years and open up passes soon?
If the parks are always full, what is the incentive for Disney to offer FL resident passes? That just makes the parks even more crowded and lowers there average gate fee per day. There is a strong incentive as a company to eliminate it and keep ASP high.

If the parks are always full, what is the incentive for Disney to offer FL resident passes? That just makes the parks even more crowded and lowers there average gate fee per day. There is a strong incentive as a company to eliminate it and keep ASP high.
But those are the only passes they *are* offering - FL resident. Granted, it's only the weekday Pixie Dust Pass, but I'll bet a bunch of FL residents bought them with the idea of using them as they can this year and then upgrading at renewal time. That's what I did. It'll be interesting to see how much the prices go up on renewals in the near future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter